Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Aurora 9Ch, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 PM
orcrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aurora 9Ch, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips.

If you have a setup you wish to share or have a question on how to program something then please post your findings here.

Any tips, shortcuts, undocumented features, mixes etc. Basically anything that will help Aurora users maximise the use/programming of their radio.

Please try and keep this thread on topic as there are plenty of other threads to enthuse or complain on.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:15 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aurora 9Ch, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips.

"Initial list updated with new information and as Q&A arise - check back regularily.

Content updated and transferred to post #45. "

Thank you

Alan Tong

Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 AM
jereis

Default RE: Aurora 9Ch, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips.

Help is needed:
I'm not being able to put the servos moving the correct direction in a T-Rex Heli Swash Type (3 servos 120º);
The "Servo Reverse" option is not enough, to put the three servos moving the correct way for AILE, ELEV and PITC; if AILE is Ok, then PITC is not and if I correct PITC the others became wrong... (as you know, all the three servos move at the same time in order to have a correct move of the Swash Plate, for PITC for example).

How can i reverse the direction of one servo only, in this case, without change all the Swash movements?

Thank you.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Using the Aurora with the Aerofly ProDeluxe Flight Sim - after much head scratching, I realized that the "native" Aurora with the 2.4 G module installed isn't "recognized" by the AFP USBInterface. Fix was quite simple; unplug the module. Sim came up immediately, and after creating a profile in the Sim and calibrating it, works just fine.

Apparently "something" in the output of the trainer jack honks up the AFP interface.

The Aurora also does *not* require to be setup in Trainer mode.

Works slicker 'n snot.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:46 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello Using the Aurora with the Aerofly ProDeluxe Flight Sim - after much head scratching, I realized that the "native" Aurora with the 2.4 G module installed isn't "recognized" by the AFP USBInterface. Fix was quite simple; unplug the module. Sim came up immediately, and after creating a profile in the Sim and calibrating it, works just fine. Apparently "something" in the output of the trainer jack honks up the AFP interface.
The Aurora also does *not* require to be setup in Trainer mode. Works slicker 'n snot.
Thanks, Aerofly ProDeluxe Flight Sim not available to test locally. Aurora - Simulator function Set-up has been amended with a link to your post.
Q: After removal of module, insertion of USBcable/dongle, was there any difference if TX used in "Transmit" Yes or No or mode?
Thanks
Alan T.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Bob Pastorello

No, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the output to the sim, either way.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:10 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: jereis Help is needed: I'm not being able to put the servos moving the correct direction in a T-Rex Heli Swash Type (3 servos 120º
The "Servo Reverse" option is not enough, to put the three servos moving the correct way for AILE, ELEV and PITC; if AILE is Ok, then PITC is not and if I correct PITC the others became wrong... (as you know, all the three servos move at the same time in order to have a correct move of the Swash Plate, for PITC for example). How can i reverse the direction of one servo only, in this case, without change all the Swash movements? Thank you.
Answered (post1127) and alternative (prior Aurora method) earlierpost 1111.
Regards
Alan T.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:54 AM
GhostRider32

Great list Alan. You and Mike have done a great job in helping out with the Aurora.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Bob Pastorello

Binding/Linking the Aurora - (for dummies)
1.Turn on TX
2.While depressing link button in module, push "YES" to "Transmit". (TXModule light blinks)
3. While depressing link button in RECEIVER, turn on RECEIVER.
4.When TXmodule quits blinking, Turn OFFRX. Turn OFFTX.

Finished.
The receiver is linked to that TX "forever"....unless you try to link it without a TX on.

Very solid system. And easy.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Uneven elevator trim while using AILEVATOR

I have the A9 installed in a Seagull 120 Spacewalker which now has four flights on it. My model type setup is 2 aileron and ailevator which assigns chan 2 = ELEV and chan 6 = ELE2 with each channel driving its own servo. During the test flights I had to input a good bit of up trim to achieve level flight. Yesterday I noticed that the chan 2 elevator half was not even with the other elevator half and that it appeared to be trimmed more. I confirmed this with the servo monitor page where I could easily see the difference. I duplicated the model on another memory and then proceeded to check everything I could think of and then just started going through menus trying to discover what was causing the issue. I remembered reading on the RCU Futaba support site that Bax had indicated (for the 14MZ) that you should use the 'ailevator page' to adjust the elevator throws when you use the ailevator function - did not say why though and for some reason that stayed in the back of my mind. On the Spacewalker I had adjusted the elevator throw for both elevators using the EPA page instead of the AILEVATOR page. So I put the EPA throws back to 100% and adjusted to the correct throws on the AILEVATOR page and low and behold the trims for both elevators produced the same amount of movement. I went back and forth between using the EPA and the AILEVATOR and each time it confirmed the same results. If you use model type AILEVATOR then you need to use that function when adjusting the elevator throw instead of using EPA.

