Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

running in the ocean

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

running in the ocean

Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 AM
bluewaterboater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running in the ocean

hey i am designing a hull right now for running in the ocean, and i am wondering if anyone runs in the ocean and what hull they use and stuff i will post pics of the hull once i get it put into wood and ready to be glassed. and if no one runs in the ocean, then who has ran in bigger chop or waves in a pond, i am trying to stay under 40 inches
Old 12-22-2008, 11:42 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: running in the ocean

At my cottage my 46" gasser is the only hull that handles chop well at 45mph.

Ryan
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Alex73

I run in the sea. Its sometimes calm here and thats when I run my scat cat but i am in the process of a 43" gasser as you need something big to handle the sea.

If your doing an electric for the sea, self-righting would be very useful. So put a side chamber in to right it. Make it a very deep-V to be able to cut through the chop and make it very strong. Use all stainless bolts (or titanium), to make sure it does not corrode. If you are trying to stay under 40 inch, go with 39.9 inch, as the bigger the better.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Beasley1

This is my 44 inch cat. Flipped as soon as I took off. I was holding it wide open though. Probably not the best idea in that chop but it was my 1st run in the rough. Now I know, haha. I think you would want to start with a v-hull for the ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKcqS3zhLZY
Old 12-22-2008, 04:10 PM
aquinosteven

I used my villain. i was great in 2fters but i couldnt go very fast. i would get something bigger then 40"
Old 12-22-2008, 10:59 PM
bluewaterboater

haha that was a funny video, but i am building a boat which is 47 inches, i will post some pics on the process tomorrow, does anyone have any ideas for power, i was thinking twin brushless motors but i dont know if that will get it going in to the low to mid 30's, and im not quite sure about gas but i just need input, the hull is going to be all fiberglass but right now i am in the process of getting a skeleton to lay the fiberglass over, wish me luck
Old 12-22-2008, 11:26 PM
bluewaterboater

and what would be an appropriate gas motor to get for it and how much
Old 12-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Beasley1

ORIGINAL: bluewaterboater

hey i am designing a hull right now for running in the ocean, and i am wondering if anyone runs in the ocean and what hull they use and stuff i will post pics of the hull once i get it put into wood and ready to be glassed. and if no one runs in the ocean, then who has ran in bigger chop or waves in a pond, i am trying to stay under 40 inches
Just get at least 50 something inch v hull for the ocean and realy take it easy.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Beasley1

haha that was a funny video, but i am building a boat which is 47 inches
Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 AM
bluewaterboater

well i used to have helicopters and i have a spare gyro laying around and what i am thinking of doing is getting a sinker, putting it on a stainless steel rod on the bottom of the boat and if the bow goes up the gyro moves the wait up if the transom goes up then the wait goes back has anyone ever done something like this
Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM
mikesf

Just be warned that you need to develop real "captain" skills as you need to always keep your bow vertical to the waves, ease of the throttle when jumping, turn at a safe "between waves" spot to avoid capsizing.

I use a 30" nitro, VERY deep vee, and with caution I successfully cruise at 4-5 Beaufort without capsizing, I am getting off nitro's now and I built a H&M NO STEP 3 with a 2700KV motor which I hope will be very nice...
Old 01-13-2010, 04:05 PM

I don't know about weights and bow heights with a gyro but I use a 401 on my rudder on my 27 in v hull electric it is kind of nice in little chop becase I run a big 4 v blade cleaver on a 3 in stinger so when the boat jumps if the prop hits first you have to be quick to keep the boat from kicking sideways and when you are a fair distance it is sometime hard to tell which way to steer but the gyro knows
Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
grael

Big is certainly better when you are running in the sea, but design is also very important.
You are much better off with a deep V hull, and even most of those aren't designed very well to be run as speed boats.
I design my own boat hulls, but there is a boat that's designed on similar principals to those I've found to be important, that's already hugely successful in offshore racing:
http://www.ocke.se/onedesign/4_browser/index.html
http://www.himfr.com/d-p113769319011...at_New_Sealed/
http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=R1100_T

These are the key factors:
*Deep V for a soft ride in rough sea
*Light to reduce displaced volume and increase speed.
*No warp in planing surfaces.
*Mimimum surface area in contact with the water.

Speed boats generally run back heavy to lift as much front hull out of the water as possible, i.e. the weight is parked as far back as possible.
This makes a boat unstable going into strong winds, so you'll see thousands of flips on youtube from boats that are not aerodynamically balanced against their centre of gravity.

The Ocke Mannerfelt boat shown in the links above is designed to operate under these constraints, and it does a great job of it, watch some youtube video of the boat in rough conditions, and you'll see it gliding rather than bouncing.

Also, have a look at my boat over in rcu videos: http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/TyRap-Jet-boat - my latest design is an aggressively stepped hull, watch how flat it rides, even in waves.
Length of waves compared to the length of your boat is also an important factor, certain distances between waves will make your boat struggle, so the design has to be really good if you want to see good performance. There's some pictures and progress notes on my "TyRap" boat on the all things unofficial jetboat thread on about the last 4 pages.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
NobodyFamous

I have thought of this as well (running in the ocean) because I live off the minus basin (bay of fundy) and it is salt water.

My concern is not the waves, but the salt/dirty water.  Is it OK to run it through for cooling? (I am thinking more for a gasser then electric)
Old 01-14-2010, 07:14 PM

I think you would be ok if you ran something like wd40 or what ever after rinsing it out aluminum gets a quick corrision that is made worse by heat we were always concerned about aluminum heads ect. on race boats so often we gave up the weight and went with fresh water cooling never saw that on a model i bet you could build a little heat exchanger and make that work here I go off on one of those trips back to the first thing if you let the white film build up you will lose a lot of cooling (acts as an insulator) hope this helps 500575
Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 PM
13BT

You could ask the guy who made this video for some tips!

His club races in the ocean.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQKuwwp4Vog[/youtube]
Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 AM
brodjack

We run in salt water all the time with our gas boats,no problems.
Just make sure your radio boxes are well built and waterproof and rinse all the hull and hardware as soon as you get home from the lake with fresh water.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:39 PM
gonggongboy

The best boat by far to run in the oceans is the MHZ Zinetix at 96in long and 125cc. Sounds like a blast.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 PM

you sure that one doesn't have a driver? sounds big enough.