Community
Search
Notices
MRC Charger Product Support (i.e. Super Brain, etc) Tim Sandor of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your MRC questions here!

Another Superbrain 960 charging problem post

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
jlovell999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Superbrain 960 charging problem post

I, too, am now having problems with my SB 960. Will not charge any of my 5 batteries. Charge process runs for about 11 minutes and finishes with a non-error code then goes into trickle mode. The battery, when used, lasts for about a minute or so and is dead again.

Charging process is as follows.

1. Plug in the charger.
2. Plug in the battery. (battery registrers good with charger)
3. Set the Charge rate
- Typically .2 - .4 amps over the battery rating (ie 1100mah NiMH would get a charge rate of 1.3A to 1.5A)
4. Peak Voltage is at 30mV
5. Press Start

Testing of battery succeeds and charging starts. Runs 11 minutes and the battery is declared charged. This is the same run time if I am using a 3800mah battery or a little 1100mah battery. The battery NEVERgets warm, remains at room temperature. The charger NEVER gets warm, remains at room temperature. Additionally, when the charge is running, if you press the display button, it cycles from Volts to Amps to Mins to "m" (not sure what this is) then back to Volts. On the AMPS screen, the value shown is always 0.00 which indicates to me that there is no current flowing into the battery (but maybe I'm misunderstanding what this value is supposed to be). Voltage starts out at 8.43 or 9.something and does not change(ie doesn't go up or down except by maybe 0.01 either way) when the 11 minute cycle is finished.

The batteries were purchased in spring of 2008 and have not been used heavily but have been used. They are not new. Last few times they charged just fine. Now I get the above scenario. Last time they were used was late summer/early fall. Batteries are all 8.4V and are as follows:

3 - 1100mah 7cell NiMH batteries
1 - 1100mah 7cell NiCD Battery
1 - 3800Mah 7cell NiMH battery

Charger was purchased in February 2009 and is kept in original bag in original box when not in use (so it isn't abused or has had cokes spilled in it, etc). The charger also appears to be the "old style" 960. The AMPsettings run from 0.2 to 4.5, not 0.1 to 4.5 which I have read is the "newer"model's range.

After reading the above, does anyone have any suggestions of anything I am doing wrong with my use of this?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:28 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Another Superbrain 960 charging problem post

Hi, and Welcome to RCU and the mrc support forum. (I'm not sure what has happened to Tim@MRC)

It sure sounds like the charger itself is bad and there's no user error. You've been using it in the past and 5 batts don't go bad all at once , so that and the 0 current tells me the charger has stopped charging. Well you already knew that though.

The only thing I'd suggest is to try it out on DC power. That would tell us if it's the power supply or the charger itself. Either way if you contact MRC they should be able to fix you up with repair/replacement. http://www.modelrectifier.com/contactus/index.asp
Old 01-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Mattman154

Hello,

I'm actually having the same problem (Although I'm charging a battery for an Airsoft Gun). It gives me a reading of 0 amps, but it still reads the volts as if it's connected well. I don't have the proper Timiya adapter, so I had to use the gator clips that came with this charger.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
jlovell999

Followup to my original message. Friend of mine took the five batteries and was able to successfully charge them with his charger and then use them for a sustaned period of time. It appears at this point that my MRC 960 is not charging anything. Since it is less than a year old, I'll contact MRC and find out what they have to say about warranty service for this unit. Stay tuned....
Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Tim@MRC

Hi Guys,
Sorry I haven't responded recently. If you both can return your 960's to us for servie, I'll cover them both under warranty. Please send them to us with your name, address, and phone number with a brief description of the problem and we'll take care of them for you.

Tim Sandor
Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 AM
jlovell999

Good deal! I sent an email to [email protected] with the outlines of the problem and have yet to hear anything back. As to getting these back to MRC, how do we ship these things back (ie to what address, how should we mark the package(RMA number), etc)? The MRCWebsite has no info on this at all other than the email addresses listed. Don't take all the questions the wrong way, though, I just want to be safe and do this properly so the unit doesn't get lost in the process.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Tim@MRC

No sweat...I hear ya. You can send them in to us at:

MRC
80 Newfield Ave.
Edison, NJ 08837

Put on the box - ATTN: Tim - Urgent

I'll try to turn these around pretty quickly for you.

Tim
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 PM
flrednec04

Hello, New to this forum. Seems i have the same trouble with my charger as the above people do. So i just send it in to MRC for repair ? And I get to pay for the shipping too? woooo hooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is BS. Pay good money for something shouldnt it work more than 5-6 charges ?????
Old 06-19-2010, 02:17 PM
ragboxer

Hello, I am having the same problem with my MRC 960. I bought mine brand new at the beginning of 2009. Saved it for the summer when the kids visit. Tried to charge a few batteries July 2009. Kept shutting off without getting warm and no charge, figured it was a lemon and threw it in the closet. Kids are back this summer, found all these posts and tried to use both AC and DC. Still doesn't work. Has less than ten attempts to charge on it. Am I past the warranty or can I still mail it in?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 AM
proximityinfotech4

I am using a 3800mah battery or a little 1100mah battery. The battery NEVERgets warm, remains at room temperature. The charger NEVER gets warm, remains at room temperature. Additionally, when the charge is running, if you press the display button, it cycles from Volts to Amps to Mins to "m" (not sure what this is) then back to Volts. On the AMPS screen, the value shown is always 0.00 which indicates to me that there is no current flowing into the battery (but maybe I'm misunderstanding what this value is supposed.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Used Auto Parts | Used Car Parts
Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Shade_Angel

I am also having this problem with a new charger that I bought on ebay. It worked fine for 3 charges and now it says the 0.00 Amps on it. Does anyone know how to fix this??