Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:29 AM
pgroom_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

ORIGINAL: stalyoni
nah pete the surf is to good in australia, i would never leave.
I bought it from my LHS as a complete set.
I have had a few beers and charged up all my lipos and tx batteries, its just a shame theres to much wind.
Ill try again in the morning.
BTW pete how you going with that walkera, have you had any success with it yet?
The blade sr is in stock @ ********* for $300 AUD but im broke
I will get it in the next few weeks.
ps. time to hit up the sims i think.
Hey again Brendon,

Just a quick reply before I go to bed.......

I had the [link=http://www.besthobbysite.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=150_152&products_id=12592]Walkera CB180D[/link] doing tail-in funnels 4.5 metres above the floor at the last heli meet - surprised myself! Even Don commented that I must have got a lot of practice in with it - but it was only due to the better blades! I settled on the "B-blades" that I bought via ebay for my Big Lama in bulk (I think I [sm=72_72.gif]got 10 sets of 4 blades originally). They fit really nice and have less pitch built into them. I think the blades are behaving better on this bird than taped & on a Big Lama.........

Night - [sm=sleeping.gif] Z Z z z z z z . . . . .

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. When you get the Blade SR you'll have to bring to along and show me what it can do on 9 March!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97153.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1387642  
Old 02-27-2010, 02:20 PM
CFDfireman

Hey Edmund, sorry to hear about your canopy. Thank your lucky stars it wasn't much worst I fly the Model 4 boom and is very easy to install. My skids and blades are Phase ll. I see you live in South Africa but, I'm pretty sure this guy ships world wide: www.djkhobby.com He is a true artist. Anything you want custom painted. I reinforce the Xtreme canopy holes with pieces of broken stock canopy. I have a clear Xtreme canopy that I reinforced with these broken pieces on the inside and outside of the holes. Not pretty but very durable. In fact, I had a bad crash a couple weeks ago and have to do over one hole.

I got my Skytec parts Fri. and the top bearing collar is a breeze to install. The lower rotor is one piece metal These parts are very impressive. Real quality stuff

Mike.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Edmund2

Tx, will order from them, in the interim my local supplier could help with a silver L4 body and I walked away with a BOL as well. Suppose will meet at you at that forum as well. Only took the CP out to takepictures of my now 3 Esky models. The hideawy is getting cramped now.

Once the new body and bladeswere fitted and the 1/2 turn adjustment on the arm was done and the lights pushed into the fuselage I started up. It lifted straight up, no more reverse flying but the tail was ever so slightly lookingfor centre. No sideways drift or anything else either. Will do the 4 in 1 again to get rid of the small twitch.

When the BOL is mastered I will take the CP out.

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Makes sense to me. Will check where to get it from and order.Will still keep the CP hidden under the bed.

Hey again Edmund,

BoomTownHobbies (BTH) has all of these products in stock now! [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_Canopy_Color_type_for_Lama_v4_p/esl401-c.htm]Xtreme canopy[/link], [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/BoomTownHobbies_Model_4_Boom_Kit_for_CX2_and_Lama_ p/bth010.htm]Model 4 boom kit[/link] (available with black or yellow stabilizer fins OR... red main boom etc), and of course their famous [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/BoomTownHobbies_Ultra_Flex_Skids_Lama_V4_p/bth006.htm]ultra-flex skids[/link]
Tony, maybe we should have negotiated a commission with BTH?

P.S. The installation video for the model 4 boom on their site is a nice touch........
P.P.S. Best to keep the CP where it is for now I think.....![sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 03-01-2010, 03:17 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: CFDfireman
Hey Edmund, sorry to hear about your canopy. Thank your lucky stars it wasn't much worst I fly the Model 4 boom and is very easy to install. My skids and blades are Phase ll. I see you live in South Africa but, I'm pretty sure this guy ships world wide: www.djkhobby.com He is a true artist. Anything you want custom painted. I reinforce the Xtreme canopy holes with pieces of broken stock canopy. I have a clear Xtreme canopy that I reinforced with these broken pieces on the inside and outside of the holes. Not pretty but very durable. In fact, I had a bad crash a couple weeks ago and have to do over one hole.
I got my Skytec parts Fri. and the top bearing collar is a breeze to install. The lower rotor is one piece metal These parts are very impressive. Real quality stuff
Hey again Mike,

