Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ever going dispute electric or nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ever going dispute electric or nitro?

ORIGINAL: CustomTamiyas4Life

You can buy a chinese 1/8 brushless system that will easily power a 1/8 mt for as low as 150 bucks. I've ran two of those setups on 4s without any problem, and they run cool. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a big block mt if i could afford the fuel, but there definitely are affordable brushless systems that can power a monster truck just as well as an axial .28.
That was my point though. You cant compare a 1/10 brushless system to an 1/8 scale big block nitro engine. The big block will handle a Savage, LST, MGT, etc with no problems. The 1/10 brushless system will run it, but it wont last long. So, the big block nitro engine is more capable in this situation.

Now, an 1/8 brushless system is made to take the abuse and will work great like you said. I may eventually put one in my Associated MGT which will be brushed electric very soon(just waiting on parts so I can do the build on it). But brushless is still not really that impressive without LiPo powering it, which is getting cheaper all the time. No doubt electrics are advancing, but nitro will always have a place for me. They are just too much fun to run IMO.

Eric

Old 02-21-2010, 08:13 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: Telepathic Telemetry

subjective downsides

- Nitro drive-trains have no engine braking (subjective to whether you race or not)

Electric: technical benefits over nitro

- no acceleration lag (nitro clutches take time to engage)

Personally I dont like the "engine braking" of an electric motor. It makes it less efficient too IMO because you cant coast along without being on the throttle. A nitro also can have stronger brakes most of the time from what I have seen.

As for the clutch taking time to engage, I have heard several people use that argument but that clutch will engage faster than you can blink your eyes. Its really not even a factor unless you are overpowering the clutch and slipping it.

Eric
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 PM
dacaur

This question has been answerd a hundred times...

Which has better performance? Electric, hands down.

Which is "better"? Neither. "Better" is not a thing, its an adjective. It is used to modify a verb, but its not a verb. An electric can be better at something, or a nitro can be better at something, but neither can just be "better"

To some, nitro is better, to some electric is better. different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

ORIGINAL: Telepathic Telemetry

subjective downsides

- Nitro drive-trains have no engine braking (subjective to whether you race or not)

Electric: technical benefits over nitro

- no acceleration lag (nitro clutches take time to engage)

Personally I dont like the ''engine braking'' of an electric motor. It makes it less efficient too IMO because you cant coast along without being on the throttle. A nitro also can have stronger brakes most of the time from what I have seen.

As for the clutch taking time to engage, I have heard several people use that argument but that clutch will engage faster than you can blink your eyes. Its really not even a factor unless you are overpowering the clutch and slipping it.

Eric
Brushless motors roll alot better than brushed, one of the first things I noted when switching to brushless was how it coasted like a nitro. However, you still get programming options for drag brake if you like, but in your case, you would like how a brushless car rolls.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:32 AM
searlesy

ORIGINAL: dacaur

This question has been answerd a hundred times...

Which has better performance? Electric, hands down.

Which is "better"? Neither. "Better" is not a thing, its an adjective. It is used to modify a verb, but its not a verb. An electric can be better at something, or a nitro can be better at something, but neither can just be "better"

To some, nitro is better, to some electric is better. different strokes for different folks.
Very well said!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:45 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy a chinese 1/8 brushless system that will easily power a 1/8 mt for as low as 150 bucks. I've ran two of those setups on 4s without any problem, and they run cool. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a big block mt if i could afford the fuel, but there definitely are affordable brushless systems that can power a monster truck just as well as an axial .28.
That was my point though. You cant compare a 1/10 brushless system to an 1/8 scale big block nitro engine. The big block will handle a Savage, LST, MGT, etc with no problems. The 1/10 brushless system will run it, but it wont last long. So, the big block nitro engine is more capable in this situation.

Now, an 1/8 brushless system is made to take the abuse and will work great like you said. I may eventually put one in my Associated MGT which will be brushed electric very soon(just waiting on parts so I can do the build on it). But brushless is still not really that impressive without LiPo powering it, which is getting cheaper all the time. No doubt electrics are advancing, but nitro will always have a place for me. They are just too much fun to run IMO.

