Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The best R/C Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: The best R/C Magazine

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie
This is par for the course when it comes to ball differentials. Even as a veteran, ThunderbirdJunkie has toasted three diffs THIS YEAR in his AD2 due to misadjustment...which is exactly what Derek was getting at.
Why is ThunderbirdJunkie referring to himself in the 3rd person point of view? This is pretty annoying, weird, and vain.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:19 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, it's vain to refer to one's self with any pronouns that specify yourself (IE "I", which is one you can't use for other people, "ME" is one you can't use for other people...). ThunderbirdJunkie feels not that he should refer to himself in any manner that he would not address another, JeremyZ.

In ThunderbirdJunkie's eyes, YOU are the one who is self-centered if you must use these self-centric pronouns.

Also, you asking is pretty annoying and weird.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

This is par for the course when it comes to ball differentials. Even as a veteran, ThunderbirdJunkie has toasted three diffs THIS YEAR in his AD2 due to misadjustment...which is exactly what Derek was getting at.
Why is ThunderbirdJunkie referring to himself in the 3rd person point of view? This is pretty annoying, weird, and vain.
This is actually not unheard of in some other cultures, but yeah, in the US or most of the western world it sounds _very_ wierd. It's even wierder when its done in person, but occassionally you do come across someone who talks like that. Sometimes they are actually existential nihilists but most of the time they are just trying to stand out in some way, and more often than not they're only going to end up sounding idiotic.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:02 PM
burnineyes

Interesting your point of view, because ThunderbirdJunkie has always thought the Evader is a nice truck.

I guess I shouldnt have picked any particular model to make my point, this is why I dont write magazine articles......

Maybe you can let him know I was just making an example. But it is a pretty easy model to pick on. I have not seen one at the track last more than a few laps, but thats likely the people who own them and not the model itself.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:06 PM
ThEoNeS911

RC Car Action is a bit "bubblegum". They give almost everything positive reviews, and half of it is ads.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:19 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: burnineyes

Interesting your point of view, because ThunderbirdJunkie has always thought the Evader is a nice truck.

I guess I shouldnt have picked any particular model to make my point, this is why I dont write magazine articles......

Maybe you can let him know I was just making an example. But it is a pretty easy model to pick on. I have not seen one at the track last more than a few laps, but thats likely the people who own them and not the model itself.
You kind of missed the point.

There are lots of cars lots of people don't like, but those same cars that lots of people DO like.
All cars have their downsides and their advantages.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Access

There are lots of cars lots of people don't like, but those same cars that lots of people DO like.
Well sometimes a vehicle has a lot more downsides or defects than any kind of upsides. When I see these vehicles reviewed, I want this pointed out. Ie. "I just don't see any reason to pay good money for this. There's better choices out there at similar prices." A good reviewer is always trying to find reference points and keep the big picture in mind. No vehicle really exists alone, it has to be compared to those in the same class, price range, etc.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 PM
vwlippy

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I think that the reason RC car action is thicker than RCC or RCD is the ads. That's the reason I stopped getting RCCA.
I actually like the ads. I like seeing whats new on sale, etc
Old 12-21-2009, 12:34 PM
DerekBuono

ORIGINAL: dan42

I think magazines are great! There are pages to turn and you can read reports ,not opinions, on products and events. I also think there is something to be said for the photography in the magazines. The prices of the magazines have gotten a bit steep, which is disapointing and is probably the real reason no one buys them.
Umm the prices haven't gone up...we are still $20 for 12 issues, which if you do the math is like a $1.50 an issue. Not much else you can get for a $1.50. You pay more a month for the internet, one cup of coffee a cheese burger..you get the point.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:37 PM
DerekBuono

ORIGINAL: Access

Well sometimes a vehicle has a lot more downsides or defects than any kind of upsides. When I see these vehicles reviewed, I want this pointed out. Ie. ''I just don't see any reason to pay good money for this. There's better choices out there at similar prices.'' A good reviewer is always trying to find reference points and keep the big picture in mind. No vehicle really exists alone, it has to be compared to those in the same class, price range, etc.

There are a few problems with this. Let's say 1/8-scale buggies. They are all pretty similar in price and similar in performance and for the average guy they can't use or tell the difference in them....so there isn't a "this is better."

Also when you review a car it's not a comparison. Unless they are tested on the same day with the same equipment it would be wrong to say one car is better because you didn't drive them together. That's why shootouts are so good, and so hard to do right.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
DerekBuono

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

I would probably read here for most stuff, and maybe subscribe to RC Car Action's online subscription. I like that we can read past reviews there without having to keep paper copies of the mags.

The reviews here are very good, but pretty low in volume compared to one of the big print magazines.

One thing I do is go to the local bookstore, buy a tea and a snack in their cafe, and read their magazines. Yeah, I know that is not good because I'm not supporting the mag. But if the mag had more than about 5% that I wanted to read, it might be a different story.

WE all do that.

We also have a digital version on the worlds most popular digital magazine website. Zinio. Check it out.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
dan42

ORIGINAL: DerekBuono

ORIGINAL: dan42

I think magazines are great! There are pages to turn and you can read reports ,not opinions, on products and events. I also think there is something to be said for the photography in the magazines. The prices of the magazines have gotten a bit steep, which is disapointing and is probably the real reason no one buys them.
Umm the prices haven't gone up...we are still $20 for 12 issues, which if you do the math is like a $1.50 an issue. Not much else you can get for a $1.50. You pay more a month for the internet, one cup of coffee a cheese burger..you get the point.

You are right about the subscription rate. I was referring to the cover price, but I think I will subscribe and quit complaining about the cover price.