Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Giant Scale P-51 High Speed Ground Impact Crash Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Giant Scale P-51 High Speed Ground Impact Crash Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM
At_Your_Six

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale P-51 High Speed Ground Impact Crash Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fdaFfkn_Ho

Just like full size aviation plane crashes happen to us in scale model aviation. knowledge is gained from each crash and used to make model aviation safer. This video shows what can happen when after years of safe and trouble free flight, structural fatigue if not caught in time will bring down scale models just like our full size counterparts. We show this video not for shock value but as a tool to increase safety and knowledge in the model aviation community. I know Tim is a very safe pilot and keeps his models in top mechanical condition so if this can happen to him, it can happen to us who fly these beautiful scale models.

Six
Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Giant Scale P-51 High Speed Ground Impact Crash Video

Sorry for the loss...

Now, after looking at the impact 10 times in slow motion - my conclusion is, not the tail give out. The tail broke at the second bounce when the airplane spun around. When the airplane hit the ground the elevator stabs touched and pieces flu off. If the tail would have being damaged then you would see it.

This accident was caused by other reason but a broken tail. I would take a close look at the radio/receiver/servo side.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Does anybody know why the Plane Art "videos" look like a series of stills at least on my Mac?
Walt
Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a shame on the P51, hope Tim fixes it because I want to fly with him again.

That's the old Byron P51, it always breaks at that foam former joint, pretty sure it broke in air and caused the model to pitch down. Tim is a pretty smooth flyer.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: fw190

What a shame on the P51, hope Tim fixes it because I want to fly with him again.

That's the old Byron P51, it always breaks at that foam former joint, pretty sure it broke in air and caused the model to pitch down. Tim is a pretty smooth flyer.

Odd... I've had 4 Byron 51s over the years, never had that problem.

-M51
Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
robotc96

what are you going to do with the crashed plane now

Old 12-07-2009, 04:00 PM
At_Your_Six

Hi Guys,

We did not show the part of the video were you can see the tail section moving as Tim makes a turn one pass before the back of the fuse brakes. The post crash inspection and video of the complete flight points to the weak fiberglass section at the drosel fin connection point. It was very windy at the time of the flight and the tail section only moved under high loads. You can see when Tim picks up the mustang the tail does not move but you know its broke. I believe Tim will fix her and bring her back from the dead.

Six
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Mustang51

What motor was used?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
G-Pete

BTW, if the tail broke in the air (which is not the case) - the rip is on the bottom, the airplane would pitch up not down

AND, if the tail would be separated an good length the the elevator would be over 5 degree... the airplane would go straight down.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM
At_Your_Six

The engine was a G62.

Six
Old 12-08-2009, 12:39 PM
goneflyin2002

Hi Guys,
I think the most possible cause is elevator flutter. The plane was approaching at full throttle, out of a semi dive, the airspeed was at maximum. Elevator flutter will cause a down pitch like you just saw, and cause the crash. Notice also that the plane almost seemed to recover just before impact, this could be that the pilot pulled up elevator, maybe enough to stop the flutter, but too late.

Don
Old 12-08-2009, 02:46 PM
crashproof

Was the Black box recovered.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 AM
At_Your_Six

Sorry no black box on board.

Six
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM
MEMPHISBELLE
My Feedback: (24)

I just think it was caused by a pilot who does not know how to fly a warbid. TO FAST. Why I ask does everyone fly warbirds at mach speeds. I have been flying warbird for 10 plus years and have been to many warbird events. I always get comments on how realastic my planes fly, thats because I build heavy, do not over power and use props that are bigger than recommended. All that equals no high speed stalls, tail flutter, and a scale flying warbird.

MEMPHISBELLE
Old 12-09-2009, 12:06 PM
fw190

Tim is quite a good pilot... and I know he can build for speed as he use to participate in giant scale warbird racing... Some things just go wrong, its part of the hobby... have you had something go wrong? I am sure I have a few throughout the years in the hobby... Tim maybe 25+ years in the hobby...

