Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Monster GT Conversion With A Center Diff (Finished Pictures, Page 2!!!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Monster GT Conversion With A Center Diff (Finished Pictures, Page 2!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Monster GT Conversion With A Center Diff (Finished Pictures, Page 2!!!)

Decided to start a new project, a Monster GT conversion running a center diff and 6S. This thing will be a great conversion project as it is a great MT platform to convert and should hold up alot better than my E-maxx.

So, after having my E-Maxx for a couple years now and after upgrading it constantly and it still breaks, I decided it was time to retire the Maxx and convert a new MT. I have an old, original Monster GT, and after some thinking, I decided to go search for it in my garage. I found it and noticed it was missing some parts (**** garage gremlin... ) but after some searching on ebay, I realized just how cheap it would be to convert this truck.

Anyway, it currently needs....

Rear bulkhead, front and rear turnbuckles, rear diff, rear skidplate, front shock tower and new rear shock tower, shocks, rear bumper mounts, radio tray, and there is probably a couple other things that I am forgetting. I can get all of this for under $75 on Ebay (ordering now).

Electronics going in it will be -

Tekin 1550Kv truggy motor
Castle MMM ESC
Turnigy 3S 4000mAh 40C/50C (2x, wired in series for 6S)

I will be using the center diff setup out of my Maxx (I made my own version of TTYL's Maxx center diff motor mount).

Here are some pictures I took of it a few minutes ago, I haven't cleaned it up yet, but I will in a bit and get some more pictures of it when it's clean.

Also, does anyone know the ring gear tooth count for the Monster GT diffs? I can't find that info anywhere....

More pictures and updates soon!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Krawlin

Default RE: Monster GT Conversion With A Center Diff (Finished Pictures, Page 2!!!)

An update already.....

I just ordered a bunch of stuff off of ebay for this truck, total was $79.93, $102.33 with shipping. Here is what I got -

* New rear bulkhead with complete differential, pinion, and mounting blocks $14.99
* New front and rear turnbuckles w/ rod ends $10.99
* New set of hinge pins with upper arm mounts/hinge pin holders $9.99
* New set of 8 shocks $22.99
* New front and rear skidplates $5.99
* New screw and hardware kit $7.99
* New front and rear shock towers with body mount posts $6.99

Forgot the radio box, had to go back and order that, but it was only $1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330393321670

And for all of that on Amain probably would have been well over $150, so I think I got a pretty good deal.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Krawlin

Default RE: Monster GT Conversion With A Center Diff (Finished Pictures, Page 2!!!)

Alright folks, here are some rough mock up pictures. I will have the clearance the chassis for the spur but not much, maybe 1/8'' to 3/16'' on either side would be plenty.

First order of business though is to install the rear diff as soon as possible so I can move on to positioning the center diff where I can use some of the dogbone shafts I current have. If I can only position the center diff where I can only use 1 of the dog bones I have, I will have to buy an RCM Revo shaft coupler adapter for use with 1/8 diffs and make a custom length rear shaft with a Revo shaft. And I may even do that for the front center since I will be running a bigger pinion on the motor, which will move it upward, which in turn will allow me to use a front center Revo shaft.

Anyway, I'll figure it out when I get to that point. Once I get everything I order from Ebay, I'll get it all together, rob the the 23mm adapters off my E-Maxx and install them on this truck and put on my 40 series crime fighters and see how it looks as a rolller! That will be the first time in about 4 years that it will be a roller. I've had the truck for about 6 years (it's an original .21 Monster GT), ran it for 2 years, then it sat in my garage for the past 4 years and I've been robbing parts off of it for other stuff.

Now on to the good part, pictures!

Again, these are just rough mock up pictures, it will look better alot better as the project continues.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Krawlin

Alright everyone, here are some new pics!

Progress made so far.... got the center diff mounted, got the chassis brace mount almost finished, still have to drill 2 holes in the chassis to screw it down in 2 more places, got my front and rear driveshafts setup perfectly (rear not pictured yet), and got the battery straps mounted.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 PM
DarkFire989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice custom fabrication there
Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 PM
MaxxOrange

Hey man, havent been on RCU in quite a while. Thats a nice looking build you got going there. Good luck with it.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 PM
stcla1r

thank god something finally interesting on rcu.i thought all the imagination here was dried up and dead.it's nice to see some fresh idea's instead of the same old boreing stuff.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Krawlin

Thanks guys!

I will have updates either in a few hours or in the morning, I got all of my parts in the mail today and I am working on putting it together now. Stay tuned! [8D]
Old 02-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Krawlin

PICTURES!!!!

I got the conversion completely finished and drove it around my yard a bit. It's under-geared by a tooth or two on the pinion, but it was pretty fast considering it was under-geared, then again it could be the size of this truck that makes it seem like its moving alot faster than it is (sort of like running a 1/5, but not quite that big). It sure does handle like an MT though, , definitely needs some toe and camber adjustments, its a bit out of whack in that area, and maybe a sway bar addition somewhere down the line.

