Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thinking of jumping ship from Futaba to Hitec

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of jumping ship from Futaba to Hitec

ORIGINAL: Pippin

But I would rather prefer spending 30$ more per plane and get Futaba (I use Sanwa myself but I like Futaba as well). If you get a 10ch warbird these mentioned 30 bucks are a piece of cake. What are 30$ anyway? I would strongly recommend a 10ch system too.

Imagine, your next plane should be a Texan II with retracs, steerable front wheel, dual elevator servos, in short, all these amenities of a modern 10ch Tx used. With the A9, you have to find a compromise. Personally, I would not shift any $ for an upcoming compromise. With a 10ch in your hangar you can dream about lot´s of nice planes with lot of features.
But with Futaba it's not $30 more if you want to use 10 channels... you have to jump to the 14CH RX which is $200 ($100 more than the Optima 9) in order to use more than 8 channels. To use 8 channels it's $40 more than the Aurora using 9 channels. The Aurora's 9 channels are fully assignable and proportional. I know the 10C had only 8 proportional channels and 2 "bang" "bangs!"Perhaps the 10CG's are proportional but you still pay quite a price to use the additional 2 channels, or even one for that matter.

Let's count the channels in your Texan II:
1. Aileron
2. Elevator
3. Throttle
4. Rudder
5. Retract
6. Aileron 2
7. Elev 2
8. Flap
9. Flap 2
10.Steerable nose gear. (Y'd to rudder for Aurora)

So, you must use the $200 for the Futaba and at least nine channels must be proportional. You can't even get away with the $140 8ch RX without Y'ing the ailerons or elevator.

Hmmmm!?!?!?!

Mike.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Mike, you bring the point home - To use 10 channels you have to buy a 14 channel receiver! if you could capitalize numbers I would...

That isn't a very inexpensive receiver and to be honest - I wouldn't expect it to be. Still - I'm quite keen on the 9 channel field of radios and quite pleased with my 9C.

I'm sure the aurora will be a good purchase once I feel the need for a change.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were 3 of use using hitec optic 6 radios at our field. These were not 2.4 but Ithought I'd say something anyway. It was weird directly out in front of us on the runway covering 75% of the runway at about 50 feet up there was a dead spot. We constantly lost comunitaction with our planes. I almost lost a reactor and my buddy did loose one of his trainers because of it. This deadspot just only started to happen last year. We all jumped ship to Futaba 7c 2.4 (me) and the others got spectrum 2.4. I haven't had a single problem with my futaba 7c and the spectrums seem to be working great...

I heard from others of the exact same problem with the hitec optic 6. There was speculation that some devices on the hydro poles needed to be adjusted and that this was the problem. I didn't wait... I have no idea what the hitec optima 2.4 are like.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 PM
psb667

the futaba 8 that just released last month seems like a better deal to me.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Skaluf

ORIGINAL: submikester

Mike, you bring the point home - To use 10 channels you have to buy a 14 channel receiver! if you could capitalize numbers I would...

That isn't a very inexpensive receiver and to be honest - I wouldn't expect it to be. Still - I'm quite keen on the 9 channel field of radios and quite pleased with my 9C.

I'm sure the aurora will be a good purchase once I feel the need for a change.
Actually, the 10CG comes with the R6014FS 14 channel receiver.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: twn

There were 3 of use using hitec optic 6 radios at our field. These were not 2.4 but Ithought I'd say something anyway. It was weird directly out in front of us on the runway covering 75% of the runway at about 50 feet up there was a dead spot. We constantly lost comunitaction with our planes. I almost lost a reactor and my buddy did loose one of his trainers because of it. This deadspot just only started to happen last year. We all jumped ship to Futaba 7c 2.4 (me) and the others got spectrum 2.4. I haven't had a single problem with my futaba 7c and the spectrums seem to be working great...

I heard from others of the exact same problem with the hitec optic 6. There was speculation that some devices on the hydro poles needed to be adjusted and that this was the problem. I didn't wait... I have no idea what the hitec optima 2.4 are like.

