Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

rate nitro redcat vortex?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 PM
lxpeery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rate nitro redcat vortex?

im considering buying a redcat nitro vortex ss. can anyone give me the pros and cons of this truck? it seems good, but i want something that i can plow through mud and stuff with, and something with a high top speed. cant find much about this truck anywhere. help please!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: rate nitro redcat vortex?

What is your budget? I would suggest a Losi, Associated, Traxxas, or HPI as a first vehicle. If you want a quality nitro car, expect to spend $300 up front to get up and running. I wouldn't buy a Redcat personally, they are cheap in quality and performance compared to other big name cars. not to mention, parts support is by far better than the Redcat/Exceed/Himoto cars.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:47 PM
rclynx

ORIGINAL: lxpeery

im considering buying a redcat nitro vortex ss. can anyone give me the pros and cons of this truck? it seems good, but i want something that i can plow through mud and stuff with, and something with a high top speed. cant find much about this truck anywhere. help please!

Go to the Redcat forum at the bottom of the page ................. there a helpful bunch
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_427/tt.htm]REDCAT SUPPORT[/link]
Old 12-13-2009, 11:18 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

What is your budget? I would suggest a Losi, Associated, Traxxas, or HPI as a first vehicle. If you want a quality nitro car, expect to spend $300 up front to get up and running. I wouldn't buy a Redcat personally, they are cheap in quality and performance compared to other big name cars. not to mention, parts support is by far better than the Redcat/Exceed/Himoto cars.
+1
Old 12-13-2009, 01:25 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

Trust me, I've been in the same position as you. For my first rc, I got an Exceed buggy. Exceed has the same cars as redcat, just different brand name. I read that you should get a big name brand, but I just went with the Exceed because it was cheaper. I had nothing but problems since I got it. Parts would break from normal use, and because of me being new to the hobby i didn't know how to fix it usually. I ended up selling it after a few months, but then I wanted to get back in to the hobby. This time, I went the right route and bough an HPI Firestorm (2wd stadium truck). It's tough and it's good to be able to learn on something that's not always in the shop.

I'm not saying that Exceed and Redcat are crappy, I'm just saying that they aren't good for a new driver because they do break more than other rides and new drivers don't know how to fix them.

Go down to you LHS (local hobby shop) and look around. See what they have and ask them what they suggest. Be careful though, they are running a business so they're gonna try to make a sale. It is very good to get a car that they have parts for so you won't have to wait for them to be shipped when they break (yes, things will break)
Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
lxpeery

ok, so apparently i need to make a better choice, any suggestions? looking for a good nitro truck, preferably trophy truck style, 4WD, and for relatively cheap.  i like quality, but my budget isnt exactly as high as i would like it to be.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Chris_RC

I would look at the HPI Firestorm, Traxxas Nitro Rustler or Nitro Sport, or the Traxxas Slayer if you want to spend the money on a scale truck.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

I don't know much about the trophy truck rc's (called short-course) but I know there aren't too many around. And from the looks of them, they won't be too good for bashing. Mostly track trucks i think. I'm not saying it won't work and I'm not trying to get you not to buy one with that style, but I don't think they're the most versatile ride. Check out the Traxxas Slayer if you do want a short course
Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
SZcars

ORIGINAL: lxpeery

I completely disagree that Redcat is cheap vehicle that won't last. You can't beat the price for a first time vehicle. I've included two videos ... The first is showing the Vortex SS in action and the second is a video of a Redcat Aftershock that takes a major hit a comes away without a scratch.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmXbqEgkV2M&feature=related]Redcat Vortex SS video[/link] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmXbqEgkV2M&feature=related [/youtube]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WABjGjk61pI&feature=related]Aftershock 8E video[/link] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WABjGjk61pI&feature=related [/youtube]

After you check out the videos decide for yourself.

