Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

The official Z-Car ZMXT-8 Z-Truggy thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

The official Z-Car ZMXT-8 Z-Truggy thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:01 AM
IL2mSturmovik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The official Z-Car ZMXT-8 Z-Truggy thread

ORIGINAL: 20%nitro

thank you so much for the reply. that is exactly the info i was looking for. i ordered the kits along with some stiff springs and a few other parts today. should i order the aluminum bracket for the forward pins on the rear lower arms or does the plastic one hold up ok? thanks again IL2mSturmovik

The plastic one doesnt do to bad at all, the alum one is a nice part to have, and the machining alone on it is droolworthy, lol
have you checked out z-carusa.com? There are a ton of pics and info there on the Z-Cars

Welcome to the Z-Army
Old 12-25-2009, 03:26 PM
20%nitro

i have the kits now and for the price i am surprised in the quality of the parts. i have only started assy but the diffs and the shocks are together (i like to build the shocks ahead of time so they dont slow down the main assy time.) the parts and hardware are bagged the best i have ever seen in that everything (not the the oils of course) even the screws are in one neat pkg i dont have to look around through other bags for this or that. the only thing in the instruciton book so far that wasnt clear was which shock rod end went to f or r but i used the long for the rear and vise versa. i wish the pipe had a slick surface so it would stay cleaner but not a big deal.may use one of my jp pipes anyway. the tires are very good and i did not expect that at all, they look as good as proline cf lpr maybe better.

A couple of qustions though. how well do the star wheel (hexes?) work? and since as a gift i got some proline vtr premounts (0 offset) do the extenders have any negative effects? if not i may just order them and the aluminum rear arm bracket too. thanks for any help!
i have just been to z-carusa for a min or 2 but looks like a good place to find what i will need.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:41 PM
zzzzink

I am looking at the Z-Cars ZMXB-8 or truggy pro kits to get back into the 1/8 nitro for bashing. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the truggy and buggy kit besides the bigger tires/wheels and body mounts on the truggy? Are the chassis and everything else the same in the two kits?
Old 12-25-2009, 08:08 PM
rclynx

whole bunch of difference .............. l
Old 12-25-2009, 09:03 PM
20%nitro

i am sure there are many differences between the buggy and the truggy. these are some differences i have found: shock towers,arm length,chassis length,cvd and all the stuff to accommodate the longer items and then the obvious tires, body and related.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:55 PM
misasi

I picked up myself the ZMXT for Christmas. I remember looking at this truck a year ago but i was going to hold off a year before buying it. i actually wasn't going to buy it because not many people have it but the Christmas special was too good of a price to pass off. I am glad i bought it tho the quality is incredible. The attention to detail is nice to.

The only thing i do not like is the star hubs. They seem to fit the 17mm hex but should i just buy new ones instead of running the risk of stripping my rims?

I tried to sign up on the z-car forum but for some reason my account still has not been activated.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:09 PM
20%nitro

yea misasi, i am with you on the star hex, i think when used with the z wheel it would be stronger but not sure when used with regular hex.

i am at a stand still for now on the assy because i am waiting on some setup info. i cant seem to find any team driver setup sheets so i will have a good base setup to work from. i think im gona like this truck. when installing the diff in the housing i shimmed the ring gear with one shim tight to the pinion. tried two but it seemed to have a small tight area(even after a short breakin with a cordless drill on the pinion) and i think i will recheck next diff service. used 1k rear 10 center and 7 front diff oil. the first track it will run on is tight and technical hope this works ok.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:58 PM
misasi

Yea for the diffs i am guessing at what oils. I will be running 7k/10k/5k but i am running on a very loose track so ill probably end up dropping the weights a bit. I was not sure about how to shim the diffs but i went for the best feel and mesh and i found one on each side did the trick. I know what you mean about the z wheel being stronger. Its nice but I already have a bunch for tires for the regular hex. it would be sweet if they had a little insert that you could put over the star that would make it a standard hex. The only thing that sucks is i have to wait until the snow to melt before i get to drive the truck
Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 PM
bdog298

I ordered my rtr a week ago at 250 couldn't help but ordertons ofhop ups. cant wait going to be a sick truggyshould be in by 29th
Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 PM
IL2mSturmovik

Old 12-26-2009, 07:29 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: 20%nitro

i have the kits now and for the price i am surprised in the quality of the parts. i have only started assy but the diffs and the shocks are together (i like to build the shocks ahead of time so they dont slow down the main assy time.) the parts and hardware are bagged the best i have ever seen in that everything (not the the oils of course) even the screws are in one neat pkg i dont have to look around through other bags for this or that. the only thing in the instruciton book so far that wasnt clear was which shock rod end went to f or r but i used the long for the rear and vise versa. i wish the pipe had a slick surface so it would stay cleaner but not a big deal.may use one of my jp pipes anyway. the tires are very good and i did not expect that at all, they look as good as proline cf lpr maybe better.

