Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How to handle a difficult pilot!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How to handle a difficult pilot!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Craven
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to handle a difficult pilot!

ORIGINAL: skipperwayne

Grow up Craven. You're showing your age.
I guess you got beat up too huh? You haven't even been on here a year. How old am I anyway?

What part of "he showed his card to you already don't you guys get"? He's not in their club and it's public property. They know he has a current AMA membership which meets the requirements. Some of you morons are so self centered controlling freaks.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, let's keep the personal jabs and insults out of the thread please.

Ken
Old 11-13-2009, 01:05 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no card on control board- no fly- that is the way it is done here in the county parks and enforced by the local officers. I have seen them remove a person in protest from the park as he was yelling "you are violating my rights as a taxpayer"-and the officer seemed to not care-it has not happen again and the guy complies with what is the established procedure of hanging your AMA card and removing your 2.4 pin or 72 and go fly. This is a county park with a club that serves as a park host of the field and anyone is allowed to fly provided they follow the established rules.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:04 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

no card on control board- no fly- that is the way it is done here in the county parks and enforced by the local officers. I have seen them remove a person in protest from the park as he was yelling ''you are violating my rights as a taxpayer''-and the officer seemed to not care-it has not happen again and the guy complies with what is the established procedure of hanging your AMA card and removing your 2.4 pin or 72 and go fly. This is a county park with a club that serves as a park host of the field and anyone is allowed to fly provided they follow the established rules.
Hey Jim,

Would you mind telling us what field the person was removed from and exactly for what reason? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:40 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the Blue corner...the woolly, left-leaning liberal types (probably smoke pot, have long hair and beads).

In the Red corner...the guys who think that membership of a model club is a bit like being a Senator of the US.

Seriously, this is a very entertaining thread. And, like all good threads, it polarises opinions. I can't help feeling that we have been presented with an incomplete puzzle, though; that some of the pertinent facts are missing. So, our comments may be based upon speculation and inference.

Involving the county "regardless of the outcome" is a risky strategy. As has been pointed out, it might be easier for the County to seek a ban on ALL flying, than to be drawn into internecine disputes.

It'll be interesting to hear how this conundrum is resolved. One party, or the other, is certain to lose a good deal of "face".
Old 11-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

In the Blue corner...the woolly, left-leaning liberal types (probably smoke pot, have long hair and beads).

In the Red corner...the guys who think that membership of a model club is a bit like being a Senator of the US.

So, our comments may be based upon speculation and inference.
Ya think!
Old 11-13-2009, 07:55 AM
My Feedback: (1)

quote:804

As the reasonable person I know you are, if you walked onto a flying field, and saw two frequency boards, one 72mhz, and the other 2.4, and you had been to a flying field at least once in your life, would you know what to do?

Srewinkel:

Well it is obvious by reading this thread that there are different rules pertaining to frequency boards at different sites. at this particular site I would read the sign stating AMA is required, I would make sure i was a member before flying. Now if some guy that I know has been flying there tells me I need to post my card on the board, I would simply do it. But if one day i forgot my card in another vehicle, and the same guy approached me asking to post my card, I would tell i don't have it with me. If this person continued to make an issue about posting a card, even though he knows I have one, then I probably would be a pain in the arse too.

There are apparent past issues going on here. Wether it be within ccdads knowledge or not. If the OP does not know of any, it might be very useful to him to learn of them, and help him deal with FMCG.
If this doesn't illustrate the need for a "field marshall" at some sites, for some people, I don't know what would.

Q: Can you tell me which way is up, and which way is down?
A: Well, it depends. If I, uh,...

Sheesh.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Alabama Racer

If he meets the requirement of having AMA membership, flies on 2.4 which causes no freq problems and flies
in a safe manner; leave him alone & let him enjoy his hobby.
Folks getting so worked up about rules, policies..... is what drives so many people away from airplane clubs.
This is what we do for FUN. If he is not flying safely, that is a different matter of course.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 AM
edh13

I would bet a dollar to a donut (because these days donuts are more than a dollar) that this field's history is your typical formula for aclub take over. Long ago this was probably a nice rogue field controlled by users where everyone had a lot of fun with a few common sense rules. Then a nearby club looses it's field or just decides the rogue field is nicer and approaches the county with a deal.
Now a few people are having a lot of fun exercising the clubs presumed authority over the previous rogues. (One deviation would be that the original rogue pilots on there own got into some pi$$ing match which caused one group of them to have a psychotic episode and decide to form a club.

