Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Mike,

Do you know if all the deals out there with the modules and transmitters that are coming with two receivers are promotional deals or just going to be stock items?

Andy
Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 AM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke down and placed my "9" order with Tower this AM. Mike and Hitec better come through for me! 

Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Mike,

Do you know if all the deals out there with the modules and transmitters that are coming with two receivers are promotional deals or just going to be stock items?

Andy
I believe the module with the receiver combo was intended as a promotional deal and will eventually go away as the demand for this will decrease as people convert their older radios over to 2.4ghz. A bulk receiver combo is supposed to be offered in the future.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 AM
AJsToyz

Brendan,

Thanks for the heads up, I might pick up an Optic 6 for a buddy box.

Jim,

I cancelled mine this week end so hopefully it moves you up one!

Andy
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Chancho

Brendan,

I've got one 9 ch that came with my radio. I've sent the promo rebate in for the(2) 7 ch receivers. However I will still have a few planes that need to get fitted over. The best pricing I can find is Tower Hobbies which offers a bundle of the module and 2 receivers, either the 2.4GHz module and (2) 7 channel receivers at $129 or the module and (2) 9 channel receivers at $199.With the standard Tower coupons that bringsit to $109 forand $174.99, respectively for two more receivers of your flavor.Whereas the 9 channel receiver alone costs $99.99 and 7 channel is $69.99.I'm leaningto buy the9 channelmodule and receiver combo, butI would rather buy (3) 9 channel receivers at that costas I really don't need the module. I think I'm stating the obvious as your team is aware of this. However, now that it's almost flying season 2010, myself and probably others will be looking for the new standardreceiver combo pricingsooner than later.

Oh, and how is the stockfor the 7channel receivers. Should people sending in their rebates expect a quick turn around?

Thanks to you, Mike and Hitec for taking the time to entertain our queries out here... "Most appreciated."

Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM
chewytm

Very strange. In my message a few post back, I meant to ask Mike if he could get the "BackSpace" key included on the keypad... It appears that the word "backspace" will not be displayed if enclosed in ""...?

chewy
Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 PM
AJsToyz

Brendan,

We need a few people to start stocking the trainer cord that fits the Aurora, most still only stock the older one.

Andy
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: Chancho

Brendan,

I've got one 9 ch that came with my radio. I've sent the promo rebate in for the (2) 7 ch receivers. However I will still have a few planes that need to get fitted over. The best pricing I can find is Tower Hobbies which offers a bundle of the module and 2 receivers, either the 2.4GHz module and (2) 7 channel receivers at $129 or the module and (2) 9 channel receivers at $199. With the standard Tower coupons that brings it to $109 for and $174.99, respectively for two more receivers of your flavor. Whereas the 9 channel receiver alone costs $99.99 and 7 channel is $69.99. I'm leaning to buy the 9 channel module and receiver combo, but I would rather buy (3) 9 channel receivers at that cost as I really don't need the module. I think I'm stating the obvious as your team is aware of this. However, now that it's almost flying season 2010, myself and probably others will be looking for the new standard receiver combo pricing sooner than later.
Details have not been finalized yet as to what the bulk receiver packages will contain.

Oh, and how is the stock for the 7channel receivers. Should people sending in their rebates expect a quick turn around?

Thanks to you, Mike and Hitec for taking the time to entertain our queries out here... ''Most appreciated.''

Typically customers were reporting getting the free receiver from teh coupon deal back with in 2 weeks of them sending the coupon in. We processed a large number of orders before running out of stock on the 7 channel receivers. We now received more stock of these receivers a couple weeks ago and so those coupon orders are not being filled again. You can probably still expect a 2 week turn around on the coupon offer from the time you mail it in to us now (maybe less if you are closer to our facility).
Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Got my Aurora 9 with 9-channels receiver over the weekend. Took just 2 hours replace the old receiver, install Optima 9, and program my first ACRO. I just simply transfered the entire settings over to the A9 number for number - perfect match. I just love the flexibility an simplicity of the program. It makes me laugh when I look back at the day (11 years ago) when I had to buy a 3rd party orange book to help me setup a 2-servo ailerons on my last radio brand. And I am software engineer who design robotics firmware for a living - no software app is too hard for me to deal with. This baby is perfect for my giant aerobatics and scales. The BODA antenna is the main selling point for me to switch to Hitec - even though I have using Hitec high end servos all my hobby life. All my birds are carbon fiber reinforced - got to have BODA antennas. Sweet toy. Well done Hitec!!! I am anticipating for my next Aurora 12 with color touch screen.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Brendan,

I can't seem to find the 2.4 GHz Promotional Module Exchange form on your web site. the web site says "The offer form will be available on our website no later than March 12th, 2010."
Could you direct me to the offer form to send in with my module?

