Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?

Old 02-04-2010, 05:56 PM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?

Thanks Alan! every added data point helps reassure me further that I made the right choice. Been converting more batteries, planes, and chargers today and all I can say is: "Ya gotta love that crimper!"
Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: 2Sunny

Been converting more batteries, planes, and chargers today and all I can say is: ''Ya gotta love that crimper!''
Got a shipment of batteries and ESC the other day; 5min. and I had everything perfectly connected and was satisfied with the feel of the connection. Can't wait to get some flight tests and report how pleased I am.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Last year I took my crimper to a club meeting as my friend wanted to borrow it to attach some Powerpoles. We did over a dozen in about 20 minutes and the club members had very favorable comments. I have been using them for years and have never had a failure. Just be sure that you get the "click" when you push the crimped wire into the housing. I had a problem once with a large diameter wire.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Alan W

Here are a few tips on APP's - as I've said, I have been using them for well over 10 years and have probably used hundreds of them (I am into muscle cars too and have used them ALOT in re-wiring / add-on stuff in the cars like electric fuel pumps, custom radio installs, brake controller for my tow rig ... as well as using them for my home theater 7.1 speaker system). Once you start using them you will be hooked at the ease of making connections on alot of other projects.

1) use the correct size connector for the wire - there are 15a / 30a / 45a metal connectors that all fit into the same size housing. For the stuff you guys are using, I'd recommend the 45a.

2) the housings are keyed so you can attach them together. USE THIS FEATURE to "polarize" your connections so you never will connect (+) to (-)

3) make sure it "snaps" in - after the crimp, there are two slight tangs left on the metal piece. When sliding the metal into the housing, the tangs are oriented towards the corners of the plastic housing. Use a (very) small jewelers flat-head screw driver to press on the tang and seat the connector into the housing

4) West Mountain Radio has been supplying the R/C community for years with goodies and not only are they an excellent source for the power poles themselves, but they have a crimper that is every bit as good as the Anderson one but much less expensive.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/PWRcrimp.htm

While at West mountains site, Check out their rigrunner's - a good distrbution-block system for your 12v source to chargers with a bit of insurance built in.

Here is a very good primer article about APPs published by FlyRC

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.html

Again, I just want to state, that I have NOT used APPs in > 60a continuous use so how well they hold up under those circumstances is unknown to me. I have used them in pylon racers pulling 45-55a continuous with no ill effects

Again, hope this helps and I too look foward to your findings on higher volt/amp use of them as I plan on it as well this coming season
Old 02-06-2010, 08:52 PM
mori
My Feedback: (1)

For anyone afraid of the APP coming apart. http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...ion-clips.html
Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 AM
hotrod34a
My Feedback: (36)

Hey Everyone,

Great post here. I made the decision to use APP connectors a year ago after a lot of of reading here on the forums as well as many other sources when I made to jump to electric from glow fuel. I have had zero problems with them at all. They are fantastic for just about anything you want to use them for. The best thing for me is an arming switch and there is a fuse mounting housing that only costs a few dollars that makes a very clean fuse installation using the APP's. I replace my batteries and go ahead and plug them up and close up the fuse. When I am ready to fly, all I have to do is install the APP arming plug into the fuse mounted housing. Could not be a better setup as far as I am concerned and I am using that setup on three different planes. Also, it is much safer in my opinion vs arming the system and then installing your canopy, etc. I do however, use the deans connectors for all of my connections inside of the plane with the exception of the ESC to the motor where I use the bullet connectors. As previously mentioned, the connection there needs to be near perfect to maintain a constant timing between the ESC and the motor. A lot of the guys I spoke to that are flying the larger 2M planes in competition actually solder this connection instead of using any type of connector, just for this reason. The reason I made the choice of using the deans for the battery to the ESC was purely what was recommended to me at the time, so I went that way. If I were to start over again, I would use APP's for those connections also. The deans really do not pose a problem for me, I am using 10 gauge wire on all of my systems and with a good solder joint there is no problem pulling them apart as you can pull on the wire. That will cause no problems unless you made a bad solder joint, and if you did it is best that you pull it apart on the ground vs it disconnecting in flight. You guys really need to try the arming switch in the side of the fuse, it makes it so easy vs having to arm the plane and then install your canopy, etc. Also, as Alan mentioned, West Mountain Radio has a fabulous Rigrunner 12v fused power distribution block for your charger setup or any other power needs, and it uses APP's. Expensive, but well worth it if you have an elaborate charging setup like I have.

