Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CG Ultimate Biplane ARF 60.5"

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CG Ultimate Biplane ARF 60.5"

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:41 PM
hbat622
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CG Ultimate Biplane ARF 60.5

I have a YS 1.20 on mine and it does just fine. I had to add weight to the nose to get the proper CG so I'd think the the 1.50 Saito would do great. I'm thinking about going to gas on that plane just because it can handle the extra weight. I've been looking hard at the DLE 30.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 AM
aussieflyer2214

hbat622,

Thanks. How was your vertical w/ ys120? I'm not looking to 3D, just have fun with loops and hammerhead turns when going vertical. Yea, it looks like this fuse can handle some heavy weight of a gasser. Good luck w your 30cc if you get it. Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 AM
hamman
My Feedback: (61)

Hello all.
I bought 2 of these planes, one was a scratch and dent item missing the canopy. I sold off a bunch of my unbuilt arf's including the one new Ultimate. My question is does anyone have a canopy for sale or an idea what to try for a good substitute? I know I should have done this before I got rid of the complete plane but that seems the way it goes sometimes! Thanks for any help, Larry
Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM
hbat622

It won't 3D with the 1.20 but had enough power to go vertical. It will definately loop and Hammerhead. So, the Saito 1.50 you have should pull it great. Most people tell me that the YS 1.20 is about the same as the Saito 1.50 because of the pressurized system but I find that hard to believe. I still think that the Saito 1.50 has more power just from seeing a couple fly but I do love my YS's.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:29 AM
hbat622

ORIGINAL: hamman

Hello all.
I bought 2 of these planes, one was a scratch and dent item missing the canopy. I sold off a bunch of my unbuilt arf's including the one new Ultimate. My question is does anyone have a canopy for sale or an idea what to try for a good substitute? I know I should have done this before I got rid of the complete plane but that seems the way it goes sometimes! Thanks for any help, Larry

The first one that I had, had factory defects in the fuse and cracked in half on my six landing. Tower sent me a new Fuse and I think it also has a canopy, I haven't taken it completely out of the box yet (too many projects). If it does, I'll sell you the other one that is in perfect shape. They don't sell parts for the Goldbergs, so I feel your pain. It will be hard to get rid of an extra piece but I've been through your problem and it's frustrating. I'll let you know tonight when I get home if the new one has it.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 AM
hamman

Thanks so much!
I don't know why they don't sell parts for these but before they bought out G.B. the parts were high priced but at least you could get them...
I'm still flying a G.B. Extra 330 and love the plane... I have the G.P. ultimate 1.60 and if this plane flies half as good its a winner! Larry
Old 11-16-2009, 11:09 AM
hbat622

I also have the GP 1.60 Ultimate with a Brison 3.2 in it. It's a bit heavy at 17.5 lbs with the smoke and that motor but it does fly great. I switched out the fiberglass landing gear because the shear weight of the plane would spread the gear on almost every landing and come close to ruining $30 props. I put a set of hanger 9 Aluminum Gear from their Extra 260 27% and it worked great, same width but had to drill new hole of course. I also have the GB Ultimate blue hawk 54" ARF that they don't make anymore. I ran across it at Plano RC in Plano, TX and got it for $237.00. They kit version sells for $199.00, I couldn't believe that I found it, and not only that, they had two. This is my second one of these and they fly awesome, so I couldn't resist. I went Ultimate crazy for a while there.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:36 PM
hamman

All biplanes are addictive in my case. My GP is a little under 16 lbs with a DL 50 and no smoke... I used the GP Extra 330 gear, it looks the same as the Ulti but much stonger and bolts right on... I bought up way too many planes and got rid of most of them in the past 6 months... I decided to keep one of the G.B. 60.5's and hope to get it assembled before the first of the year... I'm trying to decide which engine to use... My choices are a Saito 1.80, Mvvs 35 or a Brillelli SSR 26 which is a 29cc to chose from. I'll probably use one of the gassers but the Saito sure sounds a bunch better and my Saito's have treated me well! Larry
Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 PM
hbat622

ORIGINAL: hamman

All biplanes are addictive in my case. My GP is a little under 16 lbs with a DL 50 and no smoke... I used the GP Extra 330 gear, it looks the same as the Ulti but much stonger and bolts right on... I bought up way too many planes and got rid of most of them in the past 6 months... I decided to keep one of the G.B. 60.5's and hope to get it assembled before the first of the year... I'm trying to decide which engine to use... My choices are a Saito 1.80, Mvvs 35 or a Brillelli SSR 26 which is a 29cc to chose from. I'll probably use one of the gassers but the Saito sure sounds a bunch better and my Saito's have treated me well! Larry

The new one did come with a canopy, if you pay shipping, you can have one.

