Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Realistic Pattern Flight Simulator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Realistic Pattern Flight Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Realistic Pattern Flight Simulator

There is a really nice flight simulator I just tried out tonight called the Phoenix RC Flight Simulator 2.5 The simulator comes with a Spektrum DX5 Tx which was nice too. I quickly found that it has a couple of pattern planes built right in. I loaded the most recognizable one (Comp Arf Integral) and tried it out. Wow. It felt realistic. In fact its the most realistic pattern simulator I've flown to date. I increased the aileron throw by 20 degrees, decreased the elevator throw by 20 degrees and it felt very close to my setup. It's particularly good in the stall turns, spin entries and roll entries and exits. It has the best physics I've tried. Even the knife edge loop feels realistic, with a touch of roll during the bottom quarter, for example.

The speed of the plane and the way it responds at radius exits and point roll exits make the simulator look and feel real. With the graphics, speed and feel, it's sometimes hard to distiguish that its actually a simulator when I looked at a video play back. I can't figure out how to upload simulator videos directly, but I did take some video tape from the computer screen. By the way the simulator was loaded on a very old (4 years old) laptop. It runs really well on that old, slower computer.

Video link below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/etocstac.../6/eEoQZQL7MNw

Cheers!

Don
Team JR
Team Spektrum/Horizon
Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Realistic Pattern Flight Simulator

I played with this sim/plane combo for a few minutes and was pretty impressed. I will definitely order one up in the near future.

The physics were pretty good, though I didn't have a chance to play with the throws (elevator was really sensitive), and the graphics and sound were pretty awesome. The sound was so real it made me miss flying a glow pattern plane.

I think this is the best sim for pattern practice out of the few I've tried (Realflight, FSOne, FMS, Clear View, and maybe a couple others).
Old 01-25-2010, 09:19 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don:

Does the sim offer different backgrounds ? (The one on the You Tube looks like the basin of the Grand Canyon). I believe you flew at my home field last summer( airport in

NJ).I'll have to see if my 4 year old Dell laptop is compatible. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM
nicepoz

Hello

My favourite simulator is "aerofly professional deluxe".
Very realistic and comes with F3A airplanes as Beryll and Smaragd etc, that is if you are an F3A pilot.

Regards Roland

Old 01-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Thanks for the input, Don!

I was looking for a simulator, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw Horizon was going to work with Phoenix for a simulator. I'll be ordering one up as well!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got back from the LHS with a Phoenix. I'm installing it now. Looking forward to getting in some good practice!!!
Thanks for the info Don.

Glen
Old 01-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Strat2003

A problem I've had with simulators is that if you set them to keep the ground in view the airplane gets too small too fast, and if you keep the plane size reasonable you lose track of where you are.
Does this one work better in that regard?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,

A quick fix to that issue in real flight is turn on the binocular mode. It creates a window which shows you the orientation of the airplane in reference to where you are "standing." It makes it much easier. I still don't know how useful sims are for pattern except for learning new maneuvers. they are great to expand your skills for stick movements, but I don't think they really help a great deal with box management and such.

Arch
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Strat2003

I'll try the binoc mode, Arch, thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Don Szczur

Thanks for all the inputs. What I found interesting is it has some kind of next generation 3D in the graphics- maybe its the soft shadows and glows. For example, on the outside loop half inside loop, you actually get perspective on the radius of the maneuver- particularly at the transiton point between the loops.

Regarding elevator, I reduced the throws by 20% which felt right on for me. In addition to increasing the aileron throw by 20%, I also increased the aileron length by 10% and the rudder size by about 10 percent. By the way, I discovered it has a really neat feature "In flight tuning". A small window appears on the left portion of the screen so you can make adjustments real-time while you are flying.

I counted 24 differnet background sites/scenes. They advertise 100 planes, but it is more of an open system-no hangar packs. Its an open system in that regard, with free downloads of new aircraft and flyng sites.

I loaded it on a Dell Inspiron 600M with 512 Meg of RAM. Don't know what grapics card it has, but the computer is not fast. It runs the simulator quite well though.

Here are the details to include recommended system specs from the Horizon site:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=RTM25R5500
Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 PM
wagen017

I was looking at buying Aerofly5 but after reading this I decided for the Phoenix. No disappointment here sofar! I also like the feature that you don't have to pay for upgrades.

