Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How to handle a difficult pilot!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How to handle a difficult pilot!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Srewinkel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to handle a difficult pilot!

"Here's a suggestion. Tell him that if he doesn't want to post his card he needs to wear it on his person. Tell him to go get one of those pin on fishing license holders and put it on his hat or shirt."

I agree with this post.  I'm not out to be a "Rebel", and break all rules I can.  The county rule is have AMA to fly, so if you want to fly get AMA, the "club rule" is post on the board.  not being part of the club, I shouldn't be forced to abide by your rules. I agree if you want to fly at AMA event get AMA. I say follow all rules that are in place, but don't make people follow your rules because of your opinions.  If he was flying 72 Mhz, yeah he should post his Freq, but he is not, he is not causing a safety hazard. If the county rule is to post your card, then post it. 

This is a silly situation on both sides.  The guy should post his card just to keep the peace, but he is not required by law to do so. I side it the OP to a degree. Politely approach the guy and discuss what is standard at the site. If it is that big of an issue that you need to get on a forum and find out how to handle it, then call law enforcement.  I would hate to be the cop called out to a park because someone didn't pin a paper card to a board, and someone else felt it was such a concern that I had to be called out there.

As stated before I fly on state land were a lot of other people fly, we don't need a club to keep the peace, The majority out ways the minority. If the group feels that someone is causing a problem the group will handle it.  There are very few sites to fly as we all know, so people will comply to the group wishes, or be forced to fly somewhere else, or at another time.  

Old 11-09-2009, 02:53 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

I wonder if some time in the near future i will be reading about this flying field being gone because some people have a problem with authority and following common sense rules. Sad to see that some people (and theirs one in every club) cant act like adults and follow the same rules that everyone else does.
Flying fields are to dam hard to come by to risk losing it. Believe me when the local government becomes involved you can kiss that field good bye.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In the future we will all have subdural chips implanted with our current membership status. The Field Marshals will then be able to simply scan us for current eligibility. Violators will receive a crippling shock with just the push of a button, no people skills or need for confrontation will be required.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Capt Easy

ALL I CAN SAY IS, THIS INDIVIDUAL IS A GUEST OF A LOCAL CLUB. DESPITE HIS AMA MEMBERSHIP OR USE OF 2.4 , 6.2 OR A 2X4, COMMON COURTESY ON HIS PART IN RETURN FOR THE PRIVILEDGE OF USING THEIR FACILITY SHOULD DICTATE A MORE APPROPRIATE RESPONCE FROM HIM....
Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
combatpigg

He is not a guest of the club. The field does not belong to the club. The field is there for all who have and can show proof of AMA membership to enjoy. The problem is with how to enforce the stipulation that all guests of the COUNTY have to show proof of AMA membership.
Having a guy in a plaid shirt and blue jeans walk up to another guy in a plaid shirt and blue jeans and demand to see his card is what we are talking about here.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dragonov3

I wonder if some time in the near future i will be reading about this flying field being gone because some people have a problem with authority and following common sense rules. Sad to see that some people (and theirs one in every club) cant act like adults and follow the same rules that everyone else does.
Flying fields are to dam hard to come by to risk losing it. Believe me when the local government becomes involved you can kiss that field good bye.
Well here we have a long thread which I have avoided for personal reasons. So here is a "FABLE". FABLE ??? Think on it.

Once upon a time a club split up. One group, CA, was more on the self providing side, that liked the club atmosphere. The other group ZB consisted of a few that were going to provide a field of a sort, and charge all others to fly but no say in their administration not a club, just pay, fly, and keep mouth shut. OK, it was their field so they have that right.

Club group had A who purchased 100 acres, cash, and provided 30 acres for CA to lease at a fair market price until they could purchase it. 18 months later they did with a small down-payment: which was 1/2 the rent already paid. Their per acre price was same as A had originally paid for it. A held a mortgage at very low interest. Everything went well and the group prospered and built a fine flying facility. Water, electrics, kitchen area, 4500 ft. shelter over concrete, indoor toliet facilities and a good set-up, yet ran a tight ship reference safety.
After 9 years, the club elected officers that had other ideas. They purchased another 20 acres and changed mortgage holders. They really got "took" even though A sold them the acreage at 60% of market price. Their new "banker" makes out well.

While most old safety rules do exist on paper the current officers pay little attention to them. Club rules state no 3D or high speed passes down the runway when another flight station is occuppied. In the last year, 3D and such wild flying has really increased.
Sometimes there are 3-4 hovering big birds over the runway, etc. and the Pres says, "I don't want to talk about."

