Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

This is a great site. I put it into my Favorites folder.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kit arrived today. Nicely packaged on April 7,1975 (so the newspapers say). The original Tower Hobby bill states it was sold for $33.60, no sales tax. Shipping $1.00 for a grand total of $34.60. Jeeze.

Anyone think the hardware would still be good?

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

Nice website, I have the purchase pending on the Midwest Strikemaster kit. It was a steal for $85.00 complete when you consider that dbalsa was selling the wing cores only for $40+ dollars at one point in time. I believe Eurekaaircraft is selling the cores for at least that much. Couple of nice build threads on the RCU.

Jim

ORIGINAL: tailskid

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php

WHAT A COLLECTION!!! Just go there an browse...oh the memories....thanks for the link Paul!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15724.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1300698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55723.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1300699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98571.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1300700  
Old 10-23-2009, 11:36 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got my jewel 2 days ago. a project i've been wanting to do for years now just got closer!!!!!!!!! cornell micheals cut this 77' hughes h-1 racer from "scale plans" inc. got the cowl made by fiberglass specialities and retracts system from century jet gear. i live just 20 miles from the spruce goose musium and i'll be putting it on display there at their aniversity of the gooses flight. then i'll demo fly it at the r/c field next to mus. should be a lot of fun.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Strykaas

Where was this kit during all these years ??? Lost somewhere ? Fortunately you haven't moved since !
Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

for some years it was just a distant dream. then about 5 years ago i did some resreach on the web and found the plans for the racer so i ordered them. then i called fiberglass specialities to see if they could make a cowl for the racer, they said they could but he explained that he would have to make a mold for it because of it's special shape and that he would have to make it in 2 pieces then join it out of the mold. i gave him the go ahead and was very please with the cowl when i got it. looked around for some retracts for it, and decided on century jet for them. so now all that left was to either cut the kit out for myself or because of time constraints have the kit cut by a professional cutter. in surfing r/uc forums i came across this man called cornell micheals kit cutter. he is old school type guy and cuts his kits by hand from plans. saws and sands each part to perfection takes time this way but the parts are perfect. so last tuesday i got the cut kit at my door. i'm very pleased that now i can start building my dream plane the hughes h-1 racer. some years ago i herd that col. bob thacker of scale fame built one of these so i called him and we spoke for some time about the hobby and the h-1 and he gave my some real good tips on building and flying this jewel. real nice guy. thanks bob. so there is my story up to now. the rest will come soon. i'll keep in touch!!!!!! fujiman out
Old 10-28-2009, 02:16 PM
TIREMAN302

I'm 40 years old, been building balsa airplanes for over 30 years. I remember my first kit was a Flite Line Heinkel He 100 that my dad and I built.
Now my oldest son(7 years old), is following in my foot steps. For me, the joy of flying is heathen by the pure pleasure of building. Taking a kit of balsa and cutting,gluing, sanding, and finishing it to reach the ultimate goal of seeing it fly. This world has become so fast paced that the simplest pleasure of creating is almost non existence.
      We are building his first plane, Guillows P-47( converting to electric R/C ) and showing him pleasure of building. I'm teaching him to fly on an ARF foam trainer( inexpensive and easy to repair ). After he masters the basics, then we'll try the P-47( with dad on a buddy box).

Joe

Old 11-06-2009, 07:04 PM
MikeDoug

Great thread.  I've bookmarked several of the sites linked here.  Has anyone built anything from D & L or Eureka?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Built their Gizmo (D&L) - EXCELLENT kit and great flying bird!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

May I put in a word for Chris Foss Kits. Not quite what we've been talking about in that they're foam-winged sports models with sheet fuselages, but you have to build and cover them yourself. All of his i/c models are called Wot something: so the WOT 4 is a basic sports model, a plank and box in the view of its detractors, the Uno WOT is the primary trainer and the Acro WOT is an aerobatic job which looks like a racing aircraft.