A couple of qustions though. how well do the star wheel (hexes?) work? and since as a gift i got some proline vtr premounts (0 offset) do the extenders have any negative effects? if not i may just order them and the aluminum rear arm bracket too. thanks for any help!
i have just been to z-carusa for a min or 2 but looks like a good place to find what i will need.
The Z-Car tires are awesome!! The star hexes are outstanding, and work perfectly with Z-Car star wheels or the regular hex wheels. The extenders dont have any negative effects but the difference between half and no offset is about 12 mm.
Our star hubs are awesome! They are lighter than traditional hex hubs and have a LOT more surface area to contact the star wheels, but as well you can put regular hex wheels on there and they work perfectly, just dont have the superior contact area of the star hubs..
The pictures below show this better than I can explain

Old 12-27-2009, 12:29 AM
20%nitro

once again thanks IL2mSturmovik for the help. this gives me someting to start with. have a race tomorrow noon, will have to use the old mugen truck to do this one.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:57 AM
misasi

Thanks for the setup IL2mSturmovik I will use that as a baseline for my track because they look similar. Have you had any issues with the star hubs stripping the hex rims?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:20 AM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: misasi

Thanks for the setup IL2mSturmovik I will use that as a baseline for my track because they look similar. Have you had any issues with the star hubs stripping the hex rims?
Not even a tiny hint, Sir!
If you think about it the area of contact on our star hubs and teh regular hex hubs are about the same on hex wheels.
I have never heard of any problem running hex rims with our star hubs ever.
In fact the star hubs reduce rotatig mass as well
Old 12-28-2009, 06:19 PM
misasi

Well thats good to hear. I was not looking forward to replacing the hubs. So how come this truck still hasn't taken off in NA? Its been available for a while. Now I dont have much to compare it to i am upgrading from a TTR ST1 but so far quality kit, fit and finish blows it out of the water. I have seen 8t's up close too [havent worked on one] but this truck seems nicer than that aswell.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:59 PM
IL2mSturmovik

Marketing and exposure, there are still people who havent even heard of the Z-Car brand!! [X(]
The quality is as good as Xray or Mugen, and the metal is very high quality 7075

Well thats good to hear. I was not looking forward to replacing the hubs. So how come this truck still hasn't taken off in NA? Its been available for a while. Now I dont have much to compare it to i am upgrading from a TTR ST1 but so far quality kit, fit and finish blows it out of the water. I have seen 8t's up close too [havent worked on one] but this truck seems nicer than that aswell.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Amosp

Does anyone know of any other bodies that can be used on the truggy? Hot Bodies D8T?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:34 PM
pete8541

just got the truggy today, don't worry about the star hubs, I have more than 5 gallons thru my z buggy with no problems.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: pete8541

just got the truggy today, don't worry about the star hubs, I have more than 5 gallons thru my z buggy with no problems.

Good to hear, my personal buggy has 10+ gallons on all orig drive train and is still in great shape, one of the Team Drivers has 19 gallons on his!!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 AM
misasi

Have you had any issues with the diffs leaking at all? I dont like the setscrew idea. I did locktight it and i also uses some motor seal gasket maker + the paper gasket in an effort to prevent any leaks.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 AM
IL2mSturmovik

Have you had any issues with the diffs leaking at all? I dont like the setscrew idea. I did locktight it and i also uses some motor seal gasket maker + the paper gasket in an effort to prevent any leaks.
http://www.z-carusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=479
On the diffs, my 1st set I built leaked, and I have found the following to help, my diffs never leak now, all around them dry as a bone.
1st, mine leaked because I used threadlock on the grub screw as per the instructions, I have found that carb sealant works fantastic here, I even will cover the whole head of the allen/grub screw with it so I know its not leaking.
2nd, the diff gasket was leaking on one diff. I asked Degani and he replied they like to be soaked for a bit in the diff fluid, and as well make sure the sealing surface on the diff cup is smooth as well, if not hit it with some sand paper. When you tighten the 4 2mm diff screws, do it as you would a cars lug nuts, in 3 stages. You can give them pretty good torque, thanks to the nice quality of SH plastics.
3rd, the drive cup o-rings. If you have the black ones (some of the pro buggy kits included these), ditch them and get some revised ones that are pinkish red (thats all we sell). I swear by TA's Green Slime, I squirt a pretty decent amount in the area the o-ring sits in, the put the o-ring in, smear the now partially displaced green slime back down on it, then stick the drive cup through, making VERY sure it didnt unseat the o-ring, and then smear the green slime back down making a seal around that area.

Fill the diff cup about 2mm over the top of the spider gears, put the top back on, and voila'! Nice leak free, bulletproof Z-Diffs!
Zero problems with diff failures, thanks to the great metal SH uses in the gears.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 PM
misasi

Damn I must have missed that when i was passing through the forums. My diffs did come with the black O-Rings and i used threadlock on the grub screw. I did however use a lot of green slime. Errr ill just have to change it all out i guess.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
bdog298

I got my rtr truggy the other day. Very impressed only thing unsure of is the flexi plastic? I ordered the engine mount,center plate, brown springs, rear sway and everything to rebuild diffs.IMO one of the nicest paint \ bodies out a little Mayfield, Lutz mix cant wait for spring[8D]Whats best way to break in this engine?In cycles like a traxxas or wheels off the ground?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:25 PM
20%nitro

this is very similar to the method i use and has served me well for all my engines. the only thing i do different is run the engine just slightly rich until bout tank #10 (aprox 1250 cc) then it is on.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...eak-bible.html
Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 AM
20%nitro

was able to work on the kit today for a while. couple things i didnt like. the plastic washers on the side of the wing stay felt kinda gooey so i used some aluminum ones that i had insted. and i dont like the center diff mount at all. i hope someone makes a 2 pc mount soon so it is easier to change the diff oil. i did like the way the rubber bushings feel in the arms and i think they could last a long time. i wish the truck was 10-15 mm longer like the competitions are to give a good comparison. the battery box wont allow the 2700 mah aa hump i have and i am not ready to go lipo yet. guess i will get 1600 2/3a packs and swap them often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.