Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

looking at this crawler what do you think

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

looking at this crawler what do you think

Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at this crawler what do you think

http://www.hobby-estore.com/redcat-r...ler-truck.html
Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

Default RE: looking at this crawler what do you think

will take any advice. either rtr or kit doesnt matter
Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
cgflores

Nice super crawler...You have to check if you can easily get aftermarket parts for that just in case if you break something or do mods.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:50 PM
webbl19

Looks cool. You will only be able to get parts on line, thats the only bad part to those. There are some hobby shops that carry parts but none around me. I have a exceed nitro and they just ignore me when i come in there, bad buisness if you ask me.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
webbl19

oh and himoto has a rock crawler 1/10 scale and the guy that owns himotoracingusa.com (check the himoto forum) hes from new york also and i believe there are a few hobby shops over there that carry parts, ask him about it.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:01 PM
bigflex

from what I have seen the axle tubes aren't very strong. I would stay away form it if I were you. I have seen some pics with the tube broken form a small tumble.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:37 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not go with the Axial AX10?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:41 PM
webbl19

i think he is looking at scale, this redcat one is 1/8 scale.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

yeah i was looking for a 1/8th
Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 PM
The Mad Modder

At $250 for a 1/8 scale rtr, I really question the quality.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 PM
webbl19

it is cheap cause there is no demand for it, people have put such a negative vibe towards off brand stuff. i have a axial crawler and a exceed razor 1/8 buggy and honestly between the 2 they both have plastic all over the place and i dont see what the big difference between quality.

its like going to walmart and buying jeans or going to jc pennies and getting there jeans you are just buying a name, all the parts come from china anyways.

its more about how much can you spend without breaking the bank.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:12 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: webbl19

it is cheap cause there is no demand for it, people have put such a negative vibe towards off brand stuff. i have a axial crawler and a exceed razor 1/8 buggy and honestly between the 2 they both have plastic all over the place and i dont see what the big difference between quality.
Are you kidding me? All plastics are NOT the same. Depending on the quality, plastics can range from extremely strong fiber reinforced composite plastics to weak waxy plastics.

its like going to walmart and buying jeans or going to jc pennies and getting there jeans you are just buying a name, all the parts come from china anyways.
You haven't really taken the time to see where they come from have you? Just yesterday I bought a shirt from Pennies and guess where it was made? Bangladesh (not the best but much better than china). While there ARE a lot of chinese products floating around, they AREN'T all chinese.
Actually, I find "You get what you pay for." more appropriate.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:46 PM
hands without shadows

Looks cool. You will only be able to get parts on line, thats the only bad part to those. There are some hobby shops that carry parts but none around me. I have a exceed nitro and they just ignore me when i come in there, bad buisness if you ask me.
Sounds like a bad customer decision or whining if you ask me. You should have researched; anyone will tell you that hobby stores wont carry parts for Exceed and other chinese crap. If you did research then you knew it would be like this...
Old 08-08-2009, 08:16 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: FP 4LC4PON3

yeah i was looking for a 1/8th
If you want a big crawler, I'd reccommend you get a Tamiya Clodbuster kit and convert it to a crawler with one of the many conversion kits out there. You'll find the clod has massive aftertermarket support.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=TAM58321
If you'd like to know more about the Clod, this is a good thread to read.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

And likewise there's no demand for it because it's cheap.

There's quite a difference in how Wal-mart and JC Penny do business, though (especially in regards to treatment of employees). Like-wise with Redcat and Axial, Redcat being made in China and (correct me if I'm wrong) Axial is at least is Taiwan (AKA free China).

I know it's not the size you want, but I'd suggest something with better overall support. Depending on your budget you could get a really slick rig setup. RC4WD is a good place to look too for custom chassis and parts for existing trucks.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:36 PM
The Mad Modder

A few vids of what a clod crawler can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO51zGH6hkM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcG2Oac7Du0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WlkjP6cG-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uf6Dgjmx1Q
Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: cgflores

Nice super crawler...You have to check if you can easily get aftermarket parts for that just in case if you break something or do mods.

there is ZERO aftermarket support for these....i had one and like it for a bit, the stock radio is poop.. I switched it out for a futaba 4channel and you will need a better battery pack then the stock 2000mah one...and if you do buy 1 buy it from an ebay dealer and save yourself some money...I just sold mine ,and bought another type of rc.. I preferred my Venom Creeper over this anyday..
Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 AM
webbl19

honestly you guys where do think the other brands are made? look at the box. im almost positive none of them are made in the usa.

also it is a crawler it goes slow, you are not going to be breaking parts unless you are dropping it 10ft which i bet anything if a name brand landed that way it would break also. i will put some money on it right now.

you guys dont know what you are talking about, you know word of mouth and what you have read, i think you need to try before you talk, i will also bet none of you have even see this redcat.

anyways not trying to cause trouble. all i am saying is not everyone has money for these expensive toys. i have exceed and i have a brand off ebay that probably doesnt exist anymore, i also have axial, they are all the same, all upgradable.

do what you want, spend that money.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:32 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

honestly you guys where do think the other brands are made? look at the box. im almost positive none of them are made in the usa.

also it is a crawler it goes slow, you are not going to be breaking parts unless you are dropping it 10ft which i bet anything if a name brand landed that way it would break also. i will put some money on it right now.

you guys dont know what you are talking about, you know word of mouth and what you have read, i think you need to try before you talk, i will also bet none of you have even see this redcat.

anyways not trying to cause trouble. all i am saying is not everyone has money for these expensive toys. i have exceed and i have a brand off ebay that probably doesnt exist anymore, i also have axial, they are all the same, all upgradable.

do what you want, spend that money.

Umm yes I have seen and USED this redcat.. do not waste your money.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 AM
jenius8477
My Feedback: (1)

I love my Redcat Rockslide. the only down side to this is that it is too good at crawling. its like it is hard to find a good challenge. I actually put pillows all over my living room and do little crawling tournies with friends. I suggest you go with it. Redcat is a good company that stands behind their products. i had a small issue with the front steering servo and i sent it back and they sent me a higher torque metal gear for a replacement. all in all, i would and will buy more from them in the future.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Alpha Male

I'm sure it is a good crawler considering that it is a MOA, but those motors are only 380 rather than 540, right? Any issue with them getting overheated? Maybe since there are two of them it makes up for them being smaller.

The Rockslide is just so damn ugly! [sm=47_47.gif] Did I say that? I suppose if you took off those 'wing' looking things over the axles and used a better looking body, seated lower over the chassis.....it might be a whole different looking truck.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Of course my local hobby shop does not carry the Redcat brand, so I probably would not buy one, myself. Or would I? [sm=50_50.gif] It might be nice to have a truck that is too good at crawling. No, I'll have to stick with the AX10 that I have slowing been trying to perfect. Sometimes I think it is a money pit because I'm always trying to make it better with aftermarket parts, but its my money pit!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:47 PM
jenius8477

No it is 540 size motors. and i am in the process of taking the wing things off as we speak lol. i think it was a clever little way to incorparate their logo on the truck but its getting removed. and i swapped the body out last night. so yeah, with a little effort, it looks pretty good
Old 10-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Alpha Male

Cool! Post some pictures when you finish the truck......I wanna see. [8D]
Old 10-21-2009, 05:40 PM
monsterbombs

i think it looks like dross.

then again i think most moa rigs look rubbish.

my 2c.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 AM
jenius8477

i just realized that the little wing things are actually the servo mounts so its gonna be a little harder than just removing them lol. when i get a workaround i will post pics

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.