They all fly superbly and were common on British flying fields until the ARTF turned up. Visit www.chrisfoss.co.uk to see the whole range. They're nice models which you can just throw into the back of the car and fly.

To supplement my low-paid day job I set up a business importing Telemaster kits into the UK about eighteen months ago. If anyone's interested since I started I've sold 22 kits, so I won't be giving up the day job However, exactly half have been builder's kits and half have been ARTFs. One chap even bought one of each!

Happy Landings
Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

P.S.

I see that even Chris is offering his designs as ARTFs. Sign of the times I suppose.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 PM
misterv

To you non- Aussies who are not familar with our actor Paul Hogan of "Crockadile Dundee") in the movie, when confronted with a NY scum wielding a knife, replied"THAT'S NOT A KNIFE- THIS IS A KNIFE " displaying a 18" Bowie.
This applies to this kit" THIS IS A KIT " dragged up from the 80's of superb Japanese woodwork. It really is art in kit manufacturing.

MK Kato. Silent st. of 69" wingspane for 120 FS.

I've been asked to build this for a fellow modeller but each time I open the well worn plan, just cannot bring myself around to upsetting the box full of goodies. No laser cutting but crafted with a router. all blocks shaped and laminated to the finish,balsa choice first class. hardware a little dated but again high quality,the design as good as anything aroun today. very similar layout to a Venus II or Adrenaline. heavier though.

Now I am not sure if it is legal, but if anyone wants a copy of this large(8 ft. long) let me know and I will arrange it. No extra charges cost of copy,postage and tube or envelope only. It is 82cm.wide.

I have more articles on this kit in the KITBUILDING and VINTAGE PATTERN forums.

Name:	Li20817.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1311280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34078.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1311281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40953.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1311282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34379.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1311283  
Old 11-09-2009, 11:56 PM
tailskid

MK made kits when kits were the 'in thing' and stood head and shoulders above the rest of the kit mfg IMHO.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:39 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

this thread has been great another kit makers please..
Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 AM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it's been 1 year since I've posted this subject. I am enthused how the modellers came through and continue to this day with their resources on this forum. Many of you have posted giving pro's and con's of whats going on with kit availiblity. It seems just looking from afar that the prices are holding and possibility of gaining in value on OEM kits.(either nos or new manufacture) During this previous year, have the "builders" kits increased in quanity from the manufactures that are still around? How may have the economy has affected or will affect the production of kits?

One thing that may have been breeched is in order to purchase and construct kits, one needs to "build". Other forums may have addressed the lack of "builders" (not assembling pre fabbed componets) types. Now mine you, as stated in my original post of "where has the kits gone" this is for general discussion. Not to throw "darts" at anyone. Personally, I'am an "old school" builder, kits, scratch building etc. And yes, my "day job" I work with my hands constantly and figuring out "things", so it comes around full circle I guess.

I also, as well have others have listed all the kits resources under my favorites, and it helps me keeping from "searching" constantly on the net.

Thanks everyone for contributing.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Just a little rider to all of the above.

Why is it that some modellers, like my late friend Frank, like to finish the model in the same colour scheme as the model pictured on the box lid, while others, like me will always finish them in any colour scheme other than the one on the box lid!

Happy Landings Gentlemen!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:07 PM
tailskid

Creativity or lack of....????
Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 AM
zipnsplat
My Feedback: (33)

Hey guys,

I've been searching for kits myself the past few weeks, and didn't realize that you could still order from Midwest! I don't know if everyone knows this or not, I sure didn't. I thought Midwest had long discontinued their kits. Even when you go to their website, it's not obvious where to go.... Here's the link that shows all their kits that are still available, and I must add, at great prices. I ordered the Extra 300XS last night. I hope it's not a mistake on their website and they really do have all these kits in stock.

http://shopmidwestproducts.com/-strs...Categories.bok

Wasn't sure if everyone knew this or not, but hadn't seen them mentioned, and wanted to throw it out there. I'll update this post if it turns out to be an error on their site!

