Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Corsair tendencies.. troubleshooting!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 Corsair tendencies.. troubleshooting!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Flyboyxc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Corsair tendencies.. troubleshooting!!!

Hello all :]

For the past few days I have really been wanting the H9 Corsair, but am skeptical sometimes while reading some RCU posts about this aircraft... I have been flying for about 4 months and am somewhat of a natural (not to brag, but from what I understand this warbird is somewhat difficult to fly)... thats what I am really interested in. WHAT ARE THE CORSAIR'S TENDENCIES THAT I MAY ENCOUNTER?

I also would like to know if the spare ASP .91 4 stroke I have will fly the bird nicely? I know that this aircraft is shorter in the nose so I am guessing the added weight up front will help..?

Do the stock retracts hold up well?

I appreciate your input :]
Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Corsair tendencies.. troubleshooting!!!

You are a natural at flying what? There are just some things that take time to learn. An aircraft like the Corsair will have to be flown all the way to the ground and will have to have the landing speed kept up from what a trainer would be like. I am sure the H9 Corsair is very easy to land though so after you have become proficient with a low wing aircraft you should not have trouble. The biggest thing with Warbirds, is the rudder control on takeoff. If the plane starts veering off to the left, then pilots have a tendency to yank them off of the ground before they are ready to fly, resulting in a stall and then a wing dropping and a crash.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Flyboyxc

Well I mean natural by the fact that I never flew a trainer, I learned to fly by watching people at my local R/C field and my first plane was a H9 T-34 Mentor (low wing warbird) that I still fly today! I do land hot which may help me fly the corsair from what your input has been. Thank you for your help. Do you know anything about the quality of the retracts or if my ASP .91 will do nicely?
Old 12-21-2009, 02:28 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the rotating retracts in the H-9 corsair are fair to poor IMO the actual gear is not that bad but require periodic adjustment to keep them operating properly, they work well enough, but the strut wires are a bit wobbly they like a nice smooth landing on a smooth surface.

you should do a search on the plane there are several multi page threads on this plane building modifications including retract installation(aftermarket) engine recommendations and areas where structural reenforcements help strengthen the plane in a few weak spots.

a ASP 91 will have loads of power the plane is pretty light I have a OS 91 4stroke for mine
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly the H9 P-40. With some mods I was able to get the weight down to 7lbs 10oz. Like was said, the gear is only ok at that weight. Any heavier and it would probably not hold up. It does require a lot of adjusting. The first 3 years took a lot of adjusting, about every 5 flights. Now its a few times a year. I just got the H9 Hellcat and I'll do the same for it. Another guy bought sierra retracts for his. H9 warbirds dont really fly like the typical warbirds. They float pretty good, more like a trainer that looks a little like a warbird. Its fairly tippy on the gear and want to nose over so you'll have to stay on the elevator to balance it while taking off and landing. Bleed off speed after the landing, turning too soon can cause some skipping and jumping. The main problem I had with the retracts was a little tow-in that was pre-setup. I had to take that out so the wheels would roll straight. Anything but straight and the struts would wobble and make the plane chicken hop down the runway. This is just my opinion and experience.
Edwin
Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

To answer your questions, the H-9 Corsair or Hellcat, or AT-6 are not hard to fly. I've had all three. The Corsair is a floater and the 91 4-stroke is plenty of engine. They (taildragger warbirds) are different not difficult. They require a different technique and can't be horsed around like a sport plane. The rudder has to used on takeoff or as has already been mentioned they will roll to the left and cartwheel.
The stock retracts won't last long. When you try to adjust the looseness out of them your moving the strut back under the wing which makes them have more of a tendency to nose over. You will need spares as you progress thru the learning curve.
Don't be scared of them, they fly good, and leave a big smile on your face that can't be wiped off.
Fred
Old 12-26-2009, 01:51 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Why do most continue to bash H9 retracts? I have the p-40 and the corsair, and spitfire and yet to have any problems w the retracts or noseing over. Our field has a dirt runway and the retracts on all my planes are holding up. One common mistake w these retracts is putting "toe in" The H9 rotating retracts use a turnbuckle and it when pressure is put on them it is optimal to pull on the link and not push. I have the H9 rotating on my BH p-40 and my CMP P-40 and they give me no probs. All the hangar 9 warbirds are fliers.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:43 PM
bigtim

I didn't have many problems with the gear mech other than the slop needed to be a adjusted out every 5-10 flights or so, but the strut legs are pretty weak and floppy.

I bent mine on my P-40 a couple of times,I pulled the retracts out of the plane, and after bending them back I heat treated them, and they were much better.

