Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Bigbangtheory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Probably a stupid question and I did try to get an answer in the battery threads, the actually Thunder AC6 battery charger thread, but it is dead over there.

My question is do I need to make connectors to hook up my NiMH batteries to it? I have to open it as it is another Christmas present, but from the video's I have seen it looks like they are Deans connectors.

Would this work for it.........to my TRX batteries so I don't have to buy deans connectors for my batteries? I already have this and bought it thinking I needed it and haven' t needed to use it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDC1&P=ML

Note though, it says not to use with high current. Would a charger be considered this? Feel stupid asking that, but I am learning all of this with each post and thread I read, which I need to do a ton more actually, lol!

Thanks for the help! Jesse
Old 12-21-2009, 02:55 PM
j33p3r
My Feedback: (142)

That connector should take a Traxxas charger to a tamiya battery by the looks of it.
What is on your battery at the moment?
Charging is not considered high current as you only charge a battery at its capacity usually.
ie 1 to 8 Amps.

I use one of these type of things http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=571021

that way with the "octopus" adapter, I can charge my batteries, deans, tamiya, traxxas, my glow plug ignitor and my receiver packs from the same charger
Old 12-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Bigbangtheory

Thanks for the info bud.

My batteries right now are a Venom 7.4v 3000mah NIMH and a 8.4v 3000mah NiMH Traxxas battery. Both have the TRX connector.

Also is there anywhere else you could get that item you listed? Looks like that ad expired.

Thanks, Jesse.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:02 AM
NewKid
My Feedback: (1)

my slash type vehicle: really an extended rustler chassis with slash front and rear end plus stock servo

right now it's broke down(just blew up my third titan motor anyway going to use this one in unlimited class now so I'll be running a novak8.5T if that's too much then a 13.5 and if I still don't like it a 17.5!

this conversion really helps with the quickness of the steering..the truck seems to pivot a lot faster(I am running a slightly shorter WB though!) also jumps cleaner
Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Diesel48
My Feedback: (2)

Can you rotate the slash tires? Last night I moved my front tires to the back and the back tires to the front. Is this ok to do or do I need to switch them back?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Clymer122693

Diesel- you'll be fine. They are different offset wheels but its not a big deal. I do the same when I'm racing, my rear's are worn down a bit so I rotate them to get more traction when needed.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Rimripper

Hey these are all good posts in here,funny if you read from the start all the people tearing this new product up!Well I know at my local track the SLASH was the biggest class and looked like alot of fun to run.....so I bought one hahaha.I will keep mine stock (i.e)motor esc to stay in the stock class,maybe buy a roller to ''do up''but this is great for now!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:31 PM
aythomps

hi guys, One quick question. I'm think about get a new TX (Spektrum). Can you bind any 2.4ghz dsm rx to any 2.4ghz tx? Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 05:25 AM
GT2rider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did you get that much travel up front ?

Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Fire106

Greetings All.....

Not new to RC here...but I have been away for awhile......2 years actually. I used to have quite a collection but sold it all 2 years ago....bought a boat and did a lot of fishing...........

But I cant stay away any longer......just picked up a used slash on ebay and cant wait to see what it can do. Im looking forward to tinkering and upgrading.
Will most likely be going brushless but just reading and researching here and trying to decide on a good set up.....right now im leaning towards a MM esc and
either a vxl 3500 or mamba 4600

Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Bigbangtheory

People have had really good luck using the MM ESC with the VXL motor........I believe it runs cooler, but don't quote me on that.

Good to have you in the family! I just picked mine up a few weeks ago. Love it! Check for your LHS(Local Hobby Store) to see where to race them. They have spec/stock classes that are a lot of fun! Almost always comes down to the driver.

So for now I am keeping mine stock to race there once in a blue moon.

I am sure I will grow bored of the slower speed, but for now it will suffice.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Fire106

Thanks Bigbang.........glad to be back...but already realizing I should have kept some of the accessories.......like the duratrax ice charger I just got on ebay....

O Well.....

Just ordered Mamba Max ESC and 4600 combo from Tower. Now I just need to find a couple of decent lipo packs and I will be
all set when my Slash gets here. I will mostly be running at a local track in a public park....nice track but no organized racing.
There is a place about an hour away that has indoor races so im gonna find out if they race stock or moded slashes...

cant wait to get my hands on this truck...

Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Bigbangtheory

Good deal mang, enjoy!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 AM
savage6969

looking to get another battery pack right now i have orion super duty 3300 nimh how much bigger can i go and what would be a good pack to get and run in my stock slash
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Bigbangtheory

What voltage is your 3300?

If it is 7.2v, look into a 8.4 voltage battery. There is a difference in power. I have a Venom 7.2 3000mah battery and a 8.4v Traxxas 3000mah battery and my Traxxas battery makes my stock Slash faster.....and seems to last longer to boot!

If you want a little more power and run times, check into lipo2's. Just need a charger to charge it and balance it. I have it, but still using NIMH due to the dangers of Lipo's. I would read up on them if you wen that route.

Also I would check into promatch NIMH for batteries. A lot of people say good things about their batteries. Will be my next NIMH when I purchase one.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Ken448

Well since it is a higher V and more cells it WILL be faster. If it was not, then there is something wrong. Everything you wrote makes perfect sense.

As for Lipo vs NiMh Ill never buy another NiMH after making the change to LiPo. The power is 100% til the battery is drained.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Bigbangtheory

I hear ya, just don't trust myself with them, lol!

Once Spring comes, I can work more out in the garage and if I did blow something up, it would be just that.........the garage and I, lol!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 PM
savage6969

my packs now are 7.2v how many mah can i go with the 7.2v and how many mah can i go with the 8.4v what pack would you guys recomend? and as for lifp i might start running them after i go brushless.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Ken448

you can go as many mah as you can find. It is just the battery's capacity. Higher mah = longer runtime!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Bigbangtheory

I would look into the promatch NIMH batteries. Seem to be priced right and heard good things about them.

I am not sure how many mah's you can go, but I am sure you would be safe with 5000mah. Make sure you have a decent charger. Some chargers only go up to that.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 AM
devast8r
My Feedback: (17)

Alright guys finally getting this Slash build under way I just ordered a Integy Evo-X chassis, Traxxas Big Bores, Novak 2s Smart Stop, and 2 2s lipos.I'll post pics after getting the parts (before and after). Now I just got to get up the money for that Zero Tolerance long travel suspension kit.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Ken448

I was told the Smart Stop will not work with the stock ESC by my LHS which then sold me a much cheaper lipo monitor that wires right into the batt plug.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7224 I think I posted pix a couple pages back of it
Old 12-31-2009, 02:21 PM
RacerRSX

Hey Everyone, I am new to RC Cars. My brother who does touring cars and a friend at the LHS talked me into giving them a try. My first cars was the 1/16 E-Revo, which is a lot of fun. Then I got the Slash a couple months ago. The Slash is more fun (faster and bigger than the little Revo). Right now the Slash is down for repairs. So far I have the VXL brushless, 3S Lipo, Shock Caps, and heavier shock oil. This forum has been very helpful.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 PM
savage6969

the charger i have now is the traxxas ez peak this was a pack made by promatch http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=42006
is there any other packs that woul be good?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Dirt_hawg

I dont have time to look through this thread, but, I just got a new Slash..What are the best mods to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.