Eric

Ok. Compare a Savage Flux to that Savage with a Axial .28 in it....both are 1/8th scale right? The Flux will beat on that Axial like there's no tomorrow...and that's only on 4S. No need to even talk about what would happen on 6S. lol
Old 02-22-2010, 03:34 AM
Telepathic Telemetry

Eric

In terms of racing, the blink of an eye is half of a corner. I campaigned an RC10GT for many years back to back with a 10T4. There's clutch lag, I didn.t make that up. That has been my experience, and it makes mid-corner throttle adjustments tricky. It is the same reason I like engine braking, and its the same reason every real race car rev-matches on down shifts. So the stream of power and braking flow is seamless and smooth to keep the chassis additude from upsetting, leading to less stability and predictability. Two wonderful components needed for going to the edge of traction and control, lap after lap.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Redvanmafia

Nitro is a pain in the ass, ive wrecked more clothes then i ever have working with any of my electrics, my nitro is more finicky to tuning it runs lean one day and rich the next, then it wont start, spills gas everywhere its really noisy not that fast chews through nitro at 35 dollars a gallon, electric is better by far, electric components costs more upfront but in the long run there much better, i would much rather run lipo's and brushless then nitro and have to put in new piston and sleeve's and the constant tuning and all this messy ****ing around
Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 AM
mehrshad

nitro :
only realism
Electric :
everything except realism

Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

OP hasnt posted on this thread since he started it.  Should just make a nitro vs electric sticky so everyone can debate on 1 thread.  I would guess it hits 200 pages in less than a week
Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
robbiesmechanic

the debate was meant to be which is better for a mechanically enclined newb to rc. electric or nitro? it was not meant to be which is better debate. what is better for a newb
Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM
lee172

we can only put our views across, which many of us have done, we cant decide for you...
Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

lol a tekin or mamba on 4s is capable of producing as much if not more power than a axial 28
A 1/10 brushless system will not power a 1/8 scale MT for very long before it overheats or gives out. That is what he was comparing to. The Axial .28 will run an 1/8 MT all day and could care less. People have tried the Velineons in E-Maxx's and they have alright power, but they wont last. Obviously an 1/8 scale brushless system will do fine, but that isnt what he was comparing to.

Eric

Assumptions are a dangerous thing to make. Assuming that I would run a 1/10th scale brushless setup in a 1/10th scale vehicle is silly, particularly after I explained I was speed mad. The system I run in the Slash... Well lets just say the motor has a 5mm shaft, is 24mm longer than usual and is powered by one too many lipo cells. With a 6 cell lipo it would likely push the Mammoth quite happily to 60mph. As for burning up, I couldn't care less. I pay less for a motor than most pay for a cheap pack for a roto-start. Expendable.

Personally I dont like the "engine braking" of an electric motor. It makes it less efficient too IMO because you cant coast along without being on the throttle. A nitro also can have stronger brakes most of the time from what I have seen.

Eric
Again, lack of knowledge of electrics plays a part in this misconception. Different types of motors have different natural braking characteristics. A slotless motor will roll almost indefinitely off the throttle assuming the drivetrain in the vehicle is free and fast. A good quality slotted motor with strong magnets will haul up off the throttle very quickly. Both are adjustable through the ESC in terms of drag brakes. Just another example of tuning in electrics. I prefer natural engine braking so I use almost exclusively slotted stator motors with a little drag break. Nitros feel odd to me when I drive, i like having a little retardation to stabilise the car into corners.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 PM
searlesy

ORIGINAL: robbiesmechanic

the debate was meant to be which is better for a mechanically enclined newb to rc. electric or nitro? it was not meant to be which is better debate. what is better for a newb
If you want a simple answer, Iasked myself the same question.... with electric, you simply purchase the car, plug in the battery and off you go... no adjusting, tuning or fiddling... what could be simpler than that?

Sorry about the yelling, wasnt sure if Iwould be heard over the noise of the above quote!!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Can ThunderbirdJunkie make a stupid observation?

This is the OFF ROAD forum.
Cleanup? Seriously? Running in dirt, and all of you guys that list "cleanup" as an issue???

ThunderbirdJunkie's Savage and 1/8 buggy and 1/10 nitro ST all get way dirtier than his SC10...but it doesn't take any longer to clean up nitro exhaust grime than it does cleaning up the junk that gets tossed up in the crevasses of the chassis on the SC10 for him.

That being said, nitro is more fun ITBJHO, but electric has its place.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Lilredmachine

Blowing dust off with compressed air doesn't work as well if it's stuck to the car with nitro crap. Fo sho.

