Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Old 02-13-2010, 06:08 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Minnreefer
I agree with you, while I don't expect Hitec to extend the offer, I understand they think between the 2 shipments coming in (well ones here already) they think they can fill the bk orders,and get some in the LHS. If they can do that,then I think they have fullfilled what they said they would do. Honestly guys,even if you can't get the coupon,if you can get this radio from Tower for what they are asking for it,and be a super saver club member,that puts the radio at a little over $340,thats still a great deal,even without the coupon,and IMHO the best bang for your hobby dollar, if your in the market for a radio. I usually don't buy things when they first hit the market. I let others be the test guys,and set back and watch. THis goes for everything,cars,trucks,guns, planes,radios,you name it. The reason I jumped on this is because of the customer service that Hitec gives, there has been zero issues, and if there happens that something does come up,I'm totally cofident that Hitec will fix it, as quickly as possible. They won't hide like another manufactuer did when they had there problems. I wouldn't let the coupon stop me from purchasing this radio.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:35 PM
ohnoucdat

AJ look around, I'm not sure what the 6CH cost,but I've found the 7CH for $57. I also found good deal on the module with 2 -7CH rx's. I didn't look but where I found the module deal they may have even better price on the 7ch I'll have a look in a few. The 9CH I think was $87. The 6CH radio deal they have going that comes with 2- 6CH rx's is a great deal also. I've got another 2.4 system and may keep it for my son,but if I do decide to get rid of it I'll either replace it with another A9 or that optima 6. Best I can understand is that there are other rx's in the works,and that the 6CH just doesn't have the telemetry. OH no don't tell me I'll have to break out the volt meter. Hitec is spoiling us all
Old 02-13-2010, 07:19 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually you still get the battery telemetry function but I think thats it. If I can get 7 channel rx's that cheap I'll get them but the 6's won't hurt my feelings for 49.99 .
Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 PM
ohnoucdat

I sent you a pm, for a couple places to have a look. I haven't looked at the 6ch stuff,they may even be cheaper at one of those places. One of those had the A9 with 9CH rx for an unheard of price,but as it always is,he was sold out LOL
Old 02-13-2010, 09:00 PM
AJsToyz

I'm a deal sniffing machine! So any heads up is really really welcome! I'm selling off my JR stuff piece by piece to pay for the replacement Hitec stuff. I can't sell the Tx yet though and holding on to two receivers at the moment.

Andy
Old 02-14-2010, 12:47 AM
boothg-3

i ordered mine with the 9 channel rx nov.21st talked to tower yesterday and was informed they should have some the end of the month so we will see
personally i prefer they take the time to do it right and not rush production ,i can wait
Old 02-14-2010, 02:11 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: TMooreATX

ORIGINAL: zero244

Im a little surprised no serious flaw has been reported on this radio. I guess I shouldn't.....Hitec has been making RC systems for a long time. And they apparently have done enough R and D on this radio to avoid any major pitfalls.
The fact that they are new to 2.4 doesn't bother me at all. Everyone is somewhat new to 2.4.
What really impresses me about this radio is the programming. I find Futaba programming overly complicated with a lot of menu hopping to get something done.
I haven't used a JR but I suspect the A9 is better as well.
Unless there is some kind of major problem I will be ordering a A9 within the next couple of months.
Those of us who don't have one yet appreciate you guys who have plunged into the water.
Keep us posted on your progress and opinions.

Would 52ms latency and sequential transmission of the channels be a serious flaw?
No it would not be a serious flaw although there was some misinformation. Won't affect my flying. If you troll like this everywhere you may get more than "edit" requests. It's not what you say but how you say it and the ATX in your ID that will tick people off (Airtronics is it?, BTW I would not touch Airtronics with a 10 foot pole, but hey that's my opinipn and I'm not their tester and pilot like you are). Everyone can read the article that you read when it comes out.

The games I have seen by manufacturers during the 2.4 releases are unbelieveable for a "hobby". Misstatements, photoshopping, trolling...on and on.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:55 PM
ohnoucdat

Wow anyone else been reading the thread over on the other RC site? It's getting kinda heated over there. From what I could gather reading threw it,looks like Hitec has upset the competition,by creating a great radio,and selling it at a reasonable price. This TMooreATX seems to have launched his own personal smear campaign against Hitec and the A9. I think TMoore is just scared that global,sanwa,hobby people,and any other name they run under, aren't going to sell enough of there units,to keep him on as a test pilot,and be able to sponsor him.

