Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

33% Gee Bee Hostetler Build

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

33% Gee Bee Hostetler Build

Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
crazydz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33% Gee Bee Hostetler Build

I have been infactuated with the Gee BeeR2 Sportster for years. Isaw Delmar Benjaminfly this beautiful aircraft built bySteve Wolf and Delmar himself at the Visalia California Airshow.This was one of the last display's for the R2 before retirement to the Smithsonian Museum. The obsession has growninto a passion to build and fly myown R2, R/C of course.Wendel Hostetler Plans Service has multiple scale plkans and I chose the 33% scale as I saw this scaled aircraft at a IMAA show in New Jersey. This was the plane I'd been looking for for years. Thus stated the current project.
Iordered and received the plans from Hostetler Plan service. The two rolled plans came in a shipping tube and arrived in perfect condition. As always I like to print a second set as a backup, however the plans are 44" wide and most printing machines are only 36" wide. It required a fold slightly off center to print in two halfs. Taping the copied halves together is fine as this is only forbackup.
I ordered my wood from Kit Cutters. Micheal Cornell, put it togethere and I received my 33% Gee Bee R2 kit. Talking with Micheal along the way we became e-mail buddies and I have come to admire his enthusiasm regarding wood and cutting technics. Everythingcame neatly packed and the detail cutting looks great. Templates of the plans are accurately taped to each of the detailed cuts and everything is plainly marked. I will update this thread as I get more into the build but for now please note that Michael Cornell at Kit Cutters has delivered a great looking package.
I refered to the High Flightpublication and contacted Larry Alles from the Binghampton Aeros Club Chapter 98. We discussed fabric coverings and landing gear. Larry recommended Sierra Giant Scale and I went with these beautiful spring loaded shock assorbing landing assemblies. I have received the landing gear from Darrell Tenny at Sierra Giant Scale and the quality of fabrication is extremely professional. The gear came complete with the 7" tires andfully assembled as bolt in ready.
The build will start in a couple of weeks so stay tuned. For now I'm setting up the work table area and wood layout areas. I've attached a couple of photos and more to follow. If anyone has questions or input please e-mail me at [email protected].
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15004.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1215085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38434.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1215086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15004.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1215087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38434.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1215088  
Old 07-12-2009, 10:29 PM
DENTO

Default RE: 33% Gee Bee Hostetler Build

Mate
There is a very long list of builders who have been ripped off by this guy ,Cant get ballance of my kit payed for 7 months ago keeps comeing up with all kinds of excuces ,RIPPED ME FOR$450 US. SOME KIND OF BUDDY
Old 07-13-2009, 10:18 AM
crazydz

I will be setting up to start this project in the next few days. Time will tell if the kit is complete or not. I too have researched Cornell Michaels history and discussed these issues with him. He's very honorable and I can only hope for the best. Not to many folks are in the business to kit our big projects so we get what we have. I'll keep everyone informed as to my progress and any deficentcies will be noted as well as praises. Stay tuned!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 AM
jkpape

FYI, it didn't go to the Smithsonian Museum. Kermit Weeks bought it, and it's in his musem down in Florida. Not sure if it's just on display or if he's flying it. He also has a GEE BEE Z replica.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 AM
jkpape

FYI, it didn't go to the Smithsonian Museum. Kermit Weeks bought it, and it's in his museum down in Florida. Not sure if it's just on display or if he's flying it. He also has a GEE BEE Z replica.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:18 AM
crazydz

Thank You for the correction. You are correct and I checked Weeks web site. He stated he was planning to fly it himself along side Delmar in his Gee Bee Z. Sounds like a great photo opt. Thanks again for the correction.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love GeeBees. I would like to build #11- flown by the great Jimmy Dolittle! Would have to make a different cowl.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 PM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

Thanks Randy for starting this thread. I just ordered a set of plans and now I am looking for info on the WH 33 % Gee Bee R2. I can’t find any building pictures of this model on the Web. Have you picked a supplier for the fiberglass parts yet? What engine are you going to use? I am thinking of getting the parts laser cut from Precision Kit Cutters for $390.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM
slevin1
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to watch this build closely.

Saul
Old 07-25-2009, 11:10 AM
crazydz

I'm just finishing up my restoration of a Sterling SRE Waco and have not started the GEE BEE yet. I selected the Sierra Landing Gear which I've attached a few photos. They are beautiful and come complete with the 7" tires. You can contact Darrell at this e-mail address: [email protected] . Larry Alles on the east coast (I think New Jersey?) also built a 33% GEE BEE. He and his airplane were pictured in the High Flight Magazine a few months ago. I am planning on using Fiberglass Specialties for the Fiberglass Cowl and Pants. I've order from them a few times and have had no problems. My plan is also to cover the Gee Bee in Polyfiber and Butyrate Dope from Randolph. I have completed the SRE with this method and it looks great. I also purchased Delmar Benjamin's Book published by Motorbooks International mostly because the great color photos. I selected the Randolph Aeronca 7AC Orange for the color as it matched the the book photos the best.
As for selecting a kitter my experience is all of the top kitting folks have pro's and cons. I used Kittcutters Cornell Michaels ([email protected]). It took some time (5 months) to finally arrive, but the kit and packaging looks great. I'll be laying out the stock soon and will follow up with this thread on the overall quality. Please note that most of the suppliers of large scale special products like Kits, Fiberglass and Gear are really only one or two man companies doing the best they can to help us out. There are many out there that just build it all themselves and I tip my hat to them. They are the real builders.
I will add to the thread as often as possible during the build. I recommend contacting anyone you can that has built this beautiful plane and learn all you can from them.