Could you provide a link or a pic of your new Skytec lower hub? Thanks.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:21 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Edmund2
Tx, will order from them, in the interim my local supplier could help with a silver L4 body and I walked away with a BOL as well. Suppose will meet at you at that forum as well. Only took the CP out to take pictures of my now 3 Esky models. The hideawy is getting cramped now.
Once the new body and blades were fitted and the 1/2 turn adjustment on the arm was done and the lights pushed into the fuselage I started up. It lifted straight up, no more reverse flying but the tail was ever so slightly looking for centre. No sideways drift or anything else either. Will do the 4 in 1 again to get rid of the small twitch.
When the BOL is mastered I will take the CP out.
Hey again Edmund,

So I will read you on the Big Lama forum as well........
I own three BOLs also - two 2.4G & an FM

P.S. Lama4 for indoors & BOL for outdoors[sm=72_72.gif]................hmmmmm[sm=wink_smile.gif]
P.P.S. Order yourself TWO of [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150399006119&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT]THESE[/link] cams (& two 2GB microSD cards - attach one cam with velcro to the brim of your cap, and the other between the skids of your birds. Then you can show me how you fly cheaply
Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
CFDfireman

Hey again Mike,

Could you provide a link or a pic of your new Skytec lower hub? Thanks.

[/quote]

Here ya go Peter. This is the whole line of Skytec parts for the V4. The upper collar is called a "Foxing Collar" which is a bad pic. There are actually "two" grub screws (1.50mm) that hold it in place (there is no way you can put this on the wrong way). As for the lower rotor, you cannot use Xtreme links that you get with the Xtreme swash as I found it binds on hard ELE. The stock links work well. These are the only 2 parts I bought. Our USA supplier is Leethetreeguy and Sven (whom I know, you know).
http://www.skytec-rc-shop.de/index.p...da09170209c014

I'm saving for the swash and upper rotor head

Mike.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again Edmund,

Are you aware that you can use your 2.4G BOL Tx ET4 ...OR the ET6I that you got with your CP to fly both your sim & any Esky 2.4G coaxial birds that you buy?? Retro-fitting is free usually![sm=49_49.gif]

P.S. You can easily & perfectly fly a 4-channel bird such as the Lama, Hunter or BOL with a 6-channel Transmitter - but not a 6-channel bird inverted with a 4-channel Tx - whether the Tx is 2.4G or FM - as long as it is the same brand-name (such as Esky with Esky) - or you can fly anything with an after-market computer radio (such as the [link=https://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=591]DX6I[/link] - but you mostly have to buy special Rx for your heli)
P.P.S. A newbie can fly a non-coaxial bird in CLEARVIEW SIM with your ET6I also - including inverted. This is the best way to learn how to do something with your actual models 'cause it is all goes wrong you can just "press spacebar to reset"
Old 03-03-2010, 05:36 PM
pgroom_68

Peter, Let us know when you get the Rhino's. BTW, that 610mah fits into my mcX tx no prob.
Hey again Mike,

The [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7305]Rhino 610mAh 7.4V[/link] lipos have arrived and one is already installed in my ET4 Tx. I just soldered a jst female onto the black wire (top left) and red wire (top right) of the battery box and routed the wire INSIDE the Tx with the socket sticking slightly through a gap top left. Then I can plug and un-plug the lipo at will! When I get more flights out of it I will tell you the total number (5 so far).........

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I used a Tx that only took four (4) 1.5V AAs - an ET4, but I'm sure it would also be good in an ET6

Name:	Jh14625.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1390549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88454.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1390550  
Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
stalyoni

looks like a good idea pete. I might have to look into that.

ps. I want to see your flips and loops on clearview now you have them figured out ok. Ill try and make another dream run soon.

Stal.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
hottrk51

Hi Peter,
If the Tx uses eight (8) 1.5 v batteries, that's 12v, right? Or a min of 9.6 if nicads are used at 1,2v. So how is the Tx going to perform with only 7.4 v? Or am I missing something? [sm=50_50.gif]
Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: hottrk51
Hi Peter,
If the Tx uses eight (8) 1.5 v batteries, that's 12v, right? Or a min of 9.6 if nicads are used at 1,2v. So how is the Tx going to perform with only 7.4 v? Or am I missing something? [sm=50_50.gif]
Hey again 51,

No, your calculations are correct! BUT I use & converted a 2.4G Tx (model ET4) that uses ONLY 4 AAs=6V

Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM
pgroom_68

looks like a good idea pete. I might have to look into that.
ps. I want to see your flips and loops on clearview now you have them figured out ok. Ill try and make another dream run soon.
Hey again Brendon,

Will do. It appears that I have been cut off from accessing [link=http://www.mediafire.com/error.php?errno=320]Mediafire[/link] - this may take longer than I thought........

Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 PM
stalyoni

im having no problems with mediaifre pete

Stal.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
CFDfireman

The [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7305]Rhino 610mAh 7.4V[/link] lipos have arrived and one is already installed in my ET4 Tx. I just soldered a jst female onto the black wire (top left) and red wire (top right) of the battery box and routed the wire INSIDE the Tx with the socket sticking slightly through a gap top left. Then I can plug and un-plug the lipo at will! When I get more flights out of it I will tell you the total number (5 so far).........

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I used a Tx that only took four (4) 1.5V AAs - an ET4, but I'm sure it would also be good in an ET6
Peter, that is awsome news. Please keep us in the loop as to how many flights you get from your TX. That same lipo fits into my mcX TX so, I should be good to go...right? Right now I'm using 1.2v 2200mah rechargable batts in both my TX and 1s lipo charger.

Hey hot, I also use (8) 1.2v 2200mah rechargable batts in my Esky TX. The 3rd green light goes out after first flight but, the remaining two stays green for some time (this is normal to my understanding). BTW, leethetreeguy is experimenting using 2 rhinos in a (8) AA batt Esky TX wired in series. Everyone is awaiting results on that.

Mike.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
pgroom_68

[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Peter, that is awsome news. Please keep us in the loop as to how many flights you get from your TX. That same lipo fits into my mcX TX so, I should be good to go...right? Right now I'm using 1.2v 2200mah rechargable batts in both my TX and 1s lipo charger.
Hey hot, I also use (8) 1.2v 2200mah rechargable batts in my Esky TX. The 3rd green light goes out after first flight but, the remaining two stays green for some time (this is normal to my understanding). BTW, leethetreeguy is experimenting using 2 rhinos in a (8) AA batt Esky TX wired in series. Everyone is awaiting results on that.
Hey again Mike,

I've got a total of 15 flights from one [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7305]Rhino 610mAh 7.4V[/link] in the battery case of my 4 x AA-sized Tx - then my [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270540766730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT]Lipo alarm[/link] told me it was time to recharge or I wouldn't get another flight safely in - or I would kill the lipo permanently
The lipo alarm fits in the battery area at the same time also (and the cover just fits) - another bonus
I charge the Tx lipo at the same time as my flight lipos[sm=wink_smile.gif]

P.S. Why would leethetreeguys wire 2 lipos in series? Why not search & buy one lipo with the correct dimensions? I don't have time to search for an Esky Tx lipo now, but [link=http://www.rchelicoptershop.com/catalog/hyperlithium-111v-2200mah-lipo-battery-for-walkera-transmitter-p-927.html?osCsid=06570c9r4dvnt3tt00c4js14f3]HERE[/link] is a transmitter lipo that I bought for my Walkera Tx a while ago
Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 AM
erdnuckel2

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68
I don't have time to search for an Esky Tx lipo now, but [link=http://www.rchelicoptershop.com/catalog/hyperlithium-111v-2200mah-lipo-battery-for-walkera-transmitter-p-927.html?osCsid=06570c9r4dvnt3tt00c4js14f3]HERE[/link] is a transmitter lipo that I bought for my Walkera Tx a while ago
Hi Peter,

here is another one:
http://www.wowhobbies.com/transmitte...801radios.aspx (in case you live in the US this may be a good alternative)

... but the best alternative might be this one:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...er_Lipoly_Pack

Sven

Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
stalyoni

what about this one for the esky tx pete, would it be to big?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Receiver_Pack_

Stal.

ps. i currently use rechargable AA batteries but i never get more then 2 bars. When i turn it on it take up to two minutes sometimes for the red light to start blinking and iniatalize.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Will those batteries fit with out modification?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again guys,

I don't have time to search for the correct dimensioned lipo for an Esky 8AA battery compartment - nor do I need one - as I only use the one Tx (ET4) to fly all my 6 x birds - [sm=72_72.gif]but you'll have rulers and/or calipers[sm=49_49.gif]

