Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Old 01-14-2010, 05:35 AM
orcrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Perhaps but I would have thought the conventional approach would have been simpler for the 72Mhz antenna.

If you look at this photo here there does appear to be a serious amount of wiring going to the base of the antenna connection. A lot for what would only need to be a dummy connection for the base of the 2.4GHz & 72MHz antennas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garethk...7622786379680/

Is there someone from Hitec who can confirm how the 72MHz antenna will be connected?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 AM
avronaut

ORIGINAL: orcrest

Perhaps but I would have thought the conventional approach would have been simpler for the 72Mhz antenna.

If you look at this photo here there does appear to be a serious amount of wiring going to the base of the antenna connection. A lot for what would only need to be a dummy connection for the base of the 2.4GHz & 72MHz antennas.

Is there someone from Hitec who can confirm how the 72MHz antenna will be connected?

What's wrong?

Remove the 2.4GHz Modul. Unscrew the 2.4GHz antenna adapter the same way as a regluar antenna. Put the 72MHz MHz Modul in and screw the antenna in. That's it!

Uli
Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 AM
orcrest

Nothing is WRONG. Thankyou for the lessonbut I am fairly sure I have a handle on the mechanics of changing modules and antennas.

I just want Hitec to clarify if the 72MHzantenna is connected externally to the module by a wireor if it works through the internal connection. Very simple question, not too hard to understand I would have thought.

A person on this forum has suggested that it is connected externally to the 72MHz module. I amSIMPLY asking if anyone from HITEC can confirm this, and if it isNOT connected externally, is the metal 72MHz antenna sold with the Spectra Pro or is it a separate purchase? Other than a brief oblique referencein the RCFlyer magazine review, nothing that I have seen so far alludes to which situation is true, not on any forum to which I am subscribed nor in any Hitec promotional material that I have seen.

Maybe it's just so obvious that it should work through the internal connection like every other FM transmitter in existence that Hitec haven't felt the need to spell it out for us, it's obvious to me that that's probably how it will work. But equally there are some who think it might be wired externally.

For me, I assume that it will work internally soI just want to know if the metal antenna comes with the Spectra Pro when you buy it or is it a separate purchase. That's it, plain & simple.

I've repeated my question a number of different ways now so I hope the ESL among us have finally got the gist of my question.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Striker

Orcrest, I dont think Avronaut was being sarcastic or rude when he was saying "What's wrong" I think he was just trying to say its not a problem, so don't take it too personal He is a very helpful and knowledgeable guy.

I guess you have a lot of 72Mhz stuff and it would cost a fortune to convert to 2.4Ghz. Its too bad you cant do the complete conversion to 2.4 Ghz, its one of the big benefits of the A9. Just to remind you though. before March 31st, 2010, you are getting the Aurora 9 with TWO receivers and if you can afford it, you can get a third RX (7channel) for half price under USD $40. If I were you I would get the three 2.4 Ghz RX's and convert.

Cheers Mate.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 AM
avronaut

Nothing is WRONG. Thankyou for the lesson but I am fairly sure I have a handle on the mechanics of changing modules and antennas.

I just want Hitec to clarify if the 72MHz antenna is connected externally to the module by a wire or if it works through the internal connection. Very simple question, not too hard to understand I would have thought.

A person on this forum has suggested that it is connected externally to the 72MHz module. I am SIMPLY asking if anyone from HITEC can confirm this, and if it is NOT connected externally, is the metal 72MHz antenna sold with the Spectra Pro or is it a separate purchase? Other than a brief oblique reference in the RCFlyer magazine review, nothing that I have seen so far alludes to which situation is true, not on any forum to which I am subscribed nor in any Hitec promotional material that I have seen.

Maybe it's just so obvious that it should work through the internal connection like every other FM transmitter in existence that Hitec haven't felt the need to spell it out for us, it's obvious to me that that's probably how it will work. But equally there are some who think it might be wired externally.

For me, I assume that it will work internally so I just want to know if the metal antenna comes with the Spectra Pro when you buy it or is it a separate purchase. That's it, plain & simple.

I've repeated my question a number of different ways now so I hope the ESL among us have finally got the gist of my question.

Don't come down. Moduls will be connected inside via the antenna base as usual.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14005159@N00/4274337800/

Uli

Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 AM
orcrest

That's the problem about conversing in print, it's very easy for things to be misunderstood. My reply was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

I never said I had a problem with swapping modules or antennas, or even that it was a hassle to do so. I did quite regularly with my Eclipse and all my aircraft on different frequencies even with the synthesised TX module, check outmy aircraft in myprofile. All 36MHz stuff by the way, I justuse 72MHz as an example whenon this forum to keep you guys happy.

I do get a little annoyed when people offer seemingly flippant observations that don't really address the actual question that was being asked. But maybe that's just me. Anyway I'm not really bothered by it all.

Uli - Thanks I totally agree with you! But that wasn't what I was getting at.

ATTENTION HITEC!!

