Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

fixed dogbone, now new problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:08 PM
lxjoe420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed dogbone, now new problem

So went outside to run my truck and noticed the truck had trouble turning and noticed a slight bend in the front dogbone. Think it was the stump i hit last time i ran it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19915.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1299577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31871.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1299578  
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: fixed dogbone, now new problem

You can still run it, but it will put stress on your front end. From the shaking, like your bearings will wear faster and so on. So if you want to, you can run it, but its best to replace it.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have access to a vice they are easy to bend back straight
Old 10-22-2009, 10:47 AM
robriley

either a vise, or lay it on a flat hard surface, and use a hammer to gently pound it back straight. I had the same problem, and that's how i fixed mine.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 PM
lxjoe420

Yeah after i get some work done that i've been neglecting to do, do to playing with the truck i'm going to try and bend it back. this truck is just to much fun
Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 PM
lxjoe420

Fixed the dogbone thanks to the sugestions. but now the truck is taking really wide turns. Just to get it to run in a straight line the steering trim has to be turned all the way to the left. any ideas how to fix this? like i said i've already tried adjusting the steering trim on the remote control and i've replaced the batteries in the truck as well as the remote.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Revolauncher

Your steering servo got wasted from the sounds of it. Replace it with a metal gear high torque servo.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 PM
lxjoe420

Does anybody know where i can find a article or information on how to replace or install servo's?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:03 PM
chevyderek72

Make sure your servo horn is on centered. Cause marks aftershock will sometimes from a hit get all messed up so you gotta take the servo horn off and center it again.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Mickstix

Also make sure your alignment/setup is still good.. (IE: Camber, Toe-in/out, etc.) Sometimes those hard shots can mess up your turnbuckles..  I made a setup board back when I was running onroad touring cars, but any flat surface will do. Just use a marker and straight edge to make some straight lines at the center, and where the left and right wheels go. Set the car on the center line and see how the wheel/tires line up..  Make adjustments accordingly.. Once ya get the setup where ya want it, and make sure your servo horns are centered on the servo (so they go both directions evenly) you can take her out and use the "trim" to fine tune the steering.. Hope that helps!!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 PM
lxjoe420

well with the help of the neighbor the steering on the truck got fixed today. I still don't know what everything on the truck is called but the problem was that, the arm coming off the servo that connects to the tires to turn them the piece with the spring and spacers that rotate some how came loose and i loss the spacers and another piece to put tension on the rotating piece(sorry if it doesn't make sense like i said i don't know what everything is called) well with the help of the nieghbor we clump together 3 or 4 washers and screwed the cover back over the servo arm and it gave the truck enough tension to turn the wheels like they suppost to turn. Just incase anyone is wondering the truck is a 1/8 scale eathquake
Old 10-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Mickstix

Glad ya figured it out and got her fixed!! You should try and get it to your lhs asap, and see if they have a replacement servo saver or servo horn (whatever spring loaded part ya replaced with the washers) cause w/o the spring loaded arms, it'll probably break the servo gearsnext time ya hit something solid, and servos can get expensive..