Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Gee Bee R-2: "Official" Build & "Show-off" thread

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Gee Bee R-2: "Official" Build & "Show-off" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gee Bee R-2:

ORIGINAL: YukonBlue

I have a 1/4 scale Paige Aviation Gee Bee new in the box w/ glass parts (cowl, pants). It's for sale if you are interested.
pm sent
Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Yukon Blue, what are you asking for it?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pittss1t

hi guy's
Anyone know where I can get Don Neil Plans?

James
Get the Vern Clements plans! Get the Vern Clements plans! Get the Vern Clements plans! Did I mention Vern Clements has plans? I have them and they are the best!!!! You will have the most accurate Gee Bee R-1, R-2 (Jimmy Doolittle's mount), Goon, Firecracker, Hall Bulldog and a whole host of airplanes if you use his plans. Get them before Mrs. Clements passes. They are the best value for the buck. The fullscale repro- R-2 used Vern's plans. Just ask Delmar Benjamin.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 PM
pittss1t
My Feedback: (53)

hi how much do you want for the kit

Jmaes
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Where do I get the Clements plans?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: JL1

Where do I get the Clements plans?
Send a self addressed stamped envelope to Mrs Vern Clements, 308 Palo Alto Drive, Caldwell, Idaho 83605 for your inquiry. A Google search should direct you, too. The plans are 10 sheets of highly detailed drawings. Worth every penny- $75 (?) For all of you Gee Bee R-1 and R-2 fans the colors are red and white with a dark blue separation pinstripe- not black. The R-1 is the one Jimmy Doolittle flew and is the 'baddest' of the bunch! It had the BIG P&W Wasp (TD) of 1344 c.i. I have a 1/4 'Z' in the bones. I've built a Model 'X' that competed in the All American Cirrous Derby piloted by Lowell Bayles who went on to fly the 'Z'.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For all of you Gee Bee R-1 and R-2 fans the colors are red and white with a dark blue separation pinstripe- not black.
ARUP,

Blue outline and not black?

Would you be so kind as to state the source for that information? I would appreciate it.

Charles
Old 01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

For all of you Gee Bee R-1 and R-2 fans the colors are red and white with a dark blue separation pinstripe- not black.
ARUP,

Blue outline and not black?

Would you be so kind as to state the source for that information? I would appreciate it.

Charles
Hi- Delmar Benjamin and Steve Wolfe, the replica R-2 builders, were approached by a person who was a friend of the Granville Brothers who happened to have an origional piece of fabric from the R-1's wings. It is documented on the video about the 'build'. Delmar notes the stripe is blue, verbally, as the man with the fabric wanted him to know that! So, if you want to build a scale version of the origional, then, make the separation stripe blue. If you are building a scale model of the replica, make it black. I think the Gee Bees, and especially the R-1, are the neatest airplanes ever built!!! I am going to build the R-1 eventually and will make it 'the best ever' when my skillset gets up to speed.

For you guys building the Devine Gee Bees- be sure and get the landing gear the correct length if you want a better scale 'stance' and don't forget the wires! Otherwise it is fine. A buddy has one of those kits and it is pretty neat. Personally, I'd 'do' a built up job.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ARUP,

Your information is noted, and thanks for that. I appreciate it.

Incidentally, I've had interest in the Gee Bee's for well over 25 years. Can't seem to get around to finishing any one of them except for the Y.

I built Don Neill's 1/3 Gee Bee Z years ago. Still unfinished but framed. I built the gear for the 1/3 Z and offered sets for customers, at that time, late 80's early 90's. No longer offer the 1/3 scale gear. Someone else offers it.

I framed, mostly actually, two 1/4 Z's but sold one. Yes, that I now regret, but the guy was really nice and deserves the model. He'll do a fine job with it, I'm sure.

This is my bashed Paige 1/5 Z. Can't get that finished either. A great Paige kit to begin with and now with plenty of changes, looks scale!

Luckily, I do graphicxs/masks and offer them for all the Gee Bee's. I'll paint my models but will not clear the vinyl lettering.

Glad to see there's interest in these airplanes. Not the easiest builds and not the easiest model to fly.

Kudos to all!

Charles

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2010, 03:45 PM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a Page Aviation 1/4 GB R2 NIB with 'glass cowl and wheel pants for sale. I built and flew the Page 1/5 R2 a couple of years ago, and can honestly say Adrian's 1/5 GB is a smooth flying plane. The 1/4 scale kit is very similar to the 1/5 scale kit, which means if you closely follow Adrian's instructions, you should have a lighter airframe than other GBs and a great flying airplane. If interested, send me an email:
[email protected]
Old 01-22-2010, 05:04 PM
jvino

CanDo,

PM & Email sent!!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 PM
YukonBlue

I listed it for $425 plus shipping in the MarketPlace and Constrictor said he'd take it. So far I'm still waiting for payment and will give it time to arrive. I'll be reposting it if it does not sell to him.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

The payment was sent my money order the same day you posted the ad.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:02 PM
ROCKY1405
My Feedback: (6)

I built a Haafke .46 sized "Sorta" GeeBee R-2 about 7 years ago and have been flying and enjoying it ever since. Its a great flyer and was fun to build although I had to increase the l.g. wire diameter to keep them from bending on even really easy landings. I also found the wing to be very flexible if built according to plans and was able to fix that by adding diagonal 1/2 ribs between the wing ribs. Its a hoot to fly and it makes me want to build a bigger one. Years ago I bought a Quadra-42 gas engine and have had a lot of fun flying with that engine - I've been flying long enough that motor has sentimental value to me and right now it hasn't a home so I'm wondering if anybody kits or sells plans for a GeeBee R-2 of the size that this engine would be applicable for. I flew the motor for 10 years on an 80", 17 pound, Midwest Extra 300 and it flew it really nicely.
Advice from you fellow GeeBee affectianadoes would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rocky1405 [8D]
Old 04-21-2010, 01:45 AM
bnicolet

i am interested in the paint mask will measure wing tommorrow. mine looks like crap
[email protected]
Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 AM
bnicolet

i measured my plane and i think i did something wrong or got wrong plans
wide 7" and length 43" is this possible and fusealge is approx. 24" long
let me know if you can make a mask for me or not
brent