You can get the Redcat Vortex SS [link=http://www.rcnitrocarz.com/nitro_powered_rc/Nitro_RCTruck_RedcatVORTEX_SS-BB.html]here[/link]
Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Chris_RC

That really isn't that hard of a hit. It was very poor construction of the jump and the front bumper/chassis and body absorbed the hit. Since it was straight on there really wasn't anyting to break besides the bumper.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

I actually partial retract my last statement. I guess i made them out to be pretty bad cars. It's not that they are so much worse than other cars, because things are going to break no matter what. I guess it's just that on mine, it was a two speed and a screw that controls the shifting fell out and I lost a dogbone, both from regular driving and jumping. They are somewhat more fragile than others, but it's not all that bad. I did get pretty frustrated with it, so if you are patient with it would probably be fine. Also, mine was nitro so that accounts for a lot more moving parts
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost went redcat for my 1st RC but ended up with a used HPI Nitro MT1

Reason I changed my mind was I was researching the car by reading the boards here on my own. I was reading about issues with certain models (don't remember which) and how people were saying to use HPI parts in certain places right out of the box cause the redcat ones will break in under 3 months from light to normal use and might damage other things down the line when they fail.

But in the end its upto you I'm sure the redcat could be a excellent vehicle after some work. But for fuss free driving I'd stick to the bigger brands which models are generally closely based on 10-15 year old tried and tested designs. Other issue with redcat is you have to order almost everything online. Most LHS's won't carry redcat parts. My recommendation is goto your LHS and see what they stock parts for (unless you don't mind waiting a week for parts), and use that as a basis for a choice.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
rider313

lol did you see the review video on the home page here for there SC truck. IT busted just klipping the pipe.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM
jbreeze

So i just got my Vortex SS 2 days ago.. I ran it yesterday for the first time on fresh new pavement after breaking in the engine and  in simple description, this car is that is stupid fast I simply love it even though its hard to handle at times.. I broke my front bumper against a car tire going at about 45mph.. Today i took it out a for a spin in the woods the 4x4 is great and the engine is powerful but after an hour an half my front left  dog bone fell out. Now the modding has begun =) ordering new aluminum dog bone and bumper if they have them..

Question about the vortex ss controller steering? Is their a way to make your rc turn left moving the wheel nob back and steer the car right when you move the wheel nob forward?? Hope you understand what i mean thanks 
Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM
jbreeze

So i just got my Vortex SS 2 days ago.. I ran it yesterday for the first time on fresh new pavement after breaking in the engine and  in simple description, this car is that is stupid fast I simply love it even though its hard to handle at times.. I broke my front bumper against a car tire going at about 45mph.. Today i took it out a for a spin in the woods the 4x4 is great and the engine is powerful but after an hour an half my front left  dog bone fell out. Now the modding has begun =) ordering new aluminum dog bone and bumper if they have them..

Question about the vortex ss controller steering? Is their a way to make your rc turn left moving the wheel nob back and steer the car right when you move the wheel nob forward?? Hope you understand what i mean thanks 
Old 08-01-2012, 11:55 AM
sourherndirtdogs66

i had a redcat as my second cari still have itmatter fact but i modfied it.It was relativly cheap..... so i bought it i bent the dog bones one for eachday i had it. It went from4x4 to 3 wheel drive then2 wheel. it was fast two speed tramition itwas a tornado ss nitro if i can remeber correctly..shengines work alright i guess mine oveheated not to bash redcat but mine had problems but boy it was fastaround80mph but unstable all and allthere not bad but break easily.......hope ur having a ball with it thowi know i did with mine loud and proud lol.....
Old 05-05-2013, 07:54 AM
blitz120715

I own a redcat vortex ss. I have found it to very tuff. for example i hit a jump at full speed and the truck rolled about ten times really hard hits everytime. nothing broke on the truck. it is alos very user friendly starts easy very easy break in. it is also very torky in first gear and very fast in second gear. my friend owns a traxxis t-max 3.3 and in a drag race i kept right up with him. the glow plugs from redcat are also great i have used the one that came with the truck foe 18 tanks of fuel and it is still going strong. I highly recommend this truck for short course inthusist. handles very good over big and small jumps as well as landing of jumps. buy one and have fun. The only thing I suggest is getting hardend dog bones. like any other model brand there are parts that will break but have had no issues so far. alot cheaper to buy truck and parts than many other brands.