Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

My First Nitro Cat Build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

My First Nitro Cat Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Jasontc31
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Nitro Cat Build

This is my first nitro cat build. I have a modded OS18TZ in it. Hoping for 40 MPH out of it. If the 18 cant do it I have a heavily modded Novarossi 28 that will. I am waiting on a few parts. Hoping to get it wet in about a week. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vs55605.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	1343123   Click image for larger version

Name:	us55289.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	1343124   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca81548.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	1343125  
Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 PM
wave waker

Default RE: My First Nitro Cat Build

nice looking cat,,what's the spec. of the hull?...might be hard to push 40's with .18 motor, what make me said that because .18 can't turn bigger prop,,,i'l bet .28 nr will do a great job,,,heard that motor is hot...keep us update..
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Jasontc31

The hull is 29 inches.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It would be interesting to see it run as the CG may be too far back. The fuel tank should be up under the deck and the engine where the tank is sitting at. That would allow you to move the radio box up so that it would be easier to tape the lid on. The tuned pipe is on the long side also.
Yeah, the NR .28 will get it to scary fast pucker your butt speeds.
Is that one of Frank's hulls off eBay? It looks like a small Falcon 41.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 AM
advanced builder

That pipe if that's one of Franks, It's a waste of money, they don't work. Got 2 of his here, in the junk pile. I was going to pull all the junk out of the inside of them .A NIB cooper pipe is next to the 2 duds.
+

Name:	Xv63858.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	1343497  
Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 AM
toyotatruckin

I have two of the above cat hulls here, they are franks, bottom has a drop channel to lower the CG kind of like the insane genII nice boats really BUT in my opinion the .18 even a hot one will be to small for the hull considering its much larger than an aeromarine sprint or mean machine closer to a TC31 its 29x about 12 3/4 and the one I just weighed is pushing 3 1/2lbs empty
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Jasontc31

Hey Guys, The boat is setup at 33% cg. What should it be set at? Did I do it wrong? I had this motor in my Vegas and it ripped. Can you tell me what the balance point should be at. Thanks
Old 12-28-2009, 09:20 PM
toyotatruckin

since its already there try it out, take some lead tire weights (go to tire repair shop and ask for them,is cheaper) with you when you go run, would be my guess 28% from the transom if you get a larger motor with more power you will want it further forward BUT this all can vary with each set-up and is part of tuning your boat to run at its best, again try it where it is since it is already there adjust with the weights and move things if needed,, might add that if your fuel is forward the CG and that 33% is without fuel you may find it to heavy up front till it runs out-again all part of tuning!! hope this helps you out a bit
Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Jasontc31

Thanks for all the replies. Ron, I checked my CG twice since your responce. It is set at 33% with no fuel. I cannot get the boat any lower CG without adding weight to the rear. I have the motor, radio, and fuel tank as far back as possible. If I move the motor or fuel tank forward my CG will move closer to 40%. Please correst me if I a looking at this wrong. Toyotatruckin,You said that you have 2 of these boats? What motors are you running? Can you post pics? I think I will have to add weight to the rear to get the CG closer to 30%. Should the CG be 30% with or without fuel? I will probably end up installing my Novarossi modded 528 but I first want to see the modded OS18TZ run. I ran this motor in my Miss Vegas and it ran FAST. Please know that I am not questioning anyones replies, I am mearly making sure that I am understanding how to setup this boat. Thanks for everything.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 AM
toyotatruckin

Im not running one I have two hulls though bare , it doesnt really fit into a class well it could but it wouldnt hold a candle to the 21's even with a hot one in it and i believe a 45 may be a bit to much in race water
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
advanced builder

I didn't see the transom setup, trim tabs. will add some much needed weight in the back end.I have one of Franks boats also. I have changed the setup a few times My newest is making a brass fuel tank I put it behind the radio box..If you can get 29% from transom with fuel that's the best. I may ditch the radio box altogether, seal my servos & bag my receiver inside a balloon Mount my servos on a tray. My boat cover my need a little tape on the outside. for a good watertight seal.

Name:	Ig13770.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1344777  
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM
cyclesoul

I have a TZ18 in a 32" cat, but mine weighs a bit over 2 kilo's complete! It pulls a 437 3 blader right to the redline, as well as a 440 2 blade., I dont know how fast (no gps) but I reckon its cracking 40mph. depending on weight I dont see why you couldnt get the TZ up there in speed, how much did your vegas weigh complete??

Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 PM
wave waker

[quote]ORIGINAL: cyclesoul

I have a TZ18 in a 32'' cat, but mine weighs a bit over 2 kilo's complete! It pulls a 437 3 blader right to the redline, as well as a 440 2 blade., I dont know how fast (no gps) but I reckon its cracking 40mph. depending on weight I dont see why you couldnt get the TZ up there in speed, how much did your vegas weigh complete??

nice boat, can u tell us more bout the pipe and header? kinda interesting to know...
Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 PM
cyclesoul

Built this boat a couple years ago from when the hull first appeared on ebay. pipe n header were a a bit of a struggle to fit in my boat because of the tight confines of the hull and small hatch, a side exhaust motor would be tonnes better :P. After I recommended making the hatch 1 inch larger all around you can now buy the hulls like this on ebay Do!H! I couldnt run a normal header without the pipe pointing up 45 degrees to avoid the radio box and I could only fit a 2.5 pipe down the side of the hull. So I cut the header in half and jointed it with couplers and a bit of aluminium pipe to get it all to fit. It does take a while to get up on pipe with it this long, but it hits hard once on it . The TZ is a strong motor and its a light boat, fine for play! I will be experimenting with a different set up this summer, shortening the pipe n a few other things, will see how it goes
Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 AM
advanced builder

I love the look of the hull, that hatch cover is real SMALL [:@]. The header is long, 7 1/2 -8" to fat of tuning pipe. Try another header
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAZ8&P=0