Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Idiot's Corner

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:44 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot's Corner

Hello All,

Just another installment from the guy who CA'd his hand to another part of his body. soldered near his open paint thinner, added smoker oil while looking in the tube.

Today's tough lesson: Airsoft and Gun Oil. So I'm cleaning my rifle which is a gun, and I'm looking at my TIGER A23 which has an Airsoft gun. Common Word-gun. So the little man in my mind thinks. Hey if oil is good for the rifle it must be good for my tank's gun.

So within a second my Tiger gets a nice squirt down the muzzle of Hoppes 1903-2003 lubricating oil. Now those little BBs should Fly!

Well they did indeed do better! For the first five shots that is. Then it was harder for them to come out. On shot 9 the bb came out and splattered against the wall. On shot 12 all BB shots were hang fires. So I had to take the gun apart and found that yep-you guessed it. The gun oil melted the BBs I had a molten mass of angry orangish yellow and white looking back at me.

So I got al that cleaned out. and dryed out. Then doing what you guys told me to do inthe first place I got some silicone spray. Now once again all is good. But I still think the Tank CO looks at me funny.

Don
Old 11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Flyn Chris

Default RE: Idiot's Corner

LOL Don, well okay then, note self, no gun oil in tank.
For what it's worth, my TC is always looking at me funny
Old 11-13-2009, 07:55 PM
TXtanker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its like watching an installment of my life....LOL
Old 11-13-2009, 08:05 PM
lingo

Note to self: Real gun and airsoft are not the same......
Old 11-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

At least you didn't put a more volatile liquid down the tube and try to fire it. A really light oil or cleaning fluid could cause a
diesel effect and detonate when a gun is fired. I realize the power level isn't the same but this was a problem for guys maintaining spring airguns. There have been documented cases of severe velocities ( and damage) from spring airguns that were lubed or cleaned with improper products or with proper materials but incompletely.(Although I looked this effect up just now and find there is actually a type of RWS made air gun that is made to capitalize of a degree of diesel effect) It(damage) nearly happened to me once after an incomplete cleaning of a Wischo CM air pistol; I got quite the bang and the .177 pellet shot with great force but inaccurately...

Jerry
Old 11-13-2009, 10:01 PM
dash69

Rule 12 Never place dog no matter how friendly near remote when looking down barrel of Panzer III to get trash out. Especialy when both tank and remote are on.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:55 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm a charter member of that club, and have the scars to prove it. Did you know that you can jam TU gears with your finger tip? I do now.
However, the all time prize, although not tank related per se, goes to a retired Marine bull colonel. He bought an inboard/outboard boat from a friend of mine. Come late fall, and it's time to winterize the tub. He'll do it hisself because he did not want to get ripped of by the local marina. Gets out The Book. Said Book instructs to drain the built in fuel tank as Task #1.
Hmmmm. Not gonna get fuel in HIS mouth from the siphon hose. Goes and gets, and this is no BS, his wife's canister vacumn cleaner, inserts the hose therefrom in the fuel filler, and turns it on. The vacumn cleaner is now listed as Object #10466 in low orbit around the planet. The hair on his face and head was removed to just behind the ears, and the insuing conflagration took the boat, trailer, truck to pull same, and the garage with it. They did manage to save the house. Central VA circa 1980.
The lesson from this? Never give a Marine a vacumn cleaner.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amateur! Why a few weeks ago the dremel slipped out of my hand at 6,000rpms slicing open my wrist which required 7 stitches!
Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 AM
sevoblast

Did you happen to capture that one on tape? Not only the incident, but your bride's reaction to same?
Lesson #2 Never give a dremel to a diver!
Old 11-14-2009, 02:27 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Great stories guys.... You couldn't make this stuff up!
But Sev, a vacuum cleaner??? LOLOLOL

Old 11-14-2009, 02:38 AM
sevoblast

Great story, and 100% true. I am sure the good Colonel is long gone now, but I'll try to find out before I name him. First name was Claire, mustang in the Corp, but IG office, not the warrior cadre.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:30 AM
swathdiver

Ohh, we're getting into non-tank stories? Well, here's another for the books!

This professional divemaster taught every budding spearfisherman that you NEVER FIRE A SPEARGUN OUT OF THE WATER!!!!.

One night after adding new line to the gun and prepping for the morning dive I wanted to make sure the crimps were good and strong. I figured if I fired into that hill out in the front yard, the barbs would catch in the roots of the grass and keep the spear from flying back towards me. Sounds logical right?