Every Christmas an AMA license was traditionally one of my stocking stuffers from my wife. Except for last year I told her not to bother. She was shocked. I've discovered electrics and parks, and sold most of my gas stuff. I'm sure I'll get the itch to fly gas again but for now I'm just enjoying the silence. ...

and I'm not talking about the motor.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:10 AM
rcmiket

ORIGINAL: edh13

I would bet a dollar to a donut (because these days donuts are more than a dollar) that this field's history is your typical formula for a club take over. Long ago this was probably a nice rogue field controlled by users where everyone had a lot of fun with a few common sense rules. Then a nearby club looses it's field or just decides the rogue field is nicer and approaches the county with a deal.
Now a few people are having a lot of fun exercising the clubs presumed authority over the previous rogues. (One deviation would be that the original rogue pilots on there own got into some pi$$ing match which caused one group of them to have a psychotic episode and decide to form a club.

Every Christmas an AMA license was traditionally one of my stocking stuffers from my wife. Except for last year I told her not to bother. She was shocked. I've discovered electrics and parks, and sold most of my gas stuff. I'm sure I'll get the itch to fly gas again but for now I'm just enjoying the silence. ...

and I'm not talking about the motor.
I'm not sure that's what occurred in this case might be who knows. As far as the as renewing your AMA whats that got to do with this? The AMA serves a purpose and while I don't agree with some of the polices and some of the ways money is spent they are looking out for us with the FAA and so on. As far as the club well that a choice. I'm willing to bet that for every situation that was described here there's a 100 clubs that fulfill the intended purpose of promoting the hobby and providing a flying site. There's a lot of positive in belonging to a good club. Its a sad situation that theses guys are in but they need to look no further than the mirror to see why. If they lose the field due to bickering than they only have themselves to blame.
Mike
Old 11-13-2009, 12:32 PM
edh13

This is an AMA forum and just decided to add my current AMA situation. Don't belong to a club anymore and don't feel the need for the insurance. I do miss the mag. I think the AMA did some admirable work with the FCC. Now that freq reservation is increasingly becoming a nonissue the soon-to-be fight with the FAA over the blurring lines between UAV's and toy planes is going to be heating up. I hope the AMA is up to it but I don't think they are a strong enough lobby to sway the FAA much, if needed.

Like I said, the park scene may be just a phase and I'll probably see a gas plane I can't live without and re-up my AMA, then look for somewhere to fly where I don't have to join a club. That's not likely around here.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Srewinkel

If this doesn't illustrate the need for a "field marshall" at some sites, for some people, I don't know what would.

Q: Can you tell me which way is up, and which way is down?
A: Well, it depends. If I, uh,...

Sheesh.
I have never been to a field with a freq board, so the "multiple" purposes that SOMEfields use it for i am unaware of. I think i read an article stating that at a certain AMA sanctioned event the freq board will go away, and all flyers will be required to fly on 2.4, Maybe that would be the answer to these silly posting your card on a freq board problems.

Q:Can you tell me which way is up, and which way is down?
Q: well are you talking north, altitude, direction?? Up in relationship of the attitude of the plane, or up on the gimbles?
Q: what color is that?
A: bluish green.
Wrong it is turquise.
Clarify the situation and i will give you the answer your looking for.

There is a freq board what do you do.. Take a pin, post an AMA card, drivers license, write your name.
How about post a sign and state what is required... Oh wait this is done in this situation. "AMA membership required.."

It's like arguing with idiots.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:41 PM
rcmiket

"If this doesn't illustrate the need for a "field marshall" at some sites, for some people, I don't know what would. "

God what a scary thought a Field Marshall just were would it lead too.
Mike
Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM
psb667

Dont let craven get your hackles up remember that his site name litteraly means cowardly.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

''If this doesn't illustrate the need for a ''field marshall'' at some sites, for some people, I don't know what would. ''

God what a scary thought a Field Marshall just were would it lead too.
Mike
rcmiket, that was a bit of sarcasm to make a point.

But, after further review, and conversing with someone who doesn't know which way is up, and who is arguing about how to operate a flying field but has never even been to one that has a frequency board, and doesn't know what to do if he sees one, I'm now thinking a Field General is more appropriate.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
rcmiket

"rcmiket, that was a bit of sarcasm to make a point."

