Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:13 AM
bmustang
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

The coupon is inside the Owner's Manual. You fill out the back with your name & address and your choice of offers and payment method if any. Also enclose a copy of your purchase receipt. Send it to the address indicated. Previous posters have reported being pleased with getting their receivers quickly, in about a week.

I placed my order Nov 4 with Tower and used a $60 discount ad #. It was shipped Dec 18 and arrived here Dec 22. I got my coupon into Dec 24th's mail. I guess I can be patient if it takes longer than a week for my extra receivers to arrive; no flyable weather in sight for the forseeable future anyway and by now coupons are probably starting to arrive at Hitec in larger numbers.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:10 AM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

The reality of getting a A9 at the best price is not good unless you've been on back-order for a couple of months.
Most of us are going to have to wait another 1 to 2 months to get a system. There is just to much demand for this radio.
If you dont mind paying more you can find them scattered here and there from different companies.
The last time I talked to TomsRC they were not expecting to get any more till Mid Jan to Late Jan and only a few units at that.
Ive got one on back order from TH and Im going to just sit tight. If I dont get something by Mid Feb then I might start looking elsewhere.
You guys who are getting them be sure and let us know what you think!!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 12:06 PM
GhostRider32

Woohoo. USPS dropped mine off 30 minutes ago. It is sweet. I paid an extra $30 over what I had ordered it at Tower but that's ok. I didn't want to wait another 1 to 2 months. So far, with just a few minutes of time, the radio is very easy to program and the gimbals are nice. Today I'm gonna go to the post office and send for my other receivers. I got mine from here: $429 shipped.

http://www.rcaircraftcomponents.com/...ry=38&result=1

They did an awesome on shipping mine out. They got the aurora shipment Wednesday morning and shipped mine out right after they received it. So travel time from Ohio to Texas was 4 days including Christmas.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:28 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the A9 with 9 channel rx. Tower states mid to late Jan. but that is okay as flying will be bad in my region until late March considering snow, rain, wind,etc. I'm focusing on some winter maintenance and building kits now.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:54 PM
flycolorado

Strangest thing... My LHS had an A9 on the shelf when I called to exchange the Futaba. I was a little miffed at the price until I found out I had just purchased a 9 chanel reciever (He spoiles us rotten with his low prices)!  $424
The battery seems itty-bitty for the jumbo-tron display! Looks like lipo is the only way to go. I've not had a Hitec transmitter before, anyone have any good suggestions on cycleing the battery through the charge port? My 8U required jumping out a diode, I can only assume we don't have to do that anymore, do I simply purchase a charge cord (or hack up the wall charger) for my Triton?

Here's what I brought home today

Old 12-26-2009, 04:05 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: flycolorado Strangest thing... My LHS had an A9 on the shelf when I called to exchange the Futaba. I was a little miffed at the price until I found out I had just purchased a 9 chanel reciever (He spoiles us rotten with his low prices)! $424 The battery seems itty-bitty for the jumbo-tron display! Looks like lipo is the only way to go. I've not had a Hitec transmitter before, anyone have any good suggestions on cycleing the battery through the charge port? My 8U required jumping out a diode, I can only assume we don't have to do that anymore, do I simply purchase a charge cord (or hack up the wall charger) for my Triton? Here's what I brought home today
There is a diode and it is not recommended diode is disabled. Diode is installed to protect both TX&user from any unforseen eventuality, even best chargers have been known known to fail.
Hitec Aurora, Eclipse, Flash, Optic, Prism series - Field and Fast Charging
further information on both batteries and charging available:
Aurora A9 Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips, (includes Spectra Pro and Optima RX features) . {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 12-26-2009, 04:26 PM
GhostRider32

Here is the Lipo I put in mine:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._20C_Lipo_Pack

I cut the stock battery wire about halfway and put JST connectors on both the stock battery and lipo so I can interchange them and charge one when it's low. I also put a JST connector on the other end of wire that plugs into the radio.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:37 PM
zero244

Flycolorado: You got lucky bro.........that's a pretty good price for the 9 channel.
By the way what was the difference in price between the A9 and 8FG.
My local Hobby Store.......if you want to call it local is 50 miles away.
I haven't even checked to see if they have a A9.
Keep us posted on your opinions.
Enjoy.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:06 PM
flycolorado

Thanks A.T. for the info. It's something I loved being able to do with my "modified" Futaba was to be able to just toss it on the ACE R/C Super Smart Charger or my Triton without having to open a door and remove a battery. I'll have to re-learn a few things it looks like ( I was expecting to have to learn a few things anyway).