Here is how I have heard someone is going to have some fun. Last week these guys were tearing up the runway, one slammed into an older gentleman's 80" Cub and demolished it with minimal damage to the BIG BIRD knife-edging low down the runway.
Things went bad to worse while A was trying to instruct and a couple times yelled at the wild bunch about their behaviour. They like to fly behind the flight line to up close to the pilot stations, then pass down the row of flight stations just a few feet from the other pilots. They went on about their business.

Then A picked up his Q-500 and went into the sky. Some HIGH passes and some nearly out-of-sight vertical climbs, then down the runway 4' off the ground and 3Ds scattered. A few more of these and there was complaining among the wild bunch but no one confronted A. Guess what, A is reported to have a bunch of old expendable planes and engines in his barn. It is also reported he will speak with the wild bunch and if they cannot obey rules then he will not either. It is possible that there will be turmoil in the skys. Should be fun. Their choice! Wanna' buy a ticket? Don't worry about A. He can protect himself very well.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is simple.......start with the land owners rules.

1. Rules for the field are what? AMA required to fly.

Do the rules go further stating that 72mhz put the card on the freq board? Do the rules say the same for 2.4 or is it a blanket statment saying AMA cards must be posted to fly.

Or is there no rule at all from the landowner?

2. a club uses the field and has its own rule that posting of AMA card on any freq is required. Great for that club. Has no effect on those that are not in the club though.

Its simple. The club needs to petiton the land owner to change their rule that not only AMA is required but that the card must be on the freq board (regardless of freq) so that the club can "help" ensure everyone is in compliance with insurance. Then when the person won't post it, you call in the police.

As the OP cannot be mad for someone refusing to follow a club rule. They are not part of your club and maybe they don't like your club or its more restrictive rules or fees etc etc etc.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

hossfly; I might just be interested in tickets, front row reserved?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 PM
cccdad

Id buy A ticket for that show!!
Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 PM
rgm762

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01

This is simple.......start with the land owners rules.

1. Rules for the field are what? AMA required to fly.

Do the rules go further stating that 72mhz put the card on the freq board? Do the rules say the same for 2.4 or is it a blanket statment saying AMA cards must be posted to fly.

Or is there no rule at all from the landowner?

2. a club uses the field and has its own rule that posting of AMA card on any freq is required. Great for that club. Has no effect on those that are not in the club though.

Its simple. The club needs to petiton the land owner to change their rule that not only AMA is required but that the card must be on the freq board (regardless of freq) so that the club can ''help'' ensure everyone is in compliance with insurance. Then when the person won't post it, you call in the police.

As the OP cannot be mad for someone refusing to follow a club rule. They are not part of your club and maybe they don't like your club or its more restrictive rules or fees etc etc etc.
the problem isn't as simple as you might think. most public flying sites only have one rule, and will only want that one rule, the ama card, ccc's club is just trying to get every pilot on the same page, problem is, he has a former member that knows this and is just being anal
Old 11-09-2009, 06:17 PM
kruzin55

Here's another tactic. Sounds like alot of bad blood, especially since he was the past club president. As such, I have to assume thathe has some friend somewhere in the club.I wouldpoint out the issue to the friend and see if he can be an intermediary.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 PM
combatpigg

Hoss, practice those low, head on approaches at full speed with hard outside loop turns done at the very last second going back away. Get the bottom side of those loops down to Official AMA Rulebook Stunt Pattern standards, which I believe is 5 feet. [8D] Those devil may care, fun lovin' guys will get a big bang out of that.
Also, pick a good time to yell out, "I don't got it, radio's DEAD!!" and do some consecutive outside loops at full speed right over the runway.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM
cccdad

ORIGINAL: kruzin55

Here's another tactic. Sounds like alot of bad blood, especially since he was the past club president. As such, I have to assume that he has some friend somewhere in the club. I would point out the issue to the friend and see if he can be an intermediary.
Good suggestion, tried that with his brother in law that I am friends with. Didn't work FCMG just got pissed off.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:22 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Don't worry about A. He can protect himself very well.
Not hard to figure who the "A" is. LOL

Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM
sparkknocker
My Feedback: (2)

This is pretty funny. I agree with littlecrankshaf on this. Some people are just too concerned. Fly your plane and don't sweat the small stuff. I live in an area where the city built and owns the rc field. I do not post my AMA card because it is silly club non-sense. And if someone told me to check in at the 2.4 freq board I would probably smile and keep doing what I was doing.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:59 PM
combatpigg

Do you care if the guy standing next to you flying his 120 mph Q500 has insurance or not?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:04 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Do you care if the guy standing next to you flying his 120 mph Q500 has insurance or not?