Absolutely right NOT 2.4 so not much to do with this thread. I'm sure the Hitec 2.4 module with Optima rx's would have solved the problem, same as the other brands.

The problem should be investigated with Industry Canada/ BC Hydro? There could be some unsuspecting visitors that would fall prey to that errant transformer or whatever it is.
You have now given me a reason not to participate in your fun flies.

Now, back to the regular programming.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: Pippin

But I would rather prefer spending 30$ more per plane and get Futaba (I use Sanwa myself but I like Futaba as well). If you get a 10ch warbird these mentioned 30 bucks are a piece of cake. What are 30$ anyway? I would strongly recommend a 10ch system too.

Imagine, your next plane should be a Texan II with retracs, steerable front wheel, dual elevator servos, in short, all these amenities of a modern 10ch Tx used. With the A9, you have to find a compromise. Personally, I would not shift any $ for an upcoming compromise. With a 10ch in your hangar you can dream about lot´s of nice planes with lot of features.
But with Futaba it's not $30 more if you want to use 10 channels... you have to jump to the 14CH RX which is $200 ($100 more than the Optima 9) in order to use more than 8 channels. To use 8 channels it's $40 more than the Aurora using 9 channels. The Aurora's 9 channels are fully assignable and proportional. I know the 10C had only 8 proportional channels and 2 ''bang'' ''bangs!''Perhaps the 10CG's are proportional but you still pay quite a price to use the additional 2 channels, or even one for that matter.

Let's count the channels in your Texan II:
1. Aileron
2. Elevator
3. Throttle
4. Rudder
5. Retract
6. Aileron 2
7. Elev 2
8. Flap
9. Flap 2
10.Steerable nose gear. (Y'd to rudder for Aurora)

So, you must use the $200 for the Futaba and at least nine channels must be proportional. You can't even get away with the $140 8ch RX without Y'ing the ailerons or elevator.

Hmmmm!?!?!?!

Mike.

Not to mention most of these functions could be "Y"ed. I see no reason for myself ever needing more than 9 channels so this radio is right in my market. Rarely do I see aircraft that truly need that many proportional channels. It is more about the mixing features it seems that someone would drop $1500 on a 12- 14 channel radio or whatever they cost. My personal price point is $500.00 I have no desire to spend more than that.
The telemetry is here and now with Hitec. I know nothing of what Futaba has coming "down the pipe" They missed the boat with me on that aspect of the technology. I am sure all of there sensors and perifferals will be exhorbinately priced anyway.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 AM
GhostRider32

Mike or AT, correct me if I'm wrong.

You can use the Aurora to use 10, 12, 14 or however many servos you want WITHOUT using a matchbox or Y-harnesses.

Two $50 6 channel Aurora receivers on 1 plane gives a total of 12 individual servo inputs. Still cheaper than a Futaba 14 reciever or JR 12 receiver or any other receiver and a matchbox. For years, some people with big planes flew all of the left side control surfaces on one 72 receiver and all of the right side surfaces on a different receiver. Gives redundancy in case of a receiver failure and gives the ability to use way more servos without a matchbox.

With the ability to link the Aurora receivers this way, the Aurora is equal to a 14mz FOR MY purposes for 15% of the price.

Futaba and JR have priced themselves out of my business. Their getting their butt handed to them by Hitec with the Aurora. It is totally self inflicted. Both Futaba and JR left the door wide open for this to happen by pricing their products so high and by dragging their feet on releasing radios with new features. They've played a game for so long that technology costs a lot of money and their going to charge the consumer out the wazoo for it. Well, now their paying for it. It's not as expensive to build these radios as they claim or Hitec couldn't have done what they did by offering a radio that mops the floor with the others for such a low price. MHO. YMMV.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

MikeL was exactly correct in post #9. They are a business, not a neighbor. For that reason, they or any other company will understand if enough folks buy the opposition's product. Only then will they respond with competitive pricing. After all, it is a business. If people continue to buy ANY product, the seller of that product has no incentive to become more competitive.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

ghostrider - can't you use multiple receivers on the other brands, without having to buy 12-14 channel receivers?

I know that I can link multiple AR7000's to the same model in my DX7, or even in the same model on my 9303 w/Spektrum module.