Name:	Qo40980.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1243270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33702.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1243271  
Old 07-28-2009, 08:35 AM
3dsky

Randy,

I just received my plan set today and now starting the task of collecting all the parts. Are there any pictures of the uncovered airframe? Any construction sequences showing the wing spar area in the fuselage?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:53 AM
crazydz

Not yet. I'm still a couple of weeks away from actually starting the project. Let me know how the kit looks and whom you ordered it from? As stated before I'm using the following materials: Sierra Gear, Fiberglass Specialties and Aircraft Spruce Supply for the Randolph dope and covering materials.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:07 PM
3dsky

Randy, I know you are just starting; I was looking for pictures from other builders. I can’t seem to find anything out on the net about this plane. Since the plan is from 1999, I am surprised that more info is available. That is why I am glad you have started this build.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 PM
crazydz

Try Larry Alles. ([email protected]) IMAA Member member #5637 from Chalfone, Pennsyvania. I've attached the shots he sent me of his finished work. He may also have some construction shots as well.

Name:	Ay73265.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1245257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82022.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1245258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65585.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1245259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99310.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1245260  
Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM
hanko

I had Mr Cornell cut a 33% Nelitz T-Craft kit for me. I eventually got the kit complete, but it took four months.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:08 PM
3dsky

Randy, we now get to compare boxes. After studying the WH 33% Gee Bee plans and making a inventory of the wood I would need to buy to cut the parts the total cost of uncut wood was higher than I would expect. So I had used Precision Cut Kits before and I placed an order with Larry at PCK. The WH 33% was in stock and 8 days later I got a 20 lb box of Laser Cut parts. After looking over the cut & wood quality I am very pleased. Everything is labeled and the small parts are also bagged. The part of the build that made me go with the laser cut parts was the use of 1/64 th ply doublers on a lot of the balsa formers that have stringer slots.

Name:	Pm34813.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1254926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65476.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	1254927  
Old 11-22-2009, 10:44 PM
jvino

Any news on this build?? I am going to order either the 25% or 33% R2 this week from PCK. Have been looking for a nice build thread but haven't had much luck. Any ideas??
Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 AM
3dsky

I have not started building yet, just trying to clean up some unfinished projects first. I am looking into the engine choices for the 33% R2. I want to have a good idea what engine I am using before I start the fuselage. So far it is a DA 170 with a target weight of less than 40 lbs. I also have not had any luck finding build info on the 33% R2 but I am taking my time looking things over. I wish I could get a picture of the fuselage and rudder framed up.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 PM
jvino

The DA-170 does seem to be the power plant of choice. Were there any build instructions of any type with the kit or just the plans?? Waiting to hear back from Larry on the price of the 33% and will take it from there.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
3dsky

There are no written instructions with the kit or plans. After looking over the cut parts and comparing the pieces to the plans everything becomes clearer. What is taking me so long to start is looking over just where things are going to be located in the fuselage. I will be starting the fuselage and rudder first. I am using the Composite ARF Gee Bee (down loaded from web site) manual to get ideas and to get a better idea of the scale rudder detail. The Rudder hinge area looks to be the hardest part to figure out.

My PCK was about $410 shipped and since I have unpacked it to check parts to plan everything looks good except I can’t get the parts back into the box. The parts are labeled and really help in understanding the plan. The plan has some text instructions.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:33 PM
jvino

Not the same kit but found this:

Page 1/5:

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...+r2&PN=0&TPN=1
Old 11-23-2009, 04:00 PM
3dsky

Thanks for the link. I have the Page Gee Bee in the 1/5 scale, not built yet. Both the Page 1/4 and 1/5 are different from the WH but Page's Gee Bee are the lightest and I am looking at the WH plans and cut parts to see if I can do any weight savings to the fuselage box.

On page 56 of IMAA Winter Issue 2009 are some nice Gee Bees that were at this years Summer Rally in Pennsylvania and Larry Alles (pictures above) has his WH 33% Gee Bee R2. Larry was nice enough to answer my E-mail. Some info I can pass on, His is DA 150 powered at 38 lbs and he warned me not to over build it. He indicated that the plane was very strong and he indicated if he built another one that he would try to lighten it up. Larry also said that he did not have any pictures of his project uncovered.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:26 PM
jvino

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If anyone is interested, I have and can produce graphicxs for the Gee Bee's. I've sent out many sets of the Delmar Benjamin Gee Bee R2 Sportster.

www.cfcgraphics.com

Although not completed yet, I framed up and built the 33% Gee Bee Z, designed by Don Neill. I hope to finish this model next year. Don offered drawings of the spring loaded gear, which resembles the gear of the actual aircraft. We made our own back then. :-( This was in the late 80's and early 90's.

Good luck with your R2!

Charles

Old 08-27-2010, 07:42 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This thread has been dead for a few months, just checking if someone has any updates on the 33% build. I am looking to buy plans this December

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.