Greg
Old 03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
AJsToyz

This is for anyone that needs or wants a larger battery with out going Lipo. I'm sure there are plenty more out there but its just a start.

http://store.batteriesamerica.com/au...ecapacity.aspx
Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Meyer1811

Hi Brendon & Mike,

Do you have any update on when the 6 channel receivers will be available?

Thanks,

John
Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Hi Mike,

I have a suggestion for the next firmware upgrade for the A9. The throttle lock is a good idea. However, the software should not allow unlocking when the throttle stick is not at the lowest. Being a software guy, I know this is difficult because the engineer does not know when the throttle servo is reversed. Especially, Hitec allows servo reverse to be programmed through the programmer. How about a warning telling the idiot at the sticks to move it down before unlocking?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: LQUAN Hi Mike, I have a suggestion for the next firmware upgrade for the A9. The throttle lock is a good idea. However, the software should not allow unlocking when the throttle stick is not at the lowest. Being a software guy, I know this is difficult because the engineer does not know when the throttle servo is reversed. Especially, Hitec allows servo reverse to be programmed through the programmer. How about a warning telling the idiot at the sticks to move it down before unlocking?
A reasonable suggestion if user programable with HPP-22. Present throttle lock set up has been used in current format for many years with the Eclipse and Optic 6 and allows use at any setting, high idle for heli etc.
Users accustomed to using throttle lock on/off in flight (e.g. cruise control is handy with many models) or use with other functions assigned to the throttle stick would then be unhappy. (now if we could each change the weather <g></g>..)

Regards
Alan T.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Minnreefer

I finally got to see one in person. My local hobby store has a few in stock [link=http://www.myhobbywarehouse.com/9channel.aspx]hobby warehouse[/link]. he quoted me $429 for a nine channel. I am going to work on my taxes tonight and see if I can pick one up soon.

Jon
Old 03-01-2010, 05:15 PM
notruthless

Check out TomsRC.com for 7 channel receiver pricing.

Brendan,

I've got one 9 ch that came with my radio. I've sent the promo rebate in for the (2) 7 ch receivers. However I will still have a few planes that need to get fitted over. The best pricing I can find is Tower Hobbies which offers a bundle of the module and 2 receivers, either the 2.4GHz module and (2) 7 channel receivers at $129 or the module and (2) 9 channel receivers at $199. With the standard Tower coupons that brings it to $109 for and $174.99, respectively for two more receivers of your flavor. Whereas the 9 channel receiver alone costs $99.99 and 7 channel is $69.99. I'm leaning to buy the 9 channel module and receiver combo, but I would rather buy (3) 9 channel receivers at that cost as I really don't need the module. I think I'm stating the obvious as your team is aware of this. However, now that it's almost flying season 2010, myself and probably others will be looking for the new standard receiver combo pricing sooner than later.

Oh, and how is the stock for the 7channel receivers. Should people sending in their rebates expect a quick turn around?

Thanks to you, Mike and Hitec for taking the time to entertain our queries out here... ''Most appreciated.''

Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM
AJsToyz

If you guys go through Ebay make sure you get set up for Cashbackr before buying, saves an extra 8% on Ebay "buy it now" purchases.

www.cashbackr.com
Old 03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
MikeAndersonCA

ORIGINAL: LQUAN

Hi Mike,

I have a suggestion for the next firmware upgrade for the A9. The throttle lock is a good idea. However, the software should not allow unlocking when the throttle stick is not at the lowest. Being a software guy, I know this is difficult because the engineer does not know when the throttle servo is reversed. Especially, Hitec allows servo reverse to be programmed through the programmer. How about a warning telling the idiot at the sticks to move it down before unlocking?
Can't be that difficult - My Multiplex Evo 9 has this feature.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 PM
AJsToyz