I guess I missed it.
Mike
Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 PM
STRAFEDOG

LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD.................
Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Srewinkel

Funny how people that think, or maybe want to know how the world should operate don't ever argue their point, just say "i'm right and your wrong.." I have been to a club operated flying field, and that field has no Freq board. people talk to each other and interact with one another to learn what freq they are using before there is an issue... But i guess a person, that has xx many years experience, go around and tell people how things are done. These stupid clubs are turning into HOAs.
So tell me most wise one.. witch way is up? (in your mind, cause that is all that matters..)

Q: which way is up...
A: that way..

i first entered this hobby about 5 years ago, considered joining the local club so I can make new friends, discuss different aspects, and so on... but reading some of these post, i'm glad i have a place to fly where i don't have the power tripping people, the i'm better than you people, and you don't know crap so why try people to listen too. there are a lot of good people in this hobby, both club members, and non members, but it seems we are in a transition where you can go buy a plane RTF for under 200 dollars. Crash them, and 30 dollars later your back in the air. You have people who have countless hours, and thousands of dollars invested in their equipment, and have a recentment towards the park fliers. instead of recentment talk to these people, and learn from them as well as they learn from you. but hey do as you wish, eventually the transition will be made.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:11 AM
KidEpoxy

"UP" is the direction hail falls (a few times)
Old 11-14-2009, 05:25 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cccdad

Very Interesting responses. The Club is a chartered club with AMA a land use agreement with the county requires that we maintain the charter to use the feild. Proof of AMA is a part of the land use agreement. The county has posted signs giving authority to the Club ''Safety Marshalls'' to enforce flying site rules. I am the only ''Safety Marshall'' but what is not spelled out is how to enforce the site rules. I have read several posts not to bother with the mere posting of a card. But what alternative is there to ensure Proof of AMA? Posting of AMA on a 2.4 frequecy board is just a convienent place to post. obviously not for frequency control. I have thought to take up the issue with the park, and may as a last resort. And as for taking the punch I have not backed down and should he throw a punch I will pursue criminal charges. My demeanor is not to feed into that violence and I maintain a calm tone and try to reason with him, which seems to aggitate him more.@ Sooperflye You sound like some ambulance chaser lawyer. Views like that are the reason why this countries tort system is costing us all an arm and a leg. Im sure you would argue that a cop running radar is harrassing the public over a civil infraction, as opposed to stopping lead foot drivers. As for getting rid of the board there are still pilots that currently use 72Mhz, But the core issue is pilots that may not have AMA insurance are using an AMA chartered club field. A simple inquiry in the past has always worked until this guy, who has stated he refuses to conform to the site rules.
Didn't you post that you personally renewed his membership this year? How many times do you want to see his card? I understand that you want him to pin his card up, and if it is a club rule, and your club has been given the responsibility to enforce the rules by the owners of the property, then call the appropriate authorities. If you continue to provoke this person then you might have a problem making an assualt charge stick. He could even bring this thread to court. You should read it from the outside looking in. It does kind of sound like you are watching him. I'm not an attorney, but I'm not a club member anywere any longer either. I fly at a private field, and we don't have any of these issues. You either are invited to fly or you are trespassing.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Mode One

cccdad has left the building! Typically, you guys are beating an already dead horse, to within an inch of it's even now dead, lifeless carcass!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:28 AM
rcmiket

He didn't get the answers he was looking for that's normal here. Now its just gives everyone something to do.
Mike
Old 11-14-2009, 09:46 AM
The Toolman

The Award from San Diego Plastics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92856.gif
Views:	27
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1313948  
Old 11-14-2009, 09:51 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, let's keep hte attacks out of the thread. Just because the OP hasn't posted in a bit is no reason to attack him, or to post silly stuff about the status of the this thread. I've removed several off topic posts, and will continue to remove any further off topic posts as well.

Ken

Old 11-14-2009, 05:59 PM
2PUPS

I tried to read almost all of the posts in this thread , but it was just like a revolving door same old circle of posts . What I did not see is , I would like to know , when an ama club , has the use of public property / park etc. that all tax payers pay for , what in return does said club give back to the community . Seems to me that a few people just want to take over something that should be open to all , if anyone should be governing the park it should be the local park department , not some private club , remember its a PUBLIC PARK for all , not just one set of people .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.