Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Official Venom Creeper Rock Crawler thread..

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Official Venom Creeper Rock Crawler thread..

Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 PM
zman5000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Venom Creeper Rock Crawler thread..

as i use this creeper only for rock crawling i ordered 2 diff lockers from rcbros.com. i haven't got them yet, but when i do i'll let all of you how they work/fit. our next comp here in indy is december 6th so i have time. does anybody know where i can get clff climber parts?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 PM
zman5000

i think it's just to much power at the wrong time.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 PM
TTMT

ORIGINAL: zman5000

as i use this creeper only for rock crawling i ordered 2 diff lockers from rcbros.com. i haven't got them yet, but when i do i'll let all of you how they work/fit. our next comp here in indy is december 6th so i have time. does anybody know where i can get clff climber parts?
I have two remote diff lockers from Venom. Are you buying a different brand?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Its hard to say why they failed so I cant speculate, it could be a combination of things, who knows. Usually the with normal use the Creeper transmission and drive system is very strong and I have seen guys put a lot of power thru it with out failure. Sometimes parts could be weak other times it could be just a circumstance like a bad fall whith the wheels spinning or you name it and it could happen. We dont know the whole story or how it was built or used just that "it broke" and then people run with that.
We support our product so if there is a problem just contact us and we can help you sort it out.

ORIGINAL: TTMT

ORIGINAL: VENOMOUS

http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc....VEN%2D8395&tp=

Here is the page, Alloy Diff Case VEN-8395
Thanks. I've saved the link. I'll plan to make them an upgrade.

By the way, should the planetary gears that stripped in zman5000's Creeper have failed like that? I'm installing a Novak brushed crawler ESC with the Novak 55T motor in my Creeper. Should I expect that this may happen with my equipment, or is it only something that can happen under unusual conditions?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:10 PM
TTMT

Makes sense. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:36 PM
zman5000

i'm getting the flm locked diffs from rcbros.com, at 12 bucks each no more compromise. they replace the entire diff.i can run all the motor i want, with less breakage. if you know anyone else that's running a hand wound 35t on a 3 cell lipo then they could tell you about the power, but that kind of power will bring out the weak parts. i found that in crawling most of the power is used by the front axle, so i'm beefing up the front first
Old 11-20-2009, 08:24 PM
TTMT

I hope the Venom remote diff lockers work well. I just opened my front and rear diffs and lubed the locking mechanisms that I overlooked lubing originally during the build. I'm running more standard equipment (55T motor), so I don't expect to be stressing rig so severely.

By the way, do you understand how the various "turns" affect the performance of a given motor? Iused to use basic 27-turn motors when I was inthehobbyyears ago. [I was involved in the hobby for about 20 years.About 12 years ago, I broke away from the hobby to take-up woodworking.Rock crawlers brought me back this year.] Years ago, the "hot" motors were the 12 turn units and other low-turn types. It gets a little confusing trying to understand the motors by their "turns." Back then, the low-turn motors were super fast. But if you're running a 35 turn unit and its ultra powerful, how does a 55 turn unit like mine fit in? I seems like the 55 turn model should be more powerful, but obviously that's not the case if yours shredded your diff gears. Is it more the case that your motor runs much faster and that's why it may have torn up the gears when it fell?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 PM
TTMT

I just signed-up for RcBros.com. I saw the diff you bought. Looks really well made. Do you know if it can be adapted for the remote diff locker system Venom sells?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 PM
zman5000

no it is a dedicated locker like a spool would be for a full size car. if you want to use the venom unit then on this site there is a link for the new venom metal diff cases that should be stronger than plastic. i'm going to buy another venom creeper when i get the money and try them out, and have some spare parts maybe
Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 PM
TTMT

My one Creeper is it for me.  I plan to enhance it over time, but it's pretty nice out of the box.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 PM
k-harr26
My Feedback: (4)

Hello everyone

Here is something I found on my creeper to correct the axle lock from kicking out. I didn't go through this entire thread and maybe someone else figured this out already. If so sorry for the duplicate info. I have the remote locking front diff setup but have been having problems with the rear kicking out. I was going to put a full time lock unit the rear and realized I could make the stock rear a full time locked unit with a simple mod. what i did was take the back half of the diff apart and take the the shift fork pt#8368b and put it between the diff lock ring pt#8358 and axle case. this will not allow the ring to dis-engage from the the diff keeping it fully locked. The only mod was to use a dremel tool to open the hole in the diff-lock cover about a 1/16" to let the the shift fork to slide closer to the housing and keeping the ring pressed against the diff. This simple change can be put back to OEM without any damage if you need to. I put it back together and have been using it without it kicking out at all. Hope this helps. I am going to remove the front remote disconnect and do the same mod. I am not real impressed with how it functions. I think with front and rear fully locked and puttting the dig unit on will be all I need for the time.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 PM
zman5000

the venom internal gear ratio is such that with a 45t and 3 cell lipo it only ran about 2-3 mph, not a lot of wheel speed. the 35t is only a little faster but better wheel speed. the front axle got hung up on a rock, and as i gave it more gas the front axlestarted to pop and it made it out of the hole it was in and i was able to finish the course before it let go altogether, but i was done for the day. i just got the flm lockers and installed one in the front axle and it is a very well made piece, perfect fit. i'm going to put another in the rear axle. does anyone know where i can get inconel axles?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
zman5000

we got to looking at the diff locker on another creeper and we figured out if you extend the servo tray you just mount the diff lock sevo to the tray and run a turnbukle, or music wire link over to the locker

Old 11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
TTMT

I thought of an approach like that too. I'll try my rear remote diff (from Venom) first to see how effective it is.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:36 PM
slash4

OK I KNOW THIS IS A DIFFERENT QUESTION BUT WILL AXIAL C HUBS FIT ON CREEPER I NEED STONGER ONES AND I HEARD THEY DID
Old 11-30-2009, 11:55 PM
TTMT

we got to looking at the diff locker on another creeper and we figured out if you extend the servo tray you just mount the diff lock sevo to the tray and run a turnbukle, or music wire link over to the locker

Have you done this yet? Can you post a picture? Also, are you using the servo that ships with the Venom remote diff locker kit?

