Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

8FG or Aurora 9

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 PM
fly guy eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8FG or Aurora 9

Okay guys which one should I get for Xmas the 8FG or the Aurora 9. Also, could someone tell me more about the telemetry screen on the A9. Thanks guys.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 8FG or Aurora 9

No question about it, definitely the Airtronics SD-10G!

Just kidding... the Hitec Aurora 9 seems to offer more features for the money, and the price of additional receivers will be half as much for the Hitec system compared to the Futaba radio system. The Airtronics SD-10G is well worth a look, too. You should be really happy with any of these fine radio systems.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is another thread on this subject currently running.

Aside from having 9 channels, the A9 will allow you to still operate your 72Mhz Futaba PPM and 72Mhz Hitec Rx's, as well.

If you have no investment in older Futaba or Hitec Rx's then it is just a matter of the number of channels, the look and feel, and the programming differences.

In the past, Hitec PPM Rx's would work with Hitec or Futaba. Like PCM, once you pick a 2.4 Tx from a manufacturer, you will only be able to use that manufacturer's 2.4 Rx's.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 PM
fly guy eddy

Thanks guys for your response. The A9 sounds like it maybe the better radio.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:42 PM
carrellh

Since the Futaba doesn't exist yet, and the Aurora is very new, there is very little real world info. If you can wait until a LHS gas both in stock you can do a side by side comparison and decide based on things YOU care about rather than based on words in a web forum mostly written by people who have never seen or touched either transmitter.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 PM
fly guy eddy

That's a great point you just brought up Carrell. I should try them out in person.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:34 AM
rctom

Just as a point of perspective, I owned a Futaba 12FG (as well as having owned DX7, X9303, JR 12X, and SD-10G plus various older Futaba radios with Spektrum modules).

When I got the Aurora a couple weeks ago I sold all my Futaba gear. The touch screen, the telemetry, and the easy setup made any other choice impossible. The lower cost of the Hitec receivers means I can replace all my Futaba stuff and pocket about $600 in the bargain.

The 8FG is a subset of the 12FG, so you can do the math.

TF
Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 AM
pilotpete2

The 8Fg certainly does exist, Towers initial stock sold out very fasst
The one unknown factor is just how robust Hitec's RF link will be. While Futaba had two issues early on with FASST, they addressed those problems and have established a very good track record in this most basic and fundamental area.
Pete
Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 PM
fly guy eddy

Great stuff guys. Keep it rolling. Your comments and suggestions are helping me make a decision on which radio to get.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:02 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

One thing's for sure... Hitec didn't rush this to market! If you're going to be last, you'd better take your time and be the best.

The 2.4ghz technology is very sound, and arguably the most advanced of any system . It utilizes 20 channel continuous hopping, and has additional safety features like "SPC" (Supplemental Power Connection) as well as a built in low battery warning.

Mike.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:12 PM
fly guy eddy

Hey Hitec Mike, just the person I wanted to talk to. Could you explain to me about the telemetry function ( battery, rpm, fuel, etc ) and how it works.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:35 PM
MikeMayberry

The battery voltage is built into the RX so it shows up on the TX screen at start up. The other telemetry items are associated with the "Sensor Station" which have the sensors attached to it and then plugs into the RX to transmit the data. When these are present the sensor screen on the Aurora can be viewed. It consists of four screens... 1. GPS which shows the Lat/ Long, time, date and signal strength. 2.RPM where you set the number of blades. 3. Temp where you can see the minimum, maximum and average temps of each sensor. Finally there is the "Cockpit" screen which shows you the Speed and Altitude (calculated from the GPS,) a fuel gauge for gas or glow (4 levels,) the RPM's and Temp sensors, all on one screen.

You can also connect the module to a PC through the HPP-22 USB interface and log the data. There is also an app that will let you see your models flight path on Google Earth.

Sensor station and sensors are not due until Feb. now though.

Mike.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

The 8Fg certainly does exist, Towers initial stock sold out very fasst
The one unknown factor is just how robust Hitec's RF link will be. While Futaba had two issues early on with FASST, they addressed those problems and have established a very good track record in this most basic and fundamental area.
Pete
I have about 15 flights on my Aurora now in 2 different planes, one 30cc and one with a 55cc engine. To date the RF link has been 100% solid. When I turn things on the TX and RX connect instantly and every time unlike my Spektrum/JR which occasionally would not connect. When I range check I use low power mode and walk out at least 160 feet (about twice what they recommend) and then I face AWAY from the model with my body between me and the radio. This range check method has only worked for me on Hitec and Futaba. JR, Spektrum and Airtronics have all required that I face the model to get a good range check at this range.

Also when you turn on the TX and then the RX the TX gives 4 short beeps to indicate that the link is good and it is receiving telemetry. This is very reassuring, I know it's connected and the condition of the plane's battery.

Now, my test is not comprehensive, just practical application. But at this experience level the only other radio technology that's been this solid is Futaba FASST, and FASST does not have the telemetry nor the touch screen, and their receivers are twice the price.