"When you buy the 72MHz (or in my case 36MHz) Spectra Pro module will you get the metal antenna with it or do you need to purchase it separately?"

Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 AM
avronaut

...I just want Hitec to clarify if the 72MHz antenna is connected externally to the module by a wire or if it works through the internal connection. Very simple question, not too hard to understand I would have thought...

This means, you want to know if the antenna is included in a 72MHz conversation kit?

OK. May be, my English is not sufficient.

Anyway I can't help you ;-)

Uli
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey mike,

I have been following this thread closely since about page 5. I have one on order. can you let us know when you guys get them in the U.S. I would like to know when you guys ship them out we know when to expect ours. Thx Mike.

Steve
Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 PM
orcrest

Uli - That was in reply to Bualdoot's comment that there was an external wire for the 72MHz antenna. Totally separate from my original question and your comment did not address either of those statements in any case, so yes, I would say your engilsh is not sufficient.

I didn't agree withBualdootbut was happy to accept that anything is possible in this world and I don't have all the answers. So Isimply sought to get Hitec or their representatives to confirm what I believed to be correct.

Hopefully we're now all clear, thanks for your input.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry, I thought I answered this earlier today... I guess I forgot to hit "OK."

No, I believe the antenna is a separate item... Not 100% sure though since it's not available. I'll look into this.

FYI: It is the same as the one used in the Optic and Eclipse.

Mike.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM
flycolorado

Got my 2 new 7ch revievers today, only took a couple weeks, thanks Hitec.

Going to try my heli now.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 PM
chewytm

Mike,

I think the FCC certifies the module WITH the antenna. If you don't include the antenna, how do you guarantee the buyer/user with use the correct antenna? Aren't you running the risk of being sued?

chewy
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Striker

Guys, though I am an electronic tech, I did not want to remove the charging circuit diode for fast charging, not for fear or hurting the A9 but for warranty purposes etc. I decided instead to do a neat little mod which I am almost sure wont void the warranty.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT:

1. I AM IN NO WAY RECOMMENDING THIS MOD TO ANYONE
2. THAT I AM A TRAINED AND CERTIFIED ELECTRONIC TECHIE SINCE 1987
3. THAT I HAVE BEEN DESIGNING AND BUILDING ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS SINCE JESUS WAS LEARNING TO WALK ON WATER
4. THAT THIS IS NOT A "DO IT YOURSELF" WRITE UP, BUT SHOWING WHAT I DID AS A SOLUTION TO "MY" NEED
5. THAT IF YOU DECIDE TO DO THIS YOU ARE DOING IT AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I DO NOT ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM

I find the 13000mA battery more than enough for the A9 and so wanted to ensure fast charging without constantly removing it to do so. So after looking at the space in the battery compartment, I realized that I can mount an auxiliary fast charging jack on the battery cover.

So I bought a nice good quality (US made) surface mount charging jack which has a different size from the stock one on the A9, did some measurements on the cover and how it sits on the A9. I purposely chose to use a different size so that I can’t mix up the chargers.

I soldered the wires observing the polarity of the charging jack, shrink wrap them, drilled a hole on the battery cover, threaded the jack firmly onto it, removed the battery from the TX, removed a small amount of insulation from the battery pack wires AT TWO DIFFERENT POINTS. It’s an old preventative measure I use so that if for some ungodly reason the insulation or heat shrink did come off, the exposed wires can never make contact.

I pre soldered the wires from the jack and the two wires on the battery back, soldered them and insulated them really well. I did not want to cut the wires on the battery pack, so I just peeled off a bit of the insulation, but this meant that I cannon get shrink wrap over them. So I soldered the charge jack wires onto them, used some brush on insulation, let that dry and then still wrapped them with a generous amount of electrical insulation tape.

I tucked the wires in the nice space in the A9 battery compartment, looks like it was another AA battery space meant for an 8 cell pack, and jack fit perfectly well and did not rub anywhere.

I used my Triton battery charger which BTW has reverse polarity safety, placed it at .5C (650mA) and she charged beautifully. As I said I am an electronic spark head so I set up my termination, top up charge rate, sensing current rate and time, and all the other programming to make sure it’s all safe and sound.

I am happy with my mod and it worked like a charm. I preferred this mod than using a LiPo and having to remove it constantly to charge. I think the stock battery is just fine, pilots have been using (myself included) NiCad’s for years and years and I did the NiMHy conversion since they became popular in the mid 90ies and was always happy with them.

Cheers Guys.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: chewytm

Mike,

I think the FCC certifies the module WITH the antenna. If you don't include the antenna, how do you guarantee the buyer/user with use the correct antenna? Aren't you running the risk of being sued?

chewy

Oh Jeez! The FCC cert is with the module installed in the radio, so does that mean we can't sell it without the radio? I think not!

Mike.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Striker

Mike,

chewy
I am sure these guys did their home work really well, I wont worry
Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 PM
orcrest

Mike

Any chance you could show us some pics of the mod you did for puttingthe notch in the sliders?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 AM
chewytm

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

Mike,

chewy

Oh Jeez! The FCC cert is with the module installed in the radio, so does that mean we can't sell it without the radio? I think not!

