Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Lost interest in a build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Lost interest in a build

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost interest in a build

I started bashing a Sig Kadet Senior ,got one wing done with flaps and ailerons . For some reason I have lost all interest in building it. Had to push myself to get as far as I have, which has slowed my building down to a crawl. Usually I build like a madman , but for some reason, just lost,all interest in finishing it. Really hate to set it aside, but I'm getting no where.
This ever happen to anyone else?
I have a GP 300S,, a Venture 60, LT40 and a GB Clipped wing Cub ,I'm very anxious to get stated on, but lost all desire to finish the K.S. Maybe I should set it off to the side for now, but hate to start something and not finish it.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Lost interest in a build

Set it aside Robby. Maybe you'll come back to it, maybe it'll end up on the auction block. No sense wasting time on something that you're not interested in
Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Mr. E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this like just happened to me too ive got a kadet seniorita and a another plane i need to repair i think its just not hard anuff for me anymore. i think i need a challenge mabey its the same for you. add more mods make it work makeing i know my last eagle 2 i built i had to mod it big time to make my self get into it
Old 12-23-2009, 08:11 PM
viva_peru

Hi-

This is something which probably happens to all of us at one point or another. I enjoy building, but there are parts of the process which I don't find very rewarding, so when I get to them, I will slow down. One thing that I have noticed helps me move along is to build out of sequence. I might work on a wing panel, get to the point that it is ready to join to the other half, only to start working on the stab or fuselage for a change of pace. I typically start with one wing panel, build the fuse, stab, rudder and finish the build with the other panel. I also noticed that from time to time, it helps to work on a simple part of the build, just so that you can feel like you accomplished something. Also, sometimes setting it aside for a few weeks will help.

In the end, sometimes we also loose interest in the plane itself. I have noticed that I generally will carry through if the plane is supposed to fill a void in the fleet. In a sense, it gives it purpose.

Good luck,

Teo
Old 12-23-2009, 08:23 PM
The Bluehead

Not usually with a kit, because they build quickly, but I have 2 projects that I have been working on for the last few years. I do others along with them, but when I get in a pinch, get stymied for ideas, or just plain don't want to mess with it anymore, I put it away and come back to it later. Put it somewhere safe and if the urge comes back to play with it you can. Santa brought me the Don Smith 169 inch B-29 plans so that will be the next multi-year project!

Will
Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Thanks for the replys.gentlemen. I'm not stuck on the build, just lost interest in it. I'm going to take the advise and box it up and set it on the shelf for awhile .I was feeling guilty as I has strarted a build thread on it and had sevearl people interested in it. Takes all the fun out ofit, if your just not into it
Now which one do I start ? lol. I feel another build thread coming on.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 PM
evaristus

Set it aside rest look other interests, the urge will come back for sure, (balsa bug fever is an incurable disease with remissions and exacerbations).

Happy holidays
Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 PM
SPLIT S

Set it aside for now and move onto something you want to do. As others have said, we've all been there. I find that if I have to force myself into the shop that's when mistakes are made and quality starts to slip. You end up wanting to finish it just for the sake of it and then end up with something that just isn't what you expected. It's a feeling that's hard to explain when you are so hyped up for so long and then one morning it's just gone. But for me at least, as quick as it leaves it's back again. I like to dig out some old rc magazines and see what others have done in the past, re-organize the shop a little - just some things that are still rc related but give my brain a rest for a little while with what's on the board now. Before long it's back at it and the hyped up feeling is back. Nothing wrong though about moving on to the next build though, you can never have enough kits....

Dan
Old 12-23-2009, 10:08 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Now which one do I start ?
Clipped Wing Goldberg Cub!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Mike ,your a mind reader, lol, Cleaning up the shop now . You know I'm going to pick your brain for setting it up on floats .I'll try not to be to much of a pest. I know it,s been done before, but looking forward to a build thread on it. Thanks for all the help'
Robbie
Old 12-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Minnreefer

Robbie, if you decide that you are not interested, I may be interested in taking it off your hands, I jsut gave my son a sig kadet for his 6th birhtday, but it does not have ailerons and I would like to make a second plane for him. If you build it great, if not, let me know.

I like cubs, but they are pretty common, how about a beaver

Jon
Old 12-23-2009, 10:50 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

I set my GP extra 300 aside for 5 months, I did other things in the mean time, worked, eorked on my CJ-7 restoration, hung out with friends, but when I was forced to stay home, I picked it back up again. I managed to finish the plane off in 2 weeks, so just put it on the side and don't give yourself a deadline. If it seems like it's taking forever, your not going to enjoy any of it, and the same feeling might creep up on you durring the next build. Take your time and work on it when you get motivated.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Jon, I'll keep that in mind, have'nt decided what to do with it. I'll let you know before the TCRC auction. I assume you'll be there.Feb 6th.
I'll be rekitting my old GB Cub as I picked up a kit a few days ago , a Beaver would be cool tho.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Minnreefer

No worries, I don't want to hijack your thread, and I have heard good things about the plane, so just let it sit and decide latter.