Howard
Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Howard Uneven elevator trim while using AILEVATOR I have the A9 installed in a Seagull 120 Spacewalker which now has four flights on it. My model type setup is 2 aileron and ailevator which assigns chan 2 = ELEV and chan 6 = ELE2 with each channel driving its own servo. During the test flights I had to input a good bit of up trim to achieve level flight. Yesterday I noticed that the chan 2 elevator half was not even with the other elevator half and that it appeared to be trimmed more. I confirmed this with the servo monitor page where I could easily see the difference. I duplicated the model on another memory and then proceeded to check everything I could think of and then just started going through menus trying to discover what was causing the issue. I remembered reading on the RCU Futaba support site that Bax had indicated (for the 14MZ) that you should use the 'ailevator page' to adjust the elevator throws when you use the ailevator function - did not say why though and for some reason that stayed in the back of my mind. On the Spacewalker I had adjusted the elevator throw for both elevators using the EPA page instead of the AILEVATOR page. So I put the EPA throws back to 100% and adjusted to the correct throws on the AILEVATOR page and low and behold the trims for both elevators produced the same amount of movement. I went back and forth between using the EPA and the AILEVATOR and each time it confirmed the same results. If you use model type AILEVATOR then you need to use that function when adjusting the elevator throw instead of using EPA. Howard
Thanks Howard,
Apears to bea universal "ailevator" thingy. Typical responses, held on file when setting up a model some time ago 2007,to same question with other brand TX have been =
"Being that the 9C doesn't have an actual dual elevator function, it is up to you to make sure your mechanical advantage is extremely close, along with your ATV's being the same and also the End Points. Those items all matching should enable you to match your mixed channels to closely allow the servos to flow closely together. It's extremely challenging as the farther your mixed channels are away from each other, the harder it is to get them to flow together, all having to do with the way the transmitter talks between the channels in the P-mixes."
"Instead of using the ailevator mix (2-8), make your own pmix 2-5, which will decrease the delay between the servos. Just make sure to turn on the trim function and deactivate the switch assigned to channel 5. "
Mechanical set upis critical as swing of rod can make a big difference.
Regards
Alan T.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Bob Pastorello

There is no visible, discernible delay between channels, when you assign the channel NUMBER the same "name"....i.e.. I have my Right Elevator on CH 6, identified as "ELEVATOR" in the CHANNELfunction. I set up the Left Elevator on Channel 7, identified as "ELEVATOR" also.
Now, the individual channels sub trims, end points, are adjustable in the SUBTRIM and EPAmodes.....but in D/R, EXPO, and all MIXES.....BOTH channels get affected simultaneously.

I tested this doing a R>Elev mix, permitting Trim to affect it..... you cannot see ANY difference in timing on the deflections.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
griesel

I posted this on another Aurora 9 forum and got good partial answers but no banana.
I want to set up the throttle cut such that when I am at minimum throttle which is set
up for a slow idle ( no dead sticks ) with the carburetor slightly open that when I
activate H switch the engine stops. The trim will be about or above midpoint.
What I want is to simulate running the trim down to stop the engine but using H switch.
I also have set up a 7 point throttle curve that I think is working. Reverse on throttle
is set to Norm. This is an OS 95AX 2 stroke. The devil is in the details. I am looking
for someone who has actually done this.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Grandpa T

Sounds like you’ve set every thing except the rate. I had to set the rate to –50 for my OS FS-91. See page 105 of the Aurora 9 manual for further info.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:23 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

I'm not sure what you have done and what you haven't done. I never use a throttle curve and this will change what I am suggesting. Here is my procedure. Before I start my settings I confirm that throttle trim and subtrim are at neutral/0.

1. I set EPA's
a. set the high end of the stick to the carb being wide open
b. set the low end of the throttle epa to the reliable/sustainable idle.
2. then I set my Throttle Cut percentage so that it will stop.

Hasn't failed yet. After this I can still adjust the idle with the throttle stick trim without messing up my cut-off. Hope it works for you..
Old 12-01-2009, 02:10 PM
griesel

OK Grandpa T and bgw45 I need to be spoon fed. Could you both please list the rate +/-;
the switch; Adjust to trim setting; both top and bottom on/off settings;and Cut Position.

About the Throttle curve. My settings are:
points 1 thru 7: 0%,12%,24%,40%,60%,80%,100%
What this does is give a little finer control of the throttle when landing.
I like to set the angle of attack and then use the throttle to control
the descent with a little increase in angle at flair time. Using the throttle
curve gives a little finer control of the throttle. I just finished flying the
A9 this morning for the first time and after one adjustment the throttle control
and landings were great.

I think the A9 runs the servo's faster which in turn causes increase current
draw. I have a pair of JR DS821 digital servos on the ailerons and with a low
battery, 6.25 volts, was lighting up a Hextronic voltage monitor like a christmas
tree. I did some measurements and the voltage was getting as low as 5.75
volts, under a 2 DS821 load which is not a problem. I have not seen this with
a DX7 and about 170 flights. I think I will change the servos to Hitec HS322HB
standard servos and get rid of the Hextronic voltage monitor.

