Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

reactor ep by great planes

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

reactor ep by great planes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 PM
bigdog5332

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reactor ep by great planes

ok so i have found a reactor e performance series plane that looks preity nice and i was wondering how it flies
the reason i ask is because i want a 3d plane and i am wondering if it would be ok for an average flyer
thanks
b dog
Old 02-07-2009, 05:32 PM
derek2005

Default RE: reactor ep by great planes

B Dog,

I have also been contemplating this plane, but the reviews are basically, it flies great until the wings fold. Few if any complaints about its flight characteristics. Its construction seems to be more questionable. I think if you take extra steps to insure the wings are done right, especially the doubler then it might be OK. I am hoping so at least as I think I will be purchasing this. Some poeple have had no issues and some have had the wings fold in level flight. There have also been some issues reported with the stabs. Again, if you just make sure things are built right on yours, you should be OK. Most weaknesses are fixable. RC groups has an informative thread about the reactor.

Good luck.

Derek
Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 PM
bigdog5332

ok well i picked one up at an auction and it looks like a nice plane, so i am hoping to fly it in a few weeks so i will post an update but the only thing i did to it was that i put a tail wheel on it.
thanks
b dog
Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 AM
hellblastervolly

Let me know if you have a question or problem. I have one and had ano problem yet.

Fernando
Old 02-23-2009, 07:21 PM
jaime.mi

big dog! a buddy won the plane in one of our club events. lets just say that i stole it! i have huge issues with electrifly, i have learned to hate them. so i can start giving you a report. I opened the kit and it looks gorgeous. I am psyched. I just finished the first 2 steps. You begin by taking the wrinkles from the covering.
I was a little pissed off, since all the control surfaces come taped with strips of masking tape. When you take of the masking tape it leaves a smudge that does not come out with regular alcohol. I now have to assault my covering with stronger chemicals.
Getting the covering straight was not a breeze either there are multiple of colors on a white background. I had a descent amount of wrinkles. Even though i used a sock on my iron, the colors bled in to the white on a few spots. Again assault the covering with various chemicals. You then insert all your aileron horns into an adjustable horn. You have to bore out the hole on the adjustable horn to fit the clevis. Once you get it through dont try to remove it it will stress out the clevis! idiots
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 PM
bigdog5332

OK
i actually got it at an aucton and it was already built. but i was wondering if i need to setengthen the wings and also is the 35-30 enough powere or should i steap it up living at 5300ft
Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 AM
jaime.mi

you never know with wings. we are talking about those morons @ electrilfly though. i plan to use an e-flite park 480
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM
derek2005

I just can't decide whether to get this or not. I know the final assembly steps are a bit lame and awkward, but once together and properly reinforced, it seems to be a great flyer. Who has this plane and what comments do you have on its construction and performance? Why would I get this over an eflight 280 or a 3D Hobby shop extra? I am really interested in the soon to be released mountain models firestorm. That is one cool looking electric sport plane and the retracts look awesome. I can pick up a reactor for about $75 though.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:15 AM
bradya_johnson

I think I would pass on the reactor and other Great Planes Electrifly products until they get their act together. I was following some threads about the following Electrifly balsa ARF planes: yak 54, new Matt Champman and the new Edge 540. All of these planes seem to be VERY flimsy. Either the wings fold, the motor mount is very weak, or the fuse needs reinforcing. Why would you want to buy an ARF that you have to reinforce everywhere? Why isnt it done correctly to begin with? Maybe ARF means "Almost Ready to Fold" for Electrifly The EFlite planes are much better than Electrifly, I've had several and they're very good quality. My next adventure will be with Precision Aerobatics, they really seem to know what they're doing. The entire plane is reinforced with carbon fiber and very light. Really top quality stuff. Sure the Electrifly reactor costs $75, but you'll get what you pay for. I'd rather spend a little more up front and be sure that the wings wont fold in flight due to inept building techniques.

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth

Brady
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 PM
derek2005

I agree, I am thinking either the 3d hobbyshop extra or I would really like to build the new Firestorm by Mountain Models. I love the look, speed, and retracts on that one. Currently I am just flying my mini titan. I miss having a decent plane though. My stryker is nice for relaxing flight, but it just isn't capable of much other than go fast and loops, rolls. No rudder. I do believe I will pass on the reactor though. Too many issues.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 AM
hellblastervolly

Derek.

I'll say go with the one you like and what you can afford. Not all planes are perfect and some need more work than other, yes greatplanes are not the top of the line and have many imperfections but they still fly great. I have my reactor for more than 2 years and still in one pice and fly great, did make a few small adjustments before the first fly and a few as I go. But that you always will do with any other plane just do some research and educate yourself on the plane you choose. If you have the money go for a PA or some of the E-flite but if you change your mind on the Reactor just ask me and I'll help you with the build.

Fernando
Old 03-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Spiccoli

I have heard great things about the way the Reactor flies. I've heard that the 35-30 is plenty of power. There are two negatives about this plane, and I believe they've corrected them on newer planes. First, you have to build the motor box. Second, the wing attachment procedure can be very difficult with regard to getting alignment correct. They make jigs that are supposed to make it easier, but since you are doing this with epoxy you dang sure better get it right.