Mike.

Ah, but the rest of the radio isn't radiating. The antenna is. I think it IS illegal to substitute a different antenna from the one it is tested with. This, I think are the FCC's rules. Of course, we do not have such rules where I live, or at least not enforced.

chewy
Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Striker

Ah, but the rest of the radio isn't radiating. The antenna is. I think it IS illegal to substitute a different antenna from the one it is tested with. This, I think are the FCC's rules. Of course, we do not have such rules where I live, or at least not enforced.

chewy
Agree, but who monitors the people buying the transmitters to see it they would always keep the antenna the radio was sold with??? Same goes for the crystals in the 72 Mhz TX. It's sold with a crystal for a specific frequency, the crystal can be changed for another which is within the upper or lower bands of the 72 Mhz RC spectrum, but who checks to see if they do this? Is the manufacturer responsible for this.

ORIGINAL: chewy. Of course, we do not have such rules where I live, or at least not enforced.

chewy
Don't you think that your government would have been setting the standards for this since Malaysia is one of the biggest manufacturers of home and industrial electronics?

I think the radio being tested and approved by the FCC with the antenna is one thing, but if the manufacturer clearly stipulates the specifications of the antenna required, its the OWNERS responsibility to ensure that they get that.

Regardless what the TX is shipped with, people can still do stupid things. Cars are sold and tested with approved brake pads, rotors and tires, do you think everyone replaces them with parts having the manufacturer specifications? NO

Yes you can say that at least the cars came with the ones which were quality components from the manufacturer, but the bottom line is many people will still go with cheap aftermarket ones and kill themselves in the process, so what it came with is still irrelevant.

I think you guys are blowing this way out of proportion and besides that, I am sure Hitec RCD thought of this before. The 72 Mhz frequency spectrum is also harmless with nothing of real importance outside the harmonics of that spectrum.

Manufacturers cannot be responsible for the the ignorance, negligence and for the out right stupidity which some people may bask in.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Striker

chewy
BTW chewy, I am not attacking you but just explaining. You cannot say " I think it IS illegal" if you are thinking, it has to be "maybe illegal."

Typing "IS" means that you are sure.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
chewytm

Striker,

It IS illegal in the USA to change the crystal to another frequency without retuning the radio by a "qualified" person. It IS also illegal to substitute a a rubber ducky antenna for the original antenna, even if it has the same specs, unless it has been certified by lab test and the proper forms filed, and the proper fees paid. It IS also illegal to murder someone. Not getting caught doesn't make it any more legal. Before the days of 2.4G, I think your clubs are supposed to frown on replacement antennae. It may not enforce the rules, but the law is the law.

As for Malaysia, we have our own pains. If I tried to import any radio, it has to be certified by the SIRIM, the national standards institute. If the radio control is labeled instead as "remote control" then that rule does not apply. Once these radios are in, no one bothers to check anything or anyone unless you are foolish enough to use the same frequency as the local authorities, such as the military, police etc, etc. Then they will search out the source of interference.

So, remember, not getting caught and not enforcing the rules does not make it legal.

chewy
Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
MikeMayberry

Mike

Any chance you could show us some pics of the mod you did for putting the notch in the sliders?

Thanks
I just used an Xacto to make a notch in the center.

Com'on guys... stay on topic. We'll worry about the FCC.

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59486.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1356589  
Old 01-15-2010, 03:57 PM
adaptabl

Hitec needs to make a nice high quality transmitter case for the A9. Like the High end JR/Futaba systems have. Hint Hint Hint

Old 01-15-2010, 05:01 PM
orcrest

Thanks Mike. Any problem getting that to match up with the "BEEP"?

I mean is the beep point actually in the dead centre or does it haveto be aligned in some way?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 AM
p51 fan

Hey Mike,

I have an A9 on order, but I have a concern. I have several 40 size planes still running 4.8 volt packs. I am slowly converting them as they need replacing. With the A9 will I have to convert these to 6.0V packs to prevent rebinding during flight like the Spectrum radios or will they be O.K.? Also can I set the RX voltage warning to a value suitable for 4.8V packs?

I know that futaba is o.k. with 4.8V and J.R. needs 6.0V minimum. just wondering where the A9 stands with this issue?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While it is preferred to use a 6v pack with Spektrum Rx's, I don't believe it is Required as a minimum. There are some servos that can't handle 6v. It is more important to be sure the battery you use has more than enough Capacity to handle the Current Draw. There are tools, like a Wattmeter, or the Hangar 9 Current Meter, that can tell you how much Current you entire system draws (or just one servo), with all the servos under Maximum Load. Even with 4.8v, you are less likely to have a Brownout if the Capacity of your battery is more than enough to handle all your servos Stalling at once. You still could get a Brownout with a 6v battery is it's Capacity was Marginal for your system.

I am speaking in reference to the comments about Spektrum Rx's as I do not know about the Hitec Rx's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.