Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

engine test stand

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 PM
andybenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine test stand

hey, ive got like 15 nitro motors that need testing out, most of them dont fit in anything ive got so im looking to manufacture a test stand out of 2x4s and i figured that it would be worth my time to check and see if any one had built one similar and if they had, if i could maybe see some pictures of so i can get an idea of what i am getting into,\

thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Motardmadness

Default RE: engine test stand

custom build one out of metal

Old 01-18-2010, 11:26 PM
jpilkinton

Here is my Test/Break-In stand I just got finished:
I have made several hubs for different spur gears. The engine mounts are fully adjustable. Just need to make mounts for big blocks and the smaller engines(SH07).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42391.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1359355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27622.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1359356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13295.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1359357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95566.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1359358  
Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 AM
andybenton

while i appriciate the enthusiasm from the metal department i dont have the equiptment or the money to throw at that kind of stand. i have enough scrap wood to build one of my own, so i assume that i will just have to accomplish this lol
Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 AM
jpilkinton

Now before I started making this stand, I did go to a hobby shop and buy a couple of engine mounts, fuel line, and what-nots to built a cheap stand. Anthing that will hold the engine will do just fine.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything can be made to work. I do suggest getting an airplane propellor as a load. Having only a flywheel, will let them run, but WOT can get out of hand pretty easily with no load. Plus the prop wash keeps them cool.

You also need some sort of control for the carb. Some linkage wire and a a scrap of wood with some holes could even work. Bend the end of the rod at 90Dewg and put it in the closest hole to start. Have extra holes for higher rpms.

Try Googling "RC nitro engine test stand" to get some ideas. Use the IMAGE Search on Google to find things quicker.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Mickstix

JP Thats a sweet stand!! Did you also make the exhaut header or is that a standard item?? Looks killer either way! Nice job!!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 AM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

JP Thats a sweet stand!! Did you also make the exhaut header or is that a standard item?? Looks killer either way! Nice job!!
Thanks bro.
The header is from my TT Nitro Ducati motorcycle. Well actually the engine and header is from my motorcycle. I have just found out that a OS LA10 exhaust pipe fits on these small block side exhaust engines. Will try that next.
I agree, a prop would be the easiest way of putting a load on the engine. That was the way I broke in my SH 12's. And then I wanted something so I could use the clutch so I built this stand. When using a prop, I did have to cover the head cause the temps would not get high enough for break-in.