Not to mention, er, hello? Cooling fins in a nitro head. Utter nightmare.

Whilst we are on the subject, center of gravity, almost always lower on electrics.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: robbiesmechanic

yea thats the issue with mentioning nitro and elec in one thread post
also the title of the thread makes it sound like a debate, and alot of people that post don't read any post and just go off the title
Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

How so?
what about the cooling fins being a nightmare? I only ask out of curiosity seeing they are pretty rugged from what I've seen.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

How so?
what about the cooling fins being a nightmare? I only ask out of curiosity seeing they are pretty rugged from what I've seen.
I believe he means in terms of cleaning. If you were to get mud in the fins it may be difficult to clean.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

How so?
I believe he means in terms of cleaning. If you were to get mud in the fins it may be difficult to clean.
ahhh never had an issue personally. I find it a bigger issue with brushed motors
Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

Ya, same. Either one needs cleaning, I could care less. I'm just a fan of ridiculous brushless/lipo electric power with a reusable power source. A quality nitro engine that tunes well makes nitros far more enjoyable. It's when you get into the crappier side of nitro that it's a pain in the butt. For example I loved my os .18, it rarely needed to be tunes granted the temperature was consistent. On the other hand, traxxas engines have put me through many headaches.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ahhh I've only read about how bad traxxas engines could be

My Nitro star T-15 runs perfect simple to tune.
My savage came with a STS .30 DM engine thing was a headache. took it out after 4 attempted runs (and one glow plug warmer getting totaled). One of the few times I got it to run I had my finger on the brakes and could hear my brakes grinding while it was acting like I had it at full throttle. Got the savage for a steal even with the bad engine (why it was up for auction in the 1st place) seeing the savage itself had like 5 scratches on it. Got it a k4.6 dirt cheap (ok the K4.6 is a little problematic but my issues came from the bad settings HPI had on for break-in)
Also got a G3.0 that I got used cheap that runs great after it got a good cleaning and polishing (just cleaned no new parts)
Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 PM
cummins driver

Assumptions are a dangerous thing to make. Assuming that I would run a 1/10th scale brushless setup in a 1/10th scale vehicle is silly, particularly after I explained I was speed mad. The system I run in the Slash... Well lets just say the motor has a 5mm shaft, is 24mm longer than usual and is powered by one too many lipo cells. With a 6 cell lipo it would likely push the Mammoth quite happily to 60mph. As for burning up, I couldn't care less. I pay less for a motor than most pay for a cheap pack for a roto-start. Expendable.
Well, i guess my assumption was based on the fact that a 1/10 velineon system takes a rustler to 70mph, so I figured a 1/8 brushless system wouldnt be required for that.

Again, lack of knowledge of electrics plays a part in this misconception. Different types of motors have different natural braking characteristics. A slotless motor will roll almost indefinitely off the throttle assuming the drivetrain in the vehicle is free and fast. A good quality slotted motor with strong magnets will haul up off the throttle very quickly. Both are adjustable through the ESC in terms of drag brakes. Just another example of tuning in electrics. I prefer natural engine braking so I use almost exclusively slotted stator motors with a little drag break. Nitros feel odd to me when I drive, i like having a little retardation to stabilise the car into corners.
Lack of knowledge? lol I have owned many electric motors, just no brushless. A stock 20t stinger spins easily compared to a mod brushed motor, so i assume its the same with a brushless, but no matter the case there is STILL some parasitic drag if you are just wanting to coast along. Wont spin nearly as free as a clutch bell. Heck for that matter, you can set up the brakes on a nitro to "drag" at idle if you want.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: black mamba

Ok. Compare a Savage Flux to that Savage with a Axial .28 in it....both are 1/8th scale right? The Flux will beat on that Axial like there's no tomorrow...and that's only on 4S. No need to even talk about what would happen on 6S. lol
I wont argue that. The Axial is not really the fastest engine there is anyways. It does have good torque though and it makes the savage fun to drive.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:03 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Blowing dust off with compressed air doesn't work as well if it's stuck to the car with nitro crap. Fo sho.

Whilst we are on the subject, center of gravity, almost always lower on electrics.
LOL
Somebody's never raced on a watered track.

Good luck just "blowing dust" off that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.