I agree, the A9 from Hitec looks like a sweet radio, I just wish someone would make one with crossed trims without having to get inside and re-wire things.. I've been told the trim switches are not re-assignable in the A9, I was hoping for that..
Old 01-20-2010, 01:24 PM
DougV

Well with Futaba and Spektrum/JR I can use multiple receivers. Also, with ONE Futaba FASST 14 channel rx and my 12FG, I can have a total of 24 proportional channels using this: http://futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futm4158.html

Doug.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
RogerParrett

ORIGINAL: DougV

Well with Futaba and Spektrum/JR I can use multiple receivers. Also, with ONE Futaba FASST 14 channel rx and my 12FG, I can have a total of 24 proportional channels using this: http://futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futm4158.html

Doug.
Doug... Unfortunately, the 12FG won't work with the expander if you are running 2.4Ghz. Found out by experimenting, and confirmed by the documentation that came with the 1.5/1.6 12FG firmware upgrade. For some reason, it only works when running 72Mhz. Still, a very sweet setup.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:21 PM
14MZ flyer

Hi Guys

Same scenario with me, I own a 14MZ. Got one of the first ones to be inported into the UK a couple of years ago. Since then I have had nothing but trouble with it. I am now on my third touch screen, and fifth service to recalibrate the screen. It keeps locking me out and the body is peeling all over, for £1400 it was supposed to be the last radio I ever bought.

It now has to go back to Ripmax to be recallibrated yet again, so I bought an Aurora9 to keep me flying while the 14MZ is in for service, what an absolutely brilliant radio, easy to use, easy to program, does almost as much as the 14MZ at a fraction of the cost.

I am now considering selling the 14MZ after service for £300 just so I can buy the UK spec Aurora when we get them in the summertime. Mine is the US spec at present so I can't use 72mhz.

I have only ever used Futaba equipment, ever since I was a child now I am 46 years old, and I feel the same, Futaba is getting too expensive and quality is decreasing, look at the problems with their FAST system! So at present I am converting all my new models to Hitec 2.4. If I do get a UK spec Aurora all my models will be flying with that.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

With JR/Spektrum, anyway, you are limited by the number of channels the Tx has. You can Bind to two 6ch Rx's at the same time, but you still only get 6 channels. You can split the servos up between each Rx, but only Ch1-Ch6 are usable, even with a 9ch Tx. I guess you can get a Channel Expander that will give you some extra Non Proportional channels. I have never used a Channel Expander but that is what I understand.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 14MZ flyer Hi Guys Same scenario with me, I own a 14MZ. Got one of the first ones to be inported into the UK a couple of years ago. Since then I have had nothing but trouble with it. I am now on my third touch screen, and fifth service to recalibrate the screen. It keeps locking me out and the body is peeling all over, for £1400 it was supposed to be the last radio I ever bought. It now has to go back to Ripmax to be recallibrated yet again, so I bought an Aurora9 to keep me flying while the 14MZ is in for service, what an absolutely brilliant radio, easy to use, easy to program, does almost as much as the 14MZ at a fraction of the cost. I am now considering selling the 14MZ after service for £300 just so I can buy the UK spec Aurora when we get them in the summertime. Mine is the US spec at present so I can't use 72mhz. I have only ever used Futaba equipment, ever since I was a child now I am 46 years old, and I feel the same, Futaba is getting too expensive and quality is decreasing, look at the problems with their FAST system! So at present I am converting all my new models to Hitec 2.4. If I do get a UK spec Aurora all my models will be flying with that.
The Aurora is the same worldwide..
The only difference is with the frequency of the optional extra Spectra Pro 35, 36, 40, 41 & 72 Mhz modules - which are likely to be only manufactured if the separate entity distributors for each country indent sufficient for a production run of each of the those frequencies. 72 Mhz has been confirmed but you will need to refer to
AMERANG SALES DEPARTMENT COMMERCE WAY, LANCING,
WEST SUSSEX, BN 158TE, UNITED KINGDOM 01903-765496 01903-753643
[email protected]
regarding the likelihood of a Spectra Pro 35Mhz module, approved for use in UK, becoming available.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
DougV

Roger,

Did you try the expander with the new R6014HS?