On another note, anyone interested in a RDS8000 with 6-8CH receivers? I was going to keep it for my back-up radio,but think I'll sell it now.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 PM
dszydel

[link]http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t172571p60/?p=4716216#RR[/link]
Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
ohnoucdat

Thanks dszydel some more entertaining reading. I found another thread last night over on the other RC site,where they are bashing the boda antenna system. Really guys shouldn't there be some issues with it,before you bash it? YEs there are faster radios out there,are they priced as reasonable as the A9, do they provide the great customer service that Hitec does? The answer to both questions is NO
Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

The reason some radios are more expensive is simply due to the quality, the micro processor in the futaba receivers are top notch and thus their higher price. Not saying these aren't good by no means, just that you get what you pay for.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:35 PM
dkennedy35

Please.... Being someone in manufacturing, the final retail cost of things is allot more complicated than just the cost of some of the components. Why don’t you consider greed, overhead, production quantities, and inefficiencies as reasons for the higher cost of other brands?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: dkennedy35

Please.... Being someone in manufacturing, the final retail cost of things is allot more complicated than just the cost of some of the components. Why don’t you consider greed, overhead, production quantities, and inefficiencies as reasons for the higher cost of other brands?
AMEN to that..!!! The profit margins on these are Astronomical, the Chinese have shown that. I'm as Red Blooded of an American as the next guy, and I ride a Harley, BUT if someone can build a better widget than me, at 1/3rd of the price, more power to 'ya brotha'..!!!

JR's latestest move with the 9503 with the nearly $200.00 price drop, someone is feeling the heat! Futaba's are next, they are good radio's as well as the JR's, but the A9's can run circles around them technologically speaking. But what do I know, I only work for NASA...speaking of high priced hardware....[:-]
Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I have a couple of E-Clipse Sevens. A little over a year ago I bought a 9CAPS from brand F. It is a good radio however, I feel for me personnally, I actually took a step backwards from the E-7 except the 9CAPS had dual elevators without having to create a mix. I think the price was for the name only as the radio did not feel as good in the hands from an ergonomics stand point as the E-7. I ordered an A9 with 9 channel rx from Tower in Dec. I have not received it yet but the delay is not an issue for me.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:09 PM
dszydel

I called Tower today to check on the back order status and was told they expect to get the A9's in by the end of the week.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
AJsToyz

That would be nice, might be able to get a few out there by next week. I would like one to be mine but I only have a one month back order.

Andy
Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

My order date is Dec. 10, 2009 so I have my fingers crossed...!!! If not I have the 2.4 module in my very low time Eclipse 7, and that will have to do until the next round of shipments...[:@]
Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 PM
ohnoucdat

Well sounds like there gonna be some happy fellas bout middle of next week. Tower can drop them on you in about 2 to 3 days. I agree with Prop_Washer2 ,they are feeling the heat. JR/HH dropped price on the 95, I still don't think it will get many takers other than there brand loyal guys. Anyone notice when they jumped price of there planes up 40% last year, at one time. Look now they are back to original prices and some even lower than before the ridiculous price hike. Economy wouldn't take it I guess. Futaba good radio, I understand good customer service,they have jumped already. I noticed in the MA this month,they are offering 2nd receiver for $10 when you buy,still a bit over priced,and a lot more work to program,still a good radio. So yeah they running around trying to figure out what to do with Hitec. The bad thing for them is, the more of these A9's that hit the fields, and start showing up at the fly-ins this spring and summer, the worse it's going to get for them. I think this may be why,your hearing and seeing all this trash talk,and bashing of Hitec right now. While most of this bashing is back firing on them, Mayberry and the Hitec guys are setting back with a big smile on there face, like the Big cat that just caught the mouse, and letting the sales, and feedback from this GREAT radio do the talking for them, isn't competition great?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 PM
AJsToyz

Well, I hope these guys don't rip on Hitec to hard for the receiver deal. It seems to me two other companies had some really sweet deals on receivers a couple years back.

Andy
Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Wind_of_Change

Hey guys, I lost another plane today to my 2.4ghz XPS system. That makes 5 planes lost to receiver lockout. I can only give a receiver so much power before I start to think there's maybe something else wrong with my XPS system than low voltage issues on the receiver, which is what they tell me I'm doing wrong each time I email them and complain.

A guy at the club today said "wow, that makes 5 planes you've lost to that 2.4 ghz system. You're gonna stop at 5, right?"

I guess it does seem foolish to keep hoping I won't lose more planes, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and try a new radio. But which one? So many options! I've been using a Multiplex Royal Evo 12 with XPS 2.4ghz module, and I love my Evo so much I just don't want to use anything else. But here I sit with a radio that I love and no planes to fly with it. I don't dare fly any more, and I'm constantly living in fear every time I do.

So I have a couple questions about this Aurora radio. I love that it has many of the features my Evo has, so I'm warming up to it right out of the gate. But when comparing it to Spektrum, which all my friends are flying with, one notable thing seems lacking in the Hitec offering. Satellite receivers. My friend showed me his new Corsair setup, and the receiver had two power inputs, which are separate from channels, (meaning the power line-in does not sit in a standard servo slot), and he could have up to 4 satellite receivers off of it. Wow. He put 3 of them in his plane and had them spaced throughout the fuselage at different angles.