Thanks,
Dan

Name:	Xu62779.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1313363  
Old 11-13-2009, 12:23 PM
cloudancer03

I saw a build thread on another website and forgot about Jack stafford models. apparently the aircoupe is very much available.good stuff.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:41 PM
wowplanes

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this thread and thought that I may have something to contribute.

But first allow me to introduce myself. I began this hobby about 5 years ago, mostly doing ARFs, but soon became bored with that. About 2 years ago I started looking into doing my own designs and scratch building them. I had neither the time nor the skill to build balsa models from plans, so I started exploring alternative ways. I know some may not like what I say next, but among the several mediums I researched, foam seemed to me to be a versatile medium that can be cut and shaped into anything you can imagine and is light. I started looking into it further.

My first few models looked like the proverbial "foamies". Many of my fellow modellers have a negative perception of foam, and justifiably so.

The problem with foam is that it does not look and finish well due to its rough texture, dings and dents too easily during handling and transport, gets dirty with use and is hard to wash or clean, does not stand up to fuel or solvent based paints, and is not strong enough compared a glassed balsa frame. That became the next leg in my journey. How to make foam not look or feel or behave like foam, be resistant to solvents, and be as strong as balsa/ply/glass construction?

The answer led to my models looking better and better, to the point where people would ask where they could get one, and when I said is was scratch built, if I could build one for them. That persuaded me to start kitting the designs, and that is the short story of my continuing evolution in this great hobby.

Please visit my website http://www.wowplanes.com

When you click on the picture of one of the models on my home page, it will take you to the product page for that model, that contains more detail.

On these pages there are links to flight videos so you can see how my models fly.

Also there is a link called "Manual" and that will take you to the full color construction manual and will show how each model is put together.

There is a link to a picture gallery where you can see photos of my models built by my customers.

Also there are pages on Liquid Sheeting and a Video Tutorial on how to apply it. This is the miracle covering that transforms foam.

I am doing a build thread of my Giant Scale B26 in this forum, you may be interested to follow that.

Please feel free to give me your input and feedback on the construction technique.
Regards
Fahim

Old 11-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

ORIGINAL: zipnsplat

Hey guys,

I've been searching for kits myself the past few weeks, and didn't realize that you could still order from Midwest! I don't know if everyone knows this or not, I sure didn't. I thought Midwest had long discontinued their kits. Even when you go to their website, it's not obvious where to go.... Here's the link that shows all their kits that are still available, and I must add, at great prices. I ordered the Extra 300XS last night. I hope it's not a mistake on their website and they really do have all these kits in stock.

http://shopmidwestproducts.com/-strs...Categories.bok

Wasn't sure if everyone knew this or not, but hadn't seen them mentioned, and wanted to throw it out there. I'll update this post if it turns out to be an error on their site!

Thanks,
Dan
Judging from the cheap prices on the site, surely its an old copy of their site?
Old 11-28-2009, 04:56 AM
AviationNut

The price for the Little Cap is correct at least, because I ordered one from them a week or so ago, and it was $68 with free shipping. A great deal and the kit looks really nice with good wood and good die-cutting.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 AM
zipnsplat
My Feedback: (33)

Constrictor, It's correct. I ordered the 300XS and got 5% off AND free shipping. Received the kit last Thursday!

Dan
Old 12-04-2009, 03:10 PM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

Just ordered the Midwest big Cap. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
ARUP

Hi- I've built one line flying pteranodon kites! The one on my RCU homepage has a 6' wingspan! I airbrushed the spurious colorscheme and used Sharpie markers for the details. There used to be a German company that made 'glass' pteranodons of quite a large diversity of 'species'.

Don't forget Spirit of Yesteryear. They have some nice kits!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 AM
cloudancer03

thanks deadeye .I love this site and have found lots of kits to build just hard to decide which one.love the D7L design site.might decide to build a cap230.231 or the good ole edge but a 80 incher.either way there are kits available and looks like a good firm..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.