Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

unsure is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
zelldragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unsure is this a good deal?

sorry, I keep asking this, so is it a good deal? http://www.raidentech.com/exnigasbeveh.html I can't really afford much more :'|
Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: unsure is this a good deal?

IMO no.
these cheap nitros are usually only headaches in the end and need massive part replacements.
Exceed also from what I read and heard, has horrendous customer service that if anything even comes broke will tell you to go buy a replacement. FYI a good lower priced small block nitro engine costs almost the same as the exceed does completely, so I'd use that to judge.
Personally I'd just put the cash to the side and save up some. A decent nitro will be around $230(if RWD) to $340
Hyper 7 TQ black is $280, and the Jammin X1 is $330 those are the best 2 RTR buggies I think you will find under the $500+ price range
Heres a review of one of exceeds more expensive models
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuXYRl3K6OI take that into consideration when thinking about its cost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ewZk...eature=channel comparison between himoto and exceed
I'd watch those before you waste your cash.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
zelldragon

thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, if you dont have much dough to spend and you dont want to save.

i would try getting a CEN 16th scale nitro- they are small robust little things that use standard equipment (and engine).
i hear they are great for the price i think they are like $140 or so.
plus, its name brand.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
breezerboat

No, don't get that. You will love it for about 5 tanks, then problems will start. Trust me, I have done that. Spend a little extra and get one of these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVGM6&P=7

http://www.hobbyfever.com/product_in...ducts_id=10854
Old 02-12-2010, 01:17 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

that thing looks like toy grade to me.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: xxxtsuperstud18

they look like cheap crap up close but if you see one in person they def not. the hyper 7 is a little old of a design and not as good as the picco. but the picco is a very good buggy, great engine and great shocks and extremely tough. it is capable of winning out of the box. i have seen guys running these and consistently getting top 3 in sportsman buggy with just a better steering servo. also they had a DSM radio but that doesnt really help with the performance.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:58 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: xxxtsuperstud18

cant judge a book by it cover, its a very rugged machine.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
breezerboat

I am not judging by the cover. I have had one, and have seen two more in real life. Those are not durable at all.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:10 PM
jmaxey51

i had an hyper 7 and it was indestructible . one week i tried breaking the thing because i had a jammin x1 on the way and it wouldnt break. i clipped a tree and wide open throttle and all that broke was the servo horn and it cracked a wheel.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:00 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

I am not judging by the cover. I have had one, and have seen two more in real life. Those are not durable at all.
i wasnt responding to you on the CEN. but to superstud.

dont for the love of god, get a trinity NEXT.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 PM
zelldragon

is the hyper 7 or the picco faster and/or more durable? is the Himoto ELDORADA any good and what's the diff between truck and buggy? thank you guys
Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 PM
jmaxey51

the ofna picco is the best all the way around. IMO its the best RTR beside maybe the jammin X1 RTR. the losi RTR is way to much IMO. the truggy is longer and wider but parts are more. more people run buggy and they are cheaper tires and all.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 AM
zelldragon

ok, but what' s the difference from a truck Vs buggy, I wasn't asking about truggys, thank youu very much, is a truck cheaper? and what if it's electric? thank you a lot,
Old 02-13-2010, 02:02 AM
xxxtsuperstud18

that thing wont win a race, let alone finish a race. that thing is only made to bash.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:16 PM
zelldragon

the himoto? I don't care to much about racing, I just wanna know what's cheap, Durable, easy to maintain
Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM
The_Shark

if you just want a basher car, get a HPI MT, its a nice 4wd stadium truck, tough as nails, simple and easy to fix.

i would not touch a cheapo generic 1/8 buggy, you will need to spend $300 to get a decent one - $500 on a very good one and $1000 on a custom setup race machine.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

if you just want a basher car, get a HPI MT, its a nice 4wd stadium truck, tough as nails, simple and easy to fix.

i would not touch a cheapo generic 1/8 buggy, you will need to spend $300 to get a decent one - $500 on a very good one and $1000 on a custom setup race machine.
you mean MT2
The MT1 would be a giant money pit due to parts breaking from age. I have 2 ones a MT2 now from so many replacements, no MT2 parts broke though after almost a gallon of run time which is ALOT compared to the run time a 1/8th gets to a gallon (almost 4X more run time from what I've seen).
But yea a MT2 is a good RC tough, and simpler than hell to fix. but even those brand new cost the same as a new jammin
But if you get a used one parts are usually cheap on ebay seeing there is a couple of people that just parts new trucks out. The engines new are under $90

