Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

candy paint?

Old 11-19-2009, 01:24 AM
andybenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default candy paint?

ok so ive got a can of testors transparant high gloss candy apple red paint and im wanting to do my nas truck body in it, i know no one has a truck in that color, but im kinda doing one like if i was the driver.

so i know you paint lexanon the inside, but how do i use that candy. would i spray it first, propably, 2-3 medium coats, and then back it with silver, i know with full size cars silver is the base for candy apple red. so i guess the same principle applies here?

also i heard that ez off overn cleaner will strip the paint off of a lexan body. ive got a vintage bolink pan car that really needs some attention to the body, if i would respray the inside it would bring it back to life.

can any one vouch for this?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 AM
dirtyghost

Default RE: candy paint?

yes your right with the order of aplication, candy first then silver.
I would suggest doing a test on an old cut of bit of lexan to see if the ez off strips or not it will also allow you to gauge the amount of candy you will want to use to get the finish required.
Allways do a test first if your not sure, remember you only get 1 shot at it and getting it wrong inst an option, test first admire it later.
let me know how it goes.

Marti

Old 11-19-2009, 05:55 PM
andybenton

well today i played around with some different backing colors.

i found out that when backed with white the candy pops more than it does with silver.
when a black backing was applied a wine color that somewhat switches from black to wine in the sunlight is acheaved
with crome paint as the backing the candy looks metalic and extremely bright and extremely reflective.

so as a test i painted the out side of my nitro 4tech body and it came out wine colored, i really like he look. tomorow if its sunny enough ill snap a few picks.; mind you the body isnt in great shape but im not looking for how good the body looks im testing for colors
Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 PM
dirtyghost

Wicked im glad your tests have gone real well and you have found a good match for your candy, i think i spend almost as much time testing as i do painting but that's just me its nice to be able to work out things no one else is doing and using.
Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 PM
andybenton

definatly. as of right now im concentrationg on the actual car. its an old trinity tspec that ive brought back to life. its kinda cool that i can go to my local race way and all the guys are amazed at this old preformer. for twd its great.

at any rate. ive got a 47 ford body also. its red and its decked with my novak decal sheet. so ill get that pic up here tomorrow too. been really wet out here the last day or so.

that would also be the primary reson ive haulted painting lol
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM
dirtyghost

hows the painting coming on...?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:02 PM
andybenton

well, the paint job was pretty good, didnt get any picturese before i destroyed it, but ive got a spair body ill spray just to show you guys what it turned out  like
Old 11-25-2009, 05:48 AM
dirtyghost

sorry to here you destroyed it, may be fun to see some destruction shots tho ..!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 PM
andybenton

well i threw the body out the window of my car heading home from the track in a fit of rage, but heres some pics of my 47 ford body, i just finished it yesterday and i put on my novak decals, and drove it for a while, i flipped it and put a nasty white mark on the roof, so i didnt get a good pic of that part haha.

but it turned out really well and im working on putting red led underglow on it. kinda as my shelf queen body.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87261.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1320548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57284.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1320549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53383.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1320550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17959.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1320551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41896.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1320552  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM
launchpad51

Hello;
Using a candy paint is hard to apply.I have been informed by a couple of guys that there should be a base coat,(silver metallic) after that your looking at 5-6 coats of the candy.It might not show the silver metallic until you clear coat it.The more depth you have the better the results.I am getting ready to paint one of my hulls,and the base is silver metallic,then the racing green candy paint.Will also apply 5-6 coats and then clear coat with a two part clear.There is a company on line called;TCP global. Check there sight and you can get more info along with directions on how to use the candy colors.Once I get mine done I shall post it. All the best
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Anthoop

Nice three year old thread bump...but anyway...
In general RC car bodies are made from clear lexan and are painted on the inside, this will mean applying the candy first and no laquer will be required.
I take it you are painting a boat? In this case, yes you would paint it on the outside meaning you would apply the silver groundcoat first.
Also worth mentioning that the amount of candy you apply will affect the tone and effect of the colour, I recommend you try a few test panels....start with 3 coats of candy..anymore than 6 is usually pointless. Oh also vital to apply each coat of candy evenly...spray with the correct pressure for your gun set-up and thin the paint to achieve the correct viscosity.
Good luck and be sure to put some pictures up.