Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sterling Models

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 AM
118winter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: There's a couple of Sterling kits on Ebay...

Ive just found this site, Could any one out there help me, I bought a Sterling Fokker D7 (FS21) off the Bay, was supposed to be complete, built the winfs ans tail went to build the fuse, but the ply formers are missing, anyone know where to get hold of the templates, unfotunately the plans only show a side view so cant make any, Its a shame that I cant finish it, this site is a gold mind of information.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 AM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

Give this site a try:

[link=http://home.comcast.net/~classicsterling/site/]http://home.comcast.net/~classicsterling/site/[/link]

Rick
Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
ChiefK

I'm looking for plans too. I had a Rimfire way back in the day... I'd love to build another from scratch. If anyone has an original Sterling plan sheet for the Rimfire, I'd be happy to pay for a full size copy or the original plan itself if it will no longer be needed. A photo of my old rimfire below....

ChiefK
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45765.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1082983  
Old 01-19-2009, 06:42 PM
steelheas17

Default RE: Sterling Models

I have found in the attic a Joe Martin denight special fs17k in original box just was wondering what it would be worth
Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
oldsterling

If the kit is in very good to excellent condition it should fetch about $140, if less than excellent condition then about half that. Those prices are based on averages from eBay auctions over the last few years.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After browsing the Classic Sterling Site, I took a look at some of the kits I have, and have sent a number of scans of plans, parts, decals and such. I still have a bunch to go. Happily, one of the last bennies at the company I work for is access to a wide bed scanner and a policy that allows us reasonable personal use after working hours. I have been able to outline the die cut sheets with dark pencil and pen, and scan the results, at least up to 3/16" balsa. And the effort has been beneficial to me as well. Not only the idea of giving something back to this hobby/sport, but in looking through these, and other kits, I've also found some of the papers in many kits damaged either from age or critters like siverfish. When and if I ever get finished, I will have the scans available to generate new plans to build from. Too bad a family of field mice took up residence in my old Top Flight F4U Corsair kit. Totaly chewed up the molded wood components and plans, besides contaminating some of the other parts with, shall we say, waste products? Cumadin (Decon) seems to have ended the problem.

If anybody out there has any of the kits they are looking for plan and parts scans for, please consider making them up and sending them in. I have already sent in plans for the Olympic Challenger, Mini-Fledgling, CL S1A Ringmaster, Lil Stuntin Ringmaster 049, X-Wing and Y-Wing fighters, C-4 Waco SRE, and 1/2A Viper, Rubber powered Great Lakes, B-7M 50' Chris Craft Catalina Boat, and am working up scans for the older Tripacer, Control Line Flying Fool, Cessna 180, RC Piper Tri Pacer, RC Piper J-3, American Scout C-2 cargo ship, and a few others. Seems the free flite guys have been more cooprative than the RCrs, that list is much more filled in.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:47 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Missing Link

ORIGINAL: skylark-flier

Geez y'all, maybe I need to retire mine and put it on a pedestal or something. I've been flying the Sterling FS-13, the Bell P-63 King Cobra since mid-1973 and it's always performed flawlessly.

One of the historical notes concerning the full-size P-63's is that the vast majority of them were sold (given) to the Russians during WW2 and they painted them dark gray on top, light gray on bottom and mounted a rather large cannon under each of the wings - using them as tank-busters. Today, all over Russia there are P-63's mounted on pedestals and sitting in air museums, they thought THAT much of them.

Because of that, mine was originally finished in the Russian colors, and has been flying that way ever since.

Down below is a pic of my "63", along with my favorite old Cosmic Wind of the same period.

Dave

Hi "Old School" Dave,
FS-13 is a full fuselage, 70" span R/C Pattern/Scale model designed by Maxey Hester in 1961 and kitted by Sterling in 1962. I think what you have there is a Midwest kitted P-63 King Cobra profile. Vince Macchia designed it and another whole series of warbird types like the Me-109, Mustang, Skyraider and P-40.
Chris...
Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 50+AirYears

But the change from P to F conversion didn't happen till sometime between the end of WW2 and the start of Korea. So, apparently the correct designation would depend on the period you were modeling. Thus, if you had markings for say the Tuskegee Airmen, you'd use the P-51 designation, but if you were modeling a mustang for a plane or outfit that flew in Korea, you'd call it an F-51.

If one is to look at the profile of the Sterling model of the Mustang it is pretty evident that it is of a P-51H model designed as a lightweight follow on to the wartime D model.
The P to F designation was around 1948, true enough. But; The airplane isn't very true to a P-51D, or F-51D. It looks just like a P-51H or F-51H!
Chris...
Old 02-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Live Wire

Chris
Just looked at the plansThe Sterling P 63 has short ailerons (barn doors)and the other has full length.
FS 13-2750 was control line or RC 35-60 engines.
Mine did not last long aileron Flutter [:@]
Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 PM
50+AirYears

While scanning the plans for the Olympic Challenger, I noticed they had hints on building this RC job to CL also. Good idea. And I have a kit for the Goldberg P-40 profile control line ship that shows how to build it for RC. Could do this with a lot of different planes.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 PM
planeman40

Interesting thread!

I would like to offer to the crowd plans for the Sterling Diamont sailplane in high resolution .PDF format. I got these plans in a swap and have straightened and restored them in Photoshop. They include the parts patterns. Just e-mail me at [email protected] and be sure to mention Sterling Diamont sailplane and I will send the plan back by e-mail attachment. No charge.

And . . . can anyone send me a scan of the Sterling U-control "Mr. Mulligan" plan from the 1940s? I would love to do a restoration of it and offer it back to the group.

