Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My Wife Dont Understand

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My Wife Dont Understand

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 AM
dignlivn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Wife Dont Understand

ORIGINAL: paero-RCU

Have this framed in my shop:

IT COSTS ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT TO HAVE A MISTRESS AS IT DOES TO FLY BIG R/C AIRPLANES..............I WONDER WHICH ONE MY WIFE WOULD RATHER I HAD???

No problems here!!!

LOL,

Mistresses are for Politicans and Golfers,

Bob

Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dignlivn

LOL,

Mistresses are for Politicans and Golfers,

Bob

Definitely. I have a hard enough time keeping one happy.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife lives in California, I live in Michigan...been this way for a couple of years. I haven't gotten a divorce yet because thats good money I can spend on planes and not lawyers.-BW
Old 01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
skylane_182

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

How can I get my wife to understand this wonderful hobby ? I do not get into sports, hunting , fishing,or golf. And this has worked very well for keeping me on the wagon . (P.S. I do lose my mind with airplanes.)

I may have gotten lucky, but what turned things around for me was when I managed to get the wife and kids out to the field for our clubs fun fly event! I took extra care to make sure they were comfortable with some camping chairs and pop-up cover for shade. Turns out she enjoyed the weather, taking pictures and meeting everyone! It has also helped a great deal that my 9yr old daughter suddenly has the spark to fly and we are building her first plane as we speak (PT-40)!!

It may cut into my budget a bit, but seeing my daughter excited about the hobby is priceless!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 PM
crossman

My wife's main hobby is quilting and sewing, so she understands the satisfaction of building or creating something. What she doesn't understand is why I would risk destroying what I have built by putting it in the air. She has been to the field with me and said that she would rather watch the others fly, because if they crash, she doesn't have to put up with the aftermath. As far as the money side of it, we each put a little away as we can to spend as we see fit. I spend most of mine at the LHS and I waste the rest.

I built my first plane about 14 years ago, but because our daughter was very active with soccer, softball, girl scouts, martial arts, etc., I never took the time to learn to fly, She is now in her second year of college (on an academic scholarship), so I have the time. I would have liked to become more involved in R/C earlier, but I wouldn't trade the time that I spent with her for anything.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:39 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

One ray of hope is in the number of women who follow football, compared to thirty years ago. That doesn't do much for me though, since my wife hates football too.

"A man will marry a woman hoping she will never change. A woman marries a man hoping he will change. Both are usually disappointed."-Albert Einstein
Old 01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
TKE flyer

I've been married almost ten years now and my wife tolerates the hobby. She thinks its geeky so she'll make fun of it a bit. So everytime I bring a plane home she just asks, "What do I get?". I let her buy her shoes and purses and she lets me buy my planes. We just keep the score card even and everything is cool. [8D]
Old 01-22-2010, 01:44 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Minnflyer has a classic line that I love!!

Just tell her "When I was single I had one airplane and lots of women, now I have one women and lots of airplanes. Which way do you prefer??"

Ken

Old 01-22-2010, 02:03 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Ditto on the wife thinking its geeky.  She says " Are you going to play airplanes?" 
But I spent 30 years bringing home the bacon working on 747's so she knows where my heart is and she supports it.  She got me a plane, radio, and 4 st engine for Christmas.  Also the money is not an issue as I get a monthly check from the VA and that is what I use for RC and golf.  The wife is our accountant and pays out all our bills.  I have no idea what we have in the bank from one month to the next.  Dont care either.  Im pretty lucky. 
Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
joekeyo

One time I was bummed out about crashing. My wife asked if I wanted to continue doing the hobby. After I said "Yes", she told me to go buy another airplane.

She tried the buddy box with an instructor but did not get "the bug". Probably better that way anyway, usually if she has any interest at all in my pastimes, she ends up doing them better than I. Fishing would be a good example, she really doesn't like it, but if I talk her into it she usually out fishes me.

The only thing that would make it better is if she was interested but not interested for herself and still supportive is fine with me.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:29 PM
therealcrazy8

Yeah my GF loves my geekyness but my geekyness also brings the bacon home sine I do IT work. Doesn't get much more geeky then that.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM
joeheren
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Campgems

ORIGINAL: richg99

I have many hobbies..and have had many more over 49 years of marriage. My wife hasn't understood most of them. It isn't necessary, as long as she lets me enjoy them all. ...she does...... and is very supportive. Rich
I'm right behind you at 45 years. My wife, like yours doen'st understand my hobbys either. Lately, she has taken up a couple of her own, and see seems more suportive of mine now. Of course, maybe she just wants me out of the house for a few hours so she can have some quite time.

By the way, your hobbies are not the only thing she doesn't understand. And I'm sure that the opposite is true also. That's marrage. Enjoy it.

Don

Don....very well said. i am in your same boat.
joe
Old 01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

Brenda doesn't understand it, but tolerates it. Although she made me sign a contract that I wouldn't buy another plane for 1 year, unless I sell some of the ones I have. by the way I just sold one of the electrics. It's the old cliche' "For those that understand, no explaination is needed" "For those that don't understand, no explaination is possible".
Old 01-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Revy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Signed contract?! Verbal agreements only! LOL
Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 PM
goirish

Let me see Bill, that was signed in triplet wasn't it? I mean isn't that the way the marines do it? If I had as many planes as my wife does shoes I would be tower hobby #2
Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 PM
budchugger

Strip clubs or R/C airplanes, I gave her the choice. Now she does not say a word about my hobby.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 PM
brown2x2
My Feedback: (35)

My wife get's it. My girlfriend doesn't.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I am very much a happily married man. 33 years old and married 8 years, I've already beaten the averages. I know when I'm getting too selfish when she acts hurt by my latest purchase. I take breaks from the hobby when I know she would rather I do something else, and she takes time to watch our little one by herself so I can go out to the flying field alone. I learned the hard way that the hobby has to be a gift from her to me, not a lesser of two evils or something that she just has to put up with. After all, I wouldn't want her going out and buying jewelry for herself all the time without even talking to me about it.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
AlphaOrion

ORIGINAL: rwright142

@Campgems - I have a 6 yr old grand daughter who is in Germany now (son-in-law is stationed there so my daughter and grand daughter are there too) so I know what you mean. We use Skype to communicate with them at lest 3-4 times a week (we can see and hear them over the internet) so that helps when we miss them. Check it out - it's free skype.com. All you need is a webcam if you want to see them. The video, even on a wireless connection on a laptop is decent.

