Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Although it's not the GP Super SB as many have here, it's a Skybolt none the less. Only 2 flights so far and a real blast to fly. I built this from Sig plans a few years back, couldn't find the kit, so I scratched it. Alas, I have been bitten by the SB bug. I scored a NIB Great Planes Super SB kit on ebay and another Sig kit for a backup. Nice lines-those Skybolts
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38768.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1311425  
Old 11-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Zor
Banned

Hello yel914,

WOW _ _ _ a super good looking model.

You can be real proud of your achievement.
While mine is appearing all white and red looking at the top, the bottom is all white and blue with the same basic shade of medium blue as you have.

Which engine do you have installed ?

I notice you have installed flying wires on the tail surfaces. I also have done that.
I also installed flying wires between the wings in the same pattern as the full size.

They are actually working wires; not only for appearance. They are 0.030" dia stainless steel and insntalled such that each wire is length (tension) adjustable.

I guess you have seen some pics of my Skybolt earlier in the hangar.

I could post some more if needed.

That Skybolt sure has the looks and does not appear to have been shrunk like some other similar aerobatic planes

Thanks for your posting that beautiful model.

Anyone else out there with a Skybolt?

Zor

Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
yel914

Zor, Thanks for the praise. I'm proud of it for sure. It hung in a LHS for about 2 years until my club mates bugged me enough to go fly it. Power is an ST .61 with a Pitts muffler. Power is just about right..but I have this .75 you see...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: yel914

Zor, Thanks for the praise. I'm proud of it for sure. It hung in a LHS for about 2 years until my club mates bugged me enough to go fly it. Power is an ST .61 with a Pitts muffler. Power is just about right..but I have this .75 you see...
Hello Chris and guys,

I do not often come in RC Universe but I wished to pass along my best wishes of the season.

Wishing all a Very Merry Christmas

and a Healthy and properous New Year 2010

Zor
Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 PM
biplanemurphy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: yel914

Hello Chris and guys,

I do not often come in RC Universe but I wished to pass along my best wishes of the season.

Wishing all a Very Merry Christmas

and a Healthy and properous New Year 2010

Zor
Hi Zor,

Merry Christmas to you too!!
And Merry Christmas to all of you fellow Skybolt Fans!!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:59 PM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

Merry Christmas to everyone. Wish you the best and a Happy New Year.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: thisoldman

Merry Christmas to everyone. Wish you the best and a Happy New Year.
U 2 Al
Old 12-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Jaybird

I'm hoping to start one this winter. I picked up a boxed kit from an estate sale about five years ago and other projects kept jumping the line. I think it's time to give kit building another try. My father partially built a kit many years ago to the point of having everything framed up but then stopped working on it. I think it went out to Michigan with my brother and I've never seen it again. The center wire cabane mount looked a little complicated and I assume this kit is designed the same way. My father is 87 and has decided to stop building so my brother and I divided up his wealth of tools and parts so my tool box has some great items in it now. I'm looking forward to the build and will review this thread for any interesting tidbits and "gotchas" that might be hiding in the box. Not sure what I will power it with as I don't have any engines not already mounted to an airframe.

Jaybird
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Zor
Banned

Hello Jaybird and best wishes for the New Year,

It would be nice to follow your build in this thread.
You may have seen my Skybolt in previous postings.

Engine wise these days gas is much worth considering.
I first installed a Super Tiger G90 and switched to a Saito 125 which is in it now.
I am considering switching again for a Saito FG 20 which appears to be the same as a 125 but with spark plug and ignition for gas operation.

I certainly will continue to follow this thread for your postings.

Which kit do you have ?
Great Pains or Sig ?

Zor
Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Jaybird

Greetings Zor,

Thanks for the motor suggestions, I'll keep them in mind as I look for a power plant.

It's the old Great Planes kit. Some of the balsa is showing it's age, so i'll have to pick my way through and replace any that looks suspiscious. I haven't done anything but paw through the box at this point, although I did buy a Fiberglass Specialties replacement fiberglass cowl a while ago when I needed a replacement cowl for my old Carl Goldberg Extra 300 and Midwest Super Stearman. I've never sheeted any surfaces before so I'm worried about getting that process right.

Happy New year!

Jaybird
Old 12-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Jaybird

Well, I opened up the box for the first time in a long time and took a close look and some pictures. The catalog included in the box is dated 1992! The canopy still has the tissue paper cover and all the pieces are in their original placement in the box. I've included a picture of the kit 2-piece cowl and the new fiberglass one. Started reading through the manual and I'm curious about the multi-piece sheeting for the tail surfaces. Would it be better to pick up some wider single sheets at the hobby shop or do the joints provide some added strength to the sheeting and fins?

The upper wing retainer clip looks rather flimsy and I suspect others have found a better way of doing it...I'll take a look through the thread unless someone has a quick fix.

I hope to get started this weekend.

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25426.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1345673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34893.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1345674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18193.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1345675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22659.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1345676  
Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Jaybird
Would it be better to pick up some wider single sheets at the hobby shop or do the joints provide some added strength to the sheeting and fins?

