Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Western Front Dawn Patrol 2010

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:51 AM
PfalzPflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Western Front Dawn Patrol 2010

Presented by the Cobras R/C Club - A.M.A. Charter #744:

The 4th annual Western Front Dawn Patrol - "The R/C Celebration of Early Aviation".

Open to all scale and fun-scale R/C models representing the first 30 years of powered and controlled human flight, 1903-1933.

Held September 18-19, 2010 at Cobras R/C Field approx. 9 miles south of Council Bluffs, Iowa.

World War 1 planes do dawn patrol at daybreak, with "mission-oriented flying" throughout the day.

Planes will be scheduled in rotation to fly with others of their respective timeframe (Pioneers of Flight, WW1, Barnstormers, etc.), plus there will be ample periods of open "scale" flying.

$10 landing fee includes meals and drinks. Free admission to spectators. Food vendors on site. Camping spaces (no hookups) are available.

Bookmark our event webpage:
http://www.westernfrontdawnpatrol.co...-fun-fly10.htm

Contact person:
Dean Dingman, Event Director
[email protected]
www.westernfrontdawnpatrol.com
Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Western Front Dawn Patrol 2010

Hi Dean,
The last two years that I have attended your event I have had a great time. You boys treat us out-of-towners really nice. That field you guys have had since 1965 has to be the best in the midwest.
You can plan on us boys from the Grand Island Modelers again.
Jim S.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 PM
PfalzPflyer

Jim,

We were glad to have you there. Your big Fleet was a joy to see in the air, and we all enjoyed seeing how well you flew it. We'll look forward to seeing you again!

Best regards,
Dean
Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Hopper

Hi Dean,

Brian Hole and Dale Locander from Arkansas Dawn patrol told me about your event and I am really looking forward to making a trip up to fly with you all. Your event is a week after our Warbirds over Tulsa even here at the Tulsa Gluedobber field. I like to invite you all down to make some dawn patrols with us. You can find a thread in this forum about our event and we'll have more info posted soon on the web site.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 AM
PfalzPflyer

Hopper,

We'd be happy to have you join us for our Dawn Patrol. As Dale and Brian have probably already told you, we have a good time at this event and always try to take good care of our visitors who travel and stay overnight. And there's nothing quite like flying "dawn patrol" as the first pink glow of daybreak spreads across the Loess Hills. *grin*

I've heard good things about your event. If you will send me the hyperlink to your event webpage, I will forward it to the fellow who does our website so that he can add it to the "Out-of-Area Events" section of the local R/C flying calendar that he maintains online. Then everybody here will see it.

Best regards,
Dean in Omaha
Old 01-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Hopper

We don't have it on the web site as yet, because we are revamping the site, but here are the flyers for it.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Spritch

PfalzPflyer...

Ran across your webpage and the Dawn Patrol for 2010 the other day and had already posted them at the OK Sooner Squadron website
www.oksoonersquadron.netfirms.com under the 'Out of state R/C clubs & events' page - and the - MVAA (Military & Vintage Aircraft Association) www.mvaaok.org website under the "Regional Warbirds events" page. Would appreciate it if you would consider letting your visitors know about our events as well... links or flyers can be found at either website. Always keep me updated when you guys have something new... and I'll get it posted on either website.

-Stan
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Spritch

PfalzPflyer...

Meant to add in that last post... when you get a chance... visit either one of the websites OKSS or MVAA and double check me on the GPS code I posted to find your field. I try to nail it down so my visitors get the correct location information should they want to find any of the club/event fields I have listed. Since I haven't had a chance to personally be at your field as yet... and trying to find them with a Google map search can be difficult to get it right sometimes. If I got it wrong... set me straight if you would.

-Stan
Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 PM
PfalzPflyer

Stan,

Thanks for the link on the OK Sooner Squadron website. We appreciate the assistance in publicizing our event.

I'll pass the info about your events on to our webmaster so he can add them to our regional website.

I'll also try to check the GPS coordinates, although that may not be easy for me without a GPS unit. I might just have to take your word for it! The best way to find the field is still, "Take Interstate 29 to Exit 42, then follow the blaze orange "Dawn Patrol" signs."

Best regards,
Dean in Omaha
Old 01-31-2010, 09:37 PM
PfalzPflyer

Stan,

I just checked the GPS coordinates from Google Maps, and you got it perfect! Thanks!