As for the wife - like others have said as long as the bills are paid first mine has no problem. I presented it to her like this: you collect purses and shoes, I collect airplanes. I could be going out to the bars and drink the money away. No problems.
I love the purses and shoes akin to RC Flying explanation, we both have the same "agreement"!

I find it funny that I am now a Married R/C Flyer, and it was until these past months that I had to "explain", even though she knew about it firsthand. Success in this endavour is a combination of:
1. Pay attention to her (In general and in the bedroom )
2. Pay the bills
3. Be clear about her having independence to pursue her own hobbies (don't criticize shopping sprees, I have seen it as the equivalent to our hobby in the female world)
4. If she occasionally gets flustered about the hobby, don't take it personally, it will pass.
5. Also, the fact that you are using the hobby to achieve a goal like quitting a habit like smoking or alcohol, is an excellent reward mechanism.

I have found it is great to have her come in and talk about her day or any issues she is having, while I build. I occasionally pay the same courtesy by relocating to where she is around the house and chatting. (In the meantime I am doing some mundane R/C chore like labelling servo leads, allowing epoxy to dry, etc.)

I have also explained that when we have kids, it will be a great thing to do family wise, and it will get kids off her back when she needs time for herself!

Hope these tips help!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Craven
My Feedback: (8)

Easy....tell her to let you do your thing with rc or you're going back to drinking.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 PM
CKLLOYD

I GUEST I AM EVRY LUCKY I HAVE BEEN MARRIED 24 YEARS.. NOT ONLY DID I FLY RC'S BUT ALSO MADE WIRE WHEELS FOR RC PLANES AND SHE WOULD HELP ME SPOKE UP THE RIMS EVERY NIGHT.. A COUPLE YEARS LATER I WENT AND GOT MY LIC TO FLY THE REAL THING.. NOW SINCE MY HEALTH IS GONE DOWN THE TUBES I AM BACK INTO RC'S AGINE AND SHE SUPPORTS ME ALL THE WAY
SHE HAS QUITE AFEW HOBBIES OF HER KNOW AND SHE LOVE TO GIVE ME A BAD TIME WHEN I BUY A NEW ITEM FOR MY HOBBY BUT THEN I REMIND HER THAT I SOLD SOMETHING THAT I HAD TO BUY THE NEW ITEM AND I TELL HER THAT SHE COULD SELL SOMETHING OF HERS TO FINANCE SOMETHING SHE WANTS.. SHE REPLYES NO WAY BUT SHE STILLS THINKS THAT SHE SHOULD GET HALF OF WHAT EVER I SELL.. I JUST LOL. AND KICK HER OUT OF MY HOBBY ROOM AND TELL HER DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT....
Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I've been married to my current wife 21+ years now. We came up with a simple solution about 18 years ago. We sat down and budgeted our needs, and built in personal allowances. We then opened two additional checking accounts, for a total of three - hers, mine, and ours. We get paid monthly, so we each get our allowances and the rest goes into the common account. If she wants to buy sixteen pairs of shoes with her money - that's her business. If I want to buy airplane stuff or tools with mine - she doesn't care. Anything we buy with the common account we discuss and agree on. Takes ALL the questions, resentments, and pettiness out of our finances.....
Old 01-22-2010, 11:54 PM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: brown2x2

My wife get's it. My girlfriend doesn't.

LOL,

So what's your handicap

Bob

OP, Great Thread
Old 01-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been with the same woman for 37 years and was flying this hobby before she came along. She didn't understand my fixation with model planes.

In the 80's I got a burr up my butt and spent a whole lot of money getting a pilot's license. The career move didn't work out and I thought I'd never hear the end about the tens of thounds of dollars I'd spent getting to multi commercial instructor level. She couldn't understand.

Back in the 90's I brought home my first computer, a brand new AST 286 that I didn't know how to use and didn't really have a need for. Got started with the internet and caught Hades about all the wasted time on it. She didn't understand that at all.

Crashed a plane here and there and had to replace them so caught a lot of grief about the wasted money and time. She coudn't understand.

In 2005 I replied to an ad I saw here on RCU looking for people that had a lot of experience in flying big models who could also handle being away from home for long periods of time. So because of a computer, the internet, big r/c airplanes, and a pilot's license I ended up in a new career that quadrupled my previous income.

Now she truly understands. Now I have several big airplanes, gas engines, 4 computers, and work online everyday. And every bit of that without one negative word anymore about the hobbies or the money spent. She seems to like my hobbies now
Old 01-23-2010, 04:01 AM
aerofly0610

Been married almost a year. My wife thinks my airplanes are cool. I even showed her how to use Real flight, and she thought it was fun! I dont ever expect her to build, fly or even understand my hobby. I encourage her to get into scrap-booking and will take her scrap-book shopping. I don't care about scrap-booking but a happy wife lets you be happy too. Better yet.. while you are waiting for all your glue to set... take her out for dinner/lunch/coffee and let her feel emotionally connected... she'll be bugging you for your next build so she can get the glue setting time!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.