The upper wing retainer clip looks rather flimsy and I suspect others have found a better way of doing it...I'll take a look through the thread unless someone has a quick fix.
Just edge join the 3" sheets, no need to buy wider ones. The wing clip works fine. All it does is keep the top wing from moving forward, and that's not a direction the wing wants to move in anyway. If there was one thing I would recommend it would be to soak the fuse sides after putting the doublers in, and bend them around something like a coffee can that approximates the shape of the firewall and front formers. If you don't it's a real PITA to glue the fuse sides to the firewall and formers.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Jaybird

Thanks for the information. I was just going through this thread and saw several posts referring to forming the fuse sides and getting the cockpit floor to fit.

What's the best glue for sheet edge joining with? I assume that the CyA glues will create a hard ridge at the joint and make them hard to sand smooth. I saw a good article a while back on sheeting techniques but I can't find it again.

Jaybird
Old 12-31-2009, 01:46 PM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

i use aliphatic resin.. can get at any hard ware store. or elmers wood glue work fine.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Zor
Banned

Now why did this post all in red color?
I will try to change it to normal black.

Hello Jaybird and all viewers,

Passing by
Wishing all a Healthy, posperous and Happy New Year 2010

Jaybird,

You have the same kit that I have assembled (built).
The manual cover is identical except for the phone number and it is marked V 1.1 instead of V 1.0 but it is written "ENTIRE CONTENTS Copyright 1992.

My kit was purchased about 4 years ago. I worked on it in leisure times and it took me a long time to finish it. I still want to paint some registration on it.

I did not have a digital camera before April 2007 at which time a lot of building had been done.

I made some , should I say "serious" modifications and also ran into some snags (problens) which I had to solve. If needed I can talk to you about those outside this forum. Let me know.

Did you see the pictures of my Skybolt posted earlier in this thread ?

The one piece cowling you got was a good idea. The two piece in the kit is a bit of a chore to put together. I first installed a Super Tiger G90 mounted horizontally with the cylinder protruding on the right side. I then switched to a Saito 125 mounted inverted. I had fun patching up the large opening on the right side of the cowling.

Well if you like the idea of having a companion following along in this thread, I guess I am your man. Let me know.

I followed the sequence in the manual and that led me into some problems. Building another one I would alter the sequence for reasons I can better explain later. Starting with the tail surfaces is fine.

Regarding your concern about butt joining skin balsa sheets I did not use CA glue. I used Sig-Ment and there is a way to avoid any sanding problems. In fact the way I finished my plane there was very little sanding to do. We can talk about that later if you wish.

Awaiting your response and comments.

Oh! _ _ _ and do not forget to have a "Happy New Year".

Zor

Old 12-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Jaybird

Hi Zor,

Yes, I saw your Canadian Mapleleaf color scheme...very nice. I'm thinking of using the colors from the full scale Super Skybolt I saw at an airshow in Brunswick, Maine last summer.

I'll keep you posted and I'll be in touch, thanks.

Jaybird
Old 12-31-2009, 04:23 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Just remembered another thing you need to do. The manual has you glue the fuse side to the former and then put the wing hold down blocks in. I did it just like the manual said and it was a big mistake. Make sure you put the wing hold down blocks in at the same time you are gluing the fuse side to the formers. Other than that, the build was very straightforward.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 PM
parrthd

after a break from r/c i'm glad to be back and HIGHLY pleased to get to follow along with a TRUE builders kit such as this one.........

when i built this kit a few years ago i installed top and bottom hatches for access to battery/fuel tank compartments...also modified the landing gear so that it could be taken off if need be....

good luck, it was LOTS of fun when i built it, ALL 11 MONTHS of building!!!!!

keep us posted

BTW, i can direct you to the thread that i posted in if you'd like to read up on other mods before you get started.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Zor
Banned

Please post a link to the thread

Zor
Old 01-01-2010, 10:23 AM
parrthd

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35..._1/key_/tm.htm

my build starts around page 21 or so.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...tm.htm#5039694

my maiden report.....don't know what happened to the video link....
Old 01-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Zor
Banned

Thanks for the link parrthd,

I spent quite a bit of time last evening reading through the whole build log.
A super job that deserves congratulations.

I see that you ran into some of the same problems I had and solved them in the similar way.

Overall the kit is OK. Nothing in this world is perfect.

I am looking forward to follow another build log.
It sure would keep this hangar active for a while

I would encourage any prospective builder to take some time and look at your link (at your build log thread) that is very well presented.

Zor

Old 01-02-2010, 10:39 PM
parrthd

thanks for the compliment Zor..... at times i felt like i was spending more time at the 'comp typing than i was at the table building...LOL
Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 PM
japes999
My Feedback: (9)

Just had to share my pics of my skybolt kit.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Zor
Banned

japes999,

WOW _ _ _ a gorgeous Skybolt with an imaginative color scheme.

Tell us a bit about it.
Weight,
Engine,
Flown or not yet.
I guess not yet as I do not see ailerons interconnections
nor horns on the control surfaces.
Kit source.

Thanks for showing it in Chris hangar.
It is a superb model

Zor
Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 PM
parrthd

OUTSTANDING.........lemme get my sunglasses and i'll take another look!!!!!

beautiful bird japes.......you'll love it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.