Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:25 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Looks good Rob,Just need to fab up a new battery hold down out of alum or carbon fiber. just to clean it up a bit[8D]
Old 02-10-2010, 07:59 AM
kilimats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would share this mod, hope you guys get inspired (it will make you laugh at the tiny LED canopy mod most do).

The flashlight support is strong enough to hold the light during jumps, and i'm also going to add a piece of foam at the front/back to be sure nothing nasty happens. The strap goes around the battery so a hard case is HIGHLY recommended !!

What you need:
A powerful and compact flashlight, here is the one i use, it has the latest and greatest P7 900-Lumen LED : http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060
If you go with that P7 Flashlight, youll need one Lithium 18650 Batteries and a Lithium charger, here is the battery (there are many charger out there, find the one that meet your need): http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26249
and finally, the CORE item, the flashlight support @ only $3: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000
OPTIONAL: a clear canopy to let the light through (but even with the stock canopy, its CRAZY bright): http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYU1&P=7

Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Willystylz

Nice job Kilimats! It does look functional, but makes me think of the Red Green Show The only difference is he woulda used duct tape. We just need some night shots now.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:48 AM
kilimats

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

Nice job Kilimats! It does look functional, but makes me think of the Red Green Show The only difference is he woulda used duct tape. We just need some night shots now.
I'll have some night shot for sure, as for duct tape, the main problem with that is the lack of softening material which will end up breaking the flashlight (especially if it has a glass lens like mine)
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Willystylz

LOL i honestly wasn't suggesting duct tape though...
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 AM
kilimats

didn't catch that, you were refering to that show ahha
Old 02-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Willystylz

If Red Green had a Firestorm, he'd be turning it into a lawnmower, just like he did to that 1984 Caddy (i think it was, it was big anyhow).
Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
redfisher1974

looks good for night driving.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 AM
redfisher1974

Hey I want a backyard trail/mud truck but cant decide between a Wheely King or a Tamiya CC-01.

The wheely king looks like a old monster truck and the CC-01 is a scale truck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mk26746.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1375698   Click image for larger version

Name:	tp46192.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1375699  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Willystylz

Personally I'd go the CC01. You get to build it yourself and it's 1/10 scale. Plus you can lock the rear diff.......should be quite a capable off-road machine. Plus i'm sure they'll be a pile of upgrades for it too.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 AM
nitro-rob

It looks to me like you would be able to go more places with a wheelie king. The shock placement on the wheelie king has always turned me off, it looks like a toy grade RC with them. Do you have good Tamiya support at your local shops? They are the least represented at the local shops here and parts, there is nothing on the wall and they take forever to come in.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Willystylz

Wonder why HPI made the Wheely King 1/12 scale? While the Wheely King would go more places than a CC01, the CC01 would look cooler in my mind going off-road just cause it's scale. I've always thought of picking up a CC01, for some reason or another the Wheely King's never interested me.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Willystylz

Red, just saw in the CR-01 thread, they're making the Unimog in a CC01!! You need one!!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:58 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

It looks to me like you would be able to go more places with a wheelie king. The shock placement on the wheelie king has always turned me off, it looks like a toy grade RC with them. Do you have good Tamiya support at your local shops? They are the least represented at the local shops here and parts, there is nothing on the wall and they take forever to come in.
I think the wheely king is suspose to look like the 80's monster trucks,I have heard the steering sucks on them. I think i will go with the CC01 comes with motor esc and leds, And i have a old am rx/tx and a metal gear servo as well as a LVA so i can run my lipo in it. Unimog you say? I will take a look.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPEyDu7B14U[/youtube]
Old 02-10-2010, 01:08 PM
nitro-rob

Wonder why HPI made the Wheely King 1/12 scale? While the Wheely King would go more places than a CC01, the CC01 would look cooler in my mind going off-road just cause it's scale. I've always thought of picking up a CC01, for some reason or another the Wheely King's never interested me.
I agree that the wheely king hasn't interested me either. Compared to the rest of the HPI lineup it has a toy truck feel and look to it in comparison. I've heard they are fun as hell, though, from people who swear by them. My only dislike of the CC01 is the small wheels. The firestorm is enough of a handful in moderately tall grass with the 4/2 inch wheels (its why I am waiting for a bullet).

