Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Quick Field charger questions

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hobbico Quick Field charger questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hobbico Quick Field charger questions

I purchased a used Hobbico Quick Field Charger (original version, NOT the Mark II) a while back, but the manual wasn't included. I just checked the Hobbico web site for the manual, but it appears the original version manual is not available on-line. I will need to order one from Hobbico.

In the mean time I would like to use the charger and have a few questions.

What is the indication that charge is complete?

What is the meaning of rapid, continuous flashing of the "charge" LED? I am experimenting with a couple of old packs and the TX LED flashed continuous rapid after what I believe was an appropriate charge time. The battery voltage is reading full charge on my voltmeter.

The front panel of the charger is quite warm, almost hot, after over 1.5 hours of use. Seems reasonable, but I wanted to check others with more experience with this charger.

Does the charger automatically detect and adjust for various MAH capacities of connected batteries?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 08-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hobbico Quick Field charger questions

On the Accu-Cycle, the flasshing green indicates that it is in trickle charge mode. On the Accucycle, you can see the voltage change at about the same cycle that the LED flashes.

You need to measure voltage with the cells under load, IE when the receiver is on and the servos are moving. An approiate size resistor could be used for static measurements. If you are measuring voltage when the pack is hooked up to the charger, your reading is driven by the charger, not the battery.

I wouldn't worry about the heat, the face plate is probably a defacto heat sink.

Don
Old 08-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hobbico field charger is a good one. When you first plug your battery pack in, the indicator light should glow continuously. When the light flashes rapidly, the charging is completed. The charger will detect mAh and adjust itself accordingly.

You should not be using this charger for 1.5 hours continuously. This is why your charger is hot to the touch. It should take no more than 30 minutes to charge a fully discharged (1.1 v/cell) pack.

Dr.1
Old 08-18-2006, 09:32 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick reply guys. The packs I am using to experiment have not been used for some time. They did both eventually get to a rapid flashing LED, indicating full charge. I'm presently discharging the TX pack with my SuperNova to learn to use THAT piece of equipment! I will then use the Hobbico Quick Field charger to once again charge the TX pack. Hopefully it will not take as long next time around.

Tom
Old 02-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Marine_S7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hobbico Quick Field charger HCAM3000

here is a copy of the manual seems it is a hard item to locate as it is the oldser charger and has been replaced

Hobbico Quick Field charger HCAM3000 Manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Zx70063.pdf (97.0 KB, 254 views)