I was not impressed with building the Extra 330, but it flew OK. Their new Edge 540 has bolt in wings, a big improvement. I'm not sure if you still have to build a motor box on it or not.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM
bigdog5332

well i do not know if it wzs a newer or older version and i do not know how it was built because i got it at the jefco aeromodlers auction
i was wondering how this plane would be as a nitro plane and what size motor and tank i could use if I did do it

thanks bigdog
Old 03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
derek2005

I decided to go with the mountain models Etana. I received the kit last week and the plane is almost ready for covering. It has been a great kit to build. I haven't been able to put more than an hour or two in per night, and this thing just falls together. I highly recommend this kit and if the other kits from MM are like this, I will be buying more. I am having a blast building this.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:47 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

hey guys, bought a new great planes reactor ep. stories tell me the elevator is weak not the hoz, stab. is a little flimsey and don't want to fly it and have it break in flight. any way of strengthing the elavator ? the plane is together just needs radio programming and off to the field. i thought about putting some clear tape ,the packing type tape,very neatly on the bottom of the eleavtor to add stiffness to it. any other suggestions................thanks................. ...RON
Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 AM
geeter

flew the reactor today. good flying plane alittle touchy on the rates they have in the book. you need about half of that on low rate. on high rate go wild if you can handle it. get rid of the landing gear if you fly off grass. it will catch the grass on touch down and tear the gear off easy. ask me how i know. tape the bottom and belly land it on grass for a nice landing. im running a kms 2814-08- 950 kv motor and a apc 10-5 prop. castle 36 amp esc and a 2200, 11.1 volt 20 c lipo from value hobbies. check them out for li-po batterys there cheap ,and so is shipping. no tail problems with it yet. sharp looking plane. also i didn't use the nose ring with magnets. just put red tape around the cowl to hold it on. better hold and if you need to get to the motor for some reason,just trim around the tape with your exacto blade and pull it off. the covering has a plastic coat on it. i don't care for. it comes off easy. i'm running a dx6-i with hitec hs 65 servos on everything. all the servo arms they give about twenty, not one fits hitec splines. what a waste. they must be for futaba and other servos. also once set up put a drop of ca- on the carbon rods, on the air, rudder and ele links, don't just rely on those little screws to keep it from slipping through. if it does your screwed in the air.......................enjoy................RON
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
hellblastervolly

Hi geeter.

I hope you enjoy your Reactor because I know I do love mine. I haven't had any problem with any of the control surfaces. You do get servo arms for the hitecs they are just a little tight to fit. Yes it's very touchy because the big control surfaces. You can make it smoother by giving mor expo with the high rates. Any question feel free to ask me.

Fernando
Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 AM
geeter

no fernando, just the few things i found, i didn't like. but as far as the plane goes it's fine. i didn't know about the servo arms for hi -tec. i didn't want to force them, but thanks for telling me. i hand launch and land on grass. it takes right off out of your hand,with a gentle toss. running a apc 10x5 prop works good. had an 11x4.5 from another plane ,but doesn't have the rpm and speed with that prop. i can fly so slow right in front of me [ when it's calm] i can get low enough with nose alittle high holding a touch of up elev, that i can almost touch the rear skid fin on the ground. i don't because if it touches to hard, it could force the front down and break the prop. i'm talking 2" off the grass at 1/2 throttle. looks cool. for 94.00 for the plane, it's well worth it. i take it with me when i take my other gas planes to the field. charge it while i fly my sukohi, or giant super sportster,with smoke. 50cc powered. good luck with yours......................RON
Old 09-21-2009, 11:06 AM
DougV

Guys,

Is the Futaba 3114's servos good for this model, or do I need to go with the 3115's.

Thanks in advance,
Doug.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:19 AM
hellblastervolly

Ron.
No problem I know what you mean. I use to have some other servos on the ailerons but I strip one wile doing a blender so I change them for hitec that can hold more torque. I do take off from the ground or hand launch that up to how high is the grass and land it normal for the low grass and for the tall I bring it in a harrier and slow down to almoust a stall and when the tail is close to the grown I pull full up elevator and cut off the motor and just drop. Not always is perfect sometimes I still nose it but with no harm to it. I use a 12x6 or 11x3.8 APC on mine, love them both.

You have a sukohi also, cool I have one also. Have fun with your reactor.

Doug.

I dont have Futaba but lots of peoples that have this plane have bad luck with the futaba servos, a few don't have a problem. My 2 cents, go with the higher torque posible on any brand that you may go for.

Fernando
Old 11-22-2009, 06:49 PM
bigdog5332

ok well i got allot of the kinks worked out of this plane and on my 5th flight..i had just got comfortable flying it and i was doing an inverted fly by about 30ft up and...then the wings folded up...the fuse is a little beat up,the wings are trashed and the motor mount broke in half
so what should i do
fix it or buy something else and use the motor and servos and esc out of it

thanks
bigdig
Old 11-26-2009, 05:59 AM
hellblastervolly

Sorry for your plane, how bad are the broken parts? Can they be fix? Moust of the time you can fix parts that look imposible to fix. That's depend of you, if you are like me that don't have enogh money to get a new one, try to fix it. If you have the money and want to get a new one or a diferent model go ahead. If it was me I'll have try to fix it first, if it didn't work then will buy a new one. If you get a new one I'll be happy to help you build it stronger so it last longer. If not, there is so many nice plane that use the same setup. Good luck with it.

Fernando
Old 11-27-2009, 07:31 PM
bigdog5332

Well all of the edges around the wing cuttouts on the fuse are trashed.. And both wings are trashed...I might just keep the esc and more so if I need it for anything I have it and I might build like a 3dhs 47" edge next spring

Thanks bigdog
Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 PM
bigdog5332

i might decide to build another reactor
i am trying to decide if i want to go with another 41.5 or if i want to go with the 58 inch version
if i were to do another 41.5 what should i do to reinforce it
thanks
bigdog
Old 11-30-2009, 04:13 AM
hellblastervolly

The bigger one will be sweet, I was thinking of getting the 50cc but change my mind. Im going with the reactor Bipe 61, If your going for the same go here ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75..._1/key_/tm.htm ) and read what a few others and me did with our. If you have any other question feel free to ask me.

Fernando