Why should we. I have mine! I am not relying on him or anyone else... for my needs...He can worry about his...
Old 11-09-2009, 09:09 PM
combatpigg

You're right, we shouldn't care if everyone who uses our fields is insured or not.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
littlecrankshaf

I don’t lose sleep at night wondering if he has more important things like health insurance, life insurance, or homeowners insurance either. It is about time people pick their feet up and watch where they put them down at and quit relying on others to do for them…Liability insurance is for the purchaser of the policy…despite the misconstrued and communistic viewpoints otherwise.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, let's all take a deep breath and calm down here.

Ken

Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ok guys, let's all take a deep breath and calm down here.

Ken

I was being calm...sorry it comes off otherwise.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 PM
jship

Someone is going to take the hurt feelings to the city....... the next thing they know they will be crying about not haveing a field to fly at. Sometimes You have to pick Your battles. You know He has a current AMA, Hes not flying on 72. It might be time to ease up a little and enjoy the sport!' Either that or prepare for battle.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't mean to say that was directed solely at you. Unfortunately the system will say I'm replying to somebody. I was just asking the group to take a breath!!!

Ken

Old 11-09-2009, 09:34 PM
psb667

Hell yes i want a ticket when is this slug fest going down.
ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: dragonov3

Well here we have a long thread which I have avoided for personal reasons. So here is a ''FABLE''. FABLE ??? Think on it.

Once upon a time a club split up. One group, CA, was more on the self providing side, that liked the club atmosphere. The other group ZB consisted of a few that were going to provide a field of a sort, and charge all others to fly but no say in their administration not a club, just pay, fly, and keep mouth shut. OK, it was their field so they have that right.

Club group had A who purchased 100 acres, cash, and provided 30 acres for CA to lease at a fair market price until they could purchase it. 18 months later they did with a small down-payment: which was 1/2 the rent already paid. Their per acre price was same as A had originally paid for it. A held a mortgage at very low interest. Everything went well and the group prospered and built a fine flying facility. Water, electrics, kitchen area, 4500 ft. shelter over concrete, indoor toliet facilities and a good set-up, yet ran a tight ship reference safety.
After 9 years, the club elected officers that had other ideas. They purchased another 20 acres and changed mortgage holders. They really got ''took'' even though A sold them the acreage at 60% of market price. Their new ''banker'' makes out well.

While most old safety rules do exist on paper the current officers pay little attention to them. Club rules state no 3D or high speed passes down the runway when another flight station is occuppied. In the last year, 3D and such wild flying has really increased.
Sometimes there are 3-4 hovering big birds over the runway, etc. and the Pres says, ''I don't want to talk about.''

Here is how I have heard someone is going to have some fun. Last week these guys were tearing up the runway, one slammed into an older gentleman's 80'' Cub and demolished it with minimal damage to the BIG BIRD knife-edging low down the runway.
Things went bad to worse while A was trying to instruct and a couple times yelled at the wild bunch about their behaviour. They like to fly behind the flight line to up close to the pilot stations, then pass down the row of flight stations just a few feet from the other pilots. They went on about their business.

Then A picked up his Q-500 and went into the sky. Some HIGH passes and some nearly out-of-sight vertical climbs, then down the runway 4' off the ground and 3Ds scattered. A few more of these and there was complaining among the wild bunch but no one confronted A. Guess what, A is reported to have a bunch of old expendable planes and engines in his barn. It is also reported he will speak with the wild bunch and if they cannot obey rules then he will not either. It is possible that there will be turmoil in the skys. Should be fun. Their choice! Wanna' buy a ticket? Don't worry about A. He can protect himself very well.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: jship

Someone is going to take the hurt feelings to the city....... the next thing they know they will be crying about not haveing a field to fly at. Sometimes You have to pick Your battles. You know He has a current AMA, Hes not flying on 72. It might be time to ease up a little and enjoy the sport!' Either that or prepare for battle.
Great points and it really is that simple. If he were doing something truly unsafe then bare all the weight you can muster but we should never let it leave our sites that this hobby/sport is about having fun...not compliance for mere compliance sake...we get that enough all day long every where else. Fly…have fun…hang out with some cool guys…burn some worms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.