Thanks guys Internet, is great because nobody at my club has an A9 and some
do not even know what it is.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:33 PM
GhostRider32

ORIGINAL: griesel

nobody at my club has an A9 and some
They will before long. Hitec has come up with a radio that has made me leave Futaba and many others also. Futaba and JR both make great radio's but when I look at the comparison:

http://www.hitecaurora.com/Comparison_Chart.pdf

Hitec just seems way out in front now. Telemetry, touchscreen, complete channel assignment, ect.... all of this has sold me on the Aurora.

Times change and Futaba and JR may come storming back with something even better but for the time being, IMHO, the Aurora is now the standard for 9 - 10 channel radios and I'm buying right now. The other thing that has helped Hitec is that both Futaba and JR are more expensive than the Aurora and even if they could equal the Aurora with features, they are still more expensive. Using my Tower coupon, I'm getting the Aurora with 9 channel receiver for $399. Add the free seven channel receiver and another 7 channel for another $39, what a deal.

Anyway, I hope you get your issue worked out, sorry but I don't have my Aurora yet so I can't help you but would if I could.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
bgw45

OK Grandpa T and bgw45 I need to be spoon fed. Could you both please list the rate +/-;
the switch; Adjust to trim setting; both top and bottom on/off settings;and Cut Position.

I used the same switch you used, H. Set the percentage @ -14 on this one. I just set it where it will cut-off.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:50 PM
griesel

I hooked up the right slider to the CAMBMIX which was neat. The ailerons would move
up (spoilerons) or down ( flaperons ) just by rotating the slider. However during regular
flying I was continually bumping the slider causing the camber to change and then
the trim would change. I finally disabled this feature. It would be better to have
another switch enable or disable this feature or use a 3 position switch instead of the
slider.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:48 PM
MikeMayberry

One of the problems is the lack of a center detente. We've modded the sliders and added it, which makes the them less prone to being bumped, and you always know true center. In the future this will be standard with the Aurora.

The mod is relatively simple, just remove the slider and notch a spot in the middle and reinstall. Only do this if you're comfortable w/disassembling the transmitter.

Mike.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Back Into RC

Mike,

Does opening / disassembling the transmitter void the warranty?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:24 PM
MikeMayberry

Only if you mess something up due to negligence.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

nobody at my club has an A9 and some
They will before long. Hitec has come up with a radio that has made me leave Futaba and many others also. Futaba and JR both make great radio's but when I look at the comparison:

http://www.hitecaurora.com/Comparison_Chart.pdf

Hitec just seems way out in front now. Telemetry, touchscreen, complete channel assignment, ect.... all of this has sold me on the Aurora.

Times change and Futaba and JR may come storming back with something even better but for the time being, IMHO, the Aurora is now the standard for 9 - 10 channel radios and I'm buying right now. The other thing that has helped Hitec is that both Futaba and JR are more expensive than the Aurora and even if they could equal the Aurora with features, they are still more expensive. Using my Tower coupon, I'm getting the Aurora with 9 channel receiver for $399. Add the free seven channel receiver and another 7 channel for another $39, what a deal.

Anyway, I hope you get your issue worked out, sorry but I don't have my Aurora yet so I can't help you but would if I could.
I'll drink to that, I ordered one too for $369.00 and will do the $39.95 add on for two more receivers. Also I bought the Spectra module with two more receivers, used a $20.00 coupon, for $109.00, now I can convert my Eclipse now and get some flying in, and they are IN STOCK at Tower...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXCZ0&P=ML

I snagged another Opti 7 receiver off of Flea Bay for $59.95, now I will have 6 receivers, the A9, and a Spectrum 2.4 module for the Eclipse for $577.00. I sold my Spektrum DX7 with 4 receivers on Ebay 2 weeks ago for $470.00, so for a $107 out of pocket I think I have moved up considerable in transmitter class, and have 2 additional receivers for my birds, and have the Eclipse cooking on 2.4 Ghz...just in case I want to drag it out and play with it. I love the prices, and feel the technolgy is the best you can buy right now. Yeah, perhaps JR and Futaba surely will have telemetry and touch screens coming, but a what price? I'm a Happy Camper and can wait patiently until they are off of backorder...

Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Bob Pastorello

By the way, boys 'n girls, following up to my near-disaster-test mode problem....I did further testing and discovered that when you "lock" the throttle, and go into MONITORmode, then "ACT" the TESTmode, it doesn't function.Seems the throttle channel is the "test rate" control for the TESTMode, so if it is locked, she no workee.

To use the TESTmode, the throttle gotta be able to move!!!

(Undocumented feature, but not one that hurts my feelings at all, following my disaster)
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Stoeptegel

HI, looks like a killer radio. One question though, is the EPA actually limiting the servo throw? i.e. does the transmitter allow the servo go beyond the EPA when applying full flaps and aileron input at the same time on flaperons and thus go beyond the set EPA? Or is the EPA limiting and does not allow to sum different mix inputs? (if you know what i mean...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.