I eventually replaced them with LADO gear and struts, which I also have a set for my Corsair, LADO is having there own set of issues, but there great if you can get a set,hopefully they get there problems sorted because the gear is top notch for this size plane.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:40 PM
CGAV8R

The H9 Corsair is a nice flyer, lands slow and easy. Your engine will be good for it. The one I flew has a Saito 100 in it. I say go for it
Almost all of the Corsairs I have flown have a "tail wag" when coming out of a turn, don't worry, it's normal and not a big deal. Other than that they fly great.

Aaron D.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Flyboyxc

I am really excited about this plane now. I just heard from the gentleman I bought my ASP .91 from and its being shipped right now and will be here by Tuesday! The retracts still worry me slightly, but it won't get me down, I'm gonna fly her all day and if she has a problem I sure know everyone at the field will be up my tail about wanting to help fix it anyway haha, talk about enthusiasts

I really do want to have a nice gear on her though, I think it would add to some scale, and of course more reliability. However, I am not willing to pay over 200 dollars or so for an upgraded pair of retracts especially considering that the plane only cost about 265 dollars! Anyone have any suggestions about what retracts would improve reliability and realism without breaking my wallet? By the way I am only 18, my income isn't too great right now haha.. school makes sure I dont work too much, but thats ok.

thanks guys.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:10 AM
bigtim

just about any good quality retracts are going to get you in the wallet for 200$ or more, there a pretty involved little mech, esspecially the rotating type for P-40's and Corsairs.

even with a tower discount they will be over that for century jet,Robart, or LADO electrics if they can get there act together, unfortunitely there having trouble filling orders but when and if your ready they might have there issues sorted out,I hope so because I need a set for my Top Flight P-40[8D].

I wouldn't worry too much about the stock ones there fine, you will need a retract servo though that will set you back between 30-50$ for the stock gear.

the 91 will really drag it around the sky, mabee a little over powered even,definitely add some thinned epoxy to the fuel tank area, and full strength at the firewall to insure its plenty strong, and check all exposed glue joints and apply some CA if you think there's any chance of a weak area in the fuse as well as the wing bend.

I would do a search on this plane, and read through the thread, I think its started by Corsair jock, its quite long but it's full of really usefull information,there is also a newer thread started by juice about doing mods that is cool as well.

like I posted earlier mine will have a OS91 4stroke plenty of power for this light warbird.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: predman
Why do most continue to bash H9 retracts? ........................
I have yet to see anyone 'bashing' the h9 retracts in this thread yet. But then, I quess that all depends on one's interpretation of 'bashing'. To me, 'bashing' them would be calling them junk/ useless.
I happen to agree with bigtim's assessment:
ORIGINAL: bigtim
the rotating retracts in the H-9 corsair are fair to poor IMO the actual gear is not that bad but require periodic adjustment to keep them operating properly, they work well enough, but the strut wires are a bit wobbly they like a nice smooth landing on a smooth surface....................
I have owned and clown a H9 Corsair for 5 years now. The 1st 4 years, I managed to get by with the stock retracts, but they were extremely wobbly (you should have seen it at the 2008 Mint Julep, while I tried to taxi it with a strong crosswind). 5/32" diameter struts are just not robust enough for a '60 size warbird.
But while they proved to be adquate, they were far being what these warbirds really deserve.
a year ago, I installed a set of Lados, and euipped them with titanium strut wires and Robart RoboStruts. Expensive? Yes, but worth it because now my prized Corsair tracks so much better, and lands smoother.

Call it bashing if you want, I call it being truthful. The H-9 retracts are adequate, but they leave MOST of us wanting more/ something better.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:56 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I have always removed my H9 retracts and just dropped in a pair of CJs because I simply liked them . In addition I was able to easily sell the mechanicals that come with the kit .
I have new H9 corsair waiting for me to build , wondering since I have the robart struts , should I go with the mechanical and simply add the struts ?
I fly off what appears to be a grass field that was hit by a metior storm lol
Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
spitfire60
My Feedback: (1)

FLYBOYXC

The retract are Bad-the plane likes to nose over all the time except with a PERFECT landing and conditions
I worked all summer with a good flier on his H9 corsair he finally put Lado Retracts in shimmed them to move
the wheels forward and finally it landed good almost alway. we fly on grassnice field short grass very long .
his had os 91fs in the air flies great very lite for warbird floats in -this was good and bad hard to settle in
doesn't sink -slow it up enough to sink and it stalls add throttle and it is flying again . Hard to settle into nice
even glide slope.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Informative Thread! Thanks.

I haven't been able to assemble my H9 Corsair because I have no extra time to do so. [&o]

I have, however, started the new scheme I'm using. Eventually I'll finish the wings and cowling. May purchase a fiberglass one rather than spend time changing this one. Not a bad idea.

Here's my scheme Thread for those interested. Nice photo of someone's great model.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8462647

Thanks,

Charles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55065.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1344402