Planeman
Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Live Wire

I have an old Monocupe from back in the late 40's to early 50's I converted to RC hanging in the shop look's like new. The mustang was another remake. Thats been just a year or 2 ago
Old 02-21-2009, 08:48 AM
jjscott

Larry:

What did you lose to aileron flutter, the Sterling P-63? Do you remember the setup and circumstances. I've got a Sterling P-63 and would like to build it with the original aileron hinging. I'd use nylon bellcranks internally rather than the ply ones.

Jim
Old 02-21-2009, 07:09 PM
mtnflyer3

Hi

This is my first post on the forum.

I just wanted to mention, that I have a Stinson Reliant Kit FS-33, that I partially built years ago. In fact, it was nearly framed-up to the point of covering.

The fuselage and wings were left hanging on the wall when I went to work one day. My wife's budgy bird attacked both, and damaged both to the point where I gave the project up. All the parts are still with me, waiting for me to rejuvinate the build. This is just an interesting side note as to why I never replaced the wife's budgy when it died of old age.

I also have a NIB SR-8 Gullwing, Kit#E8; and a NIB Shoestring, Kit S1A.

Just sharing on my first Universe post.

Guy
Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Live Wire

Jim
They got so violent that the pined hinges tore right out of the wing in flight. I didn't seal the ailerons gap and the aierons came off. Would not have had this problem if I would have had 2 servo's in the wing.
And to top it off it was a low, high speed pass. One of those watch this crashes once the flutter started , nothing you could do but watch[:@]
about 3 seconds
Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

YE GADS!!!! I've been labelling this plane wrong for nearly 30 years now!!!! My profound apologies to all
Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a pic of my Sterling Ringmaster RC . It has a foam core/balsa wing. I used it as my first trainer. I bought it years ago at a LHS. He had it on a clearance table for 30 bucks. It was a "ARC" model.. All I had to do was finish the covering and install all the goodies.
It flies like butter, lands on a dime , does basic loops rolls,snaps, split-s. I would say it's a step up from the run of the mill trainers you see out there today. I allways get "what model is that" when it's on the flightline. Right now I'ts on the project to do list for a recovering. I found the original scheme and will cover it that way. Simular to a sky baby, red and yellow scallops on wings. My daughter was kind unuff to pose at the field ..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69887.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1149571  
Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
lynn 54

Default RE: Tri-Pacer

hi are you there
Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 PM
frankolin42
My Feedback: (2)

WANTED: Plans for S-12 Flying Fool. email me at [email protected] If they are available on the web please shoot me the address, Thanks for your help..[][:-][][:-][][:-]
Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm finally starting on the 63" Sterling PT-17 that I bought from a guy for $5 almost new in the box. He got it from another guy that was about to deploy to Iraq for his tour. The guy that I got it from had no idea how to build a kit and I'm glad that he just wanted to unload the kit. It's been in my shop for a couple of years. The wings were already built, but I'm still making sure that they are correct. At least it is Ambroid on the ribs. The vertical stab is started (used Gorilla Glue so I'm doing a lot of sanding). Last night, I started on the horz. stab. I'm glad that the loose parts were all put in baggies, so I'm not doing a lot of digging around. Can't wait to start on the fuse! The die cutting is bad, but I have plenty of extra balsa around the shop to make new parts. I'm surprised just how heavy it is, but I've got a .61 that should do the job of hauling it around. Just have to replintiish my stock of sandpaper
Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM
79Trapper65

Sirs I am looking for plans for a Sterling Models Inc. Cirrus glider kit which I recently purchased as a project for my grandsons and me. Would anyone know where I could get a set of plans? Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
50+AirYears

Just scored an already built Fledgling in trade for an OS .30 RC and a .35FP. I figure I got the better of the bargain. Last time I used either one, it was in the same plane. The plane, a Sabik Mk50 from an old RCM in-mag plan just barely got airborn with the .30, and with the .35, whip stalled on each take off till I one flight got way too much altitude, and splat. Same plane was very flyable on a Fox .25 Scnuerle, and a real tiger on an older 1970s era slant plug Fox .36, but with the .36, 4 ounces of 10% was enough for about a tak-off, a couple laps with loops and rolls, and a glide to a landing. I'm hoping my Fox .40 will fit in the Fledgling, but I also have my choice of a TT .36, Magnum .40, ST .40, or an OS .40FS. I'm kind of partial to the Fox. Haven't run the TT or Magnum, yet.

Also, today I found a print and truck wrap place about 20 minutes from home that has a large-bed plot capability. Maybe I can at least finish sending copies of plans to that Sterling web site, if not parts copies, depending on cost.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:16 AM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

I have a NIB Mr Mulligan AND the Monocoupe, along with the F4U-1 birdcage Corsair. I also have the RC version of the Corsair but it's a later mark variant.

I do not have access to a scanner large enough for a whole print plan but I guess I could scan it in sections on my Canon flat bed. You'd have to piece it all together though...

Let me know. I DO have an extra set of Bud Nosen Mr Mulligan plans layin' around here somewheres. Big beast that she was.

[email protected]

PM
Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM
mmartin55

ORIGINAL: 79Trapper65

Sirs I am looking for plans for a Sterling Models Inc. Cirrus glider kit which I recently purchased as a project for my grandsons and me. Would anyone know where I could get a set of plans? Thanks in advance
Bob Holman has them at www.bhplans.com or email [email protected].
Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
79Trapper65

Sir
Did I understand that you have the kit for the Sterling Cirrus? If so do you have a set of plans for it? I recently purchased a kit which had no plans for my grandsons and I to build but am having trouble finding plans.
Regards
Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.