Doug.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:52 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

Mike or AT, correct me if I'm wrong.

You can use the Aurora to use 10, 12, 14 or however many servos you want WITHOUT using a matchbox or Y-harnesses.
Yes, but... If you have two 6ch RX's you still can only assign 6 channels. You also won't have individual adjustments of each servo if using the same channel; it is like having an electronic y-harness.

Mike.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 PM
GhostRider32

I thought that was the way it was.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Pippin

Lot of people get 6 to, lets say, 9ch radios but fly models with only 3 or 4 channels needed. I myself have a simple pattern trainer with only 4 servos but a 8 or 10ch Rx in my hanger. I might right size the setup down to a 6 or 7ch Rx. Still, there will be 2 or 3 empty channel connections. That does not hurt me nor the model.

Using a computer radio I do not like to have on servo in the line that is y-ed to the Rx and can only individually adjusted by a external devise. A steerable front wheel is easier adjusted if pluged into its own Rx channel and mixed with the rudder. If I get a computer radio I do not want to compromise.

A 9ch radio is not the same as a 10ch radio in the same manner as a 6ch radio is not a 7ch. Of course, all hold their own places on the markte.
The only problem might be Futaba´s new 8FG with a potential of "almost" 10ch but only a 8ch Rx in the set. But how about the A9 or SD-10 with the 7ch Rx in the box?
The street price of the Futaba 14ch Rx is not a deterent on its own if you need 10ch )still, only 4ch not used like in the case above.

Because of the small price difference between the different brands, I would rather choose a system that suits present and future requirements (and compatibility of the once accumulated existing stuff). In that respect some people might wish to see a 10/12ch Hitec radio on the market to use their already bought Hitec stuff in case they cast an eye of a more complex model plane.

Thus, for me, it comes not only down to personal taste put present/future model requirements as well as equipment compatibility. Here, I would choose a current Futaba radio over the Hitec.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

try to get the thread when they really compare the 10CG futaba radio with the hitec....and you will see which one is the best.....there is a lot of feactures that didnt mention about Futaba cause of course they didnt want the people to know about it...for my Fut.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: JOHNS3D

try to get the thread when they really compare the 10CG futaba radio with the hitec....and you will see which one is the best.....there is a lot of feactures that didnt mention about Futaba cause of course they didnt want the people to know about it...for my Fut.
Please post here!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:01 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

I haven't noticed.. Are all 9 of the aurora channels proportional or is one on/off?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 PM
bgw45

I did it. I rewarded HiTec for developing what I had hoped would be a great system. Yes, I have flown it in both a 100 cc Edge and a Twist 150 ( both with the 7 channel single antenna receiver ) without any excitement at all. Solid link to the airplane at all times. So far.... so good.

But, I'm keeping my Futaba 2.4 stuff for a while till I'm convinced there are no "big" or "hidden" issues. Don't sell old faithful too quickly. It does help that I can afford to do this but I have never received "good" money from used RC equipment. I still have a 9C, 10C and now the A9. With airplane flying/transmitter in hand I'm still not sure which I prefer. They both work great. The A9 is hands down the easiest to program with more features than the 10C.

Time will tell. So far the A9 is a great radio.

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

If I get one, I'll be selling my 9 super with a 72 synthesized module + spektrum module and probably 8 receivers...

Are the switches on the Aurora layed out the same as the 9c?

Mainly the spring loaded switch. Is it on the back left or can it be moved?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 PM
GhostRider32

ORIGINAL: canavanbob

ORIGINAL: JOHNS3D

Please post here!
I love my Aurora so I'll post here. If Hitec left something out about the Futaba 10c or JR 9303, please let us know.

http://www.hitecaurora.com/Comparison_Chart.pdf
Old 01-22-2010, 02:26 AM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

I haven't noticed.. Are all 9 of the aurora channels proportional or is one on/off?
Yes, all 9 channels are proportional. All channels are also assignable as are all the switches.

Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.