Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Bad day...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 AM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad day...

Ahh I dont think he checked the bung hole seal

he did check the tank for sure.. at one point it was leaking but he fixed that and even now installed a new tank a 6 oz so we're hoping to test this out tomorrow or on sunday.
I've got new hose lines now so I'm gonna change the whole lot of it to see what happens. I'll definitely try what you said till it quits thanks.

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

Still sounds like a tank problem to me. I get twelve to twenty minutes out of my Avistars depending onhow hard I'm flying, so 6-8 min would be about half a tank or less of fuel. This would be the point where the fuel level gets below the bung hole and fuel tubes in the tank. Try holding the plane vertical in your hands and have your friend run the engine till it quits. I bet you will start seeing bubbles in the line between the tank and the needle valve right before the engine quits. If so it is likely a hole inside the tank in the pickup line, or in the bung hole seal itself.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:44 PM
paul33507

I have to add my 2 cents here. I LOVE MYAVISTAR!
I would recommend this plane to anybody. It's forgiving enough as a trainer to teach anyone. I soloed the first time i took it off (un-intentional) was testing ground handling at taxi speed when a sudden gust took it airborne about 20 ft. I managed to circle it around and land with out the buddy box (thank goodness for Real Flight). 2 months later i moved all the control point for maximum throws and was doing snap rolls, split S's and inverted passed all day long. The "Old Timers"(no offense intended, some of the best friends I have ever made) keep asking when i am going to get an acrobatic plane, that was 2 years ago and have no interest yet. I won 2nd place in an aerobatic competition at a fun-fly with this plane. It has never disappointing me nor have I gotten bored with it yet. I have just re-located and added a second aileron servos to the middle of the wing to experiment with my new 9CAP Tx.

Still being a newbie I don't see how anyone could go wrong with this plane. It can be as docile or as challenging as you wish. If you ever do get bored with it, pass it along to someone else.[img]file:///Y:/Public/Pic-0019.jpg[/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36090.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1219504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80996.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1219505  
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 PM
nubzorz

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

This should be moved to the beginners forum.

A great example of what we've been trying to tell those that want to be self taught.

Great post!!

CGr.
that statement makes absoloutly no sense i taught myself on a sim and i was fine my first time out and havnt crashed since. how did the guys learn back in the 70's and 80's? most of then taught themselfs and i would bet you also taught yourself
Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 AM
outdoorhunting

Crash- repair. Crash repair !!! On & on & on.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are those who seem to think if you don't have an instructor and the latest buddy box equipment you will fail, we just have to live with them. In thier defense, it is the minority who actually make it on there own, and I was not one. (No offense intended CGR.)

Honestly, those here who preach the "Get an instructor to buddy box you" Mantra are just trying to help the 80%-90% of the kids coming to this hobby today who will not stick it out through the crashes a self taught person will get. (I want it now and no is not the answer types)

Can it be done without an instructor, of course, once upon a time that was the only way. Should it be done without an instructor? In this day and age with all the tools available to prevent crash and hardship I must think no it should not be done alone, if at all possible. Besides, 3/4 of this hobby is the fellowship of other RC pilots. (for me anyhow, a fact I never would have believed only a year ago..)

I am happy that you are in the minority of those who made it on there own, but please understand that this is definitely NOT the normal course of events for one attempting to be self taught.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Rock81

Bump
I have this same problem with my Avistar, brand new tank that came with the kit and I was only getting not quite half a tank out of it. I check everything more times then I should have, then broke down and ordered a new tank. Then ran it on the ground full throttle with a timer and it ran for 21 minutes plus some change.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

Yep... another one who didn't listen. But some want to learn it the way the Ol'timers learned it before they were instuctors, RCU and AMA Club Sites. They crashed often and spent enough time and money. Like myself, I didn't want to learn this Hobby the hard way, so I listened and had way less heart ache and money spent as a result. But to some, still we don't know anything? So what else is there to do? I know, sit back and watch the Carnage!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM
outdoorhunting

The advertizing the manufacturers do, don't help. " RTF- video included, be in the air in a few hours,etc!!!! In this "instant gratification" age the younger set ( some older, also, just can't wait to "get in the air". I guess the thing that upsets me most is the fact that these "can't wait till tomorrow guys", screw up & then blame the manufacturers for putting out " crappy equipment", and start "badmouthing them. If these people would just realize that; "THESE THINGS ARE NOT TOYS". When something gos over 50 MPH & has a "razor blade" spinning around 10,000 RPM on frront, it AIN'T a toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:08 PM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

Wow this thread is still going? HEY Will - 3D how is that guy doing with his avistar? what did he do with the other two birds which he crashed?

As for me? I've got 48 flights so far on my avistar and have began flying it really hard!

