Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why the AMA is not growing...........

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why the AMA is not growing...........

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 PM
jdr43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why the AMA is not growing...........

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

You touched on something that has been a problem for far too long. Just can't understand why we can't simply pro-rate membership fees.

"why we can't simply pro-rate membership fees" Because the AMA is a ripoff !!! Why can't it be a full year from the date you join ???
Old 03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Mr. Mugen

Since they state when it is good from -thru, why not just pay for it when it starts? I renew each year in the first week and it is over. It is good for a year as they state. They never misled anyone on this.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Let me see if I have this right ........................

If you sign up on or after 09-15 they give you what amounts to 3 1/2 months free. You, of your own free will, signed up on 09-05. Now the AMA sucks because they did not give you over 3 3/4 months free.

Alrighty.............

LCS has it right. This does touch on something that has been a problem far too long. But it isn't the renewal process.

Geez, Louise.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 PM
wobblyflight

ORIGINAL: jdr43

You touched on something that has been a problem for far too long. Just can't understand why we can't simply pro-rate membership fees.

"why we can't simply pro-rate membership fees" Because the AMA is a ripoff !!! Why can't it be a full year from the date you join ???
One reasom it would be a book keeping nightmare for club officers as well as AMA membership department. Then there are the economies of bulk mailing of membership packages.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
wobblyflight

ORIGINAL: kochj

I thought I would post an experience I had today....

SNIP

Yes I missed the cut off date by 10 days...
30days? Yeah that is over but 10 days is just over a week....
If I had missed it by 12hours, it would have been the same result????
If you arrive at a movie or football game late do you expect them to start over just for you???

Cut off dates are set for a reason - if you don't believe it just ask the IRS!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Reindeer
My Feedback: (25)

Apples and oranges. AMA membership is not the same as a baseball game. He's objecting on the grounds that he is paying for "x" amount of benefits and not receiving them. For example if you paid for an extended warranty on your car for three years and only got two, would you find this acceptable? I didn't think so. Same thing for AMA membership... if I were to pay for a full years membership with benefits, I expect to get to get a full years membership with benefits, regardless of when I sign up. My car club does it, my insurance companies do it, my phone company does it, etc. Why can't the AMA?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
103/17

You know.......as I watch this discussion, I am confused. I have been an AMA member since the late 80s and have never had an issue with paying for my dues and getting my mag on time ??????? I pay in mid December and have done so like clockwork since 1988 with no interuption in my membership. Sorry for your problem.

103/17
ama 4345
Old 03-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Reindeer

Apples and oranges. AMA membership is not the same as a baseball game. He's objecting on the grounds that he is paying for ''x'' amount of benefits and not receiving them. For example if you paid for an extended warranty on your car for three years and only got two, would you find this acceptable? I didn't think so. Same thing for AMA membership... if I were to pay for a full years membership with benefits, I expect to get to get a full years membership with benefits, regardless of when I sign up. My car club does it, my insurance companies do it, my phone company does it, etc. Why can't the AMA?

Right on, it is NOT like a baseball game. The baseball game is either in your room on TV, or at a field AT A GIVEN TIME AND DATE. You either see it then or record it.
The auto warranty has dates on it, time to start and time to end. If you have a problem outside the time period, then that is YOUR problem. That means to GROW UP and take care of YOUR business.

wobbly flight>
One reasom it would be a book keeping nightmare for club officers as well as AMA membership department. Then there are the economies of bulk mailing of membership packages.
That is very correct as far as club officers, event directors, and such all have to keep up with it. Why do you think you deserve any better? [sm=confused.gif] Can you not take care of ONE? You expect the club officers, etc., to do your work more so than keeping the club straight?
How and to whom would you complain if Ol' Joe has a problem and his model piles into you. You get disabled for some time. You want compensation. HOWEVER when it all plays out, Ol' Joe's AMA membership expired the day before, he has no other liability insurance but you could use some financial help. Sorry 'bout that because you got your way and now it comes back to haunt you.
SAD!

This topic comes up every so often. In reality, the AMA Membership Dept. can well handle the year-membership deal, and doing so throughout the year would be beneficial to AMA. However AMA bends to the membership on this one.

So don't blame AMA. Blame yourself if you can't keep things straight. AMA has plenty things that need some fixing. Annual memberships are NOT one of them.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:00 PM
103/17

Well put Hoss.............

103/17
AMA 4345
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

LCS has it right. This does touch on something that has been a problem far too long. But it isn't the renewal process.

Geez, Louise.
But we are not talking about typical renewals...initial join-ups would be a lot less confusing if the dues were pro rated but be that as it may, even most lapsed membership renewals would benefit as well...but that would cheat AMA out of dues money for the time not used...wouldn't it?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:29 PM
skylane_182

I joined the AMA half-way through 2009. It did kinda suck to have to pay for a full year's membership (even though it was worth every penny to be able to fly at my local club). IMHO the least they could do is send you ALL of that years magazines! However, I gladly renewed my membership and it's no longer an issue.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 PM
wobblyflight

But we are not talking about typical renewals...initial join-ups would be a lot less confusing if the dues were pro rated but be that as it may, even most lapsed membership renewals would benefit as well...but that would cheat AMA out of dues money for the time not used...wouldn't it?
[/quote]

Then on the other hand AMA loses 3 months by giving next year if renewing after September 15th. 15 months for the price of 12.

"Applications received after September 15th will be valid for the remainder of that year and all of the following year."
Old 03-02-2010, 07:02 PM
kochj

I Think that the (as usual on forums) the real point is lost.....

I paid a full YEAR membership fee....for 4-months...and only 1-month or real flight time....who cares right??

I am not asking for a FREE 4-month membership....
I an not asking for a Discount....
I am mealy asking for my MONEYS WORTH....
62$ is a 1-year renewal membership correct???
I got a 4-month membership for a 12 month price....

ANd You all don't think there is something wrong with this???
By 10 days???
Hell, I believe I could still cancel my membership after 30days and get most if not all refunded???
OR at least by my credit company???..

Think of it this way...
You want NEW members??
I wasn't a member for the 2008 year....
even though I was in 2007, so technically, I am a NEW membership.... not a renewal....
Most NEW members fail to see the benefits of a AMA membership.... UNLESS he/she is VERY active in the clubs/rc community...
HE/she (new member) will say....forget YOU AMA....Rip off!!!

This leaves a BAD taste in my mouth....I really do see it as a extended warranty....
I don't HAVE to have the AMA....
If I were a company that could potentially LOOSE a customer for LIFE
over 10days....and 62 dollars,,,, There is NO WAY I would let that customer leave unless he left HAPPY....

Lets see....I am 33years old right now....
that is ................2,500$ they just LOST.... ASSUMING I will fly when I get 70years old...
May die tomorrow..... .....
Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 PM
wobblyflight

I Think that the (as usual on forums) the real point is lost.....

62$ is a 1-year renewal membership correct??? NO. It is $58

Lets see....I am 33years old right now....
that is ................2,500$ they just LOST.... ASSUMING I will fly when I get 70years old...
May die tomorrow..... .....
We feel your pain.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19804.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1390009  
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
K-Bob

Like Hoss said. You screwed up. Take responsibility. They were nice enough to give you a discount even after you screwed up. It's more than I would have done if you came across with that attitude.

If I were a company that could potentially LOOSE a customer for LIFE
over 10days....and 62 dollars,,,, There is NO WAY I would let that customer leave unless he left HAPPY....
So what would your limit be?What's the cut-off? Is it 11 days? 15 days?2 months?He11 they're already gifting you 3 months.

If you were a company you would have learned by now that there are some folks you do not want as a customer.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM
cj_rumley

I understand why you don't feel you got your $58 worth, and I think you should. As Hoss said above, it would be beneficial for AMA to cover you from the time you join till the same time next year - it would spread out staff workload rather than forcing them into a year-end rush for renewals. I am not going to make apologies, but rather give you my take on why things are the way they are. Some AMA members, often the loudest, are ill at ease with any kind of change. They want AMA to do business the way they do because that is the way it has always been done. In the case of a change that your experience suggests, you have seen the reply above "a nightmare for the club secretary." It's a crock of pasture patties, but that's the strongest rationalization for not changing that get's considered and aired. The average club has somewhere between 30-40 members. If the club secretary that is having nightmares can't keep up with recording 3 renewals per month, he probably has bigger problems, like rigor mortis setting in. A club of 100 members that I belong to pro rates the club dues. I don't see the club secretary tearing his hair out over that bookkeeping burden, nor is bothered that nobody wants to run for his job at election time.
AMA will continue to do business the way they do because that is the way it has always been done. It will also continue to decline in membership, and its loudest supporters will tell you that's because of the nation's economy and AMA will get better when the recession/depression is over.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What turns my stomach is here's a guy who is unemployed and living off his wife's income, yet he's just got to have his big RC planes, club membership dues and of course the additional "burden" of AMA membership.......

Is it any wonder that at last count the average [AVERAGE] American household is carrying more than $17,000 of credit card debt?
Folks, this is part of the mentality that has helped to wipe out middle class America and is dragging the responsible ones in with selfish little piggies who must have everything right now.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

What turns my stomach is here's a guy who is unemployed and living off his wife's income, yet he's just got to have his big RC planes, club membership dues and of course the additional ''burden'' of AMA membership.......

Is it any wonder that at last count the average [AVERAGE] American household is carrying more than $17,000 of credit card debt?
Folks, this is part of the mentality that has helped to wipe out middle class America and is dragging the responsible ones in with selfish little piggies who must have everything right now.
You know what they say when we ASSume??
We have NO credit card debt
We now make in excess and will continue to save...
Never said I had to go into debt over an AMA membership??...[:-]
But I was merely showing my LOVE for the hobby...[&:]

Folks.... This guy is your typical walking talking regurgitating radio host "WANA BE".....

I am very happy to see that not all AMA members are so close minded that they have no where to go but down there
own road...

Thank you cj_rumley...
I can squarely see that you are quite educated and very tolerable of others ideas and thoughts...

Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM
kochj

Shish-K_Bob....

You have many preconceived notions....
Here is one for you:

You seem very angry....

I can tell that you do not own any kind of business...
If you did.... (Did the key word here).... OWN
Would have nothing to do with the current economic conditions...
But rather Self inflicted suicide...

I would hope you are in accounting or work in a warehouse....
Packed well away from the business forefront...dealing with clients, customers
Or how ever you make your income....

The AMA is a Business
Where on the AMA website lets potential members aware that signing up before Sept 15th
Will not continue to the following year???

Please with you Infinite Knowledge, share this with us ohhh great one....
(Now that is what I would call ATTITUDE)....
Where on the AMA website Explains this "Membership ruling"

my previous posts were merely
An experience I had and the impression it placed upon me...
Then I shared with others...
Take from it what you will....
IF you were truly an asset to the AMA you would see that it isn't a good thing...
I want the AMA to grow and would be willing to try to change things for the better....
I want my hobby and sport to continue to grow exponentially.
Not be full of unruly preconceived notions about people...
What do you bring to the table??
Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 PM
combatpigg

kochj..if the shoe doesn't fit, then why the melodramatic sob story?
The AMA offered you a nice deal to accomodate you and you still came here to bleat your case.

THE TRUTH? YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 PM
cheezer1222

Like Hoss said. You screwed up. Take responsibility. They were nice enough to give you a discount even after you screwed up. It's more than I would have done if you came across with that attitude.
He may have screwed up the timing, but what I think that some people are failing to understand is that when he's signing up or renewing he's paying for a YEAR membership. You can talk about screwing up cutoffs all you want, but the fact of the matter is when you renew for another YEAR, you should be covered for another YEAR. Not 3 months, not 5 months, not 11 months. A YEAR!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:09 PM
combatpigg

They could offer a rate calculated daily [for what's left of] the first year. If they were to put a system like that into play, I doubt it would amount to a hill of beans as to why the AMA is or is not growing.
Let's give the average guy who is contemplating joining a little more credit [for having a good reason to join] than that.....
Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Mr. Mugen

ORIGINAL: cheezer1222

He may have screwed up the timing, but what I think that some people are failing to understand is that when he's signing up or renewing he's paying for a YEAR membership. You can talk about screwing up cutoffs all you want, but the fact of the matter is when you renew for another YEAR, you should be covered for another YEAR. Not 3 months, not 5 months, not 11 months. A YEAR!!!
Well there is always the option to wait until Jan. 1 to renew if you feel ripped off. This way you get all you paid for and everyone is happy. When they say 1 year I am taking it that that means just that. A 2009 membership is a 1 year membership. Believe it or not so is the 2010 membership. Exactly a year. It would be nice to have a half year rate but then the debate would be what 6 months.....some would only want outdoor flying months some would rather opt for the winter months when they fly indoor. Either way you won't make everyone happy. If Mc Cain was the man you'd hear the same crap.....different name involved.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 AM
wobblyflight

See http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/912.pdffor information about pro rating AMA dues.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 AM
K-Bob

The AMA is a Business
Where on the AMA website lets potential members aware that signing up before Sept 15th
Will not continue to the following year???

Please with you Infinite Knowledge, share this with us ohhh great one....
(Now that is what I would call ATTITUDE)....
Where on the AMA website Explains this "Membership ruling"

Distorting a users name is infantile and does nothing to further your point. Wobbly flight provided a link for you. Beat me to it. But just so you can't claim that having to follow a link is unfair and violates your constitutional rights to fly giant scale models ............. Here you go. Direct from the Application form, verbatim.

"Membership ends each year on December 31, regardless of the date a membership application is received. All membership benefits begin on the day of receipt at AMA Headquarters of a properly completed<o></o>

application and correct dues payment. Applications received after September 15 will be valid for the remainder of that year and all of the following year. If a magazine is included with the membership, it begins with the first<o></o>

issue available for the year after a correct current application and payment are received; it expires with the issue printed in December (which is dated January of the following year). Membership rates and insurance limits are<o></o>

those in effect at the time of printing. Actual cost of dues and amount of insurance coverage is subject to change. Any such changes will be noted at the time of membership processing so they may be accepted or not."<o></o>

You're welcome. If I can help you in any other way please let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.