Thanks Ghost Rider for the link and the tips.

zero244, You are right. I've been eying the A9 since I first read about it but used some serious restraint. I had no intentions of purchasing one especially a 9 channel receiver version. Strange how things work. I had to give the LHS about $34 to get the A9 over the 8FG. I set up my 120 sized YAK configured with 1 aileron servo per wing and 1 elevator servo per elevator. It took me no time at all and I was able to mix the dual elevators in a few heartbeats. It's awesome to be able to switch to the channel monitor screen and see what you actually just did without turning on the receiver. Now to go install a receiver in the Yak and see how well I did! By the way in the 17 minutes I've got on the "odometer" on this radio I've set the user name with my first name and home ph# (displays during power up and in the information menu), played with the power settings, went through the quick setup of a acro program, then modified it to work for my Yak (added 1 PMIX). SWEET!   [8D]

Old 12-26-2009, 05:55 PM
tomlee

I don't know why you think you will need a larger battery for your A9. I got mine on the 22nd, put on charge with the supplied charger, spent about 2hrs learning the programming and the radio has used less than 40% of the battery. I did not do any transmitting all the while I was setting up some airplanes.

If I decide to use a larger battery, an Eneloop 2000mh will do the trick with no mods to the radio.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:53 PM
flycolorado

Yak's done with about an hour of programing (rates, expo, throttle cut, timer, EPA (ATV), etc...) this includes the installation of the new receiver in the plane.  Does seem faster than my 8U, I did find something that I'm a little concerned with however, for lack of a better term the CG. It is way to the bottom of the transmitter. I fly with a neck strap and my Futaba hangs perfectly level. The A9 flips to about 45 degrees which means if I let the radio dangle from the strap it flips up to the point the sticks hit my gut. I'm not sure I care for that at all. I took the battery out to see if it helped (lipo would be lighter) but it made little difference. Hitec, Swap the switch and the neck strap mount and I'll be this will help. I must admit I liked the timer display on my 8U better. It was large (when you chose to display it) and I could simply lift my radio close to my line of sight to see how much time I had on the ticker. This timer is small and at the R/H side of the display, and by the way don't touch it during flight or it will reset!!! Futaba requires you to press 2 buttons to reset the timer. Certainly no show stoppers but I'll bet my first flight with the Yak will feel just like the maiden. The programming is simply wonderful, it's been fun adding my 1st plane to the radio, I'll try a heli in the near future and put it to the test.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:01 PM
flycolorado

At first I would agree with you, that is untli Istarted transmiting to play with my servos. My battery drained pretty quickly, I'm curretly at 1:10 on the timer and 60 percent of the battery is left on the meter. Ihave a 2200 NiMh in the 8U and I can fly 10 to 12 15 min flights plus tinkering.I don't mind charging my plane but Idon't care to charge my transmiter while at the field. A trip to the field with close monitoring will tell the tail. By the way, the receiver voltage on the display is WAYCOOL!!!

Old 12-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I'm still looking for 9 channel RX's....anyone know where any are in stock?
Old 12-26-2009, 08:25 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Not in stock tell mid. Jan.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:32 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using 2cell LiPo 2500mah Tx batteries for a couple of years. The charge lasts for a long time and if I use the Tx again a week or a month later, it will be at the same voltage it was the last time I flew. Even at 1C, it only takes an hour to charge. Even with Enyloop or A123 cells you are much better off than NiMh.

You have to experience it to appreciate it.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:15 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: flycolorado Yak's done with about an hour of programing (rates, expo, throttle cut, timer, EPA (ATV), etc...) this includes the installation of the new receiver in the plane. Does seem faster than my 8U, I did find something that I'm a little concerned with however, for lack of a better term the CG. It is way to the bottom of the transmitter. I fly with a neck strap and my Futaba hangs perfectly level. The A9 flips to about 45 degrees which means if I let the radio dangle from the strap it flips up to the point the sticks hit my gut. I'm not sure I care for that at all. I took the battery out to see if it helped (lipo would be lighter) but it made little difference. Hitec, Swap the switch and the neck strap mount and I'll be this will help. I must admit I liked the timer display on my 8U better. It was large (when you chose to display it) and I could simply lift my radio close to my line of sight to see how much time I had on the ticker. This timer is small and at the R/H side of the display, and by the way don't touch it during flight or it will reset!!! Futaba requires you to press 2 buttons to reset the timer. Certainly no show stoppers but I'll bet my first flight with the Yak will feel just like the maiden. The programming is simply wonderful, it's been fun adding my 1st plane to the radio, I'll try a heli in the near future and put it to the test.
Refer exisiting threads:
Aurora A9 Balance with Neck Strap
Aurora A - Countdown Timer does not switch/copy when changing models. Reset for each model, update pending. (a)
Aurora A - Countdown Timer workaround (b)
listed at
Aurora A9 Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips, (includes Spectra Pro and Optima RX features) . {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 PM
RR24