I had a terrible day at work yesterday. It was so nice to come home to a bag of aluminum goodies. I set up a work space in the living room, spent the evening with my wife and FS and worked away on it and forgot the day. I like that the hobby is a place to go to get my mind off things.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Willystylz

Apparently the CR-01 and CC-01 share the same body size, so you could go with a CC-01 now and order a Unimog body if u really wanted instead of waiting for the actual kit to come out.

And Rob, I can't agree more, working on R/C's can be a good fix for an otherwise bad day. I spent a good part of my evening last night working on my soldering skills. A couple weeks ago I had absolutely no concept of how to solder properly. But after watching vids and reading up on how to solder I started practicing and now I can say I actually know how to solder
Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

I agree that the wheely king hasn't interested me either. Compared to the rest of the HPI lineup it has a toy truck feel and look to it in comparison. I've heard they are fun as hell, though, from people who swear by them. My only dislike of the CC01 is the small wheels. The firestorm is enough of a handful in moderately tall grass with the 4/2 inch wheels (its why I am waiting for a bullet).

I had a terrible day at work yesterday. It was so nice to come home to a bag of aluminum goodies. I set up a work space in the living room, spent the evening with my wife and FS and worked away on it and forgot the day. I like that the hobby is a place to go to get my mind off things.
Yeah wont do good in grass at all, but on sand, dirt and water it seems to do pretty good. I was tossing around the idea of a E-Savage but they are pricey. As for work We all got yelled at yesterday for sending bad parts to toyota, Apprently they are not in the mood foor anymore bad parts.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:42 PM
redfisher1974

Hey killimats I dont see any Alum. parts on your storm anymore
Old 02-10-2010, 04:03 PM
kilimats

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

you missed my middle finger photo pointing at aluminum parts ? (it got removed by mod after an hour lol)
Old 02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Willystylz

I think the mods have some kind of image detection software that looks for unpolite gestures
Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM
41billyho

I have both the E-Firestorm and the Rusty VXL and to be quite honest with you there is no comparison. The Rusty VXL wins hands down in every category.

Before I get labeled a Traxxas plant, which is not the case at all let me say that I like the E-Firestorm. I just like the Rusty VXL a whole lot more. I currently have three Rusty VXL's (two were purchased new and one I built) and one E-Firestorm. If you are looking to keep your car stock and just want a reliable cruiser the E-Firestorm will do you just fine. It's a very clean good running car, but if you like the idea of having modification options stay away from the E-Firestorm, they just don't exist (. I'd be happy to elaborate on more specific questions if you have any.

Happy shopping!!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Willystylz

I have two questions.

#1: Should everybody in this thread sell our E-Firestorms and go buy a Traxxas Rustler VXL?

#2: Why do you go into a HPI E-Firestorm official thread and tell us that the Rustler VXL is better in every category?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: kilimats

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

you missed my middle finger photo pointing at aluminum parts ? (it got removed by mod after an hour lol)
No i seen it
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: 41billyho

I have both the E-Firestorm and the Rusty VXL and to be quite honest with you there is no comparison. The Rusty VXL wins hands down in every category.

Before I get labeled a Traxxas plant, which is not the case at all let me say that I like the E-Firestorm. I just like the Rusty VXL a whole lot more. I currently have three Rusty VXL's (two were purchased new and one I built) and one E-Firestorm. If you are looking to keep your car stock and just want a reliable cruiser the E-Firestorm will do you just fine. It's a very clean good running car, but if you like the idea of having modification options stay away from the E-Firestorm, they just don't exist (. I'd be happy to elaborate on more specific questions if you have any.

Happy shopping!!
Glad you like the VXL, As for firestorm hop ups we are getting more everyday thanks to the blitz becoming so popular, If you need any help with your firestorm please stop by and we can help.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
kilimats

so wait, i missed this part, most Blitz part will fit the firestorm ? [X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.