Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

magnum engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnum engines

I need to buy 4 engines for my b-17. Looking at magnums and saitos. Saitos seem way more, but magnums seem way less. Is the price gonna be a quality of the engine type thing? Or made in Japan for saito and made in China for Magnum?

THanks
Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
carrellh

Default RE: magnum engines

Everyone has their favorite. Some are almost "rabid" in their enthusiasm for one brand versus another.
I've never owned a Saito. My brother has a 125 and likes it so far (bench run only - not flown yet).
I do own four strokes from OS and Magnum.
I think they run pretty close to the same but the Magnums do seem to be more touchy on needle settings. I do not know if the threads on the Magnum needles are more coarse or if the taper of the needle is different, but, one click of the high speed needle "can" take the Magnum from 'too rich' to 'too lean.' The OS, and my brother's Saito, seem to have a broader range of needle adjustment.

If I had unlimited budget I would probably go 100% OS mostly because of user friendliness. It's a personal preference. Since my budget is not unlimited I have mostly Magnum.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnum is not known for their quality control, but I have heard their 4-strokes are pretty good. I recommend that you ask your question in the twin and multi-engine forum.
I have three Saitos that are all excellent. I have not owned a Magnum 4-stroke. I had a Magnum 2-stroke that was a disappointment.

Btw, I spent a summer in Marion in about 1979. I had a summer job with Rockwell/Collins in Cedar Rapids. I enjoyed the area very much.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:43 PM
LargeScale88

Did you fly with wendall maakastand and walt mcgee?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was not into RC back then. I did fly full scale - rented a Cessna 150 from a private owner at a little grass field .... McBride airport? Probably gone by now.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stick mainly to OS 4-strokes with a few YS's in my fleet. They are always my number one preference. If I were given a choice between Magnum and Saito though, I'd pick the Magnum for most applications. Why? They may not be the best thing out there but they sure aren't the worst either, especially considering the low price. I've gotten just as frustrated with Saitos so why pay more for a prettier rocker cover? I know I will likely get slammed on here for saying that but that's my opinion; everyone has a preference.

I've owned both a .52 and .70 Magnum 4-stroke in the past. Both performed to my expectation.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Everyone has their favorite. Some are almost ''rabid'' in their enthusiasm for one brand versus another.
I've never owned a Saito. My brother has a 125 and likes it so far (bench run only - not flown yet).
I do own four strokes from OS and Magnum.
I think they run pretty close to the same but the Magnums do seem to be more touchy on needle settings. I do not know if the threads on the Magnum needles are more coarse or if the taper of the needle is different, but, one click of the high speed needle ''can'' take the Magnum from 'too rich' to 'too lean.' The OS, and my brother's Saito, seem to have a broader range of needle adjustment.

If I had unlimited budget I would probably go 100% OS mostly because of user friendliness. It's a personal preference. Since my budget is not unlimited I have mostly Magnum.
My brother bought a Magnum 52 and had to return it immediately (no compression at all). The replacement will run but only when it's in the mood. Like you,,, the needle seems to be the big culprit.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I stick mainly to OS 4-strokes with a few YS's in my fleet. They are always my number one preference. If I were given a choice between Magnum and Saito though, I'd pick the Magnum for most applications. Why? They may not be the best thing out there but they sure aren't the worst either, especially considering the low price. I've gotten just as frustrated with Saitos so why pay more for a prettier rocker cover? I know I will likely get slammed on here for saying that but that's my opinion; everyone has a preference.

I've owned both a .52 and .70 Magnum 4-stroke in the past. Both performed to my expectation.
SLAM SLAM SLAM You just insulted my favorite engine SLAM SLAM SLAM (:-)

Acutally all my engines are four stroke O.S. or Saito but my Saitos [seem] to run better at idle. Never had a YS but thought about buying one recently.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 PM
LargeScale88

Are the magnums trustworthy up in the air? canHave anything happening to my b-17. LOTS of money into it. almost 4000. Do they start easily or are they a bearcat?
BTW: I'm only 14, but help from my dad and grandpa. And yes, 4000 is alot and alot of airplane for my age, but i have won many competitions with my ziroli b-25. I've just never owned magnums before.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 PM
mclina

I'm thinking that if you want to get four engines running at the same time, you're going to want a brand with a reputation for excellent QC. I have heard good and bad about Magnum (my only 4 stroke is a Saito), but from what I've heard, getting four out of the box to run identically may be overly optimistic.

What size are you looking at? If you can pick up four .52's on sale at Hobby People for like $79.99 each, I guess you would be saving about half a grand and maybe that is worth some tinkering.

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I like my Magnums a lot, but... Why spend $4,000 on an airframe and then skimp on the powerplant?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM
mclina

I see from one of your other posts that you are looking for .91's. I'd have to say that for the investment you are making, and the need for repeatability, I would probably go with OS.

Good luck. I'd love to see the final product.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:24 PM
LargeScale88

Ok thanks guys. Once I get them ordered in a couple days here, i'll start putting it together and post some pics. Its a great looking mode! Lets hope it stays that way after its maiden!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As fast as I get a magnum in a trade I get rid of them, my feelings about them are less then nice. I also trade off the Saitos but they aren't bad at all after break in and those rocker arm covers are very cool. I go with OS or YS, if I'm going to buy new it's always YS. I have several of the OS .91s and they are all outstanding.