Mike
Old 11-17-2009, 03:46 AM
hamman

Thanks Mike, I'll send you a PM... Larry
Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since parts are so hard to come by for this plane, I thought I would ask... If anyone is not using their wheel pants I would be willing to pay $30 shipped for a new set
Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
MiniBasher

I have a cg 20-300 bipe and i love it. it is a great performer with a 91 os surpass. i run a 14/8 evo prop. digital servos from hitech and it comes in around 8 pounds. it flys well and is really good at sport flying. not enough motor to 3d but its my main flyer. roll rates are crazy and it has tons of rudder and elevator throw. It is stable in wind and easy to fly. With the 91 surpass it can clime strait up but not quite unlimited but close. I would go with a 100 saito or a 125 saito for 3d at 1/4 throttle. nothin flys like a ultimate![8D]
Old 11-18-2009, 08:46 PM
6inarow
My Feedback: (2)

got mine all set up with a ryobi 31 cc, weighs in 12.6 lbs dry with sullivan smoker, still have not had the maiden, still double checking everything!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: 6inarow

got mine all set up with a ryobi 31 cc, weighs in 12.6 lbs dry with sullivan smoker, still have not had the maiden, still double checking everything!
Be sure to give us a flight report on that set up and some pictures of the engine install.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 PM
6inarow

Got 3 flights in today, good maiden, plane was stable and predictable, BUT i am dissapointed in the ryobi, at 12.6 lbs I really thought the power would be there, it flies great at 1/2 throttle but vertical is dismal and there is no power to get yourself out of trouble, landings were pretty good first one came down a little hard and bent the gear a little, subsequent landings were better. Overall looks like this is going to be a great plane but im afraid the ryobi is going to have to go, I have it swinging a 18x6 apc and its running right at 7k rpm, It sounds awesome but I think its just a converter, (converts gasoline to noise) more tweaking and testin to come but Im going to start engine shopping, anyone have any input on a good gasser?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Mr67Stang

I have the Evolution 35 GT in mine and it has great virtical performance. It does not blast out of a hover mind you. If you opted for the Evolution 40GX that actually weighs less than the 35GT you might be where you want to be. Or you couyld buy my 35 GT and I will spend your money on a 40 GX for myself
Old 11-19-2009, 08:29 PM
6inarow

Forgot to mention I have a serious resonance problem at wot, the ailerons vibrate violently about 1/8 deflection both ways at a very high rate, you can hear this resonance in flight even so wot passes and test were done very sparingly, I will not put it up again until I can figure out what to do about this problem, I dont beleive its a vibration as the rest of the plane feels smooth, I am just getting some wicked harmonics.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 PM
6inarow

Stang, what kind of coin are you looking to get out of you evo? I dont want a rocket but I need enough power to get out of trouble once in a while, and hovering, yours will hover? mine will hover if I hold the fuselage and point the engine to the sky [:'(] I may be interested in your proposition
Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Mr67Stang

Stang, what kind of coin are you looking to get out of you evo? I dont want a rocket but I need enough power to get out of trouble once in a while, and hovering, yours will hover? mine will hover if I hold the fuselage and point the engine to the sky [:'(] I may be interested in your proposition
I will shoot you a PM as to not clutter the thread with trade talk.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:11 AM
6inarow

Stang, sorry for the no reply, been a zoo around the shop, thanks for the offer but I reluctantly need to pass, too much for the budget, I need some expert advise, I think this plane is going to need at least 40cc I am no 3d pilot but I would like to have the capability, I dont think 26 or 28cc will be enough. But I am far from a gasser expert, I am thinking rcgf, aerovate or crcc. I have about 250.00 or so to spend..............So what do you all think? and shoot straight, I will save more money to get whats right if I need to. Thanks all! forgot to mention, as of now the plane weighs 12.6 lbs with the ryobi and a sullivan smoke system, i would like to stay at or under 14 lbs if I can.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:21 AM
6inarow