I've setup my rear diff with the remote locker and, so far, it doesn't seem like it will work. I'm going to do a little more testing.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

You can get alum hubs off of e-bay for like $22 a set . http://cgi.ebay.com/Venom-Creeper-BL...item53ddd530ea

opps my bad those where the knuckles heres the c hubs http://cgi.ebay.com/Venom-Creeper-al...item53ddd70f5e
Old 12-01-2009, 02:17 PM
slash4

THANKS BUT SOMEONE TOLD ME AXIAL WILL FIT
Old 12-01-2009, 06:21 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ORIGINAL: VENOMOUS

Yep we fixed that already and the next run will include the sticker on the parts bags and the manual will also get the hardware measurements. In addition the links have been strengthened and the angle of the link molded into the part itself. The extra grey washers are for making adjustments to the linkages or as needed. The Venom aluminum c-hub option parts for the AX can fit the Creeper. Hasnt been tried here but the spacing is close.
I'm not sure what else to suggest except maybe degrease the pins and VCD parts first then add thread lock then use oil so the thread lock can grab the metal. The production oil can sometimes keep the thread lock from working but I hardly ever have a problem.

For basic running around climbing stuff the wheel weights are not needed. If you get out to some steep rocks and faces you will benefit from adding front weights. I use the 1.3oz kit and add 8oz (half pound) to each front wheel and nothing in the rear and I like that set up. I have another set of wheels for heavy duty climbing built up with the 2.5oz kit and 16oz (one pound) per wheel and thats pretty heavy but great for loose surfaces and very challenging climbs.

The Creeper w/o weights is about 5lbs depending on RC equipment. By adding weights up front or all around you can get the total weight up to 9lbs easy. The majority of that weight will be on the axle and low on the chassis. The result is a very stable and capable cimbing rig thats basically stock.

Let me know if you guys have any other problems or tuning questions otherwise just contact our customer service department and you can get replacement parts for the bad production parts shipped pretty quick out to you.

Chris
read the first part
Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 PM
zman5000

ckrc crawlers has the aluminum hubs and axle c's in stock at like 23 bucks each pair, mine are on the way. i got the flm diff lockers from rcbros and they work very well and the machinig is top notch.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:50 PM
DS

If anyone wants a real cheap creeper with upgrades and tons of extras thats brand new pm ASAP!!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 PM
legion1capone

Wanted to post a new picture of my latest setup on my creeper.

Body: Jconcepts Illuzions body (Blue body), Jconcepts Gatecrasher (black body)
Tires: Hot Body Rovers (white)
Tire foams: Proline stage 2 memory foams in front and rear
Wheel weights: 10oz in each front and 8oz in each rear
Motor: Novak 55T
ESC: Novak Rooster Crawler
Reciever: RC4WD big offroader
Battery: Common Sense RC 7.4v 2000mah 20C 2 cell
Transmitter: RC4WD big offroader radio
Servo: JR DS8711
Shocks: Traxxas big bores xx long with 1/2" of fuel tubing on each
springs: losi oranges up front and losi red in right rear and green in left rear
Shock oil: 40w
Custom:
1. Custom chassis I designed on CAD (See pictures)
2. I have also moved the 4 link to the out side of the original placement.
3. I customized my CVDs to work with the axial lockers front and rear.
4. custom 60mm link mounts to connect each L bracket to get rid of the battery tray.
5. I'm using 70mm posts for my upper links
6. I have also switched most of the rods ends to traxxas rod ends.
7. Customized axial Integy driveshafts. I cut the inner shaft roughly 1/2" to make it work on the creeper

Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 PM
zman5000

i put the hot racing staight axle conversion on my creeper and a set of losi white springs with a semi droop setup and WOW it works like it's supposed to. i climbs  almost as good as a moa crawler, all i need now is rovers or sedonas.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:01 AM
ftt4maniac

I know im gonna make a lot of people cringe on here but need to let u know. I have installed a mamba max system 6900kv in my venom creeper crawler. I wanted something out of the ordinary and this thing is incredibly insane, now granted i dont grab gobs of throttle from a stand still but i am not nice to this thing, and have to say i am very impressed with the durability.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 PM
TTMT

i put the hot racing staight axle conversion on my creeper and a set of losi white springs with a semi droop setup and WOW it works like it's supposed to. i climbs almost as good as a moa crawler, all i need now is rovers or sedonas.
Ihave a stock Creeper with the Novak Rooster Crawler combo anda 423 oz/in Airtronics steering servo. I haven't had a chance to test it on rocks, but I've used in on steep dirt faces and I'm very impressed with it. I don't have much experience yet, except to say that, in my opinion, the remote diff locker system Venom sells is useless. Ithink the design is fundamentally flawed. I worked hard to get it to function right, but I'm convinced it's useless.

Anyway, what are the advantages of the enhancements you applied - straight axle, white springs - and what do you mean by "droop" setup? How are the tires you mentioned better than the stock tires? The stock ones seem pretty grippy.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.