If that doesn't give you confidence, what would? But why does the system NEED all those satellite receivers? Even XPS has started selling satellite receivers, which I've been tempted to try, but seriously - $80 for a freaking satellite receiver? Cmon! That puts me at $200 for a single receiver setup. Same with the Spektrum my friend has, the receiver with 3 satellites was $200.

Now I'm all for spending that kind of money to protect a nice plane like the one I lost today. But at some point I just start to feel like I'm being financially raped, over and over and over and over.

Back to my question. Is Hitec going to be offering satellite receivers as well? Are they necessary, and why do other vendors rely on them?

Also, is there any place that has the Aurora in stock? I can't find anything. There's a fly-in this week and I'd love to have a new radio rushed to me before I leave on Thursday.

Thanks in advance!

Wind
Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wind_of_Change

Hey guys, I lost another plane today to my 2.4ghz XPS system. That makes 5 planes lost to receiver lockout.
OUCH!!! 1 was enough for me!!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Meyer1811

Winds of Change,

If you read back through this thread I think your questions will be answered.

For myself, I have lost a couple planes to Spektrum drop outs and saved a couple after they locked out - problem is that if the receiver & transmitter loose contact it takes 3 to 7 seconds to re-sync. In all fairness these were single Rx configurations.

I have had my A9 out to limits of visibility with no problems.

The 7 channel Rx has a booster device on the antenna and the 9 channel has dual antennas with the booster on each.

You can drive the RX with up to 35 volts through a special SPC port and set up multiple batteries for the servos.

The A9 manual is online at the hitec site. Take some time to read through it.

John
Old 02-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

That's why It's so hard for me to go away from my radio, only one receiver with its 2 wires is all that's needed. I guess I won't go away from it, I will keep it until I'm 100% convinced on this new radio. Only time will tell. Now if only they would get more in stock.

I also have watched a guy at our field lose 3 planes using spectrum, the first one was the single setup. After the radio and receiver returned from a checkup he went with the 2 satellite setup and still lost 2 more. Not sure what happened to the 4th one after this happened to it just prior to its maiden flight. The guys plane that hit it was sitting right next to a holder and he turned his back for a second and it took off. Good thing no one was standing there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84815.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1379965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96244.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	1379966  
Old 02-16-2010, 12:27 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

here is some info that might be important to you....

http://www.giantcircus.com/FUTABA-10...rogramming.htm

good luck shopping!

ORIGINAL: Wind_of_Change

Hey guys, I lost another plane today to my 2.4ghz XPS system. That makes 5 planes lost to receiver lockout. I can only give a receiver so much power before I start to think there's maybe something else wrong with my XPS system than low voltage issues on the receiver, which is what they tell me I'm doing wrong each time I email them and complain.

A guy at the club today said ''wow, that makes 5 planes you've lost to that 2.4 ghz system. You're gonna stop at 5, right?''

I guess it does seem foolish to keep hoping I won't lose more planes, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and try a new radio. But which one? So many options! I've been using a Multiplex Royal Evo 12 with XPS 2.4ghz module, and I love my Evo so much I just don't want to use anything else. But here I sit with a radio that I love and no planes to fly with it. I don't dare fly any more, and I'm constantly living in fear every time I do.

So I have a couple questions about this Aurora radio. I love that it has many of the features my Evo has, so I'm warming up to it right out of the gate. But when comparing it to Spektrum, which all my friends are flying with, one notable thing seems lacking in the Hitec offering. Satellite receivers. My friend showed me his new Corsair setup, and the receiver had two power inputs, which are separate from channels, (meaning the power line-in does not sit in a standard servo slot), and he could have up to 4 satellite receivers off of it. Wow. He put 3 of them in his plane and had them spaced throughout the fuselage at different angles.

If that doesn't give you confidence, what would? But why does the system NEED all those satellite receivers? Even XPS has started selling satellite receivers, which I've been tempted to try, but seriously - $80 for a freaking satellite receiver? Cmon! That puts me at $200 for a single receiver setup. Same with the Spektrum my friend has, the receiver with 3 satellites was $200.

Now I'm all for spending that kind of money to protect a nice plane like the one I lost today. But at some point I just start to feel like I'm being financially raped, over and over and over and over.

Back to my question. Is Hitec going to be offering satellite receivers as well? Are they necessary, and why do other vendors rely on them?

Also, is there any place that has the Aurora in stock? I can't find anything. There's a fly-in this week and I'd love to have a new radio rushed to me before I leave on Thursday.

Thanks in advance!

Wind
Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 AM
bss_rcu

It's "MID FEB"!! Placed my order on Tower on Feb-01 (latest member in back order ?!?! ) and I'm optimistic. Who knows if they start processing back order list backwards!! [sm=lol.gif]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.