I do want to build a cub myself one of these days, and put floats on it.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:16 AM
sir crashallot

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

I have a GP 300S,, a Venture 60, LT40 and a GB Clipped wing Cub ,I'm very anxious to get stated on,

theres your problem, you have more kits awaiting to be built and deep inside you would perfer any of them to the one your building. what i normaly do is put the kits awaiing assembly out of sight, though for me it dosnt work. i currantly have 12 unfinished projects aswell as an almost finished merlin which needs the wing sanding down and covering and the generaly few bits to finish. im waiting for covering to arrive to complete the wing. meanwhile im also building a flair at6 texan and i too have slowed down on the build. the idea is take your time from the begining or you will burn yourself out. the idea of a kit is to enjoy the build not hate it and just wish the build was finished or that then becomes a chore, and when part of your hobby becomes or seems like a chore to you then its not a good sign.

what im doing at the minute is working on a few at once, tricky it is but with carefull planning its easily undertaken.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:36 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a Ziroli PT-17 87" 75% Complete for 5 yrs now, a Ziroli P-40 20% Complete for 3 yrs and I am currently building a 33% Waco which is 80% Complete. I haven't lost interest on the Waco just time is at a premium right now. I plan on going back and finishing the other planes but will probably build a couple more before finishing them.
I built a 25% Waco last year and forced myself to work on it every day, was a very tough build and tried my patience more than a few times. It became more of a quest than anything to finish that build. I find myself looking for the next project while I am still building a plane and that can get you into trouble with your current build. My next plane will be a 33% Curtis Jenny with a 174.5" Wingspan
Anthony
Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 AM
dignlivn

Robbie,

I have no kits currently to build, and plenty of time.
Whats wrong with that picture.

So remember, it could be worse,

Bob
Old 12-24-2009, 12:25 PM
GaryHarris

I'm in the same boat as Robbie. I have this Herr Cloud Ranger just about ready to cover but I have lost interest in it. Probably because the brown truck Santa may be bringing me a BUSA Eindecker 90 today. (Wish they used UPS tracking so I'd know for sure.) But in anticipation, I made the trek to Wallyworld to get some more wax paper, yes, on Christmas eve. What a mess. And guess what? They didn't have any wax paper! [:@]

Come on brown truck Santa!

Hope saran wrap works ok.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Gooseman240

I have to vote, the Beaver is a very good plane, I want some one to provide a kit on that plane. One of Canada's greatest contributions to the aviation industry.

Now only if I won the lotto to buy the real thing for 1/2 a mill fully restored with floats.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:19 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

In the past, saran wrap doesn't work, try using the backing plastic from monokote, it works better.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:13 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I've had this happen to me before too. As a matter of fact it took me a year to build a Four Star 60....which should have been done in a month. I ended up putting it on the shelf, and not looking at it for several months.

If I were you I wouldn't start another one until you finish it. I'm gonna be starting to build a Goldberg Extra sometime in the next month or two for next spring, but I need to finish a few other things first...some RC related, some not.

In my mind....there's nothing worse than having multiple projects (especially the kinds with many parts, and that take up lots of space) going at the same time. So....with that it kinda "forces" me to get stuff done.

I guess I equate it with work sometimes. There's alot at work I don't like to do, but just have to do.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

In the past, saran wrap doesn't work, try using the backing plastic from monokote, it works better.

Good idea! Thanks.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:16 PM
sir crashallot

thats somthing else. on the bottom of my posts there is a linki to an old build i started some 1 3/4 years ago. its for a scratch built ultimate, iv never got round to doing any more work on it, though i will eventualy i just havent found the time[:@] or the motivation
Old 12-24-2009, 05:13 PM
jship

I had the very same problem with a Four Star 60. I loved the plane but lost all interest in building. It felt like a ARF, nochallenge. Finished it two years later, loved flying it. When it went in I about cried. But there was a up side. Bought the 120 size and could not stop building on it. Most fun plane I ever built. Little bashing, and it's morelike kit building. I guess I'm not in to alllazer cutting.

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

I've had this happen to me before too. As a matter of fact it took me a year to build a Four Star 60....which should have been done in a month. I ended up putting it on the shelf, and not looking at it for several months.

If I were you I wouldn't start another one until you finish it. I'm gonna be starting to build a Goldberg Extra sometime in the next month or two for next spring, but I need to finish a few other things first...some RC related, some not.

In my mind....there's nothing worse than having multiple projects (especially the kinds with many parts, and that take up lots of space) going at the same time. So....with that it kinda "forces" me to get stuff done.

I guess I equate it with work sometimes. There's alot at work I don't like to do, but just have to do.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:12 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Heck, I have gotten mad or bored and just dropped right out of airplanes for years at a time.. that stuff will keep unless the water or mice get to it...why do it if isn't fun?

Come back to it when it is...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.