Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

controller batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Swingline76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default controller batteries

my question is do they make a rechargable battery pack for the redcat remotes. i see a charging port on the controller so i assume they do. any info would be great
Old 12-13-2009, 02:33 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: controller batteries

just get rechargeable AA batteries
Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Mickstix

Yea, I put rechargeable AA nicd's in mine as well.. But be forewarned, nicd's arent quite as long as alkalines and you may have problems with them not making positive connection. (least thats what I think is the prob with mine) I haveto mess with the batteries constantly, toget both the red and green lights to turn on, on the Tx.. Older transmitters used to have a single layer batter holder. (8 "AA" laid side by side) but these new ones, obviously, take 4 rows of 2laid "end to end", and that's where the probs happen, imo.. I guess they did this to save money since they only have to use 4 sets of battery "hardware" to make the trays, instead of 8?? But I'd rather just pay the extra dollar or whatever they saved, to have it the old way.. (Plus you could get nicd's in flat 8 "AA" packs as well.) Im going to see about getting some thin battery bars and solder 4 sets of the nicd AA's together, and see if it works better.. As it is now I have aluminum foil "squares" crammed between the batts,and it's worked so far, but that's probably asking for a short circuit..
Old 12-14-2009, 12:28 AM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you sure they arent nihms?....yeah I noticed a good energizer lasts longer then my rechargeable nihms, even my 2500 mah....I dont run stock radios anymore so I dont have the bad connection issue (never had it when I did run stock)...I'm still skeptic on some of these less expensive 2.4 ghz radios that are comming out...I still suggest getting a good fm radio....I'll be checking out the new radios though....

my alkalines last so long in my spektrum dx3s its crazy..and it only takes 4....so I just run alkalines in it (actually havent had to replace them yet, almost went through 2 gallons of fuel)
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Mickstix

Yea, mine are the 700mAh nicd's like these:

I cut up a battery bar and soldered small bits onto the bottom of4 of them last night, and now the radio works like a charm!! I measured them, they're about 1mm shorter than an energizer AAalkaline.. I got 16 of them in a trade, when I got my Futaba 3PJ radio (10 years ago) so I just use them still, but your right, for as little juice as the transmitter uses, it's prolly more economical to just use regular alkalines in them.. It's the recievers, pushing the servos, that use all the juice.. I bought some rechargeable alkaline (1.5v) for the rx. that are about junk.. They worked great for about 10-12 recharges, but now they go dead pretty quickly.. I have a couple hump pack 6v nimh packs coming that'll hopefully solve my rx. battery woes, so I should be set here shortly!