BTW my testing has been with the 7 channel receiver that has only 1 antenna. The 9 channel has two, so things can only get better.

Speaking of antennas, the little metal can on the end of the antenna turned out to be real handy. I just stuck a little strip of velcro to it and that allows me to attach the antenna anywhere I like in about 3 seconds.

TF
Old 11-08-2009, 04:45 PM
fly guy eddy

This info is AWESOME ! Thanks Mike and rctom. The Aurora 9 will be my next radio. Hey Mike one more question, what will be the price of the sensor station if you know off hand?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM
rudder turns

Hi rctom, Many years ago when I built a heathkit 8 channel radio, in the instructions they told you that the best way to range check your radio is to point the antenna straight at the plane.They had a drawing and it looked heart shaped,with the weakest point at the tip of the antenna.Try it,thanks ED
Old 11-13-2009, 11:30 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: rudder turns

Hi rctom, Many years ago when I built a heathkit 8 channel radio, in the instructions they told you that the best way to range check your radio is to point the antenna straight at the plane.They had a drawing and it looked heart shaped,with the weakest point at the tip of the antenna.Try it,thanks ED
2.4 ghz. is a different animal. The microwave signal is dissipated by solid objects so facing away from the model is a worst-case scenario.

Did I give the impression I was having a problem? I find no problem with the A9 at all.

TF
Old 11-13-2009, 11:45 AM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: fly guy eddy

This info is AWESOME ! Thanks Mike and rctom. The Aurora 9 will be my next radio. Hey Mike one more question, what will be the price of the sensor station if you know off hand?
There will be a couple different packages, as well as all items individually, but the full version with Sensor Station, HPP-22 USB interface, (4) Temp, (2) RPM, Fuel, and GPS will be around $260.

Mike.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 PM
fly guy eddy

Thanks Mike for the info about the sensor station. I have good news for you. I pre-ordered my A9. a Christmas gift for myself.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:06 PM
bigbear_fin

Is there anyway to get example 3s LiPos voltage through telemetry to radio display. I am flying typical electic plane with typical 3s setup and I want to know battery voltage when I am flying. Best option could be that you tell how big battery is in plane in mAh and telemetry shows how much mAh is left on battery and how long is predicted flying time.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 PM
MikeMayberry

Powering the RX via the SPC from the main battery will show the battery voltage on the screen. In the future it will be possible to set a custom low battery warning so you know when to land.

Mike.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:32 PM
c-130RCpilot

Hey Mike,

Could you tell me of the Aurora 9 does/will have a certain GPS capability. I'm looking for a feature that would make the transmitter emit a beep or tone when the airplane has passed a certain GPS (either a latitude or a longitude) point. The practical application would be in knowing when you've passed a high tree line on approach, or when trying to avoid other fixed obstacles that may be within an approach pattern. It seems that lots of flying sites seem to have tree lines. This would also be a great feature to aid those with limited depth perception. If the Aurora 9 does not have this feature I wold think it would only be a matter of a little reprogramming with the GPS add on.

Any thoughts on if the Aurora 9 has this feature or if it may in the future?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:02 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish the Aurora had a model match feature!!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 AM
TimBle

i had the same choice, after eliminating other systems. I opted for the Futaba 8FG. It felt better in my hands and i thought the red sticks to be a little tacky.My big gripe was the large screens illegibility in sunlight. I thought this would be a problem when looking for telemetry information while flying.After a day with the demo i decided it was not for me. An excellent product though. Please do not ruin it with modelmatch!I see so many people have incidents with model match. At least in systems without it you can change model in flight quickly and still save the plane. With MM you're in doo doo street.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:54 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: TimBle i had the same choice, after eliminating other systems. I opted for the Futaba 8FG. It felt better in my hands and i thought the red sticks to be a little tacky.My big gripe was the large screens illegibility in sunlight. I thought this would be a problem when looking for telemetry information while flying.After a day with the demo i decided it was not for me. An excellent product though. Please do not ruin it with modelmatch!I see so many people have incidents with model match. At least in systems without it you can change model in flight quickly and still save the plane. With MM you're in doo doo street.
This is a very old thread, what the 8FG does not haveamongst the many other missing features, is Voice Telemetry and wireless 3DGPS. viewing..
Areminder of previous recent postsfor Aurora owners and those with Spectra Pro modules fitted to other model/brand TX,

HTS-Voice Telemetry Voice Announcing System
HTS-Navi AFHSS 2.4GHz USB Telemetry Receiver
"also debuting the new Sensor Station "Blue" for electrics that will have Voltage (unlimited) and Amperage (50A or 200A) which will replace one of the RPM's and the Fuel of the original, so it will still have 4 temps, one RPM and GPS as well. "

Official announcement for these and many more new items at the IHobby show in Chicago this weekend - an interesting thread....

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98376.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1520918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26168.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1520919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70371.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1520920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89330.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1520921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68327.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1520922  
Old 10-22-2010, 05:31 AM
TimBle

ok that looks nice but I want a Heads up display.
not another voice thrown into the quagmire of sound on the flight line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.