Ok,

Heres the battery status, if you get the battery fully charged you will get abut 5 1/2 hours with the back light on and transmitting. I was charging overnight with the wall charger and only getting about 4 hours under the same conditions. The charger is 80mah and I was charging 10-12 hours. It might take longer, around 14-16 hours to get the full charge with the wall charger. The battery was charged on a Cellpro @ 750mah with a trickle charge for the last run. The manual states you can charge @ up to 2 amps but I don't see any reason for that unless your in a hurry. I'll edit this post tomorrow with the run time with out the back light on.

Andy
Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Chancho

Thanks for the update Brendon,

Still the best deal at Tower with Super Club savers - Notruthless, but thanks...

Great test Andy - that should be plenty of time on the transmitter with the stock battery for most folks... It's good to know Ican get that many hours out of the stock battery.I am going to a2700 mAhNiMH transmitter pack, but no LiPo for me, though.Sometimes I go to the field on a Saturday morning and come home around 8pm.Or I want to make it the whole weekend without charging the transmitter.

I noticed something today on the receiver batteries. (I've just charged them after playing with the plane for 2 charges of transmitter time!)I'd been programming away and leaving the plane on for long periods of time in between test programs and mixesfor the past few days.My Cub has a 4 cell 2700mAh pack in it that usually can last a weekend of flying with no issues.I'm pulling a good load off the packusing JR DS821's and a cheapo for throttle. Anyhow... I didn't give much attention to receiver voltage until the transmitter started giving me steady beeping tones..."this was the transmitter's low receiverbattery warning." Iignored it to see what would happen... When the voltagefinally got to around 4.6 I decided to thumb the sticks back and forth to see ifI could get the voltage to drop below the 3.5.You can't actually see the voltage drop on the transmitter because the peakloads are so intense and quick. The voltage sag is at its worst toward the bottom of the discharge curve, too.I was able to repeat several times while jerking the sticks that the movement would stop for a slit second here or there. The blue light would flash on the 9 channel Optima.

What happened was that thevoltagewas sagging receiver control voltage tobelow the Optima's 3.5 cutoff voltage.As soon as it cut off the receiver it also cut power to the servos, relieving the load and the sag, thenimmediately the voltage in the pack would recover to above 3.5- allowing the receiver to come back on line. This split second was totally acceptable and I have to believe totally recoverable should the plane have been on final. And I doubt I'd bejerkingfull rates on all controlswhile on final, too. It was an impressive with the Aurora's Normal Mode - bind/link time under this condition - under 1 sec.

"This wouldnever happen to you,right?"Wrong! say you had a pack with 1 bad cell that you thought was good. (this happens more commonly than one would think...) You could find yourself in the same scenario except in the air. The good news is that you have telemetry feedback beeping at you probably long enough to land your plane safely.However, the manual and otherinfo out heredetails warnings and procedures to make redundant precautions to prevent letting your receiver's control voltage go below 3.5. I'm going to look into one of these routes...I'mthinking to go with page 21 of the manual and usea Castle Creations - CCBECfeeding 5.0v to the receiver off of a 5 cell pack and the raw pack voltage going to the SPC port. I run5 cell packs in line with theCCBECon other planes with a constant 5.0 v out as to give the servos a constant voltage througout the flight and doesn't depleat the pack too quickly with a higher voltage.The $21 CCBECisnice because you can buy the optional programmer to set your voltage, it's a dedicated voltage regulatorand it's rated 10AMPs.

Sorry to ramble butthis mayhelp a few of you. I would run the tests at home when you get your A9 and see for yourself.I wouldn't get a new riglike this, plug everything in and jump out to thefield.I highly recommending everyone to cycle your stocktransmitter battery andspend a few days withyour first plane setup tolearnas many functions as you can before running out the field right away. I'veread countless stories of success in these threads, butI don't like to see or hear of anyonecrash because they flipped a wrong switch, etc.

(edited 3/2 - I had wrote that the beeping was the transmitter low battery warning. Corrected to the warning being the receiver low battery warning.)

Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Meyer1811

Hey guys,

I have my A9 turned on for over 6 hours with transmit turned on and it is still showing 7.4 volt w/ 50% capacity remaining. I am using an enaloop (sp?) 2000 mHr. I have been told that the enaloop can drop pretty quickly so I am keeping an eye on it.

John
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the update Brendon,

Still the best deal at Tower with Super Club savers - Notruthless, but thanks...

Great test Andy - that should be plenty of time on the transmitter with the stock battery for most folks... It's good to know I can get that many hours out of the stock battery. I am going to a 2700 mAh NiMH transmitter pack, but no LiPo for me, though. Sometimes I go to the field on a Saturday morning and come home around 8pm. Or I want to make it the whole weekend without charging the transmitter.

I noticed something today on the receiver batteries. (I've just charged them after playing with the plane for 2 charges of transmitter time!) I'd been programming away and leaving the plane on for long periods of time in between test programs and mixes for the past few days. My Cub has a 4 cell 2700mAh pack in it that usually can last a weekend of flying with no issues. I'm pulling a good load off the pack using JR DS821's and a cheapo for throttle. Anyhow... I didn't give much attention to receiver voltage until the transmitter started giving me steady beeping tones... ''this was the low transmitter battery warning.'' I ignored it to see what would happen... When the voltage finally got to around 4.6 I decided to thumb the sticks back and forth to see if I could get the voltage to drop below the 3.5. You can't actually see the voltage drop on the transmitter because the peak loads are so intense and quick. The voltage sag is at its worst toward the bottom of the discharge curve, too. I was able to repeat several times while jerking the sticks that the movement would stop for a slit second here or there. The blue light would flash on the 9 channel Optima.

What happened was that the voltage was sagging receiver control voltage to below the Optima's 3.5 cutoff voltage. As soon as it cut off the receiver it also cut power to the servos, relieving the load and the sag, then immediately the voltage in the pack would recover to above 3.5 - allowing the receiver to come back on line. This split second was totally acceptable and I have to believe totally recoverable should the plane have been on final. And I doubt I'd be jerking full rates on all controls while on final, too. It was an impressive with the Aurora's Normal Mode - bind/link time under this condition - under 1 sec.

''This would never happen to you, right?'' Wrong! say you had a pack with 1 bad cell that you thought was good. (this happens more commonly than one would think...) You could find yourself in the same scenario except in the air. The good news is that you have telemetry feedback beeping at you probably long enough to land your plane safely. However, the manual and other info out here details warnings and procedures to make redundant precautions to prevent letting your receiver's control voltage go below 3.5. I'm going to look into one of these routes... I'm thinking to go with page 21 of the manual and use a Castle Creations - CC BEC feeding 5.0v to the receiver off of a 5 cell pack and the raw pack voltage going to the SPC port. I run 5 cell packs in line with the CC BEC on other planes with a constant 5.0 v out as to give the servos a constant voltage througout the flight and doesn't depleat the pack too quickly with a higher voltage. The $21 CC BEC is nice because you can buy the optional programmer to set your voltage, it's a dedicated voltage regulator and it's rated 10AMPs.

Sorry to ramble but this may help a few of you. I would run the tests at home when you get your A9 and see for yourself. I wouldn't get a new rig like this, plug everything in and jump out to the field. I highly recommending everyone to cycle your stock transmitter battery and spend a few days with your first plane setup to learn as many functions as you can before running out the field right away. I've read countless stories of success in these threads, but I don't like to see or hear of anyone crash because they flipped a wrong switch, etc.

Great report! One thing that I noticed is with the ability view the actual voltage when loading the servos make you think about RX batteries in a whole new way. It's easy to see how brownouts happen even when you think you have enough voltage. Some batteries fall flat on their face with the load of mutiliple digital servos and they can still have a fair amount of capacity in them if you cycle test them under a light load. I saw this post on another site and it made be realize that many people just don't get it.

I have to comment on the telemetry. Receiver voltage readout, next to useless in my book. Use a loaded voltmeter before each flight and use proper batteries, no brownouts, blackoutsopcorn:
Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 AM
MikeMayberry

Old 03-02-2010, 12:47 AM
MikeMayberry

Old 03-02-2010, 12:49 AM
MikeMayberry

Not sure how I managed a triple oops! [X(] Rookie mistake!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.