Anyway, here are the pics......

Also, I ordered Proline 23mm hex 1/2 offset MT dish wheels and Proline Badlands tires. The truck should look alot better with some 1/2 offset MT wheels, will give it a much wider stance than those40 series do.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

looks nice for sure, i really like the center diff idea in a MT someone did it on a savage and it was pretty sweet, now i want a center... just one thougth maybe add a few washers to that ball link that you have setup as a brace to reduce that angle because under stress that could pop off and lead to bad things i'm assuming just a thought....

the lug
Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Krawlin

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

looks nice for sure, i really like the center diff idea in a MT someone did it on a savage and it was pretty sweet, now i want a center... just one thougth maybe add a few washers to that ball link that you have setup as a brace to reduce that angle because under stress that could pop off and lead to bad things i'm assuming just a thought....

the lug

Thanks! And that ball end is from an OFNA Mutilator (1st Gen) with king pin front suspension, I clipped walls with it and broke upper arms and such but never popped the ball out, so it should be fine where it is now. It can actually handle an even steeper angle so I am not really worried about it.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 AM
gelbschnee

thats an awesome build you have going there. i cant wait to see the final product!!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 AM
Brainanator

sweet build! set up a tripod and take some vids....just don't run into the darn camera....
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Krawlin

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

sweet build! set up a tripod and take some vids....just don't run into the darn camera....

Very funny..... How did you know about that anyway? Lol
Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Lilredmachine

Nice conversion... Gotta ask though, whats the fascination with centre diffs on monster trucks?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Brainanator

ORIGINAL: Krawlin

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

Very funny..... How did you know about that anyway? Lol
We've talked on msn about it a few times
Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Krawlin

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

Nice conversion... Gotta ask though, whats the fascination with centre diffs on monster trucks?
Improves the handling and they are alot more durable than any transmission out there, not to mention the mechanical simplicity of a center diff compared to a tranny, makes the truck much easier to work on.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:12 PM
rclugnut10

as mentioned simplier and stronger as well as more turnable you can take out the nature to wheelie and control front rear braking bias to avoid those funny front flips from too much braking, and they weight less, so less rotating mass

the lug
Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Lilredmachine

Well, yeah. I know what a centre diff does... I still don't see why you'd want a monster truck that handles like an overweight truggy with a severe COG issue and that can't wheely. A center diff transformed my Mammoth Pro, but I was racing that and it was essentially a big truggy anyway. I used to put the tranny back in for bashing. Far more fun. I also used to run my Kershaw LCG brushless e-maxx in unlimited monster with a 2 speed revo tranny fabbed in. Never gave me an issue and I was still as fast as the truggys.

As far as I'm aware there isn't a race class for a 6s electric MT so I don't understand why you'd stunt it's offroad performance for better handling.

Still, it's shaping up awesome and I love the way you've braced the center diff... I'd like to do an MGT project someday.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Krawlin

Just finished clipping the video together and such, so I will be uploading it soon. I'll keep it a surprise though, no hints about any cool clips in the video....

To Lilredmachine....

In my opinion, wheelies get old after a while. Sure they are great when showing off your truck to others, but its a PITA to constantly have to go flip the truck back over because it wheely'd and flipped on it's lid. But on hard pack and pavement and grass this truck will do that anyway. My E-Maxx did it when I had this same setup in it and it weighed about a pound more and was front heavy. Center diffs don't always mean no wheelies, just means you have to have more rear traction and good power to pull wheelies. Also, I don't plan on racing it, just bashing, but like I said, I did it to eliminate the tranny, save some weight, and it actually helps offroad performance because it lowers the center of gravity quite a bit, and I run 100k weight fluid in it so it will climb over most things that a MT with a tranny would. And if I wanted to, I can lock the center diff by packing a bunch of silly putty in it. And thanks for the compliments on it. [8D]
Old 02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Krawlin

Video!!!

Enjoy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYYltzo6p8Q[/youtube]

Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Brainanator

that thing is pretty beastly.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Lilredmachine

Slap a cage on it and that is the perfect bash truck. Barely restrained animalistic power and rock steady durability. Beast.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Krawlin

Slap a cage on it and that is the perfect bash truck. Barely restrained animalistic power and rock steady durability. Beast.

I would but I can't find any that I like. And thanks!

New video! Speed runs!

I stuck my 13tooth pinion on the motor and did a few passes and ended up breaking the truck.... So watch the video to see! I'd say it's hitting mid to high 50's, the video doesn't really do it justice though. I'll calculate theoretical speed on the RCM speed calculator for that gearing. Anyway, here it is!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV3ZeadYY7o[/youtube]
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 PM
rclugnut10

thoose poor poor tires....

the lug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.