Interesting, I had a 190d9 that I flew for 10 years, got over 300+ flights on it, a buddy of mine is flying it now with another 30+ flights on it and I have had a few warbirds that lasted less than 1 minute on its maiden flight... []

ORIGINAL: MEMPHISBELLE

I just think it was caused by a pilot who does not know how to fly a warbid. TO FAST. Why I ask does everyone fly warbirds at mach speeds. I have been flying warbird for 10 plus years and have been to many warbird events. I always get comments on how realastic my planes fly, thats because I build heavy, do not over power and use props that are bigger than recommended. All that equals no high speed stalls, tail flutter, and a scale flying warbird.

MEMPHISBELLE
Old 12-09-2009, 12:39 PM
smithcreek

You can see at 46 seconds he pulls up after diving, the tail flexes down which would cause the plane to dive, which it does. Looks like the original post-crash analysis is correct. Of course these threads would be a lot less interesting without the armchair know-it-alls declaring what "really" caused the crash.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
ccostant
My Feedback: (38)

Looked at this video at least a dozen times. I would tend to agree with the crash analysis although it's pretty hard to tell with the resolution of that video. It's important to note that where the fiberglass cracked looks to be exactly where the front of tail wheel cutout would be on the bottom of the fuselage. Since it was a right angle cut I would suspect that's where it let go. Based on the pitch downward at that speed, it wouldn't take a whole lot of movement in the horizontal stab.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:10 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

You can see at 46 seconds he pulls up after diving, the tail flexes down which would cause the plane to dive, which it does. Looks like the original post-crash analysis is correct. Of course these threads would be a lot less interesting without the armchair know-it-alls declaring what ''really'' caused the crash.
You are right on all counts.

Bruce
Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 PM
G-Pete

Alright guys - now I destroy the illusion the tail broke in the air and pitched the airplane down.

Watch the video seconds 52 to 54 - IF the tail would be broken the airplane would NOT fly again. 52 to 54 shows clearly the airplane flies, loses airspeed and touch the ground again.
This can only happen with an intact tail. The port and starboard tailfeathers were a little stripped but the glide is pretty straight - albeit a high angle of attack on considered airspeed.

At this speed the elevator control surface needs to move only 1/8 of an inch to get that down force movement. As I stated before I would look close at the radio/receiver/servo site.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:45 PM
KentuckyColonel

I was there, I saw it, and whatever happened just sucks.....
Old 12-09-2009, 03:51 PM
KentuckyColonel

ORIGINAL: Walt Thyng

Does anybody know why the Plane Art ''videos'' look like a series of stills at least on my Mac?
Walt
Video is in HD. Might be that you can view it better if you let it download all the way, then view it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:10 PM
At_Your_Six

Hello all,

I have seen the complete video and I have overlaid one frame over another, believe me, the fues section at the tail was weak and under load flex just enough to cause the Mustang to pitch down. The fact that the tail was moving at the end of the crash slide and then when Tim and Brian pick up the Mustang you don't see the tail move again tells you the fiberglass is just weak NOT broken off. It was windy at the time of the crash and the Mustang was being hit with cross winds. The point of this video is don't think your giant scale models are perfect, they do age and can fail just like the full size aircraft do. I have had many emails in the past few days saying "Thanks" for showing this crash, it has made them think about this issue and some have inspected thier models just to be safe.

Thanks for watching and commenting here, all points of view are welcome

Six
Old 12-10-2009, 02:22 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks to me like the area in question is where the fuselage sections are joined during construction On the Byron. I have built one. Could be this joint failed after so many flights on her. Fiberglass. [] Actually, I prefer glassed wood construction on my giants. I think they hold up better over the long haul.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: Walt Thyng

Does anybody know why the Plane Art ''videos'' look like a series of stills at least on my Mac?
Walt
How much RAM do you have? You may need more to watch HD videos.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:38 PM
fw190

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Looks to me like the area in question is where the fuselage sections are joined during construction On the Byron. I have built one. Could be this joint failed after so many flights on her. Fiberglass. [] Actually, I prefer glassed wood construction on my giants. I think they hold up better over the long haul.

Wood is great for making a nice looking fuselage plug!