Ready, Aim, Fire!!! Spear leaves the rail, the shock cord stretches to the limit, goes slack and WHACCKKKK!!! What hit me? I look down and see the spear sticking out of my leg, imbedded in my thigh bone about even with my boys! I pulled the spear out and headed for the house. Wife asks why I'm so pale, ohh I just shot myself with the speargun is all. WHAT???? Got into the shower and saw this neat circular hole in my leg and promptly went into shock and collapsed! Needless to say I didn't go diving the next morning and those crimps never failed me either!

I got a seabag full if ya got the time! [:-]
Old 11-14-2009, 05:21 AM
sevoblast

Sigh, You was a Marine, wasn't you? I got a ruck full too.
Ya see, there was this brand new butter bar, Mr Lt X, and.....
Old 11-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Swath, either you have a high thigh bone or your boy's are hanging a little low ugh that sounds horrible, I am glad I am not the only one who, let's say is mechanically and mentally challenged at times. And who was it who said always and I mean always face the knife blade away from yourself when cutting, where do they come up with these silly ideas.

I heard a story on the news awhile back, where a group of friends (drinking) good start huh? well they were outside and witnessed a racoon going into an old pipe in the ground, well the one friend decides to pour gas down the hole and then go have a look see, when he got stuck in the pipe, he decided I can't see so he lit his lighter, and you guessed it, he was shot over the house, human cannon ball style. oh to have that on video

Cheers,
Wade
Old 11-14-2009, 07:48 PM
darkith

Note from teen-aged self:
Make sure when testing home-made black powder fuse (which is prone to sputtering and releasing glowing embers) that the lid is on the container of home-made black powder. The ensuring conflagration may just melt floor tiles. Fortunately a box fan in the window removed the fumes, and some artful smearing of the melted floor tiles restored things before the parents asked any awkward questions....

D.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Srewinkel

I have a funny one.  Although it did not happen to me, my father, witch i am not sure i should admit that.  He was reloading some 44-40 rounds when as he was seating a primer, it flipped and went in backwards.  We instead of spending the extra minute to just put the depriming die in and knock the primer out, he used a hammer and punch.  A few taps of the hammer on the punch, you guessed it, it went off in the palm of his hand.  He said it felt like someone smashed his hand with a sledge hammer.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:52 PM
swathdiver

Bob, I didn't get to serve as I was in an auto accident. I did spend my youth with the US Navy and Marine Corps, conning my way aboard most ships in the Atlantic Fleet when they visited Port Everglades!

Did I ever tell y'all about the time I brought a banana on the boat? [:-]
Old 11-14-2009, 09:09 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

ok, I'll share one. I've been an auto technician for about 18 years and I specialize with diagnostics. One day I had a honda civic come in with a problem with the headlights.This car was in the process of being fitted with ground effects and all sorts of ricer moifications..a real show winner. Anyway, I reached inside the car and turned the lights on, then went under the hood to check my power and ground circuits to the lights. just as I touched the pigtail, the alarm started blasting. being the professional that I am,i reached in my pocket and hit the keyfob pad to shut the alarm off. Well, the alarm didn't shut off, but the engine started and the car lurched forward knocking me on my posterior. Seems the brainiac owner installed a remote start in his stick car. (happens to be illegal for obvious reasons) Lesson learned...never stand in front of a car you don't know and hit the alarm buttons.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:37 PM
lthump

I rode a pushbike to work when I was 17, used to start early in the morning (Dark). Well rode the 4 klm to work and just at the entrance to the factory , FELL ASLEEP, rode over a 7ft embankment summersalted upside down and woke up laying on my back in long grass, still seated on the bike which is now wheels skyward. The worst was trying to explain to the other workers how I ended up covered in grass and dirt.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Craven
My Feedback: (8)

Is this the thread you find all the mods?
Old 11-15-2009, 12:48 AM
sevoblast

Just teasing you, of course, Swathy. I spent a couple days serving, and generally had a ball. There were times when Brand X was highly indignant and in the wire that I did question the wisdom of my choice of vocations, though.
While the Marines are a grand cluster of lads, of course we have a joke or three about them, as they have about us ground pounders. For instance. Take 3 Marines, stark nekid (I speak Southern when needed!), put them on a bare sand island in the middle of nowhere, and also put One Each, Packaged Individual, Anvil, on the same island. Come back three days later, and the anvil will be broken and one part will be lost.
Now, do tell about the banana...if it will not upset the delicate sensibilities of our fellow tankers.