One other thing before I close this book with, APP's are used almost exclusively by Ham Radio Operators, and if you want to talk about 12v power requirements and amp draws using these connectors, read a few of their threads online. After you do, you will be sold that these connectors can handle anything we can throw at them. Again, great forum....... my $10 worth.....lol

Larry....
Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 AM
mori

Link to arming switch?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:37 AM
2Sunny

I got an email asking for an example of APP in a plane so here's JAS's old Integral converted to APPs as an example.

On a slightly different note . . . just a tiny poke at the folks who were kind enough to put in links to crimpers, articles, and WMR . . . I hope you all will note that I provided all those same links in my very first post

Anyways, here's the photo examples:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41885.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1378582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24181.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1378583  
Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Jetdesign

Thanks Joe.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:46 AM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: hotrod34a

Hey Everyone,

. . . The best thing for me is an arming switch and there is a fuse mounting housing that only costs a few dollars that makes a very clean fuse installation using the APP's. . .

Larry....

Great info Larry! And, ditto on the request for more info, links, or pics?!?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 02-14-2010, 11:09 AM
hotrod34a
My Feedback: (36)

Mori and Joe,

Below is the link to just one of several sites that handles these. They make a complete setup that includes the fuse mount. You can get a setup with 12 gauge wiring or 14 gauge wiring and your option of APP's or Deans for the internal connectors. That is fine for the smaller stuff, but I prefer using 10 gauge wiring so I make my own and just use the housing as nothing else is needed except an arming plug which you can make yourself with 10 gauge wire. Be sure to re-enforce the inside of the fuse with some light ply where the housing mounts so when you push the arming plug in it does not flex the side of the fuse, or in my case, the side of the cowling. That is the beauty of APP's they are so flexible that you can design them to fit your needs. I have attached some pics of my 10 gauge set-up. Let me know if anyone needs any further info or pics. I believe that you will really like this setup, very convenient and safe....

Complete 12 gauge setup with APP plugs inside

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-15...Current/Detail

Complete 12 gauge setup with Deans plugs inside

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-15...Current/Detail

Fuse Mounted Housing

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-12...unt-for/Detail

Name:	Xv63173.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1378608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94649.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1378609  
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 AM
2Sunny

Just wanted to update this thread for anyone who cares . . .

I'm now well into the second season of flying, and well over 200 flights on my first E-Motion using the APP connectors. Never have the connectors even gotten warm and on numerous occasions I have pumped over 100 amps through them, and there is only minimal evidence of burn inside the housing on the esc connection, and even then only on the tip due to initial sparking. In short, I am convinced that anyone who has had problems with these as a connector for high power, high amp application simply did not get a good crimp. I admit to being incredibly biased, but these connectors are SOOO easy to use, take seconds to crimp, look clean, and weigh only a fraction more than a Deans plug, I am genuinely surprised more folks don't choose these as a mainstay for their electric fleet. I will say that there are quite a few "closet APP users" out there 'cuz I see them at the field and still get the occasional PM asking "how it's going". Anyways just a quick update to say:

I highly recommend everyone try APPs!

Joe

Old 06-14-2011, 05:52 AM
2Sunny

And here's a photo from my most heavily used battery which has about 40 cycles . . .

Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

When are we going to see your "Sunny" disposition at a contest this year?
Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

<EDIT> I didn't notice that this was an old thread when I typed that below. I'm glad it's worked out for you Sunny. That alone has me convinced to switch back to APPS. That's a job for the off season however. Thanks for the update.

Cheers

Wiz

Several years ago, some of the best brushless motors available anywhere were made by Tom Cimato. His company was called MaxCim. He also made the controllers for his motors. He worked in the aerospace industry at his day job. His systems came wired with APPs... on both ends of the ESC. I don't use APPs any longer. I got talked into the current handling hype and I needed a connector with a smaller footprint so I switched to Deans several years ago.. I've been giving a lot of consideration to the idea of going back. Just to echo what others have said, I would not consider running a Deans or an APP connector between the motor and the ESC. You need a good contact there. Either use a large, good quality bullet or solder the ESC right to the motor. On the battery side, I doubt any pattern pilot pulls so much current constantly as to heat up a properly assembled (soldered or crimped) APP. If you did, you probably would neeed higher than the 20C batteries everybody has settled on.

As you guys are flying them just give them a feel after you've flown. If they are getting more than a little warm you probably need a more robust connector. It's a simple test. You can even do it on the ground.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:33 AM
CustomPC

2Sunny, I'm glad to hear they are working well for you.

I've been using them for a long time, at least 5 years now without a hiccup.

What i noticed from your pics is that your + and - connectors are opposite to the defacto standard. When looking down from the top, the normal layout is + on the right. I always remember it with the saying "Red is Right".