Dean in Omaha
Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
bhole74

ORIGINAL: PfalzPflyer

Hopper,

We'd be happy to have you join us for our Dawn Patrol. As Dale and Brian have probably already told you, we have a good time at this event and always try to take good care of our visitors who travel and stay overnight. And there's nothing quite like flying ''dawn patrol'' as the first pink glow of daybreak spreads across the Loess Hills. *grin*

I've heard good things about your event. If you will send me the hyperlink to your event webpage, I will forward it to the fellow who does our website so that he can add it to the ''Out-of-Area Events'' section of the local R/C flying calendar that he maintains online. Then everybody here will see it.

Best regards,
Dean in Omaha

Nothing quite like touch and go's off the top of the 5th wheel trailers when the lazy people are still sleeping at 9:00. [8D]
Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 AM
PfalzPflyer

ORIGINAL: bhole74

Nothing quite like touch and go's off the top of the 5th wheel trailers when the lazy people are still sleeping at 9:00. [8D]

Not that anything like that could ever happen at an A.M.A.-sanctioned event...right, Brian?

Dean in (frozen) Omaha
Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
bhole74

Nope, it would never happen. (Darn a/c units in the way) LOL
Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 PM
PfalzPflyer

Well, Larry was able to call the A.M.A. today and get confirmation of our sanction number (10-805), so it looks like we are an "official" A.M.A. sanctioned event again this year.

Whoo Hoo! Here we go again!

This is gonna be the best one yet, I can just feel it! [8D]

Dean
Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 PM
bhole74

Hey Dean, Loan me $58 so I can renew my AMA. LOL
Old 04-30-2010, 02:59 PM
PfalzPflyer

Hey Dean, Loan me $58 so I can renew my AMA. LOL
Um... I'll get back to you on that! LOL!

Dean
Old 06-22-2010, 10:18 PM
PfalzPflyer

Stan And Claude,

Hey, it was sure great meeting ya'll at the Warbirds Over Arkansas event. Looking forward to seeing ya'll at the WFDP in September.

Best regards,
Dean
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 AM
PfalzPflyer

Getting down to the "home stretch" now. Only 5 weeks to go!

We're hoping to see some of ya'll this year for the first time, as well as looking forward to seeing the return of old friends.

We have a special treat at this year's event. Author Tom Crean is planning to have a booth with copies of his new book, "Leutnant der Reserve Werner Voss and the Pilots of Jasta 10" at the event this year. I've seen the pre-printing manuscript copy of the book, and all I can say is "Wow!" Very thorough and complete, with unpublished photos and drawings. It's clear that this work represents years of research. Anyone interested in Voss, Jasta 10, or just WW1 aviation in general will be impressed. It's a great opportunity to pick up a signed copy directly from the author. Don't miss it!

Best regards,
Dean Dingman, Event Director
Old 09-12-2010, 10:06 AM
jjmretired
My Feedback: (15)

It's 825 miles from Montrose, Co. but it sounds like it'll be worth the drive. Leaving Thursday. Jay & Janet
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
PfalzPflyer

Jay,

Looking forward to meeting you. Any idea of what time you'll be arriving at Cobras Field? "We'll throw another shrimp on the barbie!"

We're going to try to have the observation balloon up by early Friday afternoon (dependant on wind conditions) to make finding the field just that much easier. Otherwise just follow the orange "Dawn Patrol" signs after taking Exit 42 off of Interstate 29 just south of Council Bluffs.
http://www.westernfrontdawnpatrol.com/field_map.htm

Best regards,
Dean in Omaha
Old 09-12-2010, 09:58 PM
jjmretired
My Feedback: (15)

Dean, We should be there around noon. Can we leave the airplane trailer at the field Friday night? Jay
Old 09-13-2010, 12:30 AM
PfalzPflyer

ORIGINAL: jjmretired

Can we leave the airplane trailer at the field Friday night? Jay
Yes, absolutely. In fact, you probably won't be the only one doing that. I'm sure some of the Oklahoma and Arkansas boys will be doing that as well.

Early arrivals and security are not an issue. There will be someone associated with the event present at the field continuously from Wednesday onwards, if not earlier.

Best regards,
Dean
Old 09-15-2010, 09:04 AM
bhole74

Several of us will be there overnight, shotguns loaded, protecting the airbase.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 AM
PfalzPflyer

Several of us will be there overnight, shotguns loaded, protecting the airbase.
Well if Brian is bringing his shotgun, then your stuff is as safe as if it was in Fort Knox. You don't want to cross a Missourian with a shotgun! *Cue "Dueling Banjos" theme*

Dean in Omaha
Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
bhole74

We have been getting plenty of target practice with all the convicts escaping from the county jail lately. [X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.