Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

main shaft straightening tool

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

main shaft straightening tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:56 PM
dennisef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default main shaft straightening tool

I have done some comments in a post about straightening out main shafts for re-use. I got some interesting replies that go from "only use new," and "roll it across the glass, if it is straight, use it". I realize that for some expensive machines this is not an option. So if you are a tinkerer, you might be interested in this.
I am fllying the AXE cp, a Blade and a Blade pro. These are inexpensive helis that have already been rebuilt a couple of times during training. Two of those are flying a nice disk with straightened main shafts. I have tried a couple of ideas at home and have found a tool that looks like it will work. I went to hfreight today and looked at the vises thinking to modify one in to a press for straightening shafts and so on. They have another type of press there that looked like it would work for what I want to do. My home built tools leave a great deal to be desired. I bought an arbor press for $33. There are two sizes, the small 1/2 ton will work right out of the box for the stand alone shafts that have detachable main gears. You can use the presses different openings to suit the bend in the shaft.
( You should get one before the Chinese find out we have all of their stuff here and want it back.) The cheaper shafts with the main gear pressed (poorly) on to the shaft required a little extra work.

For the Blade helis, I built up a steel block with a groove in some 1/4"elevated pads on one side to let the press go past center on the downstroke. If you press to a flat surface, the material doesn't bend to remove the wow in the shaft. I managed to do 5 Blade main gear shafts and one for the AXE. All of them have been used at least twice before. That's roughly $42 in new parts. If I get another build out of each one, the arbor press is paid for.
I check them against a machined straight edge and rolling on the laminate top of the work bench as I straighten them. Now we have to find a way to fix burred teeth on the gears.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:19 AM
mgros

Default RE: main shaft straightening tool

Please send pictures.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

A power drill and a 2x4 is all you need.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:44 PM
dennisef

I don't have pictures. You can go to the hf site and search for the arbor press. I will be away for a while before I could do any pictures. The arbor press is used to press bearings in or out of shives etc.. The base section has a wheel with 4 notches cut in to it. Each notch would hold a shive and let the press pass thru on the down stroke. You only press mildly when doing a shaft and keep checking it with the straight edge. I will be using it to straighten aluminum arrows in the spring and I'll figure out how to use it to straighten aluminum tailbooms. Should work the same as it does on shafts. I may have to make a piece that will hold the tailboom in a slot and a longer section to push down with on the end of the press plunger. The longer slot and pusher section will do milder bends to straighten the aluminum without stressing it more. I'm talking about moderate bends in aluminum not severe ones that will break if overstressed back.
How does the 2x4 and power drill method work? Do you turn the shaft with the drill while pressing down with the 2x4?