Canceled my order from Tower that should help some of you out. I am going to look elsewhere for it.

here are a couple of options: http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-HITEC-...item35a5ca91ef

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitec-Aurora-9-T...item3ca89019ab
Old 12-28-2009, 12:06 AM
chewytm

Mike,

I just bought and received (for a friend) a 2.4 Module and 2 Optima 7 rx from Hobbyborse.com. I am wondering what the rx battery alarm voltage is set to in the rx. How do I change it? It will be mounted on a Futaba 9C Super.

My friend will be using mainly nicad, but I will be using 2S LiFe type batts. How do we set the different warning level for the rx batts without the to-be-available-when-it-is-available display unit? Or can it be set with a USB computer interface? If so, where do we download the software?

chewy
Old 12-28-2009, 12:27 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: chewytm Mike, I just bought and received (for a friend) a 2.4 Module and 2 Optima 7 rx from Hobbyborse.com. I am wondering what the rx battery alarm voltage is set to in the rx. How do I change it? It will be mounted on a Futaba 9C Super. My friend will be using mainly nicad, but I will be using 2S LiFe type batts. How do we set the different warning level for the rx batts without the to-be-available-when-it-is-available display unit? Or can it be set with a USB computer interface? If so, where do we download the software? chewy
Aurora A9 Warning Alarms Battery types,voltage levels and consumption - withPower/Battery Management Screen Shots.
"Spectra 2.4 will recognize a receiver battery type automatically among 4 cell and 5 cell NiMH and 2 cell LiPo Battery. Red LED will blink fast. You will hear three continuous beeping sounds for low battery warning", not user adjustable at present.
as per Aurora A9 Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips, (includes Spectra Pro and Optima RX features) . {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 AM
chewytm

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: chewytm Mike, I just bought and received (for a friend) a 2.4 Module and 2 Optima 7 rx from Hobbyborse.com. I am wondering what the rx battery alarm voltage is set to in the rx. How do I change it? It will be mounted on a Futaba 9C Super. My friend will be using mainly nicad, but I will be using 2S LiFe type batts. How do we set the different warning level for the rx batts without the to-be-available-when-it-is-available display unit? Or can it be set with a USB computer interface? If so, where do we download the software? chewy
http://<u><font color=''#00265e''>Au...rms</font></u> Battery types, voltage levels and consumption - with Power/Battery Management Screen Shots.
''Spectra 2.4 will recognize a receiver battery type automatically among 4 cell and 5 cell NiMH and 2 cell LiPo Battery. Red LED will blink fast. You will hear three continuous beeping sounds for low battery warning'', not user adjustable at present.
as per Aurora A9 Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips, (includes Spectra Pro and Optima RX features) . {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.

But nothing for 2S A123 batts at 6.6V? I think A123 batts are quite common nowadays as they don't require regulators with most 6V capable servos. Will anything be done about that?

chewy
Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 AM
avronaut

ORIGINAL: chewytm

http://<u><font color=''#00265e''>Au...rms</font></u> Battery types, voltage levels and consumption - with Power/Battery Management Screen Shots.
''Spectra 2.4 will recognize a receiver battery type automatically among 4 cell and 5 cell NiMH and 2 cell LiPo Battery. Red LED will blink fast. You will hear three continuous beeping sounds for low battery warning'', not user adjustable at present.

Regards
Alan T.

But nothing for 2S A123 batts at 6.6V? I think A123 batts are quite common nowadays as they don't require regulators with most 6V capable servos. Will anything be done about that?

chewy

Which A123 are you thinking about? The 18650 has only 1,1Ah and the 26650 will not fit into the battery case.

