Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

motor not sucking

Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 PM
culver city steve
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor not sucking

i just traded the the serpent for a HPI savage.
the savage is pretty sweet, all hoped up with the integrity parts and a roll cage.
im having some trouble getting it started, i got it started for a second the other day for a couple of seconds. but its not wanting to suck any gas into the motor. when i take the fuel line off the pipe, and blow, to get gas in to the motor, it will fire up, and stall.
i noticed that it was leaking from the carb. is this normal? what would cause the motor not to keep the gas flowing? the gas tank is also shakes, and might have a very small leak, like 2 days of sitting there will be gas on floor. would this stop the flow?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: motor not sucking

Integy*

Any type of leak will cause the motor to run erratically. Replace your fuel tank, get new fuel tubing, seal the motor/carb area, make sure that the exhaust doesn't have any leaks, then try it.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:47 PM
bigwaltc

Yeah you cant have any leaks fuel or air [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 10-23-2009, 07:57 PM
culver city steve

ok cool. i didnt know if that was some kind of overflow, or what. thanks for your time.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

By the looks of your picture, either your MSN (mid-speed needle, the one right below the carb fuel nipple) has screwed in completely or has fallen out of the carb itself. This would cause the problems you are having definitely; You can blow enough fuel into the engine to start it, but without that needle, the engine will suck in air and stall out. Unscrew that needle to flush with carb (if its still in there) or replace it with this part # HPI15282. You might want to find the source of your fuel leak as well as that will also cause erratic running of the engine. Cheers dude [8D]
Old 10-24-2009, 02:39 AM
-SomeGuy-

Maybe not what you want to hear but I would replace the engine completely. The guys are right on the money with what your problems might be but starting off with a used engine that has lived a life you know nothing about is a headache to say the least. Maybe it has sucked in dirt through that hole and worn down the piston/sleeve or any other number of things.

Replace the fuel tank and tubing, get a known reliable engine at low cost like a mach 427 off an LST and go from there. Yes you have to go through the trouble of breaking in a new engine but in the long run it will be better than chassing after whatever problems it had before you got it.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:05 AM
Nesal

I agree with Someguy
Old 10-24-2009, 05:05 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but your title is classic

You need to seal those leaks up.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 AM
steed2-inactive

pull that mill out and remove the clutch and flywheel ....almost guarantee that the front seal is not even attached to the bearing anymore. it wil not pump fuel because it is simply moving air back and forth in the bottom end. those engines have problems with the front seals. get and axial. they are cheap and run great for the money. id say go with a picco or lrp or mach but really do u want to spend that amount of money ? lol anyways hope everything works out for you.

by the way you can buy the bearing for the bottom end by purchasing an engine case ...but dont ...throw thAT engine away!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:45 PM
culver city steve

thanks guys, im on my way to get the MSN, i cant imagine that it was ran with out that. when i got it, the gas tank was 1/2 way out, so im guessing he was getting ready to swap the tank... ill cross my fingers on the motor being good. ill let you guys know what the out come is
Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: steed2
get and axial. they are cheap and run great for the money. id say go with a picco or lrp or mach but really do u want to spend that amount of money ? lol anyways hope everything works out for you.

by the way you can buy the bearing for the bottom end by purchasing an engine case ...but dont ...throw thAT engine away!
first thing is a NO, axail .28 green heads are the SAME thing, as the K4.6, look at the carbs, and i've read from an engine modder that they're the same, they're also made by the same company soo...
as for the motor itself, i have that same one, and i sealed it up last night for the second time, to stop feul leaking out of the carb base and mid range needle, i alleady had teflon tape around the needle but that did squat tho it moved less, but now i'm letting the sealant cure aka i won't have time till uhhhhh, next teusday, probally friday as in nov 6 friday, to test it, (yes very busy me) but if it doesn't seal up, then i'm gunna be getting a dynamite big red .28 and an 086 pipe and flux shocks to deal with the header incombatability.

also agreed on the lrp/picco

lug also agrees with someguy

the lug