That weak ryobi (and a good dose of stupidity) cost me a wing on my last flight, coming in for a landing on my strip (which is bordered by a barbed wire fence [:'(]) got to keep the cows out! any way, I had a nice approach coming in and she got a bit slow, didnt stall yet but descent was too fast, I poured the coals to it and it made alot of noise but the power wasnt there to pull her out, I have been in the same boat with my glow planes but they are well powered and I can pull them out of a jam fast! I know I need to just get better at flying and I am doing my best to get better (just takes more stick time) any way, barbed wire cut the bottom wing in half very cleanly, did still manage to come down on the gear so no other damage, fortunately tower had an arf in the scratch and dent minus fuse, cowl and canopy for a fair price, so I guess I will have some extra parts, and a new wing, you can bet the broken one will be repaired by spring!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Mr67Stang

That weak ryobi (and a good dose of stupidity) cost me a wing on my last flight, coming in for a landing on my strip (which is bordered by a barbed wire fence [:'(]) got to keep the cows out! any way, I had a nice approach coming in and she got a bit slow, didnt stall yet but descent was too fast, I poured the coals to it and it made alot of noise but the power wasnt there to pull her out, I have been in the same boat with my glow planes but they are well powered and I can pull them out of a jam fast! I know I need to just get better at flying and I am doing my best to get better (just takes more stick time) any way, barbed wire cut the bottom wing in half very cleanly, did still manage to come down on the gear so no other damage, fortunately tower had an arf in the scratch and dent minus fuse, cowl and canopy for a fair price, so I guess I will have some extra parts, and a new wing, you can bet the broken one will be repaired by spring!
Do you want to sell the wheel pants out of that kit?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:26 PM
6inarow

If they are in there, they are yours!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 PM
gs.broten

All:
I've flown my CG Ultimate about a dozen times this summer so far (holidays, yard work and kids take up a lot of time!), and it flies nicely. But, there must be a mistake in the manual with respect to the plane's
center of gravity. Here is what the manual says:

" Measure 2-3/8" [60mm] back from the LE of the lower
wing and make a mark. This will be where your model will
need to balance. The forward C.G. limit is 1-7/8" [48mm] from
Settings: the lower wing’s LE. The aft C.G. limit is 2-7/8" [73mm] from
the lower wing’s LE."

This is, by the way, the exact same CG specs as the older, smaller Ultimate 90 Kit.

The CG spec for the 65" Ultimate ARF, as given in the manual must be wrong for I'm at the rear spec of 2-7/8" and it is still flies as if it is very nose heavy (fast, hot landing and lethargic on the elevator).

So can anyone else give me an idea of what their CG value is. It would be must appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg B.

PS
The Goldberg 90 is spec'd at ~ 2", the Great Planes 160 about 6", so I expect the Goldberg 65" should be somewhere between 4-5".
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 PM
gs.broten

All:
I need to correct the CG value for the Great Plane's Ultimate: it is 6 3/8 from the leading edge on the top wing. The Goldberg is spec'd on the bottom wing.

Greg B.

ORIGINAL: gs.broten

All:
I've flown my CG Ultimate about a dozen times this summer so far (holidays, yard work and kids take up a lot of time!), and it flies nicely. But, there must be a mistake in the manual with respect to the plane's
center of gravity. Here is what the manual says:

'' Measure 2-3/8'' [60mm] back from the LE of the lower
wing and make a mark. This will be where your model will
need to balance. The forward C.G. limit is 1-7/8'' [48mm] from
Settings: the lower wing’s LE. The aft C.G. limit is 2-7/8'' [73mm] from
the lower wing’s LE.''

This is, by the way, the exact same CG specs as the older, smaller Ultimate 90 Kit.

The CG spec for the 65'' Ultimate ARF, as given in the manual must be wrong for I'm at the rear spec of 2-7/8'' and it is still flies as if it is very nose heavy (fast, hot landing and lethargic on the elevator).

So can anyone else give me an idea of what their CG value is. It would be must appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg B.

PS
The Goldberg 90 is spec'd at ~ 2'', the Great Planes 160 about 6'', so I expect the Goldberg 65'' should be somewhere between 4-5''.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.