And those generics and off brand ones might looks like a great deal but after a few weeks you will have blown more in repairs than a better quality one would have cost in the 1st place.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:06 PM
zelldragon

hmm, how long would an electric run on 1 charge? is it cheaper? easier to repair/maintain? and thanks so much, but whats the difference between a buggy over a truck? and is the picco no good? I've figured the exceed is trash, and what's the price and speed diff between buggy v truck V electric? is this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT a good deal? I'm not sure, but I think it might break easy, this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT seamms good though
Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 PM
jmaxey51

electric cost you more at first but after the first buy there is nothing else to buy except for broken parts. you can buy a nitro buggy or whatever cheaper usually but then you have to buy fuel which is 30 bucks and if your bashing it wont last you any time. but with electric you buy once and your set for a good while. just plug and go. buy two or three batteries and youll be set. and on the length of time you can run on a charge depends on what size batt you get. i have a traxxis slash and i bought it 6 months ago and i got an 5000mAh lipo batt and it will go for 25+ min but that engine doesnt take alot of power to run. but if your just bashing do NOT get a lipo because you cant run them completely dead or they will catch on fire. get a decent nickel batt pack and you can run it past dead and charge it back up and it will last you a good while.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 PM
zelldragon

ok, what about speed? and is different between a buggy and a truck?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:20 PM
The_Shark

dont worry about speed- electric buggy/st trucks do 20-28mph stock nitros do 28-35 stock
Brushless do 30-40 stock and upwards of 60 with the right stuff. 2speed buggies can do 37-45mph 2speed touring cars can do 35-70mph

its not about speed- going full clip all the time isnt really fun- its scary with a fast car.
dont go generic, i would get a hpi mt2 if i where you- versatile and durable.
electric is also a good start.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:31 PM
breezerboat

Just decide already. Buy one and post up which you bought, not what you are 'thinking' of getting.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: zelldragon

hmm, how long would an electric run on 1 charge? is it cheaper? easier to repair/maintain? and thanks so much, but whats the difference between a buggy over a truck? and is the picco no good? I've figured the exceed is trash, and what's the price and speed diff between buggy v truck V electric? is this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT a good deal? I'm not sure, but I think it might break easy, this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT seamms good though
those 2 are rip-offs
the MT1 is worth $50 in great condition plain and simple. Check craigs list you can sometimes find great deals there I got one of my MT1's for $45 off craigslist and it came with alot of spare parts. Now if it was a MT2 it would have been a ok price, but a MT1 no its was discontinued 8 years ago and finding actual parts is a pain, I know because I tried which is why I made my MT1 a MT2...

the himoto is junk. Problem with Himoto and redcat (most their stuff is the same even part #'s) is you have to pretty much order from them everytime you break something. If there backordered or on the part your screwed. Thats an issue ontop of their durability issues.

As for differences in buggy or truck its the ride height mainly. Buggies are lower to the ground and have a lower Center of Gravity(abbreviated CG from now on) so they can take turns alot faster, but can't go over really rough terrain. A truck has a higher CG so it will flip easier if you take a turn fast, but can go over most terrain pretty easy.
Heres the main classes
Monster Truck: VERY high CG so they can't turn fast. Take my savage for example if I try turning it at almost any speed it will roll over very fast. But it can drive over almost anything in its way
Buggy: Very low CG can take turns going exceptionally fast without flipping.
Stadium truck/truggy: Low CG but has more ground clearance than a buggy. so it can go over more varied terrain than a buggy without getting stuck and still take turns going kind of fast. They make up for the higher CG by using wider arms to prevent rolling.

And electric VS nitro is upto you. Only electric I'm happy with so far is my cheap Tamiya plasma edge I modded, and waterproofed to the point it should be able to drive underwater (btw never tried it) if the need arose. Also built a BL buggy from scrap parts (had alot after the motor totaled the drivechain and chassis of the last buggy it was in), but have yet to try it seeing the weather sucks right now.