Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Maybe it's a sign that I'm just getting old...

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Maybe it's a sign that I'm just getting old...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 AM
rc doc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maybe it's a sign that I'm just getting old...

Correction that was an RC Cola and A Moon Pie.
Too many memories to relate here about radios and models. From Phantom P30 to brushless engines. Talking to Duke Fox and buying a Fox15Rc from his factory; still have it. Folded the wing on my Playboy last fall and need a new stabilizer for my Ember after last night. I'll quit before I cry on my keyboard.
Rc Doc
Old 12-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Doc.316

This is a good thread...it reminds me of the song line..." What a drag it is getting old...." 1962 song...
Bangsite cannons and slot cars?...Radio Shack when you could actually buy components there, test your tubes there, and get a free battery..

Steve
Old 12-06-2009, 06:52 AM
H5487

ORIGINAL: Doc.316
Radio Shack when you could actually buy components there, test your tubes there, and get a free battery..
Steve
Steve,

My wife and I were talking about this just the other day. We were discussing the future of Radio Shack because we had heard rumors that it may not survive the recession.

Back in the 1960s, Radio Shack was THE place to go for those parts that every 12 year old mad scientist needed. There were aisles and aisles of mouth-watering electronic components, tools, and books. And if you had a question about a component, chances were good that you could get an answer (and a short education at that) from one of the electronic-savvy employees; themselves, previous 12 year old mad scientists. I spent a lot of my lawnmowing earnings there and I credit Radio Shack for getting me interested in a 40 year career in electronics.

Unfortunately, during the 1970s, Radio Shack discovered that there was more profit in selling stereos and clock radios than there was in selling transistors and soldering irons. And then in the 1980s it jumped into computers with both feet, and the 1990s saw it turn into a toy store of Chinese R/C cars and ball-point pens with built-in digital clocks. Radio Shack became a pager and cell phone supercenter in the 2000s. Meanwhile, our beloved aisles of electronic components were moved (exiled?) to a single cabinet over in the back corner of the store. What's next, RS? Refrigerators and tires?

Every business must evolve with the community if it wants to keep selling to that community but I feel that Radio Shack has almost completely turned its back on its roots (the electronics tinkerers) so that it can chase after the fad-of-the-month. Radio Shack lost interest in electronics a long time ago. Even the idiot running the cash register these days would be hard pressed to tell you what a transistor does but I'll bet that he can recite the Extended Warranty sales pitch for your new computerized pencil sharpener in his sleep. While that sole parts cabinet in the back corner of the store is still more convenient than placing an order with Digi-Key or Mouser, it would hardly break my heart if the Radio Shack Corporation closed its doors. Besides, I can get tires anywhere.

Sorry for the rant.

Harvey

PS
Somewhere in an old wallet in a drawer somewhere, I've still got a Battery Of The Month card.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:45 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh, don't get me started about Radio Shack[:'(] Anyone try to find a vaccum tube tester in the last decade? And, the battery of the Month Club keep me in a lot of 9v's for my guitar pedals. I still play guitar though an old tube powered amp and miss everything from back in the 60's/70's. Nothing was better than tagging along with my Dad to the flying field when I was a kid and a cold Yoo Hoo on the way home. Yup, at 49 I guess I'm just getting old, but if you ask my wife, I was always old, even as a kid! Ha Ha!! At least I have a little one of my own to teach all about the exciting field of Aeromodeling[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65414.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1327842  
Old 12-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Doc.316

Sure propbuster...(in my basement actually along with the slot cars and bangsite cannons)...and heck ya come over to visit and I will throw in a free battery....
It is good to hear that someone else thinks radio shack went downhill....It is interesting to note that there is one radio shack (at least) in this country that still has parts. It it run by a ham and has parts, radio equipment, used radio equipment etc...it is in Derby Ks if you are ever there.....

Steve
Old 12-06-2009, 05:25 PM
H5487

Back when Radio Shack sold transistors and other components, there were two other (that I'm aware of anyway) large national electronics distributors: Allied and Lafayette. Unfortunately, like Digi-Key and Mouser, Allied and Lafayette were mail-order-only firms and didn't have a walk-in store within bicycle distance of my house. Nonetheless, they both put out killer catalogs guaranteed to make any 12 year old mad scientist stay awake past his bedtime with a flashlight under the covers!

Harvey
Old 12-07-2009, 12:46 AM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do I remember band class in JHS?????? I'm now a band director!
Man, does this thread bring back memories. I'm not going to list more because...THEY'RE ALREADY HERE!!!
mightyhorn
Old 12-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Watching Merco powered Super 60s, all the colours of the rainbow take to the air guided by those new Futaba four channel proportinal radios which you couldn't afford even though you were earning £1600 a year 'cos they cost £150 each!

Going on stage at the local Music Hall as the support act to some singer called Van Morrison. I wonder what happened to him.

Ford Anglias with raked back rear windows, (good idea never got rained on!), Norton motorcycles with a free professional motorcycle mechanic's courses with everyone sold, putting your suit on to go out on a Saturday night, getting drunk at the rugby club.

First love.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Mr_Ed

You guys need to quit this !!!!!!!!!

My wife just came in and asked why my eyes were tearing up.

Told her it was my allergies acting up again.

Actually, I remember almost all this stuff.

Have a good day.

Mr_Ed
Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 PM
H5487

THE Mister Ed??? Dude I used to watch your TV show when I was a kid! Boy do you bring back memories!!!

Sorry, Ed. I couldn't help it.

Harvey
Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Bass1

Dang, I knew Mr. Ed could talk but I didn't know he could type too!!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Doc.316

Hey Mr. Ed,
Want to come over and test some tubes....the house isn't radio shack but Ill throw in a free battery...(lol)...looks like you are probably the closest to come over and shoot cannons, run trains and slot cars, and listen to some 45's in the jukebox.......heck if you come over in the summer we can watch a 16 or 8 mm movie outside on the side of the workshop..(Ill even let you run the projector and thread the film)..... Or if the wind is down we could just go flying....

Steve
Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Oooh Oooh Oooh,,,, Can I run the projector????? I was in the AV squad in school, Really!! (me and a couple of other Cool Geeks[8D])
Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Doc.316

Sure propbuster...I have a few of them (about 15)...they are the wifes hobby...but I have to buy/clean/fix/maintain/run them so it is a bit of a chore for me....come on over...I've been wanting to find some vintage aeromodeling/race car footage but that type of stuff is scarce. I do have those magnificent men in there flying machines....that is a good film to show on a nice evening and it is in "cinemascope" so I can project it really big!...

This thread is kinda funny as you look up through it one memory of someones kicks in a memory about something else...then it go's on and on....

Steve