I do wonder if there are some more tips regarding trying to fly a line. I tried the binoculars and it works but still. I wonder if there would be any way to put some lines in the air, to form a box. Anybody any idea?

Volkert
Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM
shepga

I've been playing around with Phoenix for a couple of days now. It's a good tool to keep the thumbs and hand eye coordination excercised. Certailny beats doing nothing when the winter cold temperatures keeps you indoors. As for box management the simulator comes complete with an F3A flying field (marked with acurate box lines) and a couple of Sebart patterships to spice up the scenery. You can overlay a sky orientation which gives you light vertical lines each at 15 degrees. Zero degrees lines up with the right edge of the runway. Thirty degrees lines up with the right box line. Ninety degrees lines up with the center box line (and there is a center pole). 150 degrees lines up with the left box line. Go to Flying sites, select Moscow RC-Clup. From the View pull down select Displays then select Show/Hide Sky orientation.

Glen
Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: shepga

I've been playing around with Phoenix for a couple of days now. It's a good tool to keep the thumbs and hand eye coordination excercised. Certailny beats doing nothing when the winter cold temperatures keeps you indoors. As for box management the simulator comes complete with an F3A flying field (marked with acurate box lines) and a couple of Sebart patterships to spice up the scenery. You can overlay a sky orientation which gives you light vertical lines each at 15 degrees. Zero degrees lines up with the right edge of the runway. Thirty degrees lines up with the right box line. Ninety degrees lines up with the center box line (and there is a center pole). 150 degrees lines up with the left box line. Go to Flying sites, select Moscow RC-Clup. From the View pull down select Displays then select Show/Hide Sky orientation.

Glen
Is all this included with the original software package, or is it from additional (free) downloads?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 AM
shepga

All is included in the original software package!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:56 AM
jlkonn

Don,
Can the DSM2 12X or X9303 transmitters be used if you purchase the version of the sim without the DX5?
Thanks!
JLK
Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Don Szczur

Yes, just to to the system pull down menu and select new transmitter. The instruction guide you through setting the new TX.

For non-JR/Spektrum transmitters, specs are at:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...500#quickSpecs
Old 01-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Don Szczur

Hey guys. 7:19 PM East Coast time and its snowing. Who wants to get some practice. Join me for some on-line simulator practice.

From the Phoenix RC simulator, go to multiplayer under pull down menu. Select GO Online, Fill in the Online Sign in (put a name I can recognize) and hit "sign in" select Connecticut Flying. Hit "Join Session"

Joseph is buzzing around, but we'll move to pattern flying if anyone is interested this evening. If there is interest we can do coaching sessions or an on-line, live pattern contest. What do you think?

Regards,
Don
Old 01-30-2010, 07:34 PM
shepga

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately I won't be able to participate this evening but certainly I'll be joining the next one. Count me in in the future.

Glen
Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK guess I have to buy one now. Great idea Don, Mike
Old 01-30-2010, 09:28 PM
shepga

Well I did get a chance to pop in for a quick second, it was allot of fun.

Glen
Old 01-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Jetdesign

I'm totally down for buying one and competing/practicing online.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:48 AM
Pro pattern

Hi all,

Nice nice simulator it seems to be.
Just wondering if it will run on my current setup iMac, i already sent them in e-mail asking
them about mine system, but really hope it will work.

If so, ill be buying one as soon as i receive a replay.
It’s nice to be able to practice, since i’m studying in Holland and don’t really have much time
to fly no more.
This seems like the best solution for now.

And Don,

The coaching sessions or an on-line, Live pattern contest sounds really really sweet.
I could be competing out there while i’m stuck here. hahahha.

Regards,
Danny
Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Don Szczur

Glen (Mr. Shepherd)

Saw you there and looks like we were flying together some. This is really exciting; a new approach. I did some more checking and it looks like there is a voice chat (although I don't have a recording device on this computer). There is, however a chat capability which is really cool. That way we can communicate with each other and other pilots that want to join. What class are you flying? Maybe we can take turns flying and critiquing and see how it works.

Lets shoot for another flying session at 7 PM (east coast time) tonight (Sunday, 31 January). If you or others want to join, lets go for it. I set up a "Pattern Flying" session using the Moscow, Italy flying site.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:08 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Hi guys; do any of you know how to add a pattern plane to RF 4?

Thanks.

Orlando
Old 01-31-2010, 05:00 PM
shepga

Don,
I'm flying advanced. I 'll be joining the session today.
Regards,
Glen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.