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as all your connections are the same, but if you ever need to share a lead or battery one day with someone using the defacto standard it's possible that you could cross + & - with a bad result.

I remember trying to find which was the norm back when i first started using them and the pics on West Mountain Radio, PowerWerx and some articles i read all had the + on the right so that is what i settled on.

Also, my last purchase was for bonded pairs which did away with the need for a roll pin, and those bonded pairs had the + on the right too.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:30 AM
insalacosm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe - I too have had only good experiences running APPs in my planes. I love the ease and flexibility they provide. I charge each pack individually, so when I first setup my plane I would rearrange the connectors to run the packs in series. This saved the need for a separate dedicated Y but was somewhat tedious having to rearrange the connectors before and after each flight. In a moment of mediocre brilliance, I realized that I could simply make the Y on the ESC side by simply adding a single short length of wire - in essence turning my one connector into two connectors connected in series. This only added one additional connector, so it was a much better option that using a dedicated Y. Best of all, because I use APPs, I could rearrange my connectors without having to redo connections!

Steve

Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

2Sunny, I'm glad to hear they are working well for you.

I've been using them for a long time, at least 5 years now without a hiccup.

t if you ever need to share a lead or battery one day with someone using the defacto standard it's possible that you could cross + & - with a bad result
Hopefully I'll stick red to red and black to black if I ever share, but thanks for the tip!

ORIGINAL: insalacosm

Joe - I too have had only good experiences running APPs in my planes. I love the ease and flexibility they provide. . . . .

Best of all, because I use APPs, I could rearrange my connectors without having to redo connections!

Steve

I eliminated the "wye" by creating dual packs with one lead which is altogether different from your solution and only proves the versatility of these connectors!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
insalacosm

Here's a pic to illustrate how I reconnected my APPs to simply turn the ESC into a Y.
Steve

Name:	Tr49558.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1623815  
Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: J Lachowski

When are we going to see your ''Sunny'' disposition at a contest this year?

You have no idea how stupid I feel for not better organizing my May, but I hope to make it up by coming to PA next week We also need to plan a a day of practice together! I'd love to see what you have in your stable these days.

Joe
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: insalacosm

Here's a pic to illustrate how I reconnected my APPs to simply turn the ESC into a Y.
Steve

Brilliant Steve!

Love to see all the options from one "lowly" connector. I guess for me the pack charging issue never came up because I use a CellPro 10S which handles my mated 10S sets as a single pack so no need to change anything. I simply plug in the balance taps and the main lead and the charger treats it as a single pack.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 PM
albsurfer

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I thought the luddite comment was just to keep anyone from posting about which method was better without any real supporting evidence. I did a quick search online about which was better, and while the majority of people seem to think it's crimping over soldering, most of it sounds like opinion.

I was wondering if the compression would affect the resistance of the connection, though I know for welds the compression helps the buildup of heat (increases resistance?) so I don't know.

Anyway, sounds like its really up to a matter of personal preference. I don't like Deans as there is little to pull on for disconnecting and I'm new to soldering. I like powerpoles because the guy I will be flying with the most uses them a lot, so for me it's good for support. Doesn't do much at a contest, but hopefully I can be prepared enough to get by in case something happens.
I realize this is an old post, but in the military, we didn't solder most modern power connections, they were CRIMPED ... in aircraft no less.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:11 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

I have been using 4mm bullet connectors on 10s packs. No problems.

I did not bother with deans or standard AP connectors because their relatively low current rating. I recall it is something in the neighborhood of 65A. While that for 4mm bullets is around 85-100A.

2sunny,

The FMA adaptor board for 10s charger is bulky. I found I do not need all other sockets except the one for the 5s. At the end, I just obtained some JST-XH female connector with wires, cut the board loose, and soldered the female connector to the balancing wires from the charger.

Name:	Lj24256.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1639212  
Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 AM
skyblue

I have had problems with APP connectors not making good contact. It seems that ( on assemling the connector) once you slide the metal connector into the plastic housing the connector must lock into the plastic part. If it does not lockin securely the two metal connedtion will make for a poor contact or no contact at all.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: skyblue

I have had problems with APP connectors not making good contact. It seems that ( on assemling the connector) once you slide the metal connector into the plastic housing the connector must lock into the plastic part. If it does not lockin securely the two metal connedtion will make for a poor contact or no contact at all.
It is written in the instructions that you MUST hear a LOUD click when assembling the connectors. If not, the contact is not right and you must pull off the plastic housing and try again. This is not a problem with the connector itself, and installation error can happen with anything - including solder joints.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.