Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

why a cub?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 PM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: why a cub?

Last one ,, The ending is pretty cool

Tim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkCVybT9w0Q

Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BradSD

I actually learned to fly on a Goldberg Cub, I had it about 4 years or so before it was shot down. I always enjoyed flying this plane.
I took home a wreck that was left at our field in November. I did some research and found it to be a Goldberg Anniversary Cub. I rebuilt the entire front end and tail, along with some fuse repairs, A new cowl, windshield, and soldered up some landing gear, and recovering. I still have to rebuild the wing, but soon I'll have two average/boring Cubs !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16272.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	1343167  
Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 PM
CKLLOYD

I HAVE A GOLDBERG CUB IT IS LOTS OF FUN TO FLY. AND YES I SAID FUN TO FLY NOT A PLANE THAT YOU HAD TO FLY BUT A PLANE THAT YOU LOVE TO FLY. IF YOU WERE OUT AT THE FIELD AND THIS PLANE WAS UP IN THE AIR YOU COULD JUST HAND OFF THE TRANSMITTER TO A FELLOW FLYER AND NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.. THIS IS A GREAT PLANE IF YOU WANT TO ROLL IT, LOOP IT OR FLY IT INVERTED YOU CAN. AND IF ITS DEAD STICK STILL NO WORRY. I HAVE FLOWN THE REAL THING FULL SIZE WITH A HALF PROP.. THIS IS A PROP WITH JUST ONE BLADE AND A COUNTER WIGHT ON THE OTHER SIDE.. THIS WAS USED FOR PRE WAR FLYING SCHOOLS AND ARE VERY RARE TODAY. I MADE ONE FOR MY CUB AND WHEN I AM OUT AT THE FLYING FIELD THE OLD PLANE SURE GETS A LOT OF COMMENTS. GOT TO LOVE THE OLD PLANES AND THE CUB IS STILL ONE THAT PEOPLE WILL LOVE FOREVER
Old 12-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

because people cant fly worth a damn and are wetting themselves over 3d aerobatics and planes like the cap 232.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:19 PM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: 1fasthitman

Can anyone explain to me why the Piper Cub is so popular? I've always found it to be boring and trainer like. And that yellow color.....yuck! No offense, but I was just curious.
The Cub is one of a few true icons of aviation. When the Smithsonian's new Udvar-Hazy Center opened in 2003, the first artifact moved into place was...

Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 PM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: 1fasthitman

Can anyone explain to me why the Piper Cub is so popular? I've always found it to be boring and trainer like. And that yellow color.....yuck! No offense, but I was just curious.

I was out of the Hobby for 20 years or more. This is the
what I built upon my return,

Bob

Name:	Rp44754.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1343230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92243.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1343231  
Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes me feel good that the Cub was the first at Udvar-Hazy. It deserved it.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:46 AM
airplanenut1
My Feedback: (19)

u know at one time i asked the same ? whats so good about a cub my cousin/RC instructor always talked about the many he had it's just an all out fun airplane to fly especially if u kit bash the plane give it a bit more throw all around and if ur like me and love a bit of extra power toss an OS 120 twin on the front of a 40 size cub move the elevator and rudder servos in the tail to balance the plane and with duel rates u can have a tame scale like plane (flaps are fun too) then flip the switch and with my cub at least i could do knife edge flight, 4 point rolls, beautiful stall turns, flatspins u name i i've done it with my cub i'll always have one in my hanger just be sure of ur airframe i made my struts functional and sealed my hinge lines to stop flutter and nice tight linkages i can do full power dives and i haven't heard any flutter yet and be sure to use carbon fiber rod to link the elevator halves together and i also have pics somewhere of that cub from the Udvar-Hazy
Old 12-28-2009, 01:49 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I was one of those guys who would never, never, ever own a cub......

Then Hanger 9 came out with their first 80" cub..something hit me like a ton of bricks - I had to have one. Got it, put hours and hours and hours on it..wore out three pairs of tires doing touch and goes (on grass!) It is indeed difficult to fly well. The highest compliment anyone can pay you is "Gee, that looked like a real plane up there!! ....and the cub has been on the receiving end of that comment many. many times.

Anyone can yank and bank and fly fast.....it takes a darn sight more skill to fly slowly and realistically. Nail that, and the cub makes you look good - but you got to work at it and earn it. The payback in satisfaction is enormous. I've flown lots of over powered, thick wing lightly loaded aerobatic types that can do anything.....they just don't offer any satisfaction. You just stir the sticks, then land when you get low on fuel. You have an empty feeling after the flight because, nothing really happened. The plane flip flopped through the air and made some noise...ho hum.....

Not so with a cub. You side slip it down, flair, grease the main wheels on, and hold the tail up til it is almost stopped and you know you have accomplished something (then you take off and try to do it even better next time!!)

Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 AM
airplanenut1

and as far as color who said it had to be yellow
Old 12-28-2009, 02:07 AM
airplanenut1

last 4th of july (sunshine and 25 mph winds) i took my cub out a couple of my relatives brought out some sport 40 size airplanes they said
that i brought the wrong plane and it wouldn't be that good in the high wind i said we'll see, the only runway we had (a dirt road) was 90 degrees to the wind the sport planes had no problem taking off but come time to land and neither of them came back in one piece(thank god for ARF's) with the cub i was able to take off into the wind even though the road was only i'm guessing 25ish feet wide landing wasen't a problem either drop the flaps and u can float like a kite and land at a walking pace which is load's of fun
Old 12-28-2009, 06:24 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly flew my Cub in all kinds of wind. The most fun was when I could just point it into the wind and basically hover in place until I'd add some rudder to drop it off into a mild spin...only to recover and come back again into the wind.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:47 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I am not especially fond of Cubs but I have to agree that they will teach you to use rudder. They also are really great on floats.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 AM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

And a 40-sized Cub with a 40-sized engine will force you to learn how to ''fly on the wing'' which is what good flying is all about anyway. And if you roll a Cub, you've really accomplished something.
Very true and I love my Cub, even if it's yellow.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 AM
[]TEX[]

Is that the GP ARF?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:21 AM
phatbob02

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

Is that the GP ARF?
It's a Carl Goldberg Anniversary stick kit that was crashed and left at my club field as trash.
I needed another plane like a hole in the head but I brought it home and rebuilt it. I'm still working on the wing.

I have the old H9 HAN1500 Cub and wanted to do this one a bit different.
I found this pic of a Cub stationed in England.

Name:	Ge94309.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1343495  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 AM
phatbob02

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

And a 40-sized Cub with a 40-sized engine will force you to learn how to ''fly on the wing'' which is what good flying is all about anyway. And if you roll a Cub, you've really accomplished something.
Very true and I love my Cub, even if it's yellow.
Yellow is beautiful on a blue sky!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 AM
bent

I recently stumbled across this 50 year old picture in one of my mother's photo albums. I don't know if it was love at first sight but there are 4 quarter scale Cubs in my garage at this moment.

Name:	Lj22070.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1343509  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Jim Dross

My Sig 1/4 scale Cub is 26 years old has gone through 5 radios and 3 engines. Wore out a ST 2500 and Saito 120 now in its 2nd Saito 120. Still in its original skin and paint. This plane will do nice looking rolling circles. I am currently building a 1/3 scale B-Usa J-3 to enjoy too. When I take one of my warbirds to the field I also take the Cub.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:56 AM
scflyboy

The Model T of Airplanes. First flight in 1938. What history. I have a H9 80" and what a true test of scale like flying. We are very lucky in that we get to go to Tripple Tree (Joe Nall location) and experience Pat Hartness' Cub. What an airplane.

Gary, what a great picture!!!!!

Brad
Old 12-28-2009, 10:04 AM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: phatbob02

Is that the GP ARF?
It's a Carl Goldberg Anniversary stick kit that was crashed and left at my club field as trash.
I needed another plane like a hole in the head but I brought it home and rebuilt it. I'm still working on the wing.

I have always hated the landing gear on the GP Cub, I wonder if the Hangar 9 wire strut kit would work. Looks like you have one in the shop. Have you tried using it or could you post some dimensions?

I basically need mounting width.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 AM
alangranvue
My Feedback: (11)

I just flew my new Model Tech Super Cub 81" this past weekend for the first time. She is powered with an OS FS-70 Surpass 2.  I almost lost her on the first approach[] but luckily I didn't.  I thought it would be very easy to fly and let me say, IT FLIES NOTHING LIKE ANY OTHER AIRPLANE.   At first I was unsure if I made the right decision on buying it but I got a few tips from a guy that owns a full scale cub that was watching me fly. I flew it several more times and once I got the hang of it I LOVE IT NOW! I never thought I would enjoy just doing touch and go's but I did it for a solid 15 minutes during 2 flights. I see myself getting a 1/4 or a 1/3 really soon....
Old 12-28-2009, 10:29 AM
phatbob02

ORIGINAL: phatbob02

Is that the GP ARF?

I have always hated the landing gear on the GP Cub, I wonder if the Hangar 9 wire strut kit would work. Looks like you have one in the shop. Have you tried using it or could you post some dimensions?

I basically need mounting width.

I replaced the aluminum gear on my H9 with these. I bought 2 sets from My Atomic.
The mount width is 5 3/4" in the front and 5 1/2" in the rear.
They wouldn't fit the Goldberg so I made my own. Not perfect but OK.

Name:	Fd91157.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1343548  
Old 12-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Mode One

Like the Cub, don't like the Cub, it's about choice. Although I like J-3 Cubs, I also like the Aeronca Champ and Stinson line, as well as the rest of the rag covered high winged Piper line-up. We have a guy who hates the Cub in our club, also. To each, his own! What ever, it's about enjoying yourself. If that don't include Cubs, so be it!!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Fs one

I myself do not care for the cub.First off i do not recommend this model to be your first trainer.Get one with tricycle gear.Is fine for first tail dragger after trained on tricycle gear.Besides i do not wish to have a plane that almost everybody has.Keep smiling keep flying.

Fs One

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.