Thanks for all the help with the pointers on getting my dead sticks sorted out!
we finally replaced the LA 40 with an os .35FX i think it was and I flew with that most of the time! Had great fun with it got comfy with the plane
and recently dropped a thunder tiger pro .46 in there (the thing is ripping my monokote off
BUT BOY CAN SHE HALL @$$ FRIGGIN WOW!

I'm stringing all kinds of maneuvers together now.. still have not figured out or tried flat spins though but in the mean time putting on quite a show with this plane!
I've realized it wont knife edge properly probably because of the extra weight the rebuild put on. but thats ok I may change the rudder making it bigger that might help.

I love this thing!

and reading the other posts. Yes its entire possible to learn on your own I learned to fly on my own with my foamies got a sim much later and this avistar is my first and only nitro model... would I advise anyone else to go that route? NO!

The point? if you have a choice in the matter wether to get an instructor or not.. GET ONE! if you don't have a choice, then fine. try to learn with a sim
FMS is FREE! it will help with orientation at least if nothing else! and i agree with the other member who said part of the hobby is the club! its always more fun flying with friends than alone.
EVEN building with friends is great! 4 of us put together a tower hobbies tower trainer in 12 hours 5 pm till 5 am the next morning and flew it at round 5pm that same day! great fun!!!!!

don't forsake the collective! haha
Old 10-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Serafintirado

We all Have our bad day. Here is mine.
After rebuilding Cularis 101 inch wing span from last crash two weeks ago I did it again. In the pass two weeks I fiberglass the whole nose of plane from front of wing to motor mount. It paid off.

It was getting too dark and had a need to fly. (That dam old EGO again.) I was so depress to fly that I used a 10x6 prop to fly. ( The Prop was the only thing that broken on the last crash and did not have a replacement. Stole it from my Easy Glider Pro.)

On landing I ran out of real estate and slamed into curb, Head on. The Fiberglass took it and ask for more. I few years ago a did a crash just like this and the plane was trashed.(It was a Slingler, Zagi like plane.) Once again, you get front row seat on this crash. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7xGAnRCmA0

This one from two weeks ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmtlZZ8SuQA
Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 PM
deothoric

ORIGINAL: paul33507

I have to add my 2 cents here. I LOVE MY AVISTAR!
I would recommend this plane to anybody. It's forgiving enough as a trainer to teach anyone. I soloed the first time i took it off (un-intentional) was testing ground handling at taxi speed when a sudden gust took it airborne about 20 ft. I managed to circle it around and land with out the buddy box (thank goodness for Real Flight). 2 months later i moved all the control point for maximum throws and was doing snap rolls, split S's and inverted passed all day long. The ''Old Timers''(no offense intended, some of the best friends I have ever made) keep asking when i am going to get an acrobatic plane, that was 2 years ago and have no interest yet. I won 2nd place in an aerobatic competition at a fun-fly with this plane. It has never disappointing me nor have I gotten bored with it yet. I have just re-located and added a second aileron servos to the middle of the wing to experiment with my new 9CAP Tx.

Still being a newbie I don't see how anyone could go wrong with this plane. It can be as docile or as challenging as you wish. If you ever do get bored with it, pass it along to someone else.[img][/img]
Amen to all this. I have an Avistar with my old gear in it plus buddy box. It's my third. The other two were bought by the guys that learned on them. I use it to train newbies all the time. I've flown several other peoples trainers over the years while teaching and the Avistar flies in more linear fashion than any. This one I converted to electric:-

HXT 42-60 600Kv motor $40
Turnigy Plush 60 amp ESC $35
4S1P Zippy 4400mAh 15C packs $34 each.

The performance is about the same as with an OS 40 FSR up front and a lot cleaner and cheaper over two seasons . With 3 packs of cells to rotate you can fly none stop all day just the same as nitro..
Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 PM
tonyg11780

I see this over and over again...someone has an unfortunate mishap, for whatever reason...and the wanna be "experts" start chiming in stating that their way of learning is best...and if they unlucky pilot would have done it their way they would have avoided such a misfortune.

When will everyone just learn to help instead of criticize? Some people, like myself, havent had the luxury of an instructor and had to do the best they can. Yes, the gentlemen may have made a mistake moving on to the aerobatic aircraft..but hasnt he learned his lesson already without all of the so called "experts" crying "I told you so"? Its the people like that that make this hobby less enjoyable. If you think you know everything, wouldnt you ask the gentlemen what he did wrong, or what went wrong and offer some advice as to how to prevent something like this from happening again?

I taught myself how to fly, and had a few mishaps of my own. Had I had people standing there criticizing me I would have lost all interest in the hobby. We all hear of aspiring pilots leaving the hobby after a mishap...I myself tend to think that it wasnt the accident or crash that frustrated them enough to make them want to leave...It was more than likely all of the grumpy old self proclaimed experts whining "If you would have just listened to me"!

"If you dont have anything nice to say, Keep your mouth shut and fingers idle"

TonyG
Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 PM
edmoor
My Feedback: (1)

DITTO!!!