Uli
Old 12-28-2009, 03:12 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: chewytm But nothing for 2S A123 batts at 6.6V? I think A123 batts are quite common nowadays as they don't require regulators with most 6V capable servos. Will anything be done about that? chewy
Unfortunately there are to many different types of cells refered to as A123 with different voltages and cut offs which is why it is hard to find good chargers and few if any on board voltage displays. I believe the engineers are trying to work on an answer but it could be a while.
Just two examples of cut off / loaded voltage measurement problems,regarding A123,availableon the net:
A123 Battery FAQ for Giant Scale and IMAC
"Here’s the biggest issue.. load testing. The beasties just don’t react like we expect.. a 1 amp load for 10 seconds will convince somebody not familiar with them that there’s something wrong with the load tester.. the needle won’t sag! I’ve even had guys start melting switch ports and connector housings trying to get enough load on the pack to use an ESV in the tried and true sense. Just doesn’t work. Because of the incredibly flat discharge curve and the ability of the cell to hold voltage while doing 'heavy lifting', using a standing voltage level under load to decide when to recharge can lead to a disaster because when the cells go flat they do so remarkably fast. So, we go to the next question.."
A123 battery Information - SinCity Jets.
"The battery's only downside is that you can not tell how much energy is left in the pack by reading the voltage. Because the discharge curve of the pack is so flat, the voltage will be almost the same throught its cycle, and then "cliff dive" at the end of its cycle. Because of this, it is important to become familiar with how much energy your vehicle uses during each use. For planes, I advise people to fully charge their batteries and then fly 2-3 flights. Then, fully charge the packs again and see how much energy (Mah) you put back in to the packs. Then simply divide the amount of energy by the number of flights and come up with your average Mah per flight. This will allow you to set your safe cut-off. It is advisable to only use 1800-2000 of the pack's 2300 Mah's. "

Regards
Alan T.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 AM
chewytm

ORIGINAL: avronaut

Regards
Alan T.

chewy

Which A123 are you thinking about? The 18650 has only 1,1Ah and the 26650 will not fit into the battery case.

Uli
I am talking about rx packs, not for the tx.

chewy
Old 12-28-2009, 04:21 AM
chewytm

ORIGINAL: chewytm But nothing for 2S A123 batts at 6.6V? I think A123 batts are quite common nowadays as they don't require regulators with most 6V capable servos. Will anything be done about that? chewy
Unfortunately there are to many different types of cells refered to as A123 with different voltages and cut offs which is why it is hard to find good chargers and few if any on board voltage displays. I believe the engineers are trying to work on an answer but it could be a while.
Just two examples of cut off / loaded voltage measurement problems, regarding A123, available on the net:
A123 Battery FAQ for Giant Scale and IMAC
''Here’s the biggest issue.. load testing. The beasties just don’t react like we expect.. a 1 amp load for 10 seconds will convince somebody not familiar with them that there’s something wrong with the load tester.. the needle won’t sag! I’ve even had guys start melting switch ports and connector housings trying to get enough load on the pack to use an ESV in the tried and true sense. Just doesn’t work. Because of the incredibly flat discharge curve and the ability of the cell to hold voltage while doing 'heavy lifting', using a standing voltage level under load to decide when to recharge can lead to a disaster because when the cells go flat they do so remarkably fast. So, we go to the next question..''
A123 battery Information - Sin City Jets.
''The battery's only downside is that you can not tell how much energy is left in the pack by reading the voltage. Because the discharge curve of the pack is so flat, the voltage will be almost the same throught its cycle, and then ''cliff dive'' at the end of its cycle. Because of this, it is important to become familiar with how much energy your vehicle uses during each use. For planes, I advise people to fully charge their batteries and then fly 2-3 flights. Then, fully charge the packs again and see how much energy (Mah) you put back in to the packs. Then simply divide the amount of energy by the number of flights and come up with your average Mah per flight. This will allow you to set your safe cut-off. It is advisable to only use 1800-2000 of the pack's 2300 Mah's. ''

Regards
Alan T.

Thanks for the reminder. I knew about the cliff-dive, but it slipped my mind. So far, I have flown my glow planes for 2 weeks and then recharge at 2C using 1100mAH 2S A123 packs. The charge usually takes about 10 minutes at 2C. I guess my setup uses minimal juice. As for my 80" span TWM Mitsubishi Zero, I have 2x 2300mAH packs for the main supply and a separate 1100mAH pack for the ignition. Should be good to go for the full day's flying of at least 5 flights.

I have crashed glow models that were using NiMH due to power dips, and that's why I moved to A123. So far no problem yet. Touch wood.

chewy
Old 12-28-2009, 04:57 AM
avronaut

ORIGINAL: avronaut

Regards
Alan T.

chewy

Uli
I am talking about rx packs, not for the tx.

chewy

I see. The USB Interface HPP-22 will offer variable Voltage settings for warning purposes.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/tester/hpp_22.html

Uli

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.