Wheelnut, It's not a straight swap. You must solder in a female jst internally and push the socket through any gap big enough in the battery box of your Tx and hot glue it there - so you can plug the correct lipo's jst male into it and it will take the place of the AAs (how many you are currently running now in your Tx determines the number of lipo cells).
But, if you are meaning does the voltage difference make any diff? Not so far. The Tx seems to handle the lipos way of dicharging the amps really well!
.....Sorry if I'm telling you things that you already know - but I am trying to keep it simple so newbie readers can read along & still understand[sm=wink_smile.gif]

There are a few things to remember: The LEDs on the front of your Tx become useless after a change like this - so you have to use the jst-xh socket of your lipo to add one of [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270540766730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2133wt_732]THESE[/link] Lipo alarms which fit inside the battery box along with the lipo (eg. for a 4 x AA Tx [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7305]THIS[/link] 7.4V lipo is fine) see pic below

P.S. Thanks for finding those other Walkera Tx lipos guys, but the Esky battery area has unique dimensions - which means that it will have a unique lipo.
P.P.S. Logging off and going out soon.

Name:	By76471.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1391922  
Old 03-06-2010, 05:44 AM
pgroom_68

what about this one for the esky tx pete, would it be to big?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Receiver_Pack_
ps. i currently use rechargable AA batteries but i never get more then 2 bars. When i turn it on it take up to two minutes sometimes for the red light to start blinking and iniatalize.
Hey again Brendon,

Nope - definitely to thick to fit into the Esky lipo area

P.S. Brendon, get a [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7346&Product_Name=Rhino_2620mAh_3S_11.1v_Transmitter_Li poly_Pack]Rhino Transmitter Lipo[/link] WHEN you buy a DX7 as an upgrade to fly your Blade SR in the future[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Lipos are ideally suited to Transmitters IMO 'cause they can sit in the device for many weeks and not discharge (as a NiMH can) - unless of course you fly with them everyday including your sim............
Old 03-06-2010, 02:59 PM
stalyoni

Pete ive been watching a few Dx7's on the bays of e but i really dont have any more to spare. I cant fly my v4 till i get another canopy too. Last time i went the due of the grass almost short curcuited things.

BTW wheres your run from clearview with the loops and things? I tried make one the other day but i cant use it now after using realflight G4.5 for so long. Clearview seems so primitive now in comparison. I just like using it cause i can fly my msr in it.

Stal.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 PM
pgroom_68

Pete ive been watching a few Dx7's on the bays of e but i really dont have any more to spare. I cant fly my v4 till i get another canopy too. Last time i went the due of the grass almost short curcuited things.
BTW wheres your run from clearview with the loops and things? I tried make one the other day but i cant use it now after using realflight G4.5 for so long. Clearview seems so primitive now in comparison. I just like using it cause i can fly my msr in it.
Hey again Brendon,

I was suggesting you buy the Blade SR first - then along the road a while you look into a DX7. I have got no Lama4 canopies left (only the lime green painted one). I won't need that soon 'cause of the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWtkEcYJGE4]Alien Spacecraft[/link] project that I am slowly doing......
Haven't done any more 6-channel bird Clearview runs since finding out (by trial & error) that I can follow your stick movements - it is mostly the MSR, Dragonfly FP, and Twister Coast Guard coaxial models that I am flying right now.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:47 PM
barak1001

Stalyoni,

Just like to mention that my HK450 has been airborne for a while and it actually is just as stable as the SR in the videos, if not more so.

That's with no special radio programming. I just used the flybar weights included with the kit. I figured you'd be curious as to how it flies.

Tony
Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 PM
stalyoni

no im not actually and good luck to ya

Stal.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:11 PM
CFDfireman

Hi Peter, Thank you for the update. 15 flights is pretty impressive. I just checked my log book and I get about 17 flights with my 1.2v 2200mah rechargables. Not sure if it's worth the change over to a lipo. Another thing is, there's not enough room in the compartment for a lipo alarm( this is my mcX tx). I could "guess-ta-mate" but, I would risk ruining a lipo.

The reason leethetreeguy wired the lipos in series is because he used lipos that were on hand. As I understand, he leaves the cover off on the TX compartment and keeps them in place with velcrow.

Does your Walkera TX take 8 AA batts?

Tony, I can hardly wait for a vid of you flying your HK-450. You must be getting